PDA

View Full Version : nutrition problems

Torsornin
September 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
With out being gross or going into the gory details, having digestion probs, not digesting much...fighting with doc's to get it sorted, my hair started to fall out a few years ago and I can't seem to get it to grow...it will get longer but sheds out easy, is brittle and dry. I have all these new growth flyaways that aren't getting any better...Anyone ever take a prenatal vitamin to help with hair growth? I am thinking with my current digestion I need something...and I am hopng the extra folic acid and stuff helps my hair :)
I am tired of not feeling well and tired of my hair falling out :(

ChloeDharma
September 12th, 2008, 10:39 AM
If you are not digesting much, would you even absorb the vitamins from a supplement? It's hard, and possibly not safe, for anyone here to advise too much when you have a medical condition. Maybe see a nutritional therapist if you're not happy with the advice your doctors are giving you so far.
Good luck

MsBubbles
September 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry to hear about your digestive problems. It's possible the vits might not help until you can get the medical problems sorted out first. Can you switch doctors, get 2nd or 3rd opinions?

I don't know...I'm sure folk here have their own version of what nutrients worked for their hair, but unless you're actually assimilating those nutrients, that advice might not work for you.

I had a horrible bout of UC 2 years ago and lost about half my hair volume. I fixed the UC, or it fixed itself, not sure which, was able to retain nutrients again, and my hair grew back to it's previous thickness again (still pretty thin!). But the bottom line is that no vits or supplements I took while I was sick helped me retain my hair.

Not sure if I helped. Sorry! But I would not rest until I got my health problems sorted out.

Islandgrrl
September 12th, 2008, 10:48 AM
If you're not absorbing nutrients correctly, supplementing on your own without guidance might not be the most effective way to deal with things.

You should consult a registered dietitian who is familiar with your condition to get recommendations for not only which supplements might be appropriate, but the delivery method that would be optimum for you.

chrissy-b
September 12th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I would suggest seeing a nutritionist, herbalist, or an acupuncturist if you are unhappy with your doctor. If you are having a problem with digestion, there are certain dietary changes and herbs that you can take which will help you and help your system absorb the nutrients. I was also having a problem with digestion where most of my food would go right through me (gross, sorry). Part of the problem was that I wasn't chewing my food properly, part was due to liver and spleen issues. One of the things that I did was to cut out raw foods from my diet for a while and only eat things that were cooked including a lot of soups and stews. Fiber full foods that were well cooked were much easier for my system to process and I was slowly able to introduce salads and raw fruits back into my diet.

This may not work for you, as your problem could be very different than mine and I suggest seeking help with an alternative source (particularly a nutritionist) to help you through this.