PDA

View Full Version : split ends, crumbling hair even after trim, advise please!

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Hi, I'm having a hair dilemma and could really use some LHC advice! A few days ago I had a one inch trim for split ends, but it has not taken care of them where they are the worst (the front of my hair is the most delicate and split prone).

My hair is only 23 inches with lots of layers already, so I don't want to cut more off, but at the same time I really want to have healthy hair. I cut off five inches last February, so right now to get rid of all my splits, I think I'd basically be cutting off this year's growth :(

I can't S&D, there are way too many splits! I have old bleach that I thought should be pretty much cut out by now, but I'm not sure because my hair sure seems like there's old bleach in it, the way it crumbles :(

There's heat damage from flat ironing, but I have cut out most of my heat use, although I did regress and flat iron my hair six times last month and I think this is why I'm now having so many splits. But, my hair shouldn't be this weak, should it? I used to think I had quite strong hair.

I've included photos of my splits so you can see how bad they are, I hope they don't scare you—it's awful! I think I'm doing everything wrong, so if I can get some advice as to what I should be doing, I'd be grateful. Otherwise I'm seriously considering chopping off four inches into a one length bob and trying to grow it again. Three years ago I had hip length hair but made the awful mistake of bleaching the living daylights out of it and I'm STILL dealing with the consequences of bleach, even after cutting and cutting it.

I feel like I'll never have long hair, because it's not gaining length properly. I would estimate that half of my growth is breaking off because my bangs (which don't have any splits) grew five inches since June, whereas the rest of my hair absolutely has not growth that much. I didn't do anything special with my hair back when it was long, I flat ironed it, wore it down, tore a brush through it but still it grew. But then, I wasn't obsessed with splits like I am now, so I'm not sure if I should try to keep growing it even though it's full of splits. I really want to have healthy longhair! Help!

Here is my routine:

wash three times a week with sulphate free shampoo
condition with silicone conditioner
chelate every couple of months, deep treatments not as often as I should
my hair is wavy and I'm constantly altering what I put in it because my hair does not behave. Sometimes I only use coconut oil after washing, sometimes I use mousse or a curl cream. Sometimes I use silicones.
I have a silk sleep cap which I don't use because it is always falling off in the night. I'm a restless sleeper and easily bothered by braids and buns in my hair when I sleep, so I sleep with it down.
I never use a brush, I comb in the shower when it's full of conditioner.
I use heat rarely, but did have a relapse, I'm back on the wagon.
I almost never wear it up because I hate the way I look with it up.

And here are the dreaded pictures (this is the hair around my face that splits the most, although most of my hair contains some splits), you can see it's FULL of white dots, and this is after a trim!!!!:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/IMG_3996_zps46645a70.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/IMG_3996_zps46645a70.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/IMG_4003_zps3169c2be.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/IMG_4003_zps3169c2be.jpg.html)

bunzfan
February 26th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say that was my hair a few months ago, but considering you've just had a sizeable trim were the scissors really sharp?? that can give splits i believe if you can i would wash alot less looking at your routine. We have similar hair and past damage and going back to co washing has saved my length as have ditching the tangle teezer and using mainly a comb and a good brush i also s and d regularly and do moisture and protein treatments.

Just the last few weeks i have been doing a smt every wk that may seem a bit much to others but now i'm not seeing any more dots or splits also make sure your water isn't too hot i used to have boiling hot showers. I f that was my hair i would do a good s and d session stop all heat and do a good protein treatment this one http://pedaheh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/gelatin-protein-treatment.html followed by a moisture one .

spidermom
February 26th, 2014, 09:04 AM
I can't say what is best for you, but I would get all the damage cut away. I hate fighting with damaged hair.

You can maintain your current length and cut away all growth every month (about 1/2 inch). That's an option.

Kherome
February 26th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Oh my that is bad.

Well, to start with, no more heat AT ALL. Your hair is clearly not able to handle it at this point.

1. Do you have a satin pillow case? Get one for sure if you don't.

2. It's probably not a bad idea to get some protein in that hair! Chelate it, then do a protein treatment, then do a moisture treatment like the SMT. No silicones until after all that is done. Then you can use a last layer of silicone conditioner, or a silicone spray.

