PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Amahaitz
February 24th, 2014, 11:30 AM
I went to visit my parents yesterday and as always, they both had something to say about my hair (yes, I am 44 years old :)). First my mother told me that it was too long and I needed to pull it back. Then my father told me that I needed to get the haircut I had about twelve years ago which was a total "mom" cut that I shall NEVER have again. My brother happened to stop by and said I looked like Crystal Gayle (which to all of them is not a compliment). What do you guys think? Does this look completely silly and I just don't know it?

sarahthegemini
February 24th, 2014, 11:42 AM
I honestly can't see anything wrong with your hair! Just ignore them, I think your hair is lovely but the important thing is are you happy with it?

spidermom
February 24th, 2014, 11:56 AM
This is the long hair community; of course we don't think it looks silly.
When you're going to be around them, wear a nice up-do. What they can't see hopefully won't inspire criticism.

pogo0685
February 24th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I love your color! I think your hair is beautiful. As long as you like it then who cares what they tell you. My in laws are the same way with my DH except they actually cover up his pictures with old ones. Like we Went and got a professional family portrait done. They cut his face out of random pictures that they had and glued it over his face/hair on the expensive beautiful pictures we had done. So I would just ignore them. You can't make everyone happy so only worry about making yourself happy

AmyBeth
February 24th, 2014, 12:19 PM
You have awesome texture and waves! I think you're going to find that most of us around here will heartily approve! Come to us for encouragement if you need it. Crystal Gayle is an icon for a lot of us;). I know how it feels to be older than 25 years and have people think I should automatically cut my hair! Oh, well they'll just have to get used to disappointment. I second Spidermom's suggestion to wear it up. What they can't see won't inspire them to make hurtful comments. I sure hope they don't make such critical comments to random LHC members on the streets!

diddiedaisy
February 24th, 2014, 12:19 PM
Well I'm 44 and just starting to grow my hair!!! You've got lovely thick hair, it suits you. Take no notice.

harpgal
February 24th, 2014, 01:18 PM
...When you're going to be around them, wear a nice up-do. What they can't see hopefully won't inspire criticism.
Yes, this is what I do and rarely do I hear a word. Your hair is beautiful, by the way.

**Vera**
February 24th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I went to visit my parents yesterday and as always, they both had something to say about my hair (yes, I am 44 years old :)). First my mother told me that it was too long and I needed to pull it back. Then my father told me that I needed to get the haircut I had about twelve years ago which was a total "mom" cut that I shall NEVER have again. My brother happened to stop by and said I looked like Crystal Gayle (which to all of them is not a compliment). What do you guys think? Does this look completely silly and I just don't know it? I hope you can see the pic. http://s785.photobucket.com/user/amahaitz/media/feb2014009_zpsc3c2aef8.jpg.html
I wish my hair look this silly when i am your age... Your hair are beautiful and what i can tell from the pic they look beautiful on YOU.

slynr
February 24th, 2014, 01:31 PM
Don't listen to them. Your hair texture and color are beautiful. You should have the hair you want and that makes you happy:)

Andeee
February 24th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Your hair is great! Thick and the colour is really nice! I wish I was brave enough to go grey--I am 5 years older than you and still dying my hip length hair.

My mom was always trying to change my style whether it was my hair or my clothes since I was in my early 20s. And don't you know--now 25 years later she sees how much of a trend setter I really was (haha!) so she no longer tries to change me!

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I honestly can't see anything wrong with your hair! Just ignore them, I think your hair is lovely but the important thing is are you happy with it?

This. ^^ It looks really pretty, such a nice color!

Weewah
February 24th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Your hair looks awesome! They don't know what they're talking about. I agree with the others that you should wear updos around them to save you the frustration from now on, since they obviously can't handle seeing your hair down. Too bad for them that they had to make you feel uncomfortable, now they're gonna miss out!

Oh and I looked up who Crystal Gayle is and I think she's very pretty, your family is just a bunch of smack talkers lol.

RapunzelKat
February 24th, 2014, 02:25 PM
Well I think your hair is beautiful, and suites you very well :D

There is a saying here on LHC: "I am not here to decorate your world." So if you love your hair, keep it!

As others have suggested, wearing a nice bun or updo might be a happy compromise when you're around your family, if you don't want to be hassled about it :) Also, wearing it up is great protection for the hair.

Madora
February 24th, 2014, 02:39 PM
You have every right to enjoy your hair at whatever length and style you prefer. Just because you reach a certain age is no excuse to haul out the shears.

embee
February 24th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Don't talk to them about hair, hair routines, or styles. Just wear it up and be done with it. Wearing it down around them is sorta "in their face".

Although perhaps it is better that they complain about your hair than any other thing - my parents would have found *something* to grumble about. ;)

Crumpet
February 24th, 2014, 02:50 PM
You have beautiful hair. Do what you like!

