PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner-first washing in the media

Hootenanny
February 28th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I'm a big fan of conditioning before (and after) shampooing, so this article caught my eye: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2570390/Does-shampooing-AFTER-condition-make-hair-shinier-New-trend-washing-reverse-takes-hold.html

The first photo (sudsy hair mashed on top of head) is unfortunately a good representation of how to never, ever wash hair. But otherwise, the article seems to have some pretty solid advice. In my view, all they're missing is the second (post-shampoo) conditioning session. CWC FTW! :D Thought you all might be interested! :)

diddiedaisy
March 1st, 2014, 04:39 PM
I read this today. What difference does it make though to condition shampoo then condition? Doesn't the shampoo wash away the conditioner? I just don't get it!!!!!! Lol

Remi
March 1st, 2014, 04:48 PM
I'm not sure I get it either.

lapushka
March 1st, 2014, 04:53 PM
I read this today. What difference does it make though to condition shampoo then condition? Doesn't the shampoo wash away the conditioner? I just don't get it!!!!!! Lol

I'm not sure I get it either.

CWC is a wellknown method around here. You don't question CO or WCC either, or do you? :shrug:

sumidha
March 1st, 2014, 05:02 PM
Look like the article is recommending just condition-wash, not CWC? I guess I see how CWC could be too heavy for fine haired people.

Also, this quote made lolwhut: 'If your hair is tangly, put a little oil on your hands and comb it through - you will feel very pure'

Hootenanny
March 1st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Well, I can only speak to what CWC does for me, but here goes! :)

(1) It's the only the method that leaves my hair absolutely tangle-free at the end of the wash. (Just shampoo-condish doesn't do that for me.) (2) It leaves my hair feeling far less dry than when I didn't do the pre-poo conditioning. (3) It makes my curls extra defined and "popping," if you will. (This is likely due to the decreased dryness.) And, finally, (4) it enables me to get excess oil out after I've done a heavy oiling, in a way that shampoo-first never does.

So, for all of these reasons, CWC has worked really well for me. I'm a 3B curly, btw, and this may be factor as to why it has worked so well. But I recommend giving it at least a try no matter what your hair type! :)

ETA: the above is in response to those who asked about the value of conditioning before shampooing. :)

sarahthegemini
March 1st, 2014, 05:04 PM
CWC is a wellknown method around here. You don't question CO or WCC either, or do you? :shrug:

The article implies that the writer conditions, then washes that away completely, then shampoos...which to my understanding, isn't what CWC is.

alexis917
March 1st, 2014, 05:43 PM
It makes me laugh when I see how LHC-esque methods, having been around for many years, come up once in a while as mainstream hair products and are publicized as the huge new trend.
For instance, oil. Now "oil" (super coney, but still SOME oil) is gaining a lot of ground in mainstream beauty, and MoroccanOil/that macadamia stuff is viewed as some huge innovation.
Not to mention Wen and Pantene's "CO wash".

walterSCAN
March 1st, 2014, 08:13 PM
Look like the article is recommending just condition-wash, not CWC? I guess I see how CWC could be too heavy for fine haired people.

Also, this quote made lolwhut: 'If your hair is tangly, put a little oil on your hands and comb it through - you will feel very pure'

Bahahaa! I thought that was hilarious... "pure"?? What does that even mean?

Wildcat Diva
March 1st, 2014, 08:29 PM
I oil my hair quite a bit and I usually feel the opposite of pure.
:eyebrows:

Not sure that it's related to the oil though.

RancheroTheBee
March 1st, 2014, 08:38 PM
I saw a similar article on xojane.com, where the author recommends conditioning, and then washing. A few comments from people with denser, dryer hair said they'd tried it and ended up with a waxy mess.

For people who aren't familiar, CWC is more like: condition ends, shampoo roots while conditioner is still on ends, then rinse and condition everything. I always found it a little convoluted for my tastes, but apparently it works well on some people.

And yeah, ever since that article where that woman linked to LHC and made fun of everyone here but when went on to bizarrely appropriate our advice, I generally avoid all media articles about hair.

swearnsue
March 1st, 2014, 08:39 PM
I oil my hair quite a bit and I usually feel the opposite of pure.
:eyebrows:

Not sure that it's related to the oil though.

ROTFL! Too funny!

walterSCAN
March 2nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
I saw a similar article on xojane.com, where the author recommends conditioning, and then washing. A few comments from people with denser, dryer hair said they'd tried it and ended up with a waxy mess.

For people who aren't familiar, CWC is more like: condition ends, shampoo roots while conditioner is still on ends, then rinse and condition everything. I always found it a little convoluted for my tastes, but apparently it works well on some people.

And yeah, ever since that article where that woman linked to LHC and made fun of everyone here but when went on to bizarrely appropriate our advice, I generally avoid all media articles about hair.

I think I'm glad I didn't see that one... :mad:

meteor
March 2nd, 2014, 01:11 PM
I remember distinctly that there were at least 2 threads on the LHC about applying conditioner first, shampoo second. Maybe other LHC-ers will have better luck finding them.

I actually had good results with this but didn't continue, since hair science doesn't really support it because of the charges that commercial shampoos and conditioners have, i.e. the interactions of cationic conditioner actives and anionic sulfates/other surfactants in shampoos. Conditioners are supposed to stick to hair, so they might build up if the shampoo that follows is busy just removing the conditioner rather than also cleansing your hair. Admittedly, it really depends on how much conditioner and shampoo you use, and since I tend to use about 2 cups of heavy conditioner and only a tiny bit of heavily diluted mild shampoo, I would worry about build-up with CWC and CS.

What I do like about conditioner first, shampoo second is that it dramatically shortens the time spent in the shower - something I strive for in winter-time, obviously - as you can apply conditioner way before you step in the shower/bath.

However, I already do pre-poo oilings, and oil-based pre-poo is a lot more effective than water-based (i.e. conditioner) pre-poo against hygral fatigue.
There is an excellent article on Natural Haven Bloom that I recommend checking out for this:
"Before you shampoo: conditioner or oil?" - http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2011/05/before-you-shampoo-conditioner-or-oil.html