3. Wear it up. Wearing it up cannot look any worse than having badly damaged hair, and I think it's silly to say you don't look nice with it up. You most assuredly do look nice, you just need to get used to the difference most likely ;)

4. Sorry to say, but another cut would be in my plans if I were you. I know it's disheartening, but long doesn't come free to most people, there is usually some work involved. There are those lucky enough to be able to abuse their hair excessively and still get the length, but those are far and few in between.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:06 AM
thank you for your input, bunzfan! You have lovely, long hair!

I do have really, extremely hot showers, hmmm, I never thought how that could be hurting my hair. That would be soooo hard to give up, but I can give it a try.

I thought the scissors were sharp, but maybe not?

Do you find that wearing it up has been very helpful for you?

I will definitely try CO'ing my hair and more smt. I used to SMT a lot, but I've been getting tired of constantly thinking about my hair!

Kherome
February 26th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Hot water saps moisture. Then if you are siliconing over that, you're sealing moisture out as well.

LadyCelestina
February 26th, 2014, 09:12 AM
(Six times a month on F/M hair can do quite a bit of damage)
Are you sure you cut off all the split ends with your first cut? If yes,I think this might be the result of dull scissors.My eyes are a bit weak but I see a lot of white dots but not many actual splits.

Chromis
February 26th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Wearing my hair was totally helpful! I didn't even have any heat or dye damage and that made a huge improvement over time!

I love really hot showers too. What I do now is to put my hair up under a shower cap if it is not a wash day. Then I can enjoy ALL the hot! On wash day I make it a little cooler. Probably still too hot for most, but not quite my normal. I tried doing cold rinses and nope, nope, nope! Even in the heat of summer I like my water to at least be warm.

I think going back up to a bob is worse in many ways, because then you can't put it up so the ends are still going to get tattered. I'd just keep trimming it now and then and putting it up. It shouldn't take too much thought or effort and eventually you will be able to see an obvious line where the old damage was. When that gets long enough to still put up nicely, I'd give it a bit bigger trim and voila! Fresh hair! I had to do this to grow out damage from always wearing my hair in a ponytail before I discovered the wonderful world of updos and hairtoys. You could see the line of breakage moving down after a few months.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:16 AM
the hair in the split end photos is the underneath of my hair, near my hair line where it seems extra delicate, I don't think my hair looks *that* bad until I start looking at the ends there. I hate the idea of cutting more :( but I know that it probably just has to be done.

I've been given some great advice, thank you so much. I will get a protein treatment and SMT done soon, for sure! And spider mom, yes I could maintain at 23 inches, I'm sure if I was cutting .5 inches every month my hair would get healthy fast, it's just disheartening.

Here is a photo of my hair in it's entirety. This is washed two days ago with a light coconut oiling while wet and unbrushed. Does it look really bad from afar?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/Photoon2-26-2014at1009AM2_zpsabcc3d68.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/Photoon2-26-2014at1009AM2_zpsabcc3d68.jpg.html)

bunzfan
February 26th, 2014, 09:18 AM
thank you for your input, bunzfan! You have lovely, long hair!

I do have really, extremely hot showers, hmmm, I never thought how that could be hurting my hair. That would be soooo hard to give up, but I can give it a try.

I thought the scissors were sharp, but maybe not?

Do you find that wearing it up has been very helpful for you?

I will definitely try CO'ing my hair and more smt. I used to SMT a lot, but I've been getting tired of constantly thinking about my hair!

Thank you, its a never ending battle finding the right balance and i've cut loads due to splits and dots, yes it was the only heat thing that i could think of as i stopped heat four years ago i used to straighten my hair 3 times a week plus had bleach damage it too and i was getting disheartened until i changed my routine dramatically!

Wearing it up makes a huge difference even in a braid would help if you got some cute sticks or a fork i could point you in the direction of some easy tutorials ..Kherome is right about the silk pillowcases i have some they also made a big difference they dont need to cost the earth i got mine from a ebay seller in china £6 for 2 .

