PDA

View Full Version : Is it easier to grow long hair when your short?

susieq998
February 23rd, 2014, 10:17 PM
Like if someone who is 5'2 and another being 5'8 would the shorter person reach what appears to be longer hair sooner? Or does it not really make enough difference to be able to tell?

Islandgrrl
February 23rd, 2014, 10:23 PM
The hair might grow at exactly the same rate, but it might appear shorter on a tall person. For instance, my sister is 5' tall. I am 5'9" tall. My mid thigh length hair would be a couple inches below knee length (upper calf) on her.

It's not easier to grow long hair if you're short, but assuming an average growth rate, you'll hit anatomical markers sooner than a tall person with the same growth rate.

ositarosita
February 23rd, 2014, 11:39 PM
The hair might grow at exactly the same rate, but it might appear shorter on a tall person. For instance, my sister is 5' tall. I am 5'9" tall. My mid thigh length hair would be a couple inches below knee length (upper calf) on her.

It's not easier to grow long hair if you're short, but assuming an average growth rate, you'll hit anatomical markers sooner than a tall person with the same growth rate.

EXACTLY couldn't have said it better myself :)

momschicklets
February 24th, 2014, 06:08 AM
LOL I kind of worry about this since I'm nearly 6 feet tall....and my neck is sorta long. :p

PrincessIdril
February 24th, 2014, 06:24 AM
I don't think it is easier (how easy something is, is all relative!) but it would probably appear to grow faster? And only because the usual milestones are closer together, depending on your body proportions.

I'm 5'9-10 with a long neck/torso and my hair brushing waist (though the curls make it hard to figure out where exactly!). Now a couple of years ago I measured my hair using the LHC method and it came out around 33 inches and that was between waist and BSL? Now my best friend is quite a bit shorter than me (at least 6 inches) and at the time her hair measured 27 inches which was past her waist and on the way to hip!

ArienEllariel
February 24th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Nope. Now, people will hit milestones at different rates but I've got a long torso and ridiculously short legs so for me, I feel like I take a long time to get to waist. Dunno about after that.

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 07:24 AM
Nope. Now, people will hit milestones at different rates but I've got a long torso and ridiculously short legs so for me, I feel like I take a long time to get to waist. Dunno about after that.

It all depends on your proportions. I'm 5'7" but I have a very short torso and very long legs. I reach milestones quicker than most. At least when my hair's still on my torso, and not beyond. ;)

veryhairyfairy
February 24th, 2014, 07:52 AM
I'm short (5'2"), and I agree with Islandgrrl. The taller you are, the longer the strands need to be to reach visual markers.

I'm not sure about 'easier', because I've never had a taller person's experience, but I think I can say that it is a 'shorter' (hehe) journey than it might otherwise be.

It all depends on your proportions. I'm 5'7" but I have a very short torso and very long legs. I reach milestones quicker than most. At least when my hair's still on my torso, and not beyond. ;)

I love hearing about people's different proportions. I'm 7 inches shorter than my SO, but all of the difference is in his legs! I just measured my inseam, and it looks like the midway point on my body is right in the middle of my rear. I guess that means that visually I'll make similar progress on the way down my legs. :)

(BTW, this is so weird, but does anyone else's bellybutton line up perfectly with the top of the illiac crest/hip bone? I feel like I must be shaped so oddly!)

Muñequita
February 24th, 2014, 07:52 PM
I will just repeat what everyone else is saying.You can reach milestones a lot faster than a tall person.Which is good for me since I am only 4'10. Since my sister is taller than me,her hair used to (Until she cut it above her ears :thud: )reach her mid-calf,if my hair was the same length it would probably been to my ankles. :D

HazelBug
February 24th, 2014, 10:05 PM
Sort of. I'm 5'4". But my height is in my legs and neck. It seemed to take forever to go from chin to shoulder. But I'm short waisted, so getting to waist takes fewer inches for me than some others. If tailbone length is your goal for instance, if you are smaller, you will need less length for your hair to look as long as you want it to. If you are taller you need more length to get to goal. So it might take longer.

divinedobbie
February 24th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I love hearing about people's different proportions. I'm 7 inches shorter than my SO, but all of the difference is in his legs! I just measured my inseam, and it looks like the midway point on my body is right in the middle of my rear. I guess that means that visually I'll make similar progress on the way down my legs. :)

(BTW, this is so weird, but does anyone else's bellybutton line up perfectly with the top of the illiac crest/hip bone? I feel like I must be shaped so oddly!)

