PDA

View Full Version : Protective Hairstyles for 6-8 Hour Surgery

AcornMystic
February 28th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Greetings ladies and gents,

So, as some of you know, I am going to be undergoing orthognathic surgery for a very detrimental case of congenital facial abnormality otherwise known as a destructive underbite that I've had all my life. The reason I call it destructive is because my top jaw in relatively to my cheek muscles is caving in because of those muscles causing pressure on them everytime I smile or sleep on my side contributes. Now that I am old enough that my bones have stopped growing and the finances now permit it, I am on my journey to a proper bite so I can eat without pain and my face won't cave in by the time I am middle-aged, haha... So anyway, to get to the point. They're going to be doing double jaw surgery to fix my bite and a genioplasty to fix my chin because my lower lips pressing on my teeth to meet my upper lips when my mouth is closed have caused my chin to jut out over my life-time like Jay Leno.

This surgery will take approximately 6-8 hours and I'll be bed-ridden for some days. I'll be getting it in about 2-3 years to give my braces time to line up my teeth in order to use as a guideline to line up my jaws for a proper bite. By this time I estimate my hair will be about waist length if I stick to the hair trimming regimine I've been on. So I'm just wondering what some suitable super-protective braid updos are out there. Like ones that will hold my hair to my scalp so as to cause no hinderance for the surgeons and that will protective all my hard work from turning into a rat's nest. I am picturing some braids in my mind, particularly one I saw on youtube, that I have seen but know not them by name. If I had a picture/video and a name I could show a stylist the day before my surgery and have it done.

Thank you everyone in advance for any help you can provide. :)

Fairlight63
February 28th, 2014, 11:33 AM
How about a top knot bun - either braided or not. I had an operation done a while back & I put my hair in a messy bun on top of my head. They put a blue cap on over my hair anyway during the operation. I did not stay the night in the hospital though. Maybe someone else will have a good idea of how to protect your hair for several days when you don't feel - or can't deal with your hair.

Madora
February 28th, 2014, 11:43 AM
A lace crown braid is comfy and keeps your hair close to your scalp so it doesn't interfere with medical procedures. Wishing you all the best, Acorn Mystic.

ps. If you find a style, perhaps it would be a good thing to have a "dry run through" with your stylist a month ahead of time so that she can practice the style (unless you are doing it yourself).

Tigermama
February 28th, 2014, 11:45 AM
How about two braids? you could pin them up or let them hang down over your shoulders. Two French braids would hold better and be comfortable. Wishing you a speedy recovery from surgery!

spidermom
February 28th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Twin braids is my first thought. You could make them down the back of your head rather than curving around your ear and coming over your shoulder.

jacqueline101
February 28th, 2014, 11:53 AM
A lace crown braid is comfy and keeps your hair close to your scalp so it doesn't interfere with medical procedures. Wishing you all the best, Acorn Mystic.

ps. If you find a style, perhaps it would be a good thing to have a "dry run through" with your stylist a month ahead of time so that she can practice the style (unless you are doing it yourself).

I think this could be the best way to go. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Stormynights
February 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Make sure it is comfortable for you. You may not feel like refixing it for a while. Best wishes.

shutterpillar
February 28th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Whenever my daughter has surgery (she's had more than her share of them in her eight years on this earth) I put her hair in two lightly oiled french braids and it'll usually stay put for days at a time.

Good luck to you!

bexcalo
February 28th, 2014, 12:53 PM
As someone who works in a surgical theatre, i also concur with the two french braids, you need something that has no metal in it as they will doubtless use diathermy and any metal in hair grips or hair ties can be dangerous so also consider that.

Rushli
February 28th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I had my hair in a French braid for my c-section. I ended up not being able to get up in 6 hours like planned and was stuck in bed almost 24 hours. I found I moved my head enough that I messed up and frizzed up the braid on the back of my head. I bet a double one would not have done that. Then again, my french braids are not always super tight. I like the idea of going to have someone crown braid it. (I might consider it for my next c-section in (hopefully) about 3 years.) You do have 2-3 years of playing with styles to find what works with your hair, so maybe you can learn how to crown braid yourself, if you like the style. (I dont have the desire to learn myself atm.)

two_wheels
February 28th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Madora is always right, I'd go with the crown braid suggestion, and you have a couple of years to practise/find someone to do it. Hope all goes well.

