PDA

View Full Version : Convincing my man to grow his hair?

mellie
September 12th, 2008, 07:00 AM
I love seeing the masculine and gorgeous hair on our male LHC members, and I'd love to see my DH with hair like that!

He is by trade a classical guitarist and professor, so there's no reason why he couldn't have long hair. In fact, it would almost seem a prerequisite, right? :-)

However, he's a conservative guy, and he's been hard to convince. Any tips on getting him to give it a try?

emeraldfaery
September 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Good luck! I also love long hair on men (if it suits them). I hinted around to my BF that I loved long hair on guys and he actually started growing it out. Last week was our 6 month mark and his hair was about 3 inches or more. It grows really fast! Anyway, he decided to buzz it the other day. :( Oh well, one day maybe he'll grow it out again.

The only advice I can give is tell him he can always cut it off if he doesn't like it or if it doesn't suit him. Expressing a great intrest in it might also help. Seems like you already have though. lol

SweetPea88
September 12th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Maybe try showing him pictures of men with nice long hair and tell him how nice it could look on him. He doesn't have to commit, maybe just give it a little try?

Jason
September 12th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Having one's long hair brushed is a uniquely pleasurable sensation. Perhaps you could mention how much you'd like to do this for him once his hair has gotten long enough.

Maybe you could appeal to his curiosity - wouldn't he like to at least see how he looks with long hair even if he only tries it once?

mellie
September 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Great suggestions, thanks!

harley mama
September 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
No advise here. I decided years ago to accept my hubby and stop trying to change his way of thinking. :) He never tries to tell me how to dress or wear my hair so, I feel I should give him the same respect.

BTW- my man is bald, by choice. He shaves his head daily. I rather like the smooth noggin now!

Stacy_E
September 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Somehow my DH decided to give long hair a try for the first time at age 45. It helped big time that he was doing it in part to express being newly retired and no longer an engineer/manager for a major defense contractor, where it seems men all look alike with their short conservative haircuts. He also wanted to see what it was like to have long hair. I was all for it, so I started doing Internet research on how to grow long hair (this was when I discovered LHC and my own desire for long hair), and said, "I really think you should."

One thing I said seems to have stuck out for him as to why to do it: "Better grow it now before you don't have it anymore!"

Somehow you've got to make it seem like it was his idea, then support him all the way; I know that's tricky, but we women are good at it ;). If your DH is anything like mine, too much pushing only makes him want to push back.

ETA: Ooh, my last paragraph sounds manipulative--maybe that's not the way to go after all. Harley_mama is not manipulative--I like her advice.

Solange
September 12th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Tell him how it's a fantasy of yours to run your fingers though a man's long hair. This said with a dreamy expression on your face. So if he wants to be part of your fantasy..... ;O) I'm sure he knows you love him as he is, but I think most men like the idea of being even more appealing to their significant other.

GlennaGirl and others with similar views have a good point, though.

GlennaGirl
September 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to sound like a party pooper here...but I can't even imagine my DH saying the same things to me that are under consideration here for the OP to say to her DH.

I like you all so please don't take this the wrong way. :blossom:

I mean if you turn the situation around you'll see what I'm getting at. What if your hubby came up to you with pictures of women and said, "Look how nice she looks! You should grow/cut/color your hair so you can look as nice as she does". Wouldn't sit well with me, anyway, I can tell you that. :D Or "Better grow now...pretty soon you'll be too old to do it!"

My DH shaves his head with a #2 and it's all good with me.

ChloeDharma
September 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I must admit i'm of a similar thinking to Glenna and Harley here....i'd get VERY waspy if a man i was with started trying to get me to change my hair outside of what would be reasonable in my view (which doesn't leave much ;))
That said, i'm a hypocrite because i go for very short haired men anyway and always point out how much of a turn off anything else is to me.

But.....if i WAS trying to convince a partner to grow his hair, i'd probably bring it up as more like a question, just mentioning that i'd be curious to see how it looks, then maybe hint at how it could be really bonding to share growing together, scalp massages, synchronised DT's, just like....having that shared interest thing.
I definately wouldn't pressure him as i think it can be alot to ask of a man considering how much more effort is required of long hair growing and care compared to a wash and go supershort style.

heidi w.
September 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
If he has curls, tell them you love a little fluff of curls to twirl about in your fingers when watching a movie.

Ask him to go longer for him, in his world view -- not uber long to the knees -- just a small starter kit, such as a little longer in the back.

But if he doesn't like it, he doesn't like it. Just as we want to be left alone about our hair choices, I would assume the same applies in the other direction.

heidi w.

Islandgrrl
September 12th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I think I'd just ask him if he's ever considered it, tell him you think he'd look great and you'd like it if he gave it a go, and leave it alone. If he's interested, he might just do it. If he's not, that pretty much takes care of it. But at least you can plant the seed.

My DH decided all on his own after he retired that he wanted to grow his hair long. So he did. I encouraged him, but to be honest, I didn't care for long hair on him. I never said a word that wasn't positive, though. It's his hair to do with what he chooses. A boating accident in which he nearly lost a finger was the catalyst for his cutting (he could only use one hand for a couple months) - it was too difficult for him to maintain with his injury. As far as he's concerned, been there, done that. He buzzes it down to just about nothing once a week now.

rockkcor
September 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I have to notice that most men love long locks on ladies...
Some ladies love long locks on men too...

People wear wedding rings, and do other things as commitment of love. Why not to grow hair together with the one you love as a pledge of love? As long as you are together!

Just like love, hair grows trough the years with patience and care… To cut it – it takes but a second, just as heart can be broken in a minute…

Long hair instead of a ring? What do you think?