PDA

View Full Version : pre wash oilings on damp hair??

bunzfan
February 26th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Has anyone ever tried this I don't mean soaking wet hair more damp.. On an old bottle of coconut oil it said for a hair treatment apply oil to just washed hair and then wash out in the morning.. It got me wondering because as a wavy I can apply huge amounts of oil and my hair just drinks it all up. I have heard for wavies and curlies applying to damp hair works better.

Just as a little experiment when I did my pre wash oil last night misted the ends till wet and applied quite alot of oil and it's been absorbed but feels much softer than it normally does. My new oil is fabulous it's Indian one with a mix of coconut, castor, almond, grapeseed, olive. It seems just heavy enough even evoo isn't enough these days.

Crumpet
February 26th, 2014, 01:34 AM
I've been misting and then applying oil over it to seal in the goodness. I like it too! Of course, I'm also a wavy!

ExpectoPatronum
February 26th, 2014, 01:47 AM
I'm also a wavy who oils before washing...I always seem to forget the dampening step! I'll have to remember to do that when I oil on Thursday because it really does make a difference in my hair. I usually do it on dry hair simply because I forget to get my hair damp.

BroomHilda
February 26th, 2014, 02:32 AM
I cant see the point of using oil as a pre-poo on wet or damb hair. Oil is hydrophobic, it woudn't penetrate wet hair, only seal it.
The main idea behind prepooing is to avoid excessive hair expansion from water and/or leaving a protective layer of oil during/after washing. How this would happen with wet hair?

Maybe you re distributing oil more evenly while washing, but this would happen in WO mehtod, not shampoo or CO since the oil is lifted.

Firefox7275
February 26th, 2014, 02:46 AM
The published research is on dry hair. Oil and water don't mix so dampening hair could well just slow penetration. If you feel coconut is too 'hard' try a liquid oil rich in oleic acid (olive, sweet almond, avocado) or a mix of that and coxonut.

If your hair is that highly porous try more oil, longer soak times, added heat to increase absorption, more frequent oilings . Overly porous hair takes up too much water which leads to hygral fatigue and frizz is you are a wavy/ curly.

Water does soften hair, it breaks some of the structural protein bonds.