AcornMystic
February 28th, 2014, 08:43 PM
Thank you to everyone who replied. I didn't find the video I was thinking of however I think I may have discovered what it was called based on Madora's suggestion; a very elaborate version I once saw linked on this website. I am thinking either this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aAtnv0CvmM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k49WTEjOpvg

The reason I want to stay away from french braids or any other similar braids is that I don't want anything that will dangle, especially low enough that they would have to manipulate my hair to get it out of the way of my jaw if they need access or there as a distraction. If it is against my scalp it's as good as bald and the chafing is minimum being so snugly packed and being so snug I am less likely to need (any metal) aid in securing my hair as it will stay put on its own (hopefully).

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and taking the time to present them. I am very grateful and you all may have just saved my hair, haha. Now I have some words to go by. Thank you again! *searches with new found knowledge for more hairstyles*:o

tigereye
March 1st, 2014, 01:51 AM
Hey AcornMystic.
I'd probably say a crown braid or hair-taping would probably be better than the spiral braid. I've found in the past that I can position the hair-taping so that it is comfortable to lie on, but a spiral braid is really not.
Personally, I'd do hair-taping. Easy to do, requires less time, and no need for any metal - all you need is a ribbon and a couple of no-metal elastics.
My mum has an overbite (which I think is what you are talking about), where the bottom teeth protrude in front of the top ones. She's a private dentist, but cannot afford the surgery on her bottom jaw, then the orthodontics too. Thankfully, hers has not been as destructive as yours seems, and over time (she is now in her last 50s and has had this problem since childhood, when she came from a poor family who couldn't fix it then), her teeth grew to fit so well together most people don't notice the bottom teeth are in front.
I hope the operation goes well for you and heals up well. Bet you're looking forward to seeing your new teeth :)

Nini
March 1st, 2014, 02:17 AM
Well, since your surgery is so far down the line I'd suggest you hang out around here and enjoy yourself while exploring;)

Madora
March 1st, 2014, 08:42 AM
AcornMystic, you might also try a roped accent crown braid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

lapushka
March 1st, 2014, 08:58 AM
I would try a crown braid as well. It is facial surgery and braids may get in the way (or else pin them up). Lots of luck with your surgery! :grouphug:

Jasperine
March 1st, 2014, 12:32 PM
I personally did twin braids; try and make them more on the side of your head so they wont be uncomfortable to lie on :) Good luck!

alexis917
March 1st, 2014, 04:35 PM
I second a crown braid, because although a double dutch or French would work too, they might dangle.
Good luck with your surgery and recovery! It sounds so painful, but you will weather it- and the results will surely be worth it.:heartbeat

jrmviola
March 1st, 2014, 05:38 PM
I third (fourth? fifth?) the crown braid and hair tapeing. If your hair is hard to braid you might want to put out the $ to have it professionally done tight-ish. Every time i've done it myself i cant get it tight enough to last long enough, my arms get tired and i cant see the back of my head well enough in the transition areas.

AcornMystic
March 5th, 2014, 12:16 PM
AcornMystic, you might also try a roped accent crown braid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Oh Madora, that's perfect!! Having the hair braided off to the hairline does seem like it would be a lot more comfortable rather than braiding it all over the scalp.

I like the idea of doing hair taping as well, Tigereye. Simple way to add security for sure.

Thank you again everyone for your interest in helping me out here. I've definitely got some hairstyles now to at least work with. I think I will find a hairstylist some time in advance too that I can work out a hair-safe way to accomplish these (you know some stylists... >.>) because I don't know if I'm going to have the focus and steady hands at the point of surgery assuming I even learn how to do some of these. Thank you!! :o

Climber
March 5th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Last summer when I had my shoulder surgery I put may hair in two French braids which I then hair taped around my head. It held up well for weeks after the surgery. It didn't interfere with the anesthesia in any way because it was flat to my head. I found a video on youtube to show me how.

Good luck!

Ferryl
March 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Whichever style you choose, I'd recommend sleeping in it a couple times to see how it feels.

SkyChild
March 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Ferryl makes a good point. test it and see which ones you can sleep on and compare what holds up best.
I'd go for double braids.

Good luck!

AcornMystic
March 13th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Testing is a very good idea for sure. Thanks! I'll just have to work it out to have it done in order to do that. ^.^