Seeing your picture hair it looks ok your ends just need some pampering i think..i swear by oil too the day before a wash coconut has saved many a colour treated long hair it stops protein loss and us finey's need more protein typically.

chen bao jun
February 26th, 2014, 09:18 AM
wearing it up is VERY helpful
seconding that you probably need to co-wash as a wavy
i would also look at: your towel--is it a cotton t shirt or microfiber? If not, chnage to that
Other mechanical damage--scrubbing hair around on top of your head roughly, sort of brush and/or comb you use (should be seamless comb, not ball bristle brushand never when wet except if youre a curly and then only full of conditioner)
Do you use leave in and do you use enough (may not apply, depending on how wavy you are)
protection against weather if its cold where you are
I gave my flat iron away to avoid temptation
yeah, you could do all kinds of things to your hair before you bleached it and get away with it, but at the moment, its different hair and needs extreme babying. I had to baby my hair when I first came on here to a ridiculous degree--but I did avoid cutting off damage until I grew some length by treating it as super-fragile (although actually, it is naturally coarse and strong when not damaged)

Madora
February 26th, 2014, 09:22 AM
If you want healthy hair, you've got to give up things that harm it...flat ironing and bleaching. If your hair is crumbling, then you need to be particularly pro active in making sure you're treating it as gently as possible.

Cut down on the washing to once a week. Keep your hair as "natural" as possible. Ditch the mousse and creams. Use a silk pillowcase.

You really need another trim...with sharp scissors. Those white dots are the harbingers of more splits and they need to be cut off. If you don't get rid of the white dots, they'll develop into splits, and your hair will continue to worsen.

Here is something you might want to investigate to help your hair: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

Keep in mind that returning your hair to a healthy state is going to take TIME..a year at least, if you're willing to make the commitment to caring for it properly.

You may cringe at the idea of another trimming session but what's the use of growing hair that is damaged to a longer length? Just because it is long doesn't mean the damage will disappear. The splits continue to split. Why spend all that time growing damaged hair long...when you'll have to cut it in the end because it STILL looks damaged? Better to start with a clean slate, and get rid of as many split ends/white dots as you can. Good luck!

lunalocks
February 26th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I feel for you, and I have been in your place. I would advise another cut (with scissors that are for sure sharp) to get rid of all the white dots and splits. Then take exquisite care of your hair and you will see results. Eating well, drinking plenty of water and getting exercise help your hair grow from the inside out.

Wearing hair up is essential for me. The best thing is to wear it up for a month or 2 and then you can really see the growth.

I keep splits at bay by rinsing my hair and soaking the ends in catnip tea. I will condition length and ends with a clarifying conditioner (vo5 mint tea), then wash scalp with Desert essence raspberry shampoo and rinse well and then soak ends in catnip tea and a final rinse with it as well. I do not rinse the catnip tea but leave it in, air dry part way, finger comb, put a drop or 2 of generic baby oil on the ends and air dry the rest of the way. I have been doing this almost a year and it has greatly improved my growth. I have grown almost 5 inches in the past year and that included several mini trims and S and Ding. The prior year i ended up trimming all my growth off due to splits and gained no length. I am at 40 inches now which is BCL for me and about 1.5 inches from TB.

I love hot showers too but I use warm water for my hair and then hold it out of the way or put a towel on my head for the hot shower part.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I haven't bleached my hair since the summer of 2012 and I've been trying ever since to get it healthy, but it seems as soon as I think it healthy, it's not.

I looks like need to use my DH's old tshirts, because I use terrycloth towels. Although I do NOT rub my hair, I try to handle it very gently.

I agree, I absolutely must never flat iron it again because that stint that I had destroyed my hair.

Satin pillow cases sound great for my restless sleeping problem.

Bunzfan, yes I would love to pointed in the direction of updos for my length, if you can. thanks!

Madora, I will look at the link you shared, thanks!

I'm thinking my scissors are dull because I don't have V splits, more like white tattered ends. I'll invest in another pair of scissors, and then maybe another one inch trim? I liked the advice not to cut it into a bob because then I can't put it up.

lunalocks
February 26th, 2014, 09:30 AM
double post.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I feel for you, and I have been in your place. I would advise another cut (with scissors that are for sure sharp) to get rid of all the white dots and splits. Then take exquisite care of your hair and you will see results. Eating well, drinking plenty of water and getting exercise help your hair grow from the inside out.

Wearing hair up is essential for me. The best thing is to wear it up for a month or 2 and then you can really see the growth.

I keep splits at bay by rinsing my hair and soaking the ends in catnip tea. I will condition length and ends with a clarifying conditioner (vo5 mint tea), then wash scalp with Desert essence raspberry shampoo and rinse well and then soak ends in catnip tea and a final rinse with it as well. I do not rinse the catnip tea but leave it in, air dry part way, finger comb, put a drop or 2 of generic baby oil on the ends and air dry the rest of the way. I have been doing this almost a year and it has greatly improved my growth. I have grown almost 5 inches in the past year and that included several mini trims and S and Ding. The prior year i ended up trimming all my growth off due to splits and gained no length. I am at 40 inches now which is BCL for me and about 1.5 inches from TB.