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2014, 03:06 PM
I agree you've beautiful hair and I agree you should wear it up so they can't criticize you.

heidi w.
February 24th, 2014, 03:24 PM
The problem is I can't really see your hair. What bit I can see is not from the top to the bottom, and it looks dull. I think if you're happy with it, then ignore the naysayers. But try to get more shine via oiling and/or conditioning. if you get a bit of shininess I think they'll be less uncomplimentary.
heidi w.

vanillabones
February 24th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I happen to LOVE your hair. Wanna switch? :laugh:

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 03:42 PM
The problem is I can't really see your hair. What bit I can see is not from the top to the bottom, and it looks dull. I think if you're happy with it, then ignore the naysayers. But try to get more shine via oiling and/or conditioning. if you get a bit of shininess I think they'll be less uncomplimentary.
heidi w.

Wow, that's not very nice. And where do you see the dullness? I certainly don't see it!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 24th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I think your hair is beautiful, thick and a pretty colour. I would agree that it could be best to wear it up when around your family. My family always criticise when they see mine loose but not if I wear it up. Wearing it up means they can't see how long it really is. Also a benefit of wearing it up is that it protects your ends. Oh and I am 48 and wanting Classic length hair.

You go girl - and GROW! You will find lots of support here! :)

fairylover46
February 24th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I will be 47 in May and my hair is an inch or so past BCL. I have gray streaks at the temples and some peppered throughout the rest. Age has nothing to do with hair length. You wear it the way you want to however it makes you happy. I agree with the other folks on here about just wearing it up when you are around them. They can't see how long it is, so don't have "ammunution" to supposedly use against you. And forgive me if I am overstepping or being too forward, but I think anyone who deliberately says negative things to others is not very nice and downright rude. They have no right to say things like that to you! I figure if somebody doesn't like my hair or how I look they can just look somewhere else and keep their opinion to themselves. You grow it as long as you want and I wish you all the best doing it!!

swearnsue
February 24th, 2014, 05:54 PM
My mother has always hated my hair no matter what I did to it. So I just clip it up with a Flexi-8 so she can't see how long it is.

She also doesn't like my weight, body style, clothes, husband, pets, to infinity. That is why I visit and talk to her as little as possible!

Just want to add that your hair is very pretty. I love the thickness and color. I don't think it is dull at all.

nadiya
February 24th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Your hair is very pretty and thick! You should ignore those comments.
It's your hair so you're the only one who has to decide how to wear your hair, I think you rock it =)

Chiquita Banana
February 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Looks good to me! Maybe wear it up when around them to get them off of your back about it? If you like it long, keep it long. Don't listen to what other people tell you - it's not their hair!!

Amahaitz
February 25th, 2014, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone! I knew coming here would make me feel better. I just needed some support from like-minded people. I love seeing your pics and reading here so much.

Avital88
February 25th, 2014, 09:23 AM
It's healthy and nice and on lhc we love that. :)) outsiders don't understand the beauty of it so I agree w leaving it like this and maybe just put it up around your family who is more into "done" hair

Stormynights
February 25th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Salt and pepper has always been my favorite color. Blondes can't have it. Mothers have a right to choose the length and style of their daughters hair when they have to wash and care for it. When you care for your own hair the style choice is yours.

CousinItt
February 25th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I think your hair is quite petty.

My family is very much like yours - they think long hair is unattractive, especially on someone old like me (I'm 40 :rolleyes:) To top it off, my hair is wurly, so I'm not only too old, I also look witchy ;)

As others have suggested to you, my solution is to wear very pretty updos. My mom loves them. They're her hair judgement kryptonite.

Micayla47
February 25th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Your hair looks beautiful and healthy. Actually, I'd like to see more pictures from other angles.

Amahaitz
February 25th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Here are a couple of other pictures with it somewhat "fixed" (as fixed as it gets for me)... Do these seem okay? Long, greying hair is very unusual where I live.

Chromis
February 25th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Your hair is a lovely colour and texture!

Family can sadly often be the harshest critics. I am guessing they would have found other put-downs if not for the hair. I avoid family (and others) that behave that way. I figure if they have nothing nice to say, then they clearly don't really want to see me anyhow!

alimc
February 25th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Us people who refuse to conform to what society thinks we should look like. How dare we?! Let them bump their gums, be proud of your hair, and as long as YOU love it that's the only thing that matters!! *shaking my pom poms for you*

momschicklets
February 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Goodness....I've been following this post and looking at your pictures and I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would say such things about your hair....it is seriously beautiful! Looks soft, shiny, feminine...just lovely! My only thought is that there is jealousy involved. Just the fact that you possess something somewhat rare, beautiful and a natural asset can bring out insecurities in others. Their hurtful comments only serve to project those insecurities. Of course you would never cut those locks to make them happy! Because then they'd just find something else to criticize you about. It's not really about your hair, you see. If *you* love your hair, just file their comments under "whatever!"

DweamGoiL
February 25th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Argh!!! Damn that 5 minute rule...I had a nice long reply and poof...it's gone now.

Basically, I agree with Chromis. Your family sounds overly critical and this has nothing to do with your beautiful hair, but it's about you needing to conform to society's expectations. All of us nearing the mid forties know that long flowing greying tresses are not looked upon kindly in the general population. It's the old repress any sexuality because you are just getting old mentality. The funny part is that the majority of seniors are amongst the horniest people around, and good for them!!!

On a personal note, I commend you for going entirely natural. I am 44 as well and I haven't had the fortitude to show off my grey. Instead, I mask it with henndigo. Don't get me wrong, I like it just fine, but deep down, I admire braver people like you ;)