PDA

View Full Version : Why do some people regret bangs?

Ashflower89
February 23rd, 2014, 07:36 PM
I've been trying to figure out why so many people here on LHC curse and hate their bangs and get so annoyed trying to grow them out. I had my hair all one length with no layers(thank god) a while ago, and got so incredibly bored with it. I had some small angled side-swept bangs cut in and fell in love. It made my updos look way cuter, and just generally added more personality to my hair. On top of that, when I was bored, I loved to swing my head back and forth and watch the bangs fly around lol. I'm currently growing out a pixie and its a few inches above shoulder, and as soon as it does hit shoulder I plan to cut the same type of bangs in. I mean... unless theres some obnoxious long-term reason not to do it? I just don't get why some people see them as such a pain? Whats the deal?

Chromis
February 23rd, 2014, 07:45 PM
Because I wear glasses, hate having hair in my face, and have some wild cowlicks that make bangs misbehave wildly.

I've never had bangs willingly though. My mother kept cutting them in as a child. Being an adult is much better. Never having bangs or layers again! (Also ice cream for breakfast now and then ain't bad either!)

LaFlor
February 23rd, 2014, 07:48 PM
Well, in my case, my bangs didn't lay right, they were always getting sweaty and sticking to my forehead, and I wasn't a big fan of how they looked on me.

Hele
February 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM
i think it might be the "what works for one person doesn't work for another" principle. I know for me personally if i decide to cut some face framing pieces i'm instantly reminded of my hair's tendency to go insane if short--sticking straight out, curling up strange if it's hot or humid, pretty much doing everything but looking good. Then i have to grow it out and have it not long enough to be included in my updos and escaping from pins and getting in my face. I like the look of bangs, but it just doesn't work for me.

Stormynights
February 23rd, 2014, 07:50 PM
I love bangs. I may get my scissors out soon. :confused:

sunflowersmiles
February 23rd, 2014, 07:52 PM
I liked my bangs but they required too much upkeep. I had to wash them everyday, blow dry them and usually straighten them because I have a cowlick right where my bangs are. They are such a pain to grow out as well. I am just now happy with the length they are at and it is past shoulder! I am still kinda anoyed with them because when I wear my hair down it makes me look like I have short hair. Long story short, I think they are cute on a lot of people, but I am just too lazy to bother with them.

Scarlet_Heart
February 23rd, 2014, 08:05 PM
Oh! I can answer this one! I have a very long face and a long forehead. So once every few years or so I decide I need bangs to soften up my look, which makes perfect sense, right?! Well, I always immediately regret it because I have this crazy dramatic widow's peak which, without fail, make my bangs lay weird and look dumb. Then I start the long process of growing them out and the whole horrible cycle starts over again.

I'm really fighting the urge to give it another go because I'm wearing my hair up all the time now and I know bangs would make it look more interesting. But oh well.

arr
February 23rd, 2014, 08:10 PM
Many people hate styling bangs, getting them trimmed, the fact that they get greasy faster, and especially the process of growing them out. I have bangs and am happy with them, but occasionally for a different look, i have grown bangs out four different times in my life and it was always extremely aggravating. Also, some people find they hate having hair in their eyes and on their face.

Larki
February 23rd, 2014, 08:59 PM
I've had blunt bangs, straight across my forehead at eyebrow level, my whole life. They get greasy quickly - they're good for about a day and a half. If I take a shower on Thursday night, by Saturday afternoon they'll be greasy and look gross. For some people, bangs cause acne problems on their forehead because the hair makes the skin underneath it more greasy. Personally, the only time I had problems with it was for about a year just after puberty, and then it was REALLY bad. But ever since, I actually never, ever get zits or blackheads of any kind on my forehead, and although the skin is still greasier than the rest of my face, no one but me knows that! As for styling them, mine need absolutely no styling other than combing them into the proper position after a shower, but that's probably because of the cut and my hair type. I trim them about 1/3"-1/2" every month.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2b4103.jpg

Anje
February 23rd, 2014, 09:25 PM
It's not in my personality to put up with hair on my face for long, so bangs weren't a good idea for me. Additionally, I could either have greasy-piecey bangs or a flaky dry forehead; moisturizing and bangs apparently could not coexist. So I'm growing them out, sorry DH, but I disagree that they're cute on me and they won't be happening again. I hated bangs on me 20 years ago, and I hate them now.

