PDA

View Full Version : Protein?

citylove
February 26th, 2014, 12:59 PM
How do I know if my hair needs a protein treatment? It is feeling lackluster and dry and ill-behaved, and I probably need sharper scissors and an S & D too. I will probably get back on the SMT treatment (I hope that's the right acronym) like, tonight, but how do I know if my hair might benefit from protein? Other than just trying it?

Historically, SMT works, Olive Oil works, and sulfate free and paraben free stuff leaves build up. Suave Professional Rosemary Mint tends to keep my hair nice and smooth seeming and manageable. Coconut oil and jojoba oil made my hair sticky and heavy and sort of rough feeling.

Thanks for the insight!

midbackorbust
February 26th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I do believe your texture after clarifying can tell you, if it feels 'gummy' you need some protein. Sorry I can't be of more help

Valkyriejae
February 26th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I agree about the "gummy" feeling - I get that after SMTs and I find doing them after a protein treatment helps.
Also, you can do a stretch-test - take a shed hair and see if you can stretch it quite far, and if it returns to it's old shape after stretching. If it snaps quickly, then that's usually high protein and needs moisture, but if it gets super stretched out and stays that way then you're probably low on protein :)

Aderyn
February 26th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Usually, dry, lack-luster hair is a sign of too much protein and/or not enough moisture, at least for me. How is the stretchiness of your hair? Having a lot of stretch means protein would help and very little to no stretch means you probably need more moisture.

Might also be worth looking into the porosity of your hair, as having porous hair can make your hair feel dry since it's very easy for moisture to leave the hair strand.