PDA

View Full Version : WHOA Shea butter Smell

marcusandila
February 24th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I bought some unrefined African shea butter today at my local health food store, it was all sealed up so I couldn't smell it. I have never used shea butter for anything, but I wanted to try it out for hair/body recipes. When I looked it up, people were saying "the nutty smell stinks" "I like the smell of shea" etc.

My thoughts... I like the smell of nuts... I should love it!

Nope. Just opening the jar was too much, but I put a tiny 1/2 dime size amount on my elbow. 2 hours later, I still smell like an oil spill. yuck!

Is there some trick I'm missing to making unrefined shea smell tolerable? heating / mixing up some concoction ????

lillithnight
February 24th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Essential oils should help with the smell. Just go by properties and scents you like.

Fethenwen
February 25th, 2014, 02:11 AM
That is weird, I find the smell really lovely. A kind of nutty white chocolaty smell. But I guess it depends on the product, or perhaps that the smell of shea butter does not mix well with your own scent.

SleepyTangles
February 25th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Hi! I think shea butter has she funniest smell, not quite pleasant: raw shea butter contains high percentages of natural latex, and the smell reminds me very much of play-dough!

ladyfey
February 25th, 2014, 04:14 AM
Huh, it smells smokey to me, not unpleasant really.

Theobroma
February 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Are you sure the stuff is still fresh? Shea butter does go off and if by bad luck you got an old batch, it might be rancid.

Sterlyn
February 25th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I don't like the smell of shea butter either, it lingers in my hair or skin and after a while I can't stand it anymore. It's good stuff, but I have switched to mango butter as my base, it has a much milder scent. If I use shea butter in any of my mixes I use it in really small amounts.

Anje
February 25th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Are you sure the stuff is still fresh? Shea butter does go off and if by bad luck you got an old batch, it might be rancid.

This. Shea butter can go bad. If it's really nasty-stinky (not just a gentle earthy sort of smell), it's probably rancid.

reilly0167
September 29th, 2015, 10:07 AM
I bought some unrefined African shea butter today at my local health food store, it was all sealed up so I couldn't smell it. I have never used shea butter for anything, but I wanted to try it out for hair/body recipes. When I looked it up, people were saying "the nutty smell stinks" "I like the smell of shea" etc.

My thoughts... I like the smell of nuts... I should love it!

Nope. Just opening the jar was too much, but I put a tiny 1/2 dime size amount on my elbow. 2 hours later, I still smell like an oil spill. yuck!

Is there some trick I'm missing to making unrefined shea smell tolerable? heating / mixing up some concoction ????i hate the smell myself so i bought on amazon refined shea butter no smell alot softer so its easy to mix..it makes my skin and hair soft.

Deborah
September 29th, 2015, 10:57 PM
It's probably not gone bad. It just does have an odd smell. It kind of grows on you, but it smells sort of nutty/smoky to me.

Obsidian
September 30th, 2015, 07:38 PM
I've had raw shea with different smells. Some are mild, others are really strong and nasty. Usually, the darker yellow it is, the stronger the scent.

Groovy Granny
September 30th, 2015, 10:36 PM
I love the Shea Moisture raw Shea Butter S&C; the fragrance is intoxicating :crush:
And I am not one for strong smells, but this is lovely and only presents when I comb my hair or it brushes my face.

Groovy Granny
September 30th, 2015, 10:37 PM
I love the Shea Moisture raw Shea Butter S&C; the fragrance is intoxicating :crush:
And I am not one for strong smells, but this is lovely and only presents when I comb my hair or it brushes my face.

However their Yucca S&C :puke:
I threw it out; never again!!!

hennalonghair
October 2nd, 2015, 04:39 PM
I love the scent of my shea butter . It has lemon grass and palm tree wax in it as well as a bit of coconut oil.
The smell is intoxicating and one of the things I love the most about it

hennalonghair
October 2nd, 2015, 04:45 PM
This might help you some
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0mkatyC74c
It's easily mixed with other things to make something even better

Kitten1030
October 3rd, 2015, 06:01 PM
I like the smell of unrefined Shea butter. It smells like good garden dirt to me. I might try playing around with mixing in essential oils just for fun.

JennyP
October 6th, 2015, 07:40 PM
I don't like it either. I've mixed it half and half with cocoa butter (melt together and let solidify) and that smells much better.