PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Salon Visit Please

WritingPrincess
September 12th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I know this is short notice, but I was wondering if you could help me. My mom is going to get her hair cut this afternoon, and she invited me to go with her. I've been talking about trimming my hair a bit, and I've discovered that I have quite a few split ends in the last few inches. I am currently half-way to classic length, and from hip length on down tapers very quickly. I'm trying to decide whether to go and get 4-6 inches cut off, taking me back to hip length, or to just trim it myself and take an inch off, or to not trim it at all until I reach classic length. I'm leaning toward getting the "major" trim, even though I know I'd be violating the 2-week rule. My mom says her stylist is very careful to not take off more than is asked for. Could you give me your opinion, disregarding the 2-week rule?

Thanks,
WritingPrincess

FrannyG
September 12th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Well, this is my :twocents:, and only mine. To be honest, I think that if you would rather get to classic with thicker ends, then maybe that 4-6 inches can come off. Your hair will still be really long by 99.9% of the world's standards, and then you can get regular small trims as you continue to classic.

I know this is not advice that is going to be popular with some, but I suspect you'll be delighted with fresh, even ends.

WritingPrincess
September 12th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing, FrannyG. As painful as it may be, I think that 4-6" would not be missed too sorely, although it would set me back a year.

renarok
September 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
You might ask your mom to make an appointment just for you in a week or so and today you can go just watch the stylist. See if you are comfortable with him/her. I 'd be hesitant to take too much off. Does your hair grow fast? Are you really attached to length? If a fuller hemline is a priority then go for it. It will grow back.

Nes
September 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM
To my mind, the two week rule is more poignant when someone is considering cutting due to desperation/feeling fed up with their hair/having a bad hair time.

If you feel that this is a level headed decision and you will feel happier once the taper is less drastic, I would say go for it.

I don't know whether your mom is a long hair or not, but don't forget those with shorter hair may have different standards for what consititutes a good hairdresser.

Maybe watch hers being done first and see whether you feel comfortable with the hairdresser after that?

Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you either way

Nes x

Samikha
September 12th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I agree with FrannyG, if you're wanting the thicker ends, some length has to go. But if you're nervous, you could always try a one-inch-trim first just to see if you're happy with taking less? If you do decide to go to the stylist, remember that you're a paying customer. Be specific to the point of rudeness and have your mother watch the stylist if you can. Watch the hair dropping to the floor, and if you see her taking more than you want cut stop her immediately and correct her.

More advice than you asked for, I know, but there have been a few posts lately about horrific salon experiences, and stylists are people too - they are as prone to misunderstandings as any of us. :)

WritingPrincess
September 12th, 2008, 10:32 AM
You might ask your mom to make an appointment just for you in a week or so and today you can go just watch the stylist. See if you are comfortable with him/her. I 'd be hesitant to take too much off. Does your hair grow fast? Are you really attached to length? If a fuller hemline is a priority then go for it. It will grow back.
My hair grows about 1/2 inch each month, but I've noticed that at least one month this summer it grew 1". I don't know what would qualify me as being really attached to length. I'm really not that worried about the setback, because my ends would be quite a bit thicker. I'm simply a bit hesitant to go back to where I was when I joined. I don't know.

To my mind, the two week rule is more poignant when someone is considering cutting due to desperation/feeling fed up with their hair/having a bad hair time.

If you feel that this is a level headed decision and you will feel happier once the taper is less drastic, I would say go for it.

I don't know whether your mom is a long hair or not, but don't forget those with shorter hair may have different standards for what consititutes a good hairdresser.

Maybe watch hers being done first and see whether you feel comfortable with the hairdresser after that?

Good luck, my fingers are crossed for you either way

Nes x

My mom is a member here, by the name WritingMum, and she keeps her hair between shoulder length and APL.

I agree with FrannyG, if you're wanting the thicker ends, some length has to go. But if you're nervous, you could always try a one-inch-trim first just to see if you're happy with taking less? If you do decide to go to the stylist, remember that you're a paying customer. Be specific to the point of rudeness and have your mother watch the stylist if you can. Watch the hair dropping to the floor, and if you see her taking more than you want cut stop her immediately and correct her.

