PDA

View Full Version : *total rant!* got a professional trim

squiggyflop
September 12th, 2008, 06:28 AM
ok so i was in the dining room watching my dad do whatever he was doing.. i asked him if he would buy me a new pair of hair scissors (someone used my old ones on paper) he asked me if i wanted to go get my hair done at a salon.. i said no and that it would be cheaper to get the scissors.. so he says.. if you want to get your hair done we can go (my car broke so he had to drive me around everywhere) i kept saying how it would be cheaper just to buy the scissors.. im not sure how he talked me into going.. he was being so sweet.. so we went to the salon..

i said i wanted a shampoo and a HALF INCH TRIM.. first of all when the lady was washing my hair it HURT because she was being so rough.. then she started combing out my hair from the top.. i could hear hair breaking.. i told her to start at the bottom.. she nodded to me and continued combing from the top.. then i asked to see her nails.. and told her that i didnt want anymore than the length of her pinky nail cut off.. im fairly certain that more than an inch got cut off.. i didnt flip out in the store because my dad was standing there looking so.. so.. well he had that look on his face like when he does something especially nice for me.. then we get to the cashier and she comments on how long its been.. i couldnt remember ever going there.. she said that i had been there in 05.. i suddenly remembered that i had gotten my hair butchered there before.. i had asked for them to even out my hair and they cut it 4 inches all over.. it looked like a mullet growing out..

i looked at my ends.. the scissors she was using must have been dull too.. the ends are already getting ragged

harley mama
September 12th, 2008, 07:38 AM
I'm sorry you had such an awful experience squiggyflop. I know there are good hair stylists out there but, I have yet to find one. I stopped looking after years of bad cuts. That's why I now have long, scraggly hair!

Hugs!

Patrycja
September 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM
:grouphug: I am beyond sorry that this happened to you,sweetie. I wish I could make it better :(

FrannyG
September 12th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Squiggy, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think, hon. :grouphug: I'm sure she used sharp scissors. Dull scissors is one thing I've never encounter in a salon.

Sometimes we get so paranoid about our hair that things appear much worse than they are.

I'll bet that after your next wash, your hair will look just fine to you. :blossom:

fxdwgchick
September 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
You poor thing! I know how it is to suck it up while someone's doing something "nice" for you...my mother recently rearranged everything in my kitchen while I was recouping from a hysterectomy...I now own at least 2 of everything...it's easier to buy another whatever than to get all mad looking for the one I know I own!!

Next time...order a pair of shears online (go to dog.com or groomerschoice.com, same shears, half the price)...and don't mention it to anyone, then you won't get an offer to "help". Always have your shears sharpened, even brand new ones. They're sharp, but not honed to perfection. A good, small pair of shears will cost you under $50, to sharpen costs $6 or so, and you can order them and request they be sharpened before they're sent to you...I avoid the hairdresser like the plague! They all want to chop everything off, dye it, or bleach it, back brush it and glue it together...gross.

Good luck growing it out...maybe you should let your dad see what efforts are being brought forth by other members of LHC so that he gets a better understanding. (?)

Sorry about them breaking your hair. I use a HUGE ancient ivory comb...it's the only thing besides my KENT (yeah, I'm that vain) BBB that I use on my hair...Hey, ask him for a Kent for Christmas, maybe he'll get the idea!!

tiny_teesha
September 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Oh I'm so sorry that happened to you. You are torn because you don't want to upset your dad, but they really didn't give you good service. That is a bit of a pickle. The scissors is probably a better investment for the future, try to make the best of it, she COULD have cut it above your shoulders!!! Just think that! So sorry that you had another bad experience though!

Reptilia
September 12th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Ugh, I hate salons. Once I went for a trim, and she did a good job and cut off VERY little, but charged me for a total cut! $50!! Pfft.

dorothea-brooke
September 12th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I'm so sorry, Squiggy! That does not sound like a fun experience.... The worst part is paying money (or having it paid for you) for something you hated. Plus having to pretend to your dad that you liked it!

