PDA

View Full Version : young with white/grey hairs

tlover
February 24th, 2014, 11:13 AM
You younger people here with White/grey hairs how do you feel about you're white/grey hairs? (you can decide what younger is).

I'm 26 and I have noticed that I have started to get White hair the last years (since I started to get joint pain), they are not many I mostly find them in my S&D sessions. Normaly they don't stay long since I start to play with them and soon they are pulled out because of the playing (but it's an accident). I like my White hairs and I don't want to dye my hair to get rid of them.
How do you feel about your grey/White hairs (few or many, I don't care)

Sillage
February 24th, 2014, 11:20 AM
I started going white in middle school. If my hair was totally white, I'd go with it, but as it is now (maybe 60% white) I dye it.

sourgrl
February 24th, 2014, 11:44 AM
I'm embracing my white strands. Since taking better care of my hair they look better. Like natural tinsel!

ravenheather
February 24th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Not that young here, but I call them sparklies.

mamaherrera
February 24th, 2014, 01:07 PM
I started getting them at 28. I felt like it was just too soon. I'm still struggling to accept them, but now when I get a new one, I don't cry at least. I guess I wouldn't mind them, but the problem is that I see no one else my age that has them, and they're right in my temples and below, above my ear, and it bugs.

sachaa
February 24th, 2014, 01:39 PM
A friend of mine is only 15 and he already has white patches !

ebba
February 24th, 2014, 01:49 PM
I am not grey so my opinion is kind of irrelevant, but I love how Stacy London does her hair. She dyes all her hair dark but then has one large chunk of stark white hair. If you want to kind of embrace your colour I would suggest Indigo-ing your hair but leaving a chunk out that you let get grey so you can have the best of both worlds and it looks trendy and intentional.
http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o409/LainaPop_08/Stacy%20and%20Clinton/00061rch.jpg

furnival
February 24th, 2014, 02:07 PM
I used to want to go prematurely grey but my hair didn't oblige in time. I'm finally starting to sprout some proper white hairs and I'm pleased, but it's a bit late now! I always remember a girl that I met at a party years ago who had wonderful long, coarse grey hair though she was only in her twenties. She gave off so much confidence and looked so regal and sure of herself that I promised myself I would one day wear my grey hair with the same attitude.

Tifie
February 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
My husband is now 29 but he already has plenty of white hair. But evenly distrubuted. Don't know, when he exactly got the first white hairs, guess already in his beginning twenties. He doesn't like them but honestly? I don't care! I kind of like them, makes him special in my eyes

QMacrocarpa
February 24th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I was a little startled when I noticed my first grey hair, but I'm fine with my growing crop of them now (7-ish years later). I think the fact that haircoloring is so common makes those going grey early wonder "why is this happening to me, but not to any other young people?" But the reality is that the same thing likely is happening to many people you see, it's just masked by dye.

Amygirl8
February 24th, 2014, 03:01 PM
I have a friend right now who has been getting a lot of white/silver hairs. She's a little insecure about them (we're still only in high school) but my friends and I tell her that she can always dye her almost-black hair some funky colour and have cool streaks running through her hair.

NoRush
February 24th, 2014, 03:02 PM
26 as well here and I have quite a smattering on the top right side of my head and it's getting worse but I'll def be covering them soon, I'm thinking an amla gloss or hendigo gloss. I don't like the salt and pepper thing.

Salmonberry
February 24th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Found the first one at 23, but it had some good length on it. That means the first ones probably started growing when I was 21 or 22. I don't mind as they're not very noticeable in my blonde hair at this point. I guess I just have to wait and see how it looks in a few years.

1nuitblanche
February 24th, 2014, 03:09 PM
I have a few white hairs. So far, they are placed fairly randomly which makes them blend in nicely. If I feel that they start making me look old, I will get highlights to disguise them or dye my hair if I must. I like being natural and having long hair, but not at the expense of being treated differently based on my appearance.

FireFromWithin
February 24th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I have a few strands around the front of my hair. I'm only 21 but I'm quite blonde so it might just be normal colouring for me! I've never had much yellow in my hair so the pale strands have usually been a white or almost cream colour. (It's starting to get more yellow wierdly but it's also getting darker and I don't like it!) I'd love to have all white hair.

vanillabones
February 24th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I know a few girls at work that starting greying in their late teens and would have a streak if they didn't dye them. I LOVE them but I can't point them out without getting yelled at since they hate them :x but they're so sparkly and interesting. I wish I would go grey early but there are toddlers whose hair triumphs mine so I wonder if my hair will ever grow up.