LauraLongLocks
February 23rd, 2014, 09:29 PM
I loved my bangs, and didn't mind taking care of them every day to make them look right. I have a cowlick right in front and need to blowdry mine to get them to lay properly. Anyway, I wore them for 2.5 years, enjoyed every minute of it, and now I'm done with them and I'm growing them back out. I've decided if I ever want to get bangs again, I'll just do clip-ins.

CousinItt
February 23rd, 2014, 09:34 PM
I think bangs are super cute. Then I cut myself some, and I realize they're super cute on other people :rolleyes: with my face shape, some face framing layers are better.

Nadine <3
February 23rd, 2014, 09:41 PM
I love mine, but some people don't like the upkeep they require. I have to trim them, blow dry my cowlick, and wash them after a day and a half or they look horrible. I don't mind it though because I hate my forehead and like to keep it covered. I look funny without them.

Ferryl
February 23rd, 2014, 09:43 PM
I love love love the look the sideswept bangs. I think they look romantic and add interest. I love myself in sideswept bangs...but as soon as a piece falls out of place and in my line of vision I get severely annoyed. As a nurse, I'm running around all the time and hair in my eyes will not work. Yeah, I would pin them back but I feel that defeats the purpose of having them as it changes the look I was going for. Repeated sideswept bangs three different times and now accept that it is not for me. So for those people who can have bangs and not go crazy, go for it! Oh, and blunt bangs look terrible on me. I had them all of my childhood but not by my choice. :P

maborosi
February 23rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
I personally really like my bangs. I look good either way, but I like the look that bangs gives me. I'm willing to wash them and work with them as I need to. I can see how they could get really annoying, though!

~maborosi~

ExpectoPatronum
February 23rd, 2014, 10:21 PM
I love bangs on myself. As I've said in other threads, they bring a certain balance to my face shape. I've had bangs most of my life, but have grown them out a couple times here and there. I always end up cutting them back in. I really like how I cut them this time. I can have them straight across, or side swept.

Also, my hair naturally wants to do the bang thing. When I cut them this last time, I didn't even have to work to section hair out. Those pieces just came forward for me. Mine also take no effort to style. I just comb them into place after a wash and they're good to go. I might have to re-wet and comb, or shampoo them between wash days but that isn't always needed.

spidermom
February 23rd, 2014, 10:40 PM
I love my bangs. I don't wear them the same way all the time. Sometimes they're down across my forehead, other times they're pushed back and off to the side with gel. I can hit them with the flat iron and get a curve in them, other times I make them stick straight. It's really fun and only takes a few minutes to wash, dry, and style them. No hassle at all.

vanillabones
February 23rd, 2014, 10:47 PM
For me I can't have bangs, too much hair is sacrificed for my extremely thin hair to have bangs. I love them on other people but I'm glad I finally realized WHY they don't work for me because I tried to have them all of my life. Maybe one day I can try again with very very light long side swept bangs.

Aderyn
February 23rd, 2014, 10:52 PM
Once you have bangs and if you decide you don't want them (whatever reason given), it can take years to grow your bangs out to the length of the rest of your hair. I think clip-in bangs are a good option, especially for those who don't want to jump into the full-blown commitment of bangs.

I think bangs (provided they are the right style) look quite nice, on pretty much anyone. I don't understand why people hate on bangs based simply on the way they look.

Personally, I don't have bangs because my hair is really curly at the very ends (at ~waist length, only the bottom 1/3 gets wavy/curly) and I really don't like the look, and I just can't be bothered to maintain them. The high humidity here doesn't help with curly hair and bangs either. I also have very sensitive, very dry skin and having bangs (not just bangs, but hair in general laying on my face for extended periods of time) is really irritating to my skin and can cause me to break out. I like being able to pull it all out of the way in one fell swoop, not having to pin back bangs.