Bright side: the extra half-inch will be back in a month. And I'm sure your hair wasn't too damaged; as FrannyG pointed out, we all get a bit wiggy (ha ha! :silly:) about haircuts....

:grouphug:

squiggyflop
September 12th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I'm sorry you had such an awful experience squiggyflop. I know there are good hair stylists out there but, I have yet to find one. I stopped looking after years of bad cuts. That's why I now have long, scraggly hair!

Hugs!
i used to go to a really great stylist.. but that was when my mom lived with us.. she didnt have a problem with booking an appointment.. dad is a walk in kind of guy..

:grouphug: I am beyond sorry that this happened to you,sweetie. I wish I could make it better :(
your so sweet..

Squiggy, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think, hon. :grouphug: I'm sure she used sharp scissors. Dull scissors is one thing I've never encounter in a salon.

Sometimes we get so paranoid about our hair that things appear much worse than they are.

I'll bet that after your next wash, your hair will look just fine to you. :blossom:
maybe im seeing all the hair she ripped by starting at the top.. i have washed it.. i thought that it would look better after i washed it with my products.. but no it didnt..

You poor thing! I know how it is to suck it up while someone's doing something "nice" for you...my mother recently rearranged everything in my kitchen while I was recouping from a hysterectomy...I now own at least 2 of everything...it's easier to buy another whatever than to get all mad looking for the one I know I own!!

Next time...order a pair of shears online (go to dog.com or groomerschoice.com, same shears, half the price)...and don't mention it to anyone, then you won't get an offer to "help". Always have your shears sharpened, even brand new ones. They're sharp, but not honed to perfection. A good, small pair of shears will cost you under $50, to sharpen costs $6 or so, and you can order them and request they be sharpened before they're sent to you...I avoid the hairdresser like the plague! They all want to chop everything off, dye it, or bleach it, back brush it and glue it together...gross.

Good luck growing it out...maybe you should let your dad see what efforts are being brought forth by other members of LHC so that he gets a better understanding. (?)

Sorry about them breaking your hair. I use a HUGE ancient ivory comb...it's the only thing besides my KENT (yeah, I'm that vain) BBB that I use on my hair...Hey, ask him for a Kent for Christmas, maybe he'll get the idea!!

oh my dad didnt want me to cut my hair short.. he knew i was going to only get half an inch trimmed.. i already have some good combs.. i hardy use them because i love my wood bristle brushes so much.. my dad is rather supportive of my goals.. when people ask me about my hair color when he is around he loves to tell them how wonderful henna is and how it fixed my hair and protects it.. (before henna my hair was bleached repeatedly and damaged so badly that it was highly flammable)

i think my dad just wanted me to feel pampered.. he knows that i can cut my own hair very well.. ive been cutting my own hair for years.. (except for that one trip to the salon in 05) and he has always been supportive of me cutting my own hair.. and ofcourse when it came time to shear my brothers hair off like a sheep.. i was the one asked to do it.. (my brother has puffy curly orange hair that is extremely thick so its sort of like sheering an orange sheep.. hehe)

next time im buying scissors..

FrannyG
September 12th, 2008, 08:27 AM
i

maybe im seeing all the hair she ripped by starting at the top.. i have washed it.. i thought that it would look better after i washed it with my products.. but no it didnt..

oh my dad didnt want me to cut my hair short.. he knew i was going to only get half an inch trimmed.. i already have some good combs.. i hardy use them because i love my wood bristle brushes so much.. my dad is rather supportive of my goals.. when people ask me about my hair color when he is around he loves to tell them how wonderful henna is and how it fixed my hair and protects it.. (before henna my hair was bleached repeatedly and damaged so badly that it was highly flammable)

i think my dad just wanted me to feel pampered.. he knows that i can cut my own hair very well.. ive been cutting my own hair for years.. (except for that one trip to the salon in 05) and he has always been supportive of me cutting my own hair.. and ofcourse when it came time to shear my brothers hair off like a sheep.. i was the one asked to do it.. (my brother has puffy curly orange hair that is extremely thick so its sort of like sheering an orange sheep.. hehe)

next time im buying scissors..