I love hot showers too but I use warm water for my hair and then hold it out of the way or put a towel on my head for the hot shower part.

I tried catnip rinses before and my hair really liked them, but I found I couldn't remember to do them often enough, and it was time consuming. But your hair washing routine sounds really nice. How often do you wash?

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:39 AM
I think if I were to cut off this much (where I drew the white line) there would be no splits (providing the scissors are sharp, of course). Should I bite the bullet and cut it off after I buy new scissors, or if I implement all these great tips and and make sure to extra baby it could I the length be saved?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/620f4e0e-0425-4341-adba-658f61f9af8f_zpsb658247e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/620f4e0e-0425-4341-adba-658f61f9af8f_zpsb658247e.jpg.html)

bunzfan
February 26th, 2014, 09:44 AM
I think if I were to cut off this much (where I drew the white line) there would be no splits (providing the scissors are sharp, of course). Should I bite the bullet and cut it off after I buy new scissors, or if I implement all these great tips and and make sure to extra baby it could I the length be saved?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/620f4e0e-0425-4341-adba-658f61f9af8f_zpsb658247e.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/620f4e0e-0425-4341-adba-658f61f9af8f_zpsb658247e.jpg.html)

It is up to you, if its driving you mad i know it has me in the past cut a bit more than your average growth rate for a few months that way your not losing a load of length in one go. Do get some new scissors first i did that and it made a big difference, could you still wear it up?? at that length it would be more protected if you could..i think new scissors and a 1 inch trim and then baby it and do plenty of co washes etc.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:48 AM
no, if I trimmed off that much I couldn't really wear it up. I can wear it up now, a one inch trim and I could still, although with lots of ends sticking out. But that sounds like a very sound plan. Thanks for your help everyone! Looking at my ends closer I'm almost sure that the scissors were dull as so many ends are frayed and white looking. There aren't many white dots up the length, although there are some and I d have some V splits, but not a lot.

Chromis
February 26th, 2014, 09:51 AM
I would probably let it grow for another month or two myself. If you take off too much it will get harder to put up, especially with really, really blunt ends and layers (I think I see layers anyhow!)

You current action plan sounds quite reasonable. It'll just be a matter of patience. I would stretch washes a bit more, but mostly because I find that is the time when it is the easiest to cause more damage, plus again, less work/overthinking. Along with the satin pillowcase, one of the other big helps for me has been braiding at night. At my current length I shudder to think of how much trouble it would be to untangle it now if I slept with it loose, but it made a great different back near your length too. My go-to updos around that length were the cinna bun, bee butt bun, and figure-eight. If you need hairtoy suggestions I actually just made a whole bunch in another thread which should be still pretty near the top if you look at my post history. I think anyhow...I might have been more of a blabberfingers than I think of course :lol:

I'm sure you already know, but the other thing I had to unlearn was piling my hair up on top of my head when washing like they do in the commercials. Tangle city! You might see a common thread. The biggest improvements I made all had to do with tangle reduction.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 09:55 AM
awesome! I will definitely check our your hair toys post, thanks! Maybe if I had some cute hair toys I'd be more inclined to put it up. My hair really doesn't tangle at all. It used to tangle badly, but in the last year I've managed to get it where it doesn't.

Your hair is amazing, I can't imagine mine ever growing that long, but it would be a dream!

edited to add: I really don't want to cut that much off my hair, that would bring it to about 21 inches and I've been hovering between 20-23 inches since I joined. Only last year I managed to grow it to 24.5 inches but then I had the huge cut to cut out most of the old bleach that was left. At the same time I'm torn because my hair isn't gaining length like it should. I think I'll leave it for a month or two, baby it and add all the great suggestions I've received in this post to my routine and then if I still haven't gained length I'll trim another inch or two.

lunalocks
February 26th, 2014, 10:06 AM
I wash about twice a week. Sometimes I stretch to 5 days. Yes the catnip tea is time consuming but it is my ritual and is so worth it. I would not have had this growth if not for the catnip tea.
I make the tea the night before and let it steep all night. Then strain it through a coffee filter in the morning and dilute it with 2 cups of boiling water so it is somewhat warm when I pour it over my head.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 10:19 AM
before you dilute it with 2 cups of boiling water, how much are you making—a tea cup's worth?

lunalocks
February 26th, 2014, 10:22 AM
I boil 8 cups of water and take it off the burner and stir in a handful of catnip. That's way more than others use but it works for me.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 10:23 AM
you've inspired me to try cat nip again, thanks for sharing your routine with me!

