PDA

View Full Version : WHEN does your hair grow?

nobeltonya
February 25th, 2014, 08:41 AM
For instance, my hair only seems to grow the week after my period... the few weeks leading up to and during my period, it just stalls. Then, within the week or so after my period, I grow 1/2" to 1". Every month. Does your hair grow at a particular time of the month? I only noticed this in the last year or 2 when I started regularly checking my length. :disco:

Madora
February 25th, 2014, 08:43 AM
It is growing all the time. It grows slightly faster in warm months.

ravenheather
February 25th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Not sure how it corresponds to monthly cycle, but I do grow in spurts. So that is possible.

diddiedaisy
February 25th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I've never noticed before. My hair has only grown a couple of mm's in the past couple of weeks, and I'm coming up to that time so it will be interesting to see if it effects it.

Long_hair_bear
February 25th, 2014, 10:22 AM
My hair grows when it feels like it, which is barely never. I've been stuck at 33" for 3 months now! :( However, this has happened before when I was at 32" and it grew an inch in a month (I check my length monthly)! I'm just hoping I'm not nearing term because I just past waist! :(

Nadine <3
February 25th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I don't pay that close attention to my hair. I check to see if I'm APL every couple of months but that's about the only measuring I do, otherwise I would go nuts! Interesting though. Maybe because during the period, iron levels are lower? Or the hormones that are released stall them...?

Skade
February 25th, 2014, 10:47 AM
I usually shed a lot in the winter and have growth spurts in spring and summer, so I´m really happy that spring is around the corner.

chen bao jun
February 25th, 2014, 10:54 AM
I can't tell. My hair is curly and looks as if its not growing at all, then suddenly, usually after about 3-4 months, I'll notice that it's actually 2-3 inches longer. I can't tell that its grown at all unless its at least 2 inches. Or when I look at pictures from months or years ago.

Firefox7275
February 25th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Do you eat more or differently around your period? Wierd questio but its actually really common to have appetite changes. Metabolism is increased at that time so its not impossible hair growth would too.

JessicaAnn
February 25th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Do you eat more or differently around your period? Wierd questio but its actually really common to have appetite changes. Metabolism is increased at that time so its not impossible hair growth would too.

That's actually a really interesting idea. I tend to sleep a lot more around that time, if the OP does to that might have a hand in it. I feel like the better fed and hydrated, and more well rested you are, the better your hair is going to grow.

longishhair
February 25th, 2014, 01:18 PM
When I pay the least attention to it :rant:

jacqueline101
February 25th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I've noticed in the summer months mine grows fast. It grows really fast in the humid weather. I do eat more tuna salad and fresh veggies and fruits in the summer.

HazelBug
February 25th, 2014, 02:23 PM
It makes sense that your hair would grow the fastest about a week or 2 after your period. Your estrogen levels are at their highest during that part of your cycle. And high estrogen can make hair grow faster. That's one reason pregnant woman have faster growing hair.

shutterpillar
February 25th, 2014, 02:24 PM
I've honestly never noticed when it grows, besides that it tends to grow a bit faster in the spring and summer. I have no idea what time of the month it tends to grow, or whether or not it corresponds with my cycle. I imagine that would be all kinds of wonky data anyway since I am taking birth control for ovarian cysts and have my period only once every three months.

It wouldn't surprise me if there is some correlation between hormones and hair growth, though.

Remi
February 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I have noticed that too. The growing a little faster in warm months. But also, I have noticed hair fallout since I started medication for blood pressure. The thickness is still OK, but not quite as thick as it used to be.

Anyuta
February 25th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I've actually been noticing more hair growth on growing moon.. Yea, I downloaded this moon calendar on my phone and now I know when the moon is growing or when it is growing backwards (for the lack of term lol). And I don't know, maybe I just got an illusion, but I feel like my hair is growing slightly faster during moon growing cycles.

TrapperCreekD
February 25th, 2014, 07:53 PM
I only check once a month, for the length shot challenge, that way I'm not obsessing - at least not too much - over length so I have no idea if there's a growth spurt during a certain part of the month...

Sarahlabyrinth
February 25th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Mine grows all the time - of course not as fast as I would like it to :)

0xalis
February 26th, 2014, 12:28 AM
I don't know but now I'm curious :D

cosmic crusader
February 26th, 2014, 01:19 AM
I quit smoking a month ago and my period is MIA. Now I'm all worried I'll experience a stall, haha!

HazelBug
February 26th, 2014, 02:24 AM
I quit smoking a month ago and my period is MIA. Now I'm all worried I'll experience a stall, haha!

might you be pregnant?

BroomHilda
February 26th, 2014, 02:37 AM
I grow 1/2" to 1". Every month.

1 whole inch per month??

:justy:

Rio040113
February 26th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Hmm, I'm curious now, I measure my hair once a month so I'm not sure if it grows quicker at certain times or not. I don't get periods (sorry if tmi) because I'm on Cerazette at the minute :lol: My hair has gone from growing under 0.5" a month to a solid 1" a month lately though o.o and my shedding is way down, literally 10 - 15 shed hairs a day maximum, including what I lose in the shower during washing :shrug:

Stray_mind
February 26th, 2014, 05:07 AM
I never paid attention to when my hair grows actually.. I guess i'm gonna have to try. I notice that it grows faster during warm weather though.. :hmm:

prettyinpink
February 26th, 2014, 06:51 AM
My hair grows like a weed in the summer, and hardly grew at all this winter, until I started using a heated electric blanket at night. Maybe its just a couincidence!

lindsayhv
February 26th, 2014, 07:01 AM
This is definitely an interesting thought. I am going to pay close attention to this now. I feel like my hair is never growing (now that I've started watching it) but I know it is....