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 03:56 PM
It usually takes a *long* time between discovering your first gray hair and there being lots of grays. I discovered my first few when I was in my early twenties. I'm now going to be 42, and there's a light sprinkling (veeery light) of white hairs all over, maybe 2%. So all in all. I'm not gray yet, I don't think, not when 98% of my hair still has color. I wouldn't be down about it, and I would stop playing with them (pulling them out) too. It's going to take *years*. Trust me on that!

maskedrose
February 24th, 2014, 03:59 PM
I honestly wouldn't mind one bit if I started seeing white hairs now, but I have a feeling that they won't show for a long time. When they do show up they'll just look like highlights in my honey blonde hair, which is fine by me :) I especially like how silver looks in dark hair, no matter what your age!

hairpleasegrow
February 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
i just started not dying, it's been 3 months. my greys and i are going through an awkward "getting to know each other phase". we will see how we do over the next 6 months or so. after that time i'll re evaluate. if i really dont like all the greys i'll dye them in august. i'm 37 and about 20 percent grey right now
;0

DragonFlyPie
February 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I've had a few whites/greys since i was a teenager. I'm 37 now. I have been hennaing for over a year now (maybe two even, i've lost track!) & I've decided to be adventurous & try to grow out my greys. It's been about a month since I've colored, so I definitely have a chunk of roots sprouting. My greys look exactly like Christmas Tree tinsel right now! It's so crazy to me. They look metallic & silver & shiny as heck! Still not sure how much grey I have, since i don't have a lot of roots yet, but I'm holding off on coloring indefinitely. We'll see what a couple more months bring.

I would LOVE to have hair like this... but I know I'm not that white/grey yet.
http://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t31/q77/s720x720/1487697_571828196230717_1858079738_o.jpg

lilliemer
February 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
I started getting them at 28. I felt like it was just too soon. I'm still struggling to accept them, but now when I get a new one, I don't cry at least. I guess I wouldn't mind them, but the problem is that I see no one else my age that has them, and they're right in my temples and below, above my ear, and it bugs.
The thing is, the majority of women dye their hair (75% in the US according to Clairol). So it is really hard to know what your contemporaries' actual hair color is. Probably most people have dyed to the point where they won't have any idea if/when they're actually going gray at all. I started to get grays in my mid 20s and felt the same way as you describe (particularly because one of my friends screamed, lunged at my head, and pulled a gray hair out!) but then i realized that I was the only person within about a 5 mile radius who wasn't coloring my hair. That helped me to stop caring as much, as I really didn't want to deal with all the chemicals and maintenance of dye. I am 35 now and not that much gray-er than I was when they started showing up about 7 or 8 years ago.

Aderyn
February 24th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I am 35 now and not that much gray-er than I was when they started showing up about 7 or 8 years ago.

This. I noticed my first gray/white hairs when I was ~16 years old and 4 years later, I have maybe a couple more white hairs. Graying is a process that usually takes decades, not going to wake up with a full head of white hair over night.

Only thing I'm kind of worried about is that my family tends to go gray on primarily one side of the head first and then the other half later, so I'm wondering how strange that'll look if I stick to my natural medium-dark brunette hair color (which I plan to). 'Till then, I'll happily welcome any rogue streaks that happen to come along.

Crumpet
February 24th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I think it looks gorgeous on younger people. A friend of mine has some amazing greys (lots of them) and she's in her early 30s. The boys love it too ;)

ArienEllariel
February 24th, 2014, 05:42 PM
I had one sparkly in my underlayer. I pulled it out to check if it really was grey. Yep. Haven't seen any since that one though!

ashke50
February 24th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I found a silver streak in my hair at 15, but that's kinda cheating since it turned out to be caused by a minor scalp infection. I still have the silver streak ( which I am very fond of ) though the infection is long gone.
More relevantly, my sister (mid twenties) and my husband (late twenties) both have a few sparklies, which I love, and they are a little more ambivalent towards.

I have one friend with really dark hair who started getting silver hairs in her mid twenties - she was thrilled, because she is very small and young looking, and it meant she finally stopped being IDed everywhere she went!

patienceneeded
February 24th, 2014, 06:50 PM
One of my brothers went completely grey at age 18. My other brother has been salt and pepper since about 23. My hair has only recently (last 2-3 years) started to come in silver/white. I am 36. I have no problem with it and will not dye my hair. I would love to have white or silver hair!

mamaherrera
February 24th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Well I don't have as good of genes as you all. in five years, I've gained about 40-45 white ones. Maybe if I stress less, things will calm down. Very true I think about the dyeing, everyone does it and maybe EVEN they don't know they have whites yet.

seaj
February 24th, 2014, 10:16 PM
I'm in my early 20's and I've certainly noticed more gray hairs recently. I think I have 6 total, not really in any pattern. Both of my parents have their grays evenly spread out. My father dyes his hair, but my mom stopped a few years back. She is often told that they look like highlights. I would much rather have it grow in as a streak because I don't really like the look of gray hair until it's at least a true salt and pepper. I have dyed my hair silver/gray in the past, and I would keep it that way forever if it wasn't so much upkeep. Gray hair is the result of hydrogen peroxide build up in the follicle, so if someone figured out to hasten the build up, I'd probably try it. Anderson Cooper, Kristen McMenamy, Ted Fu all have amazing hair, as do Jack Frost and Elsa from Frozen. Solid white/gray hair and streaks on young people are cool to me. Not into diffused grey hair until it's more than half gray.

