PDA

View Full Version : Bang Troubles

queenofheartz44
February 24th, 2014, 08:57 AM
So the other night I finally got up the nerve to cut the fringe bangs I've been thinking about doing for some time now. I was so excited with them and loved how they looked. That is until the next morning, my fiance's mother said it looked like I had on a wig. Then this morning told me that the cut does not suit me and that it's not a good look. I was so excited about having bangs and my fiance loved them too but now I feel incredibly foolish and self conscious bout them. I've always been very sensitive to the things she says to or about me because unfortunately she is the closest thing I have to a mother as my own left me with my father because she didn't want me and mommy 2.0 ended up being a drunk. Needless to say, I have mommy issues. Sorry this is so glum, but her comments about my hair really hurt my feelings, and I don't want to tell my fiance that it was his mother that said them as it will just create even more tension between us. Am I just too sensitive??

Here's the bangs I was so excited about.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2zhdxd1.jpg

Micayla47
February 24th, 2014, 09:04 AM
You're beautiful either way and it doesn't look at all like a wig. I know this is easier said than done, but I'm telling you this from years and years of experience, don't take her comments personally. It's just her opinion/taste about hair. I'm sure she still loves you and she probably thinks she's "helping" you by giving you her opinion. :grouphug:

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I like your bangs and your hair doesn't look like a wig. I wonder if she's jealous because you did something new to your hair.

JessicaAnn
February 24th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Your hair is lovely. I like it both ways. The bangs give it a fun, youthful look. I don't know how into makeup you are, but I think you would look just stunning with some heavy eyeliner and thick, curled eyelashes peeking out from under that fringe. (Not that you aren't stunning anyway, I'm just thinking of fun things to do) I think the bangs also highlight your high cheekbones quite well. I used to do hair and makeup for theatre, film, and print; I love when people play with their looks! You look great, don't let anyone dull your sparkle!

spidermom
February 24th, 2014, 09:55 AM
I think bangs suit you just fine. I also liked your look with no bangs. Try styling your bangs off to the side when you're going to be seeing your fiance's mother; maybe she'll like that better.

pogo0685
February 24th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I love them! I have been wanting to cut bangs in for quite a while but I'm scared they would look bad. I love how yours look though, maybe I will do mine soon :-).

Stiria
February 24th, 2014, 11:01 AM
You look gorgeous, with or without bangs! Don't let her comments get to you. Many mothers/mothers in laws can be very critical when it comes to hair or dress or this or that. When I had bangs a few years ago my mother told me it looked awful. Everybody else told me it looked great:rolleyes: She is probably just trying to help. But it is your hair, do what makes you happy.

Stormynights
February 24th, 2014, 11:05 AM
I love the bangs on you.

Fairlight63
February 24th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Your bangs looks really good on you! Don't let what your mother-in-law thinks keep you from doing what you like, it is your hair after all! It is just her opinion of bangs. Some people like bangs, some don't, sounds like she does not. So when I was going to be around her I would comb them to the side or pin them out of my face, if you want to not draw attention to your bangs.

I also noticed in the one picture with bangs you don't have on glasses & without bangs you have on glasses. Maybe your mother-in-law thinks that with the bangs & the glasses on it is too much covering up your beautiful face.

AmyBeth
February 24th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Oh, I'm sorry your feelings are hurt! Your face looks beautiful either way! The trouble is definitely NOT with your bangs. I hope your future MIL was only expressing her opinion and not trying to hurt you. If you like them, enjoy them! You can wear them straight, or sweep them to the side, or slick them up into your hair when you wear it up. You can do what you like with them! I know his mom is important to you, but after all, you're marrying the fiancé, not his mom, and he loves them! That's more important!:grouphug:

queenofheartz44
February 24th, 2014, 01:56 PM
I like your bangs and your hair doesn't look like a wig. I wonder if she's jealous because you did something new to your hair.
It's possible, she's a very negative person in general. She does the rude eye rolls and muttering under her breath over half the time I talk to her. Oh and her barely shoulder length hair is permed and bleached regularly. I'm no hair Saint as I relax it every 12-14 weeks and now flat iron it once every three weeks but damn! She also gives those cold "that's what you're wearing?" looks whenever I do a skirt top combo that is not the standard plain tee shirt.

queenofheartz44
February 24th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I think bangs suit you just fine. I also liked your look with no bangs. Try styling your bangs off to the side when you're going to be seeing your fiance's mother; maybe she'll like that better.

I wish I could, unfortunately, we all live together right now while we finish college. Thank you though!

queenofheartz44
February 24th, 2014, 02:05 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Your hair is lovely. I like it both ways. The bangs give it a fun, youthful look. I don't know how into makeup you are, but I think you would look just stunning with some heavy eyeliner and thick, curled eyelashes peeking out from under that fringe. (Not that you aren't stunning anyway, I'm just thinking of fun things to do) I think the bangs also highlight your high cheekbones quite well. I used to do hair and makeup for theatre, film, and print; I love when people play with their looks! You look great, don't let anyone dull your sparkle!
Haha! Funny you should mention eye makeup. I have 348 eyeshadow between 4 pallettes in regular circulation. For eyeliner, I take my liner brush, wet it then pick a corner from the eyeshadows. So I've also got 348 liners, excluding the colors you get when you mix shadows... I. Love. Eye. Makeup. :laugh:

queenofheartz44
February 24th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Thank you so so much for all of your kind words. Coming from all the long haired beauties here, it really means a lot. I'm working on not letting her venom bother me. I talked to my bestie this morning who in many ways pulls double duty as a big sister and she was furious about it, lol. I think all of the supportive ammo I have gotten will really help deal with her.