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 12:20 PM
ok! I have a pair of brand-new hair scissors, so I trimmed between .5 and 1. I clarified and CO'ed with Aubrey organics Honeysuckle rose, did not use hot water, rinsed in cool water, wrapped hair in an old tshirt instead of a towel, put in a dab of coconut oil when wet, then a drop of Amaka hair oil when nearly dry. This is what I have now. Looking at my hair texture, should I avoid shampoo from now on? If so, how often should I clarify (I have very hard water)? Sorry for the poor quality photos, I'm taking them using my laptop.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/Photoon2-26-2014at137PM2_zpsf11ee0c0.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/Photoon2-26-2014at137PM2_zpsf11ee0c0.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/5b4174d1-2689-494a-bd56-96aeb39befbc_zps94c54343.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/5b4174d1-2689-494a-bd56-96aeb39befbc_zps94c54343.jpg.html)http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/839d43c6-33f1-4837-8dea-7d01bf077e41_zpsfb4f051a.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/839d43c6-33f1-4837-8dea-7d01bf077e41_zpsfb4f051a.jpg.html)

Kherome
February 26th, 2014, 12:44 PM
I have very hard water as well and clarifying doesn't work for me. I have to chelate to get the buildup out of my hair, so be aware that may be the case for you as well.

Madora
February 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
How about using a hard water filter attachment?

Firefox7275
February 26th, 2014, 12:50 PM
The choice is search and destroy or trim unfortunately. Chelating for hard water not clarifying.

Flat irons can damage hair irreparably in just one session, especially if the heat is too high, hair is even slightly damp, hair is already damaged or vulnerable (fine). Using heat makes deep treating with coconut oil and hydrolysed protein regularly all the more important. Other ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Be sure to use a leave in condiriober not just a styler.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Kherome, do you know if the neutrogena anti-residue shampoo chelates? That's the one I've been using, or should I look for something else?

Madora, I would LOVE one, if I could only get my DH to install it... I tried to remove the shower head once to put on a rain shower head I bought, and it was stuck, I could not get the darn shower head off. And the rain shower head has been sitting in the closet waiting for DH to install it for the last 6 months... :/ So that's not really an option.

I was doing vinegar rinses but I didn't like the way my hair felt. I have citric acid but it dried my hair out really badly.

bunzfan
February 26th, 2014, 12:54 PM
ok! I have a pair of brand-new hair scissors, so I trimmed between .5 and 1. I clarified and CO'ed with Aubrey organics Honeysuckle rose, did not use hot water, rinsed in cool water, wrapped hair in an old tshirt instead of a towel, put in a dab of coconut oil when wet, then a drop of Amaka hair oil when nearly dry. This is what I have now. Looking at my hair texture, should I avoid shampoo from now on? If so, how often should I clarify (I have very hard water)? Sorry for the poor quality photos, I'm taking them using my laptop.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/Photoon2-26-2014at137PM2_zpsf11ee0c0.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/Photoon2-26-2014at137PM2_zpsf11ee0c0.jpg.html)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/5b4174d1-2689-494a-bd56-96aeb39befbc_zps94c54343.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/5b4174d1-2689-494a-bd56-96aeb39befbc_zps94c54343.jpg.html)http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/gingersnow/839d43c6-33f1-4837-8dea-7d01bf077e41_zpsfb4f051a.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/gingersnow/media/839d43c6-33f1-4837-8dea-7d01bf077e41_zpsfb4f051a.jpg.html)

Wow you went on a mission :D I think your hair looks fantastic in these pictures I know as a wavy that shampoo was drying my hair out something chronic you don't need to go the full co washing route even if you substituted one wash for one co wash i think you'd notice a difference in the moisture in your hair it probably needs a bit of protein and alot of moisture.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 12:57 PM
The choice is search and destroy or trim unfortunately. Chelating for hard water not clarifying.

Flat irons can damage hair irreparably in just one session, especially if the heat is too high, hair is even slightly damp, hair is already damaged or vulnerable (fine). Using heat makes deep treating with coconut oil and hydrolysed protein regularly all the more important. Other ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Be sure to use a leave in condiriober not just a styler.