Since having my kids, I thought the prenatal vitamins may have been the reason for the nice growth during pregnancy, so now I take prenatals all the time, even thought I'm not pregnant, nor trying to get pregnant.

JessicaAnn
February 26th, 2014, 07:57 AM
This is definitely an interesting thought. I am going to pay close attention to this now. I feel like my hair is never growing (now that I've started watching it) but I know it is....

Since having my kids, I thought the prenatal vitamins may have been the reason for the nice growth during pregnancy, so now I take prenatals all the time, even thought I'm not pregnant, nor trying to get pregnant.

I've taken prenatals off and on for years and my hair experiences really great growth when I'm taking them regularly. It grows pretty well all the time, but it seems like it just comes in better when I'm taking the vitamins. I'm slightly anemic, so I know the extra iron helps, but the rest of it has to be contributing as well.

spidermom
February 26th, 2014, 09:05 AM
when I'm not looking

swearnsue
February 26th, 2014, 09:24 AM
It seems to grow fastest when I don't have time to touch up the roots! So I would say when I'm busy and not paying attention to it, it grows a bit faster than slow.

nobeltonya
February 26th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I used to have problems with low hemoglobin and iron also when I was younger... and more sleepy and feeling like crap around my period. Maybe that's why? :disco:

Remi
February 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Yes! Like spidermom said, when I'm not looking.

nobeltonya
February 26th, 2014, 11:39 AM
1 whole inch per month??

:justy:

Sometimes. Right after I cut off 6" last year, within 2 weeks it had grown 1". Usually probably closer to 1/2" to 3/4". :disco:

Nebulae
February 26th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I wish I knew, so I could make it grow more :lol:

Rinna
March 1st, 2014, 01:10 AM
I used to dye my hair a much lighter shade for years and I could see the new growth, no guesswork. It always steadily grew half an inch per month.

Now I dye with far less bleach and lost the ability to tell for sure. Never actually measured my hair, though.

AmyBeth
March 1st, 2014, 11:01 AM
I gain more net length when I do a more significant trim (1 inch or more) as opposed to microtrimming (1/4 inch). I've noticed that trend all my life.

maskedrose
March 1st, 2014, 02:40 PM
For instance, my hair only seems to grow the week after my period... the few weeks leading up to and during my period, it just stalls. Then, within the week or so after my period, I grow 1/2" to 1". Every month.

I've actually been noticing more hair growth on growing moon.. Yea, I downloaded this moon calendar on my phone and now I know when the moon is growing or when it is growing backwards (for the lack of term lol). And I don't know, maybe I just got an illusion, but I feel like my hair is growing slightly faster during moon growing cycles.

Now I'm curious about growth during my cycle - especially since it follows the lunar cycle almost exactly. I get my period on the new moon, and ovulate right around the full moon. It's been really interesting to watch it align since I came off hormonal birth control two years ago. I'll have to start paying attention to whether hair growth fits into that now...

SkyChild
March 1st, 2014, 03:13 PM
Is there not an old wives' tale about cutting your hair at certain times of the moon to help stimulate growth? Nightblooming mentions it on her etsy shop with the three moons treatment. Perhaps this growth/non growth is linked to this in some way (thinking of a cycle that would fit with a typical menstrual cycle)

Nanna
April 8th, 2014, 01:20 AM
I've just started wondering about this. I'll try to track my growth for a couple of months to see if it follows either my period or the lunar cycle! My growth is fairly steadily 1 cm per month, though I gained one extra centimeter somewhere during the summer, and I feel like I didn't have any growth during December and January.

Ambystoma
April 8th, 2014, 02:28 AM
I have had mine grow a whole months worth (around 1") in the 14 days after having my son - it's been crazy, my nails grew super fast as well, I went into the hospital with a medium short demure length and after only 3 days they were talons :laugh: so I bet there is a lot of hormonal influence going on during a regular month too, it's just more subtle.

MaryO
April 8th, 2014, 03:11 AM
I have no idea. I think mine grows when I'm not looking! ;-)

Mizumi
April 8th, 2014, 03:59 PM
It grows faster when I trim. Not a lie! ;) Also, it seems to grow the fastest between summer and autumn and it stalls always when winter ends.

chen bao jun
April 9th, 2014, 03:42 PM
My hair grows a pretty steady 3/4 inch a month. However, since I'm very curly, it will look the same length for some time and then suddenly look longer.
When I was a kid they used to say to cut it on June 24th, which is St. John the Baptist's Day. We would all get our hair cut on that day and never on any other day. it seemed that our hair grew but I 'm sure that it is just because we weren't cutting it too much. In my house, only our father cut our hair and he took off about 1/2 inch from the bottom on that day.
I never could figure out what John the Baptist had to do with your hair growing. Maybe they thought people cut their hair on his day because he got his head cut Off? Maybe its the beginning of summer and most people's hair grows more in the heat?
I take all special hair cutting days as being for similar reasons for John the Baptist day and don't pay attention to any of them.