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2014, 03:18 PM
It's possible, she's a very negative person in general. She does the rude eye rolls and muttering under her breath over half the time I talk to her. Oh and her barely shoulder length hair is permed and bleached regularly. I'm no hair Saint as I relax it every 12-14 weeks and now flat iron it once every three weeks but damn! She also gives those cold "that's what you're wearing?" looks whenever I do a skirt top combo that is not the standard plain tee shirt.

There is your answer she's negative and hates changes. Mostly youthful changes like bangs and things along that line. She's not happy unless she's controlling others. She's too jealous of others because they like changes.

vanillabones
February 24th, 2014, 03:44 PM
I really like them on you and think they suit you. I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it. Please don't regret it and they look long enough to be 'side swept' too and I think that would also be a good look for you I like them and if someone said my hair looked like a wig I'd take that as a compliment :D

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I like it either way. Her comments were way too harsh. I do like it a *little* more without the bangs though. Looks more natural, and I bet it's more versatile too.

tigerlily.
February 24th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I don't understand why she say that when they look so nice! Did you cut them yourself? If you did how did you do it? They look really nice with the bottom layers of your hair that curl around your face, I think it suits you.

teenerz
February 24th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I think they look awesome and suit you really well!

hairpleasegrow
February 24th, 2014, 04:45 PM
your mother in law is out of line. sounds like she's jealous of you!!! she doesnt want you and her son to be happy so shes trying to bring you dow. your bangs look great!! its all about confidence anyways.

tell her "don't hate MIL. i disagree i think they look hot, you son isnt complaining either!"

queenofheartz44
February 24th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I don't understand why she say that when they look so nice! Did you cut them yourself? If you did how did you do it? They look really nice with the bottom layers of your hair that curl around your face, I think it suits you.

Yes I did them myself, I used this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECkWlCUtJhs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

HazelBug
February 24th, 2014, 10:09 PM
It looks cute to me! And sorry your mom was not so good to you. Mine was a meth addict who died when I was a teen. She would go on and on about how important her kids were. But her actions proved otherwise.

ErinLeigh
February 24th, 2014, 10:56 PM

OMG i was just typing that word for word.
----------------------------------------------

I am sure its not personal. Some older people are just very big on "hair off the face." They aren't subtle about it either.

OP by the way, you have beautiful hair. Bangs or no bangs your hair is gorgeous. I was admiring it last night and am sorry you cannot enjoy the new look now without the taint of the wig comment. It does not look like a wig so keep rocking it for now, but side swept or pinned for MIL would most likely stop the comments which will help your self esteem right now. I wish people know how much words can stick with us.

EDIT..you did a super job cutting also :) I am watching the video now. Thanks for the link. If I show up with bangs tomorrow its your link that did it ! lol

shutterpillar
February 25th, 2014, 05:31 AM
From what you've written about her, It sounds like your (to be) mother in law is just the type of person that will not be happy no matter what you do, so I say you should enjoy your hair how you like it and not let her rude comments get to you. If you're going to marry this person, then you'll have to grow some thick skin because you'll be dealing with the criticism from her for as long as you are married. I feel your pain though, I've been there. Hell, I'm STILL there. I care about my mother in law because she is my family now, but I've found I care less about what she thinks of me now almost nine years later than I did when my husband and I first got married. I let the backhanded compliments roll off my shoulders now.

Enjoy your new bangs that you love so much, and let her sit to stew in her negativity.

Mustang Suzy
February 25th, 2014, 06:00 AM
Your new bangs give you a youthful glow! Both photos are pretty so how you wear your hair is up to you.

LongCurlyTress
February 26th, 2014, 05:32 PM
When I had bangs, I would pull up the sides and top into a half pony, leaving the bangs down on my forehead with the top a bit poofed out (think Snooky) then straighten the bottom half that isn't in the half updo pony. Also, maybe put a bit of a curve into your bangs with the hair straightener... Have fun with some new looks! bangs are great for that inbetweenstage before your bottom length gets to bsl. I think you look really pretty with bangs! Have fun with them! Don't worry about what other's say. It's your hair, for goodness sake and your fiance likes how you look with them! I think Mom in Law's are the cruelest... I know because I have one... hang inthere!

https://www.google.com/search?q=snooky&tbm=isch&imgil=lg2NQAxfxRbTBM%253A%253Bhttps%253A%252F%252F encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com%252Fimages%253Fq%253Dtbn%253AANd9 GcSKEpvu_e21NjF0PnLzUeu18NSEdpBTFooLBaKaNlIEYz3kbR 4k%253B980%253B1505%253BTsPtL8zBvNrS9M%253Bhttp%25 253A%25252F%25252Fwww.diariofemenino.com%25252Foci o%25252Fmusica%25252Fgalerias%25252Falfombra-roja-grammy-2011%25252Fnicole-snooky-polizzi-grammy%25252F&source=iu&usg=___k-21f5nv0Uey6ZzPUcVwuOu2UQ%3D&sa=X&ei=i4gOU5nqC9GJogS8hoGACQ&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBQ&biw=1262&bih=548#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=lg2NQAxfxRbTBM%253A%3BTsPtL8zBvNrS9M%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fwww.diariofemenino.com%252Fimages%25 2Fgaleria%252F14000%252F14760_nicole-snooky-polizzi-en-los-grammy-2011.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.diariofemenino.c om%252Focio%252Fmusica%252Fgalerias%252Falfombra-roja-grammy-2011%252Fnicole-snooky-polizzi-grammy%252F%3B980%3B1505