Lyv
February 24th, 2014, 11:00 PM
I have a few now but I'm not sure how many since I just recently stopped coloring my hair. I noticed my first when I was probably 20 or 21 and was pretty upset about it but now I really like the ones I have and I kinda wish I'd get more lol. I suppose I'll see how many I have once my hair grows out more.

BlazingHeart
February 24th, 2014, 11:20 PM
I noticed my first grey hair when I was.. I want to say 17? Maybe 18. Anyhow, it's over a decade later (I'm 30) and I still only have a small handful of them. They show up one by one, not in clumps, and because of how variable my hair color is, they used to blend in almost perfectly. They blend much less now than they used to, as my autoimmune disease related hair loss seems to have taken out a lot more of my lighter hairs than my darker hairs.

Charybdis
February 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I found my first white hair at 21, although it had been growing for some time before that as it was quite long. I'm nearly 40 now and still have just a sprinkling, which is heavier around my temples and above my ears. They are quite visible in certain lights due to my pigmented hair being very dark, but it's not enough to change the overall look of my hair. My non-pigmented hairs have always been *extremely* resistant to conventional permanent dyes (i.e., anything which doesn't rely primarily on depositing pigment on the surface of the hair strand), so even when I was dying my hair I had a pretty good idea how much white hair I had - those strands would go back to being white shortly after I got my hair colored!

I don't mind my silver hairs, although it's possible I'll feel different when they've advanced enough to reduce the overall contrast between my skin and hair. If my eyebrows start going grey, I won't be so happy about that, though! I need the contrasting eyebrows to look like myself. But so far I've never seen a white hair in my eyebrows (knock on wood).

Ezusthold
February 25th, 2014, 12:20 AM
I've experienced first greys around 20, the temples went salt and pepper on my 27-28, now I have generous amount of greys everywhere, and the temples are more white now than coloured.
I'm dying my hair since 25 (now it's on henna). My eyebrows also lost their original colour, though not become salt and pepper but more like got an all around greyish shade. I colour them too.

My mom just started sporting the first whites, so it's completly my fathers's heritage :)

Feelings: I do like this type of greying on men, but I would never choose not to colour my hair and look like my grandma until I really hit that age :)
Btw greying is fun with henna: now I have nagural red higlights in my brownish red hair :) When I will reach so high amount of whites that the roots will look weird even few days after coloring then will switch to white and will use funny colors (like pink or purple strips) on them :)

tlover
February 25th, 2014, 12:22 AM
It usually takes a *long* time between discovering your first gray hair and there being lots of grays. I discovered my first few when I was in my early twenties. I'm now going to be 42, and there's a light sprinkling (veeery light) of white hairs all over, maybe 2%. So all in all. I'm not gray yet, I don't think, not when 98% of my hair still has color. I wouldn't be down about it, and I would stop playing with them (pulling them out) too. It's going to take *years*. Trust me on that!

I'm trying not to but they are so cool, the last one though I managed to leave alone so that one is somewhere near my templets in my hair (the same place where I have found my husband's first gray, were graing together :D ).
It must be on my fathers side on the family, I met my mother yesterday and she hardly have any gray and she's 53, my father on the other hand was quite salt and peppery when he died (47) (or it's becouse of my joint ace)

restless
February 25th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I found my first one when I was 25 but it had probably been growing for quite some time already as it was a couple of inches long. Since then Ive found several more sparklies, especially on the left side of my head for some reason. I dont mind them at all- fact is I think theyre rather pretty, like tiny silver threads in my othervise brown hair. Natural high lights :D

Before I came on LHC I didnt really pay much attention to peoples hair and the thought of young people going grey didnt even struck me. Then I saw some poll here and it turned out that the majority found their first greys in their 20īs or something. Indeed- if I look at my friends IRL (most are between 20-30 years old), many people do wear a few sparklies here and there and others have admitted that they dye their hair to hide them when the subject has been brought up for one reason or another.

Teufelchen
February 25th, 2014, 04:30 AM
I got my first grey at age 14 and dyed my hair ever since. I am about 20% grey now at age 28 and I am still dyeing. I switched to henna and indigo, but apart from that I am not happy with the grey yet. I really like the look with one grey/white streak and would wear it, but my whites are scattered all over.