Oh dear, I'm so sorry that it's still not looking right even after a wash with your own products. Believe me, I understand. :grouphug:

Isn't it the saddest thing when someone we love gives us a gift that just doesn't turn out? I'll bet your dad was so proud to do this for you, thinking it was a good thing.

Yes, sweetie, you need to get yourself some scissors, and keep them in a drawer in your room, where no one can get at them for use on paper.

I hope you feel better soon. :blossom:

taliarose
September 12th, 2008, 08:30 AM
i hardy use them because i love my wood bristle brushes so much..

Ohh never heard of those before. Do you have a brand name???

Sorry about the experiance. :grouphug: That's why once a year or every other year I usually have a family member do my trim. Now I think I'll just do self trimming...

fxdwgchick
September 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM

Oh, do tell! I LOVE a good hairbrush! :D

The Kent was a gift to myself, and is beyond description. It was made specifically for my hair type, and it leaves such a gorgeous finish. However, it IS BBB, so I have to use the comb for scalp stimulation...wood bristles sound nice!

squiggyflop
September 12th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Sorry about the experiance. :grouphug: That's why once a year or every other year I usually have a family member do my trim. Now I think I'll just do self trimming...
well the 2 that i use often are natural instinct brand.. i tried to use my old metal bristle brush recently and it was awful.. it hurt my scalp and there wasnt enouh give in the bristles..

Oh, do tell! I LOVE a good hairbrush! :D

The Kent was a gift to myself, and is beyond description. It was made specifically for my hair type, and it leaves such a gorgeous finish. However, it IS BBB, so I have to use the comb for scalp stimulation...wood bristles sound nice!
yes wood bristle brushes are nice.. i think i made a thread about them a while back.. ok here is the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5913).. alot of people like the body shop brush.. i like mine better though because the bedding for the bristles in my natural instincts brushes are softer..

hmm i dont think ill ever buy from kent.. i can make my own wooden combs (easier than you would think.. see self made hairtoys thread) and i have more than enough horn combs.. i bought 3 sets (2 in a set) of horn combs after i saw that they had been marked down from 90 something dollars to 10$.. if i wanted an acrilic comb i would just make my own or file down the seams of a store bought one.... i like to make my own because then they can be customized for my hair type.. hey wait was your kent thing a comb? i feel like you might have said it was a comb

fxdwgchick
September 12th, 2008, 12:12 PM
well the 2 that i use often are natural instinct brand.. i tried to use my old metal bristle brush recently and it was awful.. it hurt my scalp and there wasnt enouh give in the bristles..

yes wood bristle brushes are nice.. i think i made a thread about them a while back.. ok here is the thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5913).. alot of people like the body shop brush.. i like mine better though because the bedding for the bristles in my natural instincts brushes are softer..

hmm i dont think ill ever buy from kent.. i can make my own wooden combs (easier than you would think.. see self made hairtoys thread) and i have more than enough horn combs.. i bought 3 sets (2 in a set) of horn combs after i saw that they had been marked down from 90 something dollars to 10$.. if i wanted an acrilic comb i would just make my own or file down the seams of a store bought one.... i like to make my own because then they can be customized for my hair type.. hey wait was your kent thing a comb? i feel like you might have said it was a comb

Nope, my hairbrush is a Kent LHS9. White boar on satinwood...very nice! Hey, if it's good enough for the Queen, it's good enough for a dog groomer:D

Little_Bird
September 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Gosh... I think this is why people shouldn't try and please others if it's not what they want. You could have told your father that it would make you happier to have the new scissors, that way I'm sure he would buy them for you.

Anyway, it's so awesome your father cares for your hair. That is really great, you're lucky about it. Regarding your ends, if they're too bad you can always do a dusting yourself :)

And God, if someone uses my scissors on anything that's not hair... I'm going to be very angry:p

I wish you the best luck :flower:

mugglemomof3
September 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Hugs for the bad experience. :grouphug:

squiggyflop
September 12th, 2008, 03:15 PM
thanks yall.. yup next time ill get the scissors.. im having a bit of trouble reading the posts because i just got a firefox add on that teaches kanji by context.. the first letters of certain words are transformed into a kanji that takes the meaning of the word.. i think its called kanji-lish.. so dont be surprised if i misinterpret something

Soniasonia
September 12th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Salons must be destroyed.