More advice than you asked for, I know, but there have been a few posts lately about horrific salon experiences, and stylists are people too - they are as prone to misunderstandings as any of us. :)
Thanks for your advice, I'm a bit hesitant to go to a stylist at all, because of all the people that have bad experiences.

I asked my mom if I could go another time, but the thing is, she has a coupon and she invited me to go this time. I've been thinking I'll go, and ask for 1 inch off. (With four inches in the offing, I think one inch is a safe bet.) If she complies, and if I feel that she will listen, I'll have the rest off. If she cuts off more than an inch, then not much harm is done. If she starts telling me how damaged my hair is and how I really could use a shorter cut, then she's not touching my hair at all. Also, I will go in with my hair wet, so that she doesn't wash my hair. I've never gotten my hair cut in a salon. Am I thinking of everything here?

FrannyG
September 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
I asked my mom if I could go another time, but the thing is, she has a coupon and she invited me to go this time. I've been thinking I'll go, and ask for 1 inch off. (With four inches in the offing, I think one inch is a safe bet.) If she complies, and if I feel that she will listen, I'll have the rest off. If she cuts off more than an inch, then not much harm is done. If she starts telling me how damaged my hair is and how I really could use a shorter cut, then she's not touching my hair at all. Also, I will go in with my hair wet, so that she doesn't wash my hair. I've never gotten my hair cut in a salon. Am I thinking of everything here?

I think you've covered everything.

After this, if I were you, I would get a nice pair of haircutting scissors and you or your mother can learn Feye's Self-trimming Method. It's very easy to do, and you can cut as little or as much off as you need to, and it's all in your own control.

Have fun! :blossom:

WritingPrincess
September 12th, 2008, 10:38 AM
FrannyG, I have trimmed my own hair in the past, and I plan to in the future. I just think this will be a useful experience. Now, I'm logging off so I can get my schoolwork done, so I can go with my mom. I should be back today or tomorrow with an update and pictures.

wintersun99
September 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM

WritingPrincess
September 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
OK. I got a visitor message asking how it went. I was sure I'd already posted. :shrug:

We got there, and she started washing Mommy's hair. Then someone came in and said we needed to move the car. So Mommy went to move the car and L (the stylist) started work on my bangs. (I had washed my hair before hand. She said something about needing to use some leave-in in order to get the tangles out, but there were practically no tangles, and I combed my hair while talking to her about what I wanted. So I avoided all foreign products. :)) After she was done with my bangs, I explained that I was growing my hair out, at least to my knees (her eyebrows went up, but she seemed to think it was rather neat that I was growing it so long). Mommy had already told her that this was my first time in a salon and I was nervous.
I showed L where I wanted to go, she said that that was 2 inches, and she started in. By this time Mommy had come back and she watched. When L was done, there was just a little hair on the floor. Most of it was 1" or less in length, but there were some longer pieces. I twisted my wet hair back up into a bee-end bun (my newly even ends didn't want to be pinned down, and I had to use an extra pin) and sat on a chair, doing my science test while L did Mommy's hair.

At the moment I am back at tailbone length, and I can hardly tell that it's any shorter. I am quite happy with my haircut.

aprilmay
September 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Ask the stylist what he/she thinks about the health of your hair. You can always have the professional take just an inch off and then if you want the major trim in 2 weeks go for it.

Nightshade
September 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
At the moment I am back at tailbone length, and I can hardly tell that it's any shorter. I am quite happy with my haircut.

It sounds like you and your Mum did a great job communicating with the stylist, which is often the key to a good cut. Congratulations :flowers:

Samikha
September 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like it went really well! Blunt ends can indeed be a pain when bunning, but nothing to layers...your stylist seemed to have really listened to your wishes. It's always a good experience when that happens. And as you say, if you've never been to a hairdresser it is useful to go, even if just to observe. Most of us will have our hair cut professionally at some point. Most haircutters do a decent job, but there are always some black sheep. Better to come prepared.

embee
September 18th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Very cool that it worked so well. :) Glad you didn't come out with a pixie! ;)

At least you now know a salon and stylist you can go to in a pinch. But remember, it's always good to have another set of eyes.

aprilmay
September 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Congratulations on a successful salon visit! That is not always the case and I am happy to hear that you are pleased with the results.:)