I'm not going to repeat what everyone else has already put so eloquently but in response to your question, I don't think that's weird really. My belly button is maybe a tad higher than my hip bone, if you ran a string right above my hipbones and across my stomach, my bellybutton would probably be only 1/8 of an inch above the string.

veryhairyfairy
February 25th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Ah, I'm not a mutant, then. Thanks, divinedobbie! :)

0xalis
February 28th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I'm short, but I have a long neck and torso. Because of this, my hair looks a lot longer at "shorter" milestones. I've seen quite a few people who's shoulder length is my chin/mid-neck length!!

stachelbeere
February 28th, 2014, 01:20 AM
I'd say no, it's not easier. I'm 5.1 and my super tall friend and another taller friend, whose hair grow considerably faster already got so much more growth than I in the same time. I only know two people who actively or inactively grow their hair btw.

Exibit 1: she is around 6 ft tall and her super thick, fast growing hair surpassed WL some time ago, she's on to hip. Even at BSL her hair looked very long because she is tall anyway. Think about her proportions - she has to grow a lot more to get to a body mark.

Exibit 2: exactly last year in February we both had CBL long hair. Last year in September my hair reached APL, her hair was already well past BSL. she's taller as well. Around 5 ft 5.

So my conclusion is: It really depends on how fast your hair grows. If you're tall and your hair grows fast, you'll get there sooner as opposed to a short person whose hair grows slower. If you're a short person and your growth rate is faster you'll get there considerably faster than someone who is tall and whose hair grows slower and your 'shortness' will additionally be an advantage.

prettyhairisred
March 1st, 2014, 05:32 PM
Yep! It's sort of annoying for us tall chickas.:patrol: I see girls with hip length hair that looks really long, but would only be waist on me! Short girls still need to take good care of their hair of course and the journey is just as hard, but they reach all the visual markers that people judge on (shoulder, bsl, waist, hip etc) a bit quicker! But I do notice that a tall person with waist length hair still looks like they have more hair than a short one with the equivalent. shudder:

Lindseyh
March 1st, 2014, 06:30 PM
I'm 5'10" and with 31.5 inches of hair, I'm just now getting into waist territory. So sometimes when I see long hair on short people I have an internal "pout" until I realize their hair is as long as mine; it just seems longe on them. We're all on the same path to awesome hair together :)

sarahramen
March 1st, 2014, 06:58 PM
Actually, I don't think that height matters until we are talking past waist(excluding the very tall 5"10+ and very short 4"10' people). My friend's hair is at waist by 31 inches, mine is there at 30 but she is 8 inches taller than me. Generally I've noticed tall people get most of their height from their legs, even if they are proportionally long torsoed it doesn't make THAT much of a difference in inches of hair. But once you get to hip and beyond yes they have more area to cover so their hair needs to be longer. I'm 5 feet tall by the way, and have thought about this before.

tommyboy
March 2nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
I guess it grows at the same rate so no, but it would look longer faster relative to your body.

meteor
March 2nd, 2014, 01:14 PM
Doesn't hair grow a bit faster on taller people? It should be proportionate, no? As I can't change my height and the speed at which my hair grows genetically, I never even looked into this question.
That said, I'd be curious if somebody did research on this.

chen bao jun
March 2nd, 2014, 08:10 PM
I'm five foot three. I would say that height has some relevance but other things play in too. Body proportions; I'm long waisted, it will take me longer to get to waist than short waisted friends who are a few inches taller. but a lot depends on how many inches. If someone is six foot tall, even being long waisted for a five foot three person isnt going to cause me as long to get to waist as it will for them.
Except:mine is curly, very curly and this makes it seem much longer for me to reach body markers than anyone with straight hair,verydefinitely.
I think the person whose hair would look longest fastest would be four foot ten or eleven, have hair that grows fast and doesn't break easily off at the ends (coarse), and have straight hair to show every centimetre of length, as well as being quite short waisted.
But I can't imagine wanting to change how I look simply because my hair would look longer faster if I were different.