Yes, I think I have damage from the flat iron, for sure, even though I've used it about a dozen times in the last year. My hair cannot handle any heat or else it seems the hair crumbles and gets so many white dots.

I can't S&D, there's literally too many and my hair is just long enough, so I get a head ache going crossed eyed!

I do have a leave in with ceramides, should I be using that along with the coconut oil?

Last question, I was trying to do a pre poo coconut oil soak at least once a week before I wash. If I'm CO'ing now, I guess I need to stop doing pre poo oiling? Or how will I get the oil out?

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Wow you went on a mission :D I think your hair looks fantastic in these pictures I know as a wavy that shampoo was drying my hair out something chronic you don't need to go the full co washing route even if you substituted one wash for one co wash i think you'd notice a difference in the moisture in your hair it probably needs a bit of protein and alot of moisture.

LOL! Yes I did! I can't stop looking at all these splits, so I figured I better do something! LOL. I used to have a protein treatment I bought at Sally's, I really liked it, but I ran out awhile ago and haven't bought any. So, aside from coconut oil my hair hasn't been getting any protein. I have the protein horse conditioner and my hair hated, it was so dry after. What do you use for protein?

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Oh something different that happened with my hair right before all these splits cropped up that I just thought of — I went swimming in a chlorinated pool two weekends in a row. Unfortunately I'm too vain to wear a swim cap.

tigereye
February 26th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Oh something different that happened with my hair right before all these splits cropped up that I just thought of — I went swimming in a chlorinated pool two weekends in a row. Unfortunately I'm too vain to wear a swim cap.

When I go to the pool (which is rarely these days, but still), I soak my hair in cold water from the shower, slather my hair in coconut oil then French braid it, and bun the end.
Your hair soaks up so much more chlorine if that's the first water it touches, which is why you really should get it thoroughly wet in non-chlorinated water before jumping in. The coconut oil is just an extra barrier of protection.

bunzfan
February 26th, 2014, 01:30 PM
LOL! Yes I did! I can't stop looking at all these splits, so I figured I better do something! LOL. I used to have a protein treatment I bought at Sally's, I really liked it, but I ran out awhile ago and haven't bought any. So, aside from coconut oil my hair hasn't been getting any protein. I have the protein horse conditioner and my hair hated, it was so dry after. What do you use for protein?

The gliss protein one isn't too heavy this one https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gliss+keratin+conditioner&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Yk4OU-LXK67K0AW_j4CQBg&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1360&bih=610#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=OFKnv3qc3DE4QM%253A%3BMgjybzF5OavJtM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fwww.expresschemist.co.uk%252Fpics%25 2Fproducts%252F49755%252F2%252Fschwark-gliss-ultimate-con.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.expresschemist.co .uk%252Fschwarzkopf-gliss-hair-repair-ultimate-volume-with-liquid-keratin-conditioner-200ml.html%3B105%3B250

and this is a full on protein treatment and very cheap http://pedaheh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/gelatin-protein-treatment.html

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 01:33 PM
oooh, the moisturizing gelatine one looks interesting! Thanks for the links :) I was using the Aphogee, but not the two step, the 3 minute one.

Thanks for the tips Tigereye! I did rinse in the shower before the pool and my hair did get wet, but I was in and out of the sauna, so the ends of my hair would dry and then I was back in the pool. I will definitely do the oil and braid you suggest if I go again.

lapushka
February 26th, 2014, 01:55 PM
I doubt with your use of heat tools... that it's the hot showers. YKWIM? Those aren't splits, those are white dots, from heat damage most likely. I'd have all the damage trimmed. I'm with spidermom on that!

jeanniet
February 26th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Flat ironing six times in a month is a lot, especially if there was any previous heat damage (i.e., if you'd done any flat ironing on any part of your hair). Every time you flat iron on top of hair that's already been flat ironed, you're adding damage on top of damage. Some hair is more resilient to that kind of damage, but it doesn't seem that your hair is that tough. The only way to get rid of the damage is to grow it out and cut it off. It may help you to remember that every time you relapse on the heat and flat iron new growth, it becomes damaged growth. So if you want your hair to be completely healthy, get rid of the flat iron.

hairpleasegrow
February 26th, 2014, 03:41 PM

I agree that your hair looks fantastic, I think it looked great before too. Your hair is my dream hair. I'm new-ish here but I will say that the standards of healthy hair on this site are very high. If you look at most people's hair on the street they are not half as healthy and vibrant as the hair on this site .... including yours too

