PDA

View Full Version : Pulling on braid while sleeping

mamaherrera
February 24th, 2014, 12:50 PM
My hair is now getting longer :cheese:BUT. . . . now I find that my braid, is getting stuck behind my back/shoulders and when I turn to breastfeed baby in bed, I'm pulling on that braid long and hard (Not wanting to pull out hairs is my biggest fear) and/or when I'm in a deep sleep and I want to turn a direction, those lovely pulls awake me. any suggestions, what do you all do???

sarahthegemini
February 24th, 2014, 12:51 PM
What about a braided bun?

ravenheather
February 24th, 2014, 12:52 PM
I am not long enough to have that problem yet, but what about folding braid under and tying it with a ribbon. That way its half as long.

mamaherrera
February 24th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I like that one. with buns, I can't keep them on my head without claw clips and I don't want that while sleeping and they bug my head/position for sleeping. But this one sounds do-able. Where do you find your ribbons that would be satin/silk????? I have never purchased "ribbons"

I am not long enough to have that problem yet, but what about folding braid under and tying it with a ribbon. That way its half as long.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 24th, 2014, 01:13 PM
What about wearing a sleeping cap, they are great.

spidermom
February 24th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I braid loosely from the top of the head and direct the braid over the top of my pillow. I also wedge a second pillow between the bed frame and the mattress so that my braid doesn't slip over the edge, hang, and pull.

sumidha
February 24th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I braid loosely from the top of the head and direct the braid over the top of my pillow. I also wedge a second pillow between the bed frame and the mattress so that my braid doesn't slip over the edge, hang, and pull.

This, a million times this. I cannot count the mornings I woke up with my shoulder or neck hurting because I laid on my braid all night, until I figured out the hair above your head on the pillow trick.

RapunzelKat
February 24th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I flip my braid up over my pillow. (Similar to what spidermom does, though I braid from the nape.) Actually, I'm pretty sure I got the idea from one of her posts. :D This way, the braid is largely laying on my satin pillowcase, and I avoid pulling and having it wrap around my neck in my sleep.

Folding the braid in half is also a good idea if it's too short to flip over your pillow. Also, you could give spin pins a try if you'd be more comfy in a bun :)

furnival
February 24th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I use a 'hair sock' -the cut-off foot of a pair of soft tights. I braid, wind the braid around itself, slip the hair sock over it and secure with an elastic over the fabric at the top. This leaves me with a stumpy teardrop-shaped thing that hangs at the nape of my neck and sits at one side or the other while I'm sleeping. It protects my length from the nocturnal flailings of my SO and protects my pillows from overnight oilings. :)

tetisheri72
February 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I like that one. with buns, I can't keep them on my head without claw clips and I don't want that while sleeping and they bug my head/position for sleeping. But this one sounds do-able. Where do you find your ribbons that would be satin/silk????? I have never purchased "ribbons"

Just about anywhere that sells ribbons or fabric.

YamaMaya
February 24th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I do a side braid pulled to the front for bed, it keeps it from getting trapped underneath.

ladyfey
February 25th, 2014, 04:23 AM
I second the sleep cap. I co-sleep with my kids and had a problem with me or them getting on top of my hair during the night. I could really see the damage being done to it. I got a sleep cap and now wear my hair loose in the cap at night, it is perfect. The ends of my hair still look a bit sad where damage was done, but it is getting better! I got mine from blensblends.com

Natalia
February 25th, 2014, 04:27 AM
When I sleep in a braid I generally try to toss it over the pillow. When that isn't comfy I bring it over my shoulder and down my shirt. Im always cold though so I layer a tank with another top so I don't feel the hair rubbing on my skin. It seems to stay secure enough without rubbing the hair free from the braid when I toss and turn.

ravenheather
February 25th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Any fabric or craft store will have ribbon. Some walmarts carry it as well.

mamaherrera
February 25th, 2014, 07:35 AM
thanks, last night I did a braid, and secured it up with a scarf, and everything came off. I tied the braid with a string I had, that came out too. what to do, what to do. Maybe it's my weird head shape

michelle1000
February 25th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I find that if I put my hair up and use satin pillow cases there is a lot less fall out

walterSCAN
February 25th, 2014, 08:10 AM
I'm with spidermom and RapunzelKat-- I flip mine up over the pillow. Actually, I sleep with several pillows, so I flip it over the one under my head and tuck the end of the braid between the pillows behind it. It stays pretty well put when I do that, and no danger of getting stuck under me or wrapping around the Booger somehow.

Pierre
February 25th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I wear two braided buns, one on each side, and wrap them in a Buff.

Leslieslsa
February 25th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I agree with the sleeping cap idea. In fact most of the time I braid it and put the braid under the sleeping cap which gives it extra protection.

Larki
February 25th, 2014, 11:15 AM
You can't use a sleeping cap/scarf if you have blunt bangs though, right? At least not without having to fix and style the bangs in the morning.

Fairlight63
February 25th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I also use a sleep cap that helps a LOT! I used to sleep with my hair in a braid, but I found a bunch of short hairs along the neckline & wondered if the braid may have caused that, so went back to using a sleep cap. Also when I would turn over in the night the braid wound get in the way, the sleep cap helps with that also. Now I just comb my hair at night & put on the sleep cap - my hair is loose in it & nothing is pulling on my hair. Hopefully my neck hairs will get long enough to fit into a bun again & not just be frizz at my neck.

mamaherrera
February 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I might try burying it under pillows, I mean flipping it and wedging it under pillows, I can't believe how hard of a thing it is trying to find a way to sleep now that I've got longer hair. I hope when and if (maybe I won't) have a post-pregnancy shed, that I don't decide cutting off my length