Arctic_Mama
September 12th, 2008, 04:06 PM
It was such a nice gesture by your dad, but I am sorry it turned out so badly. Guys try, they really do, they just don't always *succeed* at the sweet gestures. My father and husband are the same in this :)

I agree though, just get new scissors and have them sharpened nicely, you're set!

Arctic_Mama
September 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Eh, they're good for eyebrow waxes and pedicures. Hairdressers should have a code of longhair conduct!

squiggyflop
September 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
interesting idea:)

It was such a nice gesture by your dad, but I am sorry it turned out so badly. Guys try, they really do, they just don't always *succeed* at the sweet gestures. My father and husband are the same in this :)

I agree though, just get new scissors and have them sharpened nicely, you're set!
yeah dad really tries.. just 5 minutes ago i was thinking about sturbridge village and said something about it.. he was like.. how about we go next weekend if the weather is nice.. and i was like yeah! he is a sweet guy.. and yeah im already looking into getting some scissors..

darl_in1
September 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM

?????????

Alternatively, if you don't like them, don't go and leave them for the people who do like them.

To the OP - if all they trimmed was half inch, then honestly that's not so bad. I'm sure it is something that only you can notice as it's your hair. I expect it still looks great to everyone else, who probably won't even know it was cut. Half an inch is only a months growth averagely - so give it a few weeks and you be right back where you wanted.

Peggy E.
September 13th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Oh, I hate when this happens: When someone is being so sweet, trying so hard to do something special, nice for you, and it turns into a disaster. What can you do? Say? Nothing!

You thank your father so very much for his kind generosity - and you write in LARGE LETTERS in your address book the name of this torture chamber along with the notation "NEVER AGAIN!"

EmpressRi
September 13th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Oh boy oh boy. I just got my biyearly trim this morning and I'm happy. But I only let my stylist of 6 years cut my hair. I also wash and press it out myself if he's going to trim it because people are rough! (Although he isn't, but the average person doesn't want to take their time needed to they don't trash your hair)

squiggyflop
September 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM
?????????

Alternatively, if you don't like them, don't go and leave them for the people who do like them.

To the OP - if all they trimmed was half inch, then honestly that's not so bad. I'm sure it is something that only you can notice as it's your hair. I expect it still looks great to everyone else, who probably won't even know it was cut. Half an inch is only a months growth averagely - so give it a few weeks and you be right back where you wanted.
actually i measured and it was over an inch and a half cut off.. i asked for less than a half inch trimmed. so she took off an extra inch.. so its set me back 3+ months... ive had people commenting on how short it looks now.. and i didnt even tell anyone that i got a trim.. grrr.. thats something that most members of this site hate to hear..

LadyLongLocks
September 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Wow that had to be terrible when she ripped through your hair. I would have been furious!
I'm sorry you had this bad experience but at least it was about an inch and not more. I have trimmed my hair since 2006. I had 8" cut and not the 3" I asked for. Being at knee length now I have my own method that works great so I never have to go to a salon. If someone HAD to go I guess they could wash it at home,comb it out and arrive with their own scissors :( It was nice of you not to say anything to your dad since he thought he was doing you a favor.

brok3nwings
September 27th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I think that one of the reasons they never trim only half an inch is because they cant get the hair "right" with so few to go... yes i know we expect them to respect our wishes but i can "understand" why they always cut about inch and a half...and not just half an inch. I just CANT understand when you ask half an inch and they cut 5 inches! I just cant understand some stupid haircuts that some of them end up doing...
half an inch? An inch? It will grow quicly! :)

papillon
September 27th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I'm adding my sympathies and hugs. Going to a salon can be so frustrating! It's also really hard to find a stylist that can be trusted and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a simple trim. *sigh*