Just don't be too hard on yourself is all I really want to say! Your hair looks gorgeous to me!!!!! Don't cut too much more off just S and D and cat nip rinse, remember your worst hair day is someone else's dream hair day;)

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I flat ironed that often last month because I had a lot of functions that I had to look presentable for. Before that I flat ironed my hair six times the entire year usually when I was checking for length, and always super low at 325 degrees and with heat protector. And the year before that was the same, very minimal heat use. I did not realize that it would damage my hair so badly because years ago I flat ironed constantly and grew to hip without trying, or else I wouldn't have done it :/ I know that heat is bad for hair and I do try my best to avoid it. I didn't think my hair was heat damaged. It has been in the past and when it's heat damaged my waves are frizzy and rough. My hair is smooth and soft when it air dries now, not at all like when it's damaged. I think all of my bleach is cut out, if anything I might have one or two inches of old bleach in some places. I didn't think my hair would be this fragile at this point, I've cut sooooo much over the last two years. I was feeling pretty good about my hair all winter and I thought I was finally going to see some progress with growing, then bam! white dot city!

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I agree that your hair looks fantastic, I think it looked great before too. Your hair is my dream hair. I'm new-ish here but I will say that the standards of healthy hair on this site are very high. If you look at most people's hair on the street they are not half as healthy and vibrant as the hair on this site .... including yours too

Just don't be too hard on yourself is all I really want to say! Your hair looks gorgeous to me!!!!! Don't cut too much more off just S and D and cat nip rinse, remember your worst hair day is someone else's dream hair day;)

Thank you for saying that! That's really nice to hear! :) I agree everybody's hair on LHC is so gorgeous, I often feel like mine pales in comparison.

Kherome
February 26th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I flat ironed that often last month because I had a lot of functions that I had to look presentable for.

There is no reason at all that any sort of heat would be needed to make someone "look presentable." Saying so implies that anyone who isn't a 1a hair type doesn't look presentable. If your hair is clean and neat it doesn't need to be artificially flat and stuck to your head, which is the look flat irons create.

OrganicJewel
February 26th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I was not applying that as a sweeping statement for any hair type. My hair flips and waves around my face in a way that I don't like as it tends to look messy, mostly because of the length that it is. It would look much better if it was longer. I should have tried putting it half up or something, but I don't have an undo repertoire. Luckily I usually have nowhere to go where it matters what my hair looks like, so I won't be flat ironing it again. Especially now that I've just cut 1.5 inches off my hair :/

Kherome
February 26th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Youtube is full of updo tutorials

Ambystoma
February 26th, 2014, 07:35 PM
You're at an ideal length to learn lots of nice heat free styling techniques right now, if you prefer a straighter look check out some youtube tutorials on doobie wrapping or setting the hair on large rollers, and smaller rollers or rag curls for a polished wavy/curly look that imitates the look of curling iron curls - that way next time you have an occasion where you want to look your best you have plenty of options for creating the look you want without damaging your hair more since if your hair reacts heat styling that badly you might want to cut it down to 2/3 times a year or never. Also, if I were in your position I would just trim all my growth each month rather than chop since in photos it looks fine and chopping would just mean it would be harder to put up - good luck and if you have any questions about doobie wrapping on longer hair (a lot of the videos are made by women with chin - shoulder length) give me a yell :)

restless
February 26th, 2014, 10:05 PM
You mentioned stopping with the bleach but how about dyes? Do you ever dye your hair nowadays? I know my own F hair couldnt take it. I had tons and tons of bent ends/white dots when I dyed and heatstyled my hair.

Also, regarding sleeping: you wrote that youre a restless sleeper and dont like sleeping while wearing braid and buns. How bout trying a silk pillowcase so it gets at least some protection while you toss and turn?

Edit: Oh wait, dont mind me. My tired eyes missed that this thread consists of many pages already so the pillowcase has already been brought up several times.

CurlMonster
February 27th, 2014, 12:38 AM
Last question, I was trying to do a pre poo coconut oil soak at least once a week before I wash. If I'm CO'ing now, I guess I need to stop doing pre poo oiling? Or how will I get the oil out?

I have found that Co washing is great at getting oil out of hair. I often do a heavy coconut oiling before I wash, and it all comes out. :)