ArienEllariel
February 23rd, 2014, 10:56 PM
It's not in my personality to put up with hair on my face for long, so bangs weren't a good idea for me. Additionally, I could either have greasy-piecey bangs or a flaky dry forehead; moisturizing and bangs apparently could not coexist. So I'm growing them out, sorry DH, but I disagree that they're cute on me and they won't be happening again. I hated bangs on me 20 years ago, and I hate them now.

THIS. And also mine lie flat stuck to my head unless blow-dried every day and then I had flyaways instead which were made worse by the humid weather here. Also, I look about 5 years younger with bangs in general.. just no.

I had heavy straight cut bangs as a child (probably to help them lay better. Mum's idea, not mine. Never again.

AspenSong
February 23rd, 2014, 11:03 PM
I both love and hate bangs. I've had them off and on my whole life. From blunt short ones to wispy long ones. I love how they look on a lot of people, I love them with funky glasses and updos....however for me there are drawbacks that outweigh the goods. I'm oily acne prone skinned and no matter what, I had worse forehead breakouts with them. They got oily and icky fast, and needed some sort of styling to look okay and they got caught in my glasses.
I have super fine and thin hair and in the end, I wanted that bang hair as hair, so I had a bit more. Lol. Sometimes I think about cutting them, but my bangs are now nearly bsl and I just can't do it!

BlazingHeart
February 23rd, 2014, 11:04 PM
I've been considering them for a while, for the first time since I was a child. My mother used to cut in these awful, thick, uneven bangs. I grew them out when I was...I guess 10? and I've never had bangs since, unless you count when my whole haircut was short (badly done pixie, and later a couple of times at cheekbone level). I just hated them for a long time because of the awful ones my mother put in my hair. Now, though, I've been considering something a bit like the OP's picture. Or rather, I was, before I had a MASSIVE shed, and I think I may put it off until my hair grows back in thicker, whenever that happens.

Edited to add: oh yeah, the other reason people regret bangs is because of how long it takes to grow them back out.

ositarosita
February 23rd, 2014, 11:37 PM
I have a fine hair texture so for me to get some nice bangs it takes ALOT of hair which does nothing for my hair thickness ... I've pretty much always had face framing layers instead of bangs because it frames my face (obviously), makes my up dos not look as severe (which actually makes me look more approachable as I look very severe already). I cut my bangs October 31st and haven't trimmed or maintained them since... as I've been trying to grow into a one length blunt cut for about 2.5years ... then I cut layers 7 months ago and bangs four months ago . I think it will look nice and be easier for me to grow out that way. ( I want a little extra severity in my life lol)... I just want a thicker ponytail and my trims to be easier .. just trim the length and not have to dust my layers and bangs... takes only about 10 mins and ill take that over the 30 mins any day lol

restless
February 24th, 2014, 12:12 AM
Id love to have bangs as I think theyre adorable BUT... mine wont stay nice looking no matter what because of unruly waves and a poorly placed cowlick. I never learn though so every now and then I cut in bangs only to regret it a few seconds later when I suddenly realise that "nope, it wont cooperate this time either".

jeanniet
February 24th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Same reason people do or don't like anything. It's personal preference. I like the look of bangs, but absolutely hate the feel of them. If you like them, have them.

RapunzelKat
February 24th, 2014, 12:23 AM
Personally, I don't have bangs because I don't like hair in my face, and they just won't stay put. I distinctly remember the day I decided I'd never wear bangs again. :D I was walking to school, I had just managed to get my cowlick to behave that morning, and they were looking super cute. Then *poof,* one tiny breeze and all my hard work was undone - they were all limp and stringy and in my eyes, and my cowlick was back full force. I was 100% done with bangs after that. Luckily my hair was still short and they grew out quickly :D

That being said, I actually quite like the look of bangs on others if it suites their face. I think the main reason most LHCers who decide to grow their bangs out hate the process is the sheer time involved. At your length, it wouldn't take long to grow out bangs. For someone at Classic length, it could easily take eight to ten years before those bangs caught up with the rest of the hair.

So, it's just an individual preference thing :) From the thread you can see there are quite a few who have bangs and love them. Yours look great, so if you enjoy 'em, keep 'em. :cool:

tigereye
February 24th, 2014, 12:47 AM
