PDA

View Full Version : best ways to fight frizz

ErinLeigh
February 24th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Does anyone want to share their favorite methods or ingredients to beat frizz? With summer coming I am in for quite the poof.
I think cones would be best but if anyone knows ways to do it cone free I would love to hear it. Or if you have coney products that seem to work well I am open to that also.

products
oils
mister bottle creations

What is you best anti frizz tip?

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2014, 07:00 AM
I like argan oil in my mister for frizz. The brand I use is one n only I use the oil treatment.

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Does anyone want to share their favorite methods or ingredients to beat frizz? With summer coming I am in for quite the poof.
I think cones would be best but if anyone knows ways to do it cone free I would love to hear it. Or if you have coney products that seem to work well I am open to that also.

products
oils
mister bottle creations

What is you best anti frizz tip?

The LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167). Period. ;)

Madora
February 24th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Mineral oil.

Link:http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2012/10/hair-and-build-up-and-moisture.html

diddiedaisy
February 24th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Have you stolen my hair ErinLeigh!!!

The only thing that gets rid of my frizz is Schwarzkopf got 2 be argon oil. It soaks right in after about five minutes and can be topped up throughout the day as required. No greasiness whatsoever.

The only negative about is it seems to encourage my natural wave I've developed, which I'll love when my hair gets longer. At the minute I'm halfway between collarbone and apl but the wave makes it sit just above my shoulder on a bad day. My hair looks shorter by the day grrrrr lol. By the way the roux conditioner I used today has made my wave even bigger. Cones must weigh them down.

ErinLeigh
February 24th, 2014, 09:32 AM
The LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167). Period. ;)

Do you have certain products that work best for it?

Madora I bought MO! :) now I have to try it.

ErinLeigh
February 24th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Have you stolen my hair ErinLeigh!!!

The only thing that gets rid of my frizz is Schwarzkopf got 2 be argon oil. It soaks right in after about five minutes and can be topped up throughout the day as required. No greasiness whatsoever.

The only negative about is it seems to encourage my natural wave I've developed, which I'll love when my hair gets longer. At the minute I'm halfway between collarbone and apl but the wave makes it sit just above my shoulder on a bad day. My hair looks shorter by the day grrrrr lol. By the way the roux conditioner I used today has made my wave even bigger. Cones must weigh them down.

My hair does the same thing. It just fluffs up to shoulder. I need my hair smoothed down at this length. Especially with the layers. I'm going to use the Roux once a week and keep at it but may stick a cone leave in on top of it. Or MO. I'm intrigued by it since I haven't tried it. I am eager to see the difference in that and cones.

sourgrl
February 24th, 2014, 10:21 AM
For me, it's avoiding humectants, especially glycerin. Cones help too, but for me, avoiding humectants is what did the trick.

Hele
February 24th, 2014, 10:29 AM
I also recommend mineral oil, it's a miracle product for my poofy prone hair. My hair loves oil but it only helps so much and my hair doesn't like cones. I hadn't used mineral oil for a year because I wanted to try something more natural but when I retried it this winter...wow. It put a stop to static, made my coarse hair feel softer, and helped stop my winter split end factory (as you can see I'm a fan). Just remember a little can go a long way if you try it.

ExpectoPatronum
February 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM
For me, it was finding the routine that worked. My hair still gets frizzy immediately after I shower, but the following days until after I wash again, I'm frizz free.

From my routine, ACV rinses and Nightblooming's Panacea has helped the most. Before that, I would mist my hair with water and seal with an oil every single day. I don't have to do that anymore and it's really nice!

diddiedaisy
February 24th, 2014, 12:10 PM
My hair does the same thing. It just fluffs up to shoulder. I need my hair smoothed down at this length. Especially with the layers. I'm going to use the Roux once a week and keep at it but may stick a cone leave in on top of it. Or MO. I'm intrigued by it since I haven't tried it. I am eager to see the difference in that and cones.

