PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful hair description you've ever read?

threadOfGold
February 24th, 2014, 09:59 AM
so it's been about two weeks since I ditched my bad hair habits and I'm loving it! I'm really seeing a progress in growth and it's really rewarding trying to find decent ways to style my hair without using heat.
i noticed a lot of women and men on here look to art or literature for hair inspiration- what is your favourite description of hair you've ever read in a novel? That's made you think 'Ooooh- I want that!'

I have many but one I remember reading when I was at primary school that stuck with me:
'her hair hung round her face like a golden mist'

Elle x
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-L0cZ9lkXh1s/UuT6H1Y6keI/AAAAAAAAB_Y/TYO-AZYDk_k/s1600/even+the+hair+is+being+tied+back.jpg

OrangeStripe
February 24th, 2014, 11:45 AM
I can't think of any that have stuck with me particularly, but I always get a little annoyed when hair is described as 'curtains' for some reason. Maybe it is because my hair isn't smooth and straight or anything remotely resembling a curtain :shrug:

RegretsHerCut
February 24th, 2014, 12:18 PM
The quote in my signature is one of my favourite about hair. The other ones I can think of are in French and I'm too lazy to translate them now lol !

AmyBeth
February 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Probably Tennyson's the Highwayman
"But she loosened her hair i' the casement!
His face burnt like a brand
As the black cascade of perfume came tumbling over his breast
And he kissed it's waves in the moonlight
(Oh, sweet, black waves in the moonlight!)...

spidermom
February 24th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I love the imagery in this poem by Li-Young (or something like that):

While the long grain is softening
in the water; gurgling
over a low stove flame, before
the salted Winter Vegetable is sliced
for breakfast, before the birds,
my mother glides an ivory comb
through her hair, heavy
and black as calligrapher's ink.

She sits at the foot of the bed.
My father watches, listens for
the music of comb
against hair.

My mother combs, pulls her hair back
tight, rolls it
around two fingers, pins it
in a bun to the back of her head.
For half a hundred years she has done this.
My father likes to see it like this.
He says it is kempt.

But I know
it is because of the way
my mother's hair falls
when he pulls the pins out.
Easily, like the curtains
when they untie them in the evening

Sorry about the curtains, OrangeStripe. My hair isn't very curtain-like, either. Hairy cloak might work.

rosaacicularis
February 24th, 2014, 01:10 PM
This particular head of hair has to be sebumy to stay in a bun at all, and that type of hair does not fall easily like curtains. :P Many of the lovely hair descriptions I've heard are permanent snapshots of a rare beauty that my hair only achieves sometimes, so it's kind of a downer. How about something like, "She had hair, it was beautiful to me because it was hers.". Something like that most of us can live up to!

harpgal
February 24th, 2014, 01:14 PM
She Walks in Beauty (http://www.vanyamelda.com/poetry/she_walks_in_beauty.html)

**Vera**
February 24th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I can't think of any that have stuck with me particularly, but I always get a little annoyed when hair is described as 'curtains' for some reason. Maybe it is because my hair isn't smooth and straight or anything remotely resembling a curtain :shrug:
My hair were like curtain and let me tell you there is nothing swoon worthy about it at least to me... i much prefer and love the waves i have in my shorter layered hair then that lanky black cape i used to have

Wisé
February 24th, 2014, 03:00 PM
In some old fairytale books I read, hair is sometimes described in awesome ways. I notably remember one version of the six swans, where the prince discovers the mute heroine sitting in a tree naked but still covered, for her long golden hair lies around her like a silken mantle (the original phrasing was more beautiful, but I really can't recall).
That image still holds a spell to me to this very day, although now I know my hair will never be voluminous enough produce the image of a mantle or something along that lines.

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Haha, that reminds me of my 2nd grade year, where the teacher came in and pushed one of my pigtails back because she couldn't see what I was writing, and she said exactly that, that I should not hide behind my "curtains". I was shy as a child. Could outperform anyone, but didn't want to be the center of attention.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
Just a description in the book I am currently reading: "She had the longest hair I had ever seen, jet black and almost down to her waist."

Don't think he has visited TLHC....

fairylover46
February 24th, 2014, 05:32 PM
In one of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories, he describes a beautiful woman who has long black loose curls. He called it "hyacinthine hair" because it reminded him of the hyacinth flower. (He describes it way better than I just did here.) Whenever I see a woman with that kind of hair (which seems to be very uncommon) I always think "hyacinthine hair!!" I seem to always be on the lookout for that type of hair, even though I read the story when I was 17. (Creeping up on 47 now) I even named a black wavy haired cat I had after the woman in the story, Ligeia.

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 05:34 PM
In one of Edgar Allen Poe's short stories, he describes a beautiful woman who has long black loose curls. He called it "hyacinthine hair" because it reminded him of the hyacinth flower. (He describes it way better than I just did here.) Whenever I see a woman with that kind of hair (which seems to be very uncommon) I always think "hyacinthine hair!!" I seem to always be on the lookout for that type of hair, even though I read the story when I was 17. (Creeping up on 47 now) I even named a black wavy haired cat I had after the woman in the story, Ligeia.

Hyacinthine hair? Why does that remind me of Marie Antoinette? :confused: :D

rachelbethany
February 24th, 2014, 06:37 PM
The quote I love isn't so much a "beautiful description of hair," but it mentions hair and is part of a story that I do find very beautiful-- Little Women:

"Really, girls, you are both to be blamed," said Meg, beginning to lecture in her elder-sisterly fashion."You are old enough to leave off boyish tricks, and to behave better, Josephine. It didn't matter so much when you were a little girl, but now you are so tall, and turn up your hair, you should remember that you are a young lady."

"I'm not! And if turning up my hair makes me one, I'll wear it in two tails till I'm twenty," cried Jo, pulling off her net, and shaking down a chestnut mane.

I love any reference to hair made in that book, but I especially like the symbol Jo's hair is for her. The "your one beauty!" scene, and then her growing her hair back out, all taking place within such a charming time period and environment, just really make me long for the "good ole days" when hair was looked at much differently. Then again, it's also cool that women have more rights now, and people like Jo aren't laughed at for short haircuts or scolded for "boyish tricks." :D

CurlyCap
February 24th, 2014, 11:45 PM
"The Sari, it is said, was born on the loom of a fanciful weaver. He dreamt of Woman. The shimmer of her tears. The drapes of her tumbling hair. The colors of her many moods. The softness of her touch. All these he wove together. He couldn't stop. He wove for many yards. And when he was done... the story goes, he sat back and smiled and smiled and smiled."

0xalis
February 28th, 2014, 01:19 AM
Not *the most* beautiful description I've ever heard, but this one stuck with me for a long time for some reason.

(Excerpt from Criss Cross by Lynne Rae Perkins)
"They both had auburn hair, but while Rowanne's auburn hair plummeted in a serene, graceful waterfall to her waist, Hector's shot out from his head in wiry, dissenting clumps."

Sometimes I'll get a book, start it, but then leave it for years. That excerpt was in the 2nd chapter, so I'd read it in the first attempt at the book. Describing the hair like a waterfall was just such nice imagery, so it stuck in my brain. I guess it's also because it reminded me of my childhood hair that I missed (and still miss) so much.