Am I right in thinking your hair used to be longer? If so what length did it stop bounging up? I really want my inches to show, it's very demoralising to not see your growth because it's all of a sudden decided to be wavy lol

Wisé
February 24th, 2014, 03:53 PM
Once some frizz formed on my head, I can't use oil for frizz control because the short hairs will clump together, but still stick out which looks even worse. What worked for me was to wet my hands, take a bit conditioner, insert my separated fingers between the strands and just grab the hair where it frizzes to get the conditioner on it (if you have straight hair anyway, I guess you could just smooth it over, I only grab to not crash my curls) and repeat until all frizz is tamed.

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Do you have certain products that work best for it?

Well, we use a leave-in (Pantene Naturefusion), then a gel (Eco Styler, olive oil one), then a serum (either Chi Silk Infusion or IC Fantasia). My hair is always soft, but it's washed with the WCC method as well (conditioning twice after washing) and it's with coney conditioners. All of my products contain cones, except the gel (which is also alcohol-free: a must).

nadiya
February 24th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Argan oil is a lifesaver.

Firefox7275
February 24th, 2014, 09:03 PM
Frizz is either damage or hidden wave or both: it's not an issue in straight healthy hair. Solution is to embrace the wave and/ or stop damaging hair. My top tip is to stop fighting your natural beauty (nope I don't take my own advice colour wise!!).

Your hair properties, especially porosity, should guide what temporary fixes you use. Spritzing wavy or curly blown out hair will lead to reversion. Spritzing porous hair will likely lead to pouf. In all seriousness your best bet is a flat iron and a whole lot of occlusives (silicones, natural oils, butters, waxes).

Many wavies and curlies don't find even heavy silicone build up resolves frizz in hair worn wavy/ curly, hence the popularity of the Curlyl Girl method. Check out Scott Musgrave's Facebook page for before and after shots of his 'detox from plastics' (product build up).

SouthernSweetie
February 24th, 2014, 09:37 PM
Where do I buy mineral oil? Is the stuff at the drug store that's used for a laxative/lubricant the same stuff you put on your hair? That's all I could find. (Sorry if it's a stupid question)

ErinLeigh
February 24th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Am I right in thinking your hair used to be longer? If so what length did it stop bounging up? I really want my inches to show, it's very demoralising to not see your growth because it's all of a sudden decided to be wavy lol

Not sure. I got a keratin treatment and that solved any poofing up when I got to shoulder. I cheated :)
I think cones will be your friend. They seem to pull the wave down the best.

Personally though, I think the shorter layers have to make it past CBL to stop flipping with a regular layering cut.
I worry that wont happen for me as my hair has the stupidest cut now. I don't know how it was even possible to do this with scissors but somehow it looks razor sliced. And sliced to point upwards! From ears down every little hair is at a different length. If I run my fingers a section of length there are little hairs just popping up and pointing upwards. I hate it. Takes away all shine and make my hair look so much shorter. Chin length bobs have more substantial appearance than my hair. I saw a SL bob yesterday and thought "I cant wait until my hair is that long." Meanwhile I am technically inches longer! Layers ruin any appearance of length. I have to post a pic because it is as bad as it sounds. They are super fine and individual. It will take me a full year to stop flipping and that will be by cutting most of it off :/

Sorry for going off tangent. I hate my haircut that much. Doing the put up and try to forget about t but I cannot forget.

Madora
February 24th, 2014, 11:02 PM
Where do I buy mineral oil? Is the stuff at the drug store that's used for a laxative/lubricant the same stuff you put on your hair? That's all I could find. (Sorry if it's a stupid question)

You can buy mineral oil in the baby section of Target or Walgreen's. The MO I use is made by Johnson and Johnson and contains only MO and scent..no other additives.

You use it very sparingly.

SouthernSweetie
February 25th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Oh okay!! Thanks!

clioariane
February 26th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Cones indeed. I like Moroccanoil and Organix Brazilian Keratin Anti-Breakage Serum (both smell amazing). Just pure argan oil would do the trick too I think.

Arwenlily
February 26th, 2014, 03:10 PM
Where do you all think is the best place to buy argan oil?

jeanniet
February 26th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Mountain Rose Herbs has good quality argan oil, and Amazon has it as well. Just make sure that it's pure argan oil if that's what you want. Many products labeled "argan oil" are mostly cones and have very little oil--fine if you want cones, but not so fine if you want pure oil.

Arwenlily
February 26th, 2014, 03:32 PM
Mountain Rose Herbs has good quality argan oil, and Amazon has it as well. Just make sure that it's pure argan oil if that's what you want. Many products labeled "argan oil" are mostly cones and have very little oil--fine if you want cones, but not so fine if you want pure oil.

maskedrose
February 26th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Avocado oil has been the only thing that has beaten frizz for me. It absorbs beautifully, and softens and smooths my hair.

Ambystoma
February 26th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I find that drying technique and later styling have the most impact for me, since my frizz comes from the shorter/newer hairs wanting to be wavier than the heavier lengths. I airdry by twisting the hair into one giant ringlet that I lay over my shoulder (this is a modification of CurlyCap's wonderful drying method http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=100736) and also find that doobie wrapping and setting on large diameter rollers using a spritz bottle to dampen the hair as I set it (I have rosewater in mine) both give lovely sleek styles since it forces the little hairs to lie in the same direction as all the rest, but they also leave you with lots of bounce and body.

MissBubble
February 26th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I use coconut oil, especially after washing when my hair gets frizz crazy. It stops it and it is a good styling product, too.

clioariane
February 27th, 2014, 03:46 AM
Where do you all think is the best place to buy argan oil?
Local health food store is my best guess! I just got a 100ml bottle of 100% pure argan oil for 12,99 euros (it was on sale), which is a fraction of what some bigger brands (Josie Maran for example is $48 for only 50ml) cost.

ErinLeigh
February 27th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I use coconut oil, especially after washing when my hair gets frizz crazy. It stops it and it is a good styling product, too.

Im finding it works great too. Just trying to balance my heavy handedness so it looks ok. I think one fingernail scrape should do it.

SouthernSweetie
March 1st, 2014, 10:38 AM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but why is it that when I put mineral oil on my hair, it made it feel awesome, until I got in the shower the next day? Putting water on it again tangled it soooo badly until I put conditioner on it. Now it feels normal again? It was just weird how putting water on it made it freak out until I guess I put something on it so wash some of it off or something? Any idea?

ErinLeigh
March 1st, 2014, 01:18 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but why is it that when I put mineral oil on my hair, it made it feel awesome, until I got in the shower the next day? Putting water on it again tangled it soooo badly until I put conditioner on it. Now it feels normal again? It was just weird how putting water on it made it freak out until I guess I put something on it so wash some of it off or something? Any idea?

Did you condition hair before applying the MO? Just wondering if you didn't when it rinsed off you were left with deactivated shampoo hair that tangles easier? If you did condition first in stumped. I will test it out this week and see if it happens to me. Maybe MO has a cumulative effect? Maybe it works to improve hair over time considering it locks in moisture. Maybe that tangly thing happens less and less as hair gets more moisturized? I don't know. Taking stabs in the dark.

What at did you use to remove the MO by the way? Does conditioner alone work?

Cania
March 1st, 2014, 02:18 PM
I'm just going to leave this recipe here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277) :)

SouthernSweetie
March 1st, 2014, 03:31 PM
Before I applied mineral oil I shampooed my roots only, then conditioned. I half way dried my hair with my blow dryer on cool, then applied the oil. I left it on all day and it felt great, but as soon as I put water on it in the shower, it's like it turned to straw. I barely shampooed my roots and rinsed(MO was only on halfway down the length), and before I put conditioner on my hair it felt like I had seriously replaced my hair with straw on the ends. I didn't shampoo the ends at all. As soon as I put conditioner on the ends its like they smoothed out and felt like real hair again. I just wanna make sure it has no negative effect before I go putting it on my hair 24/7. It's Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil with Aloe and Vitamin E.(AKA Mineral Oil with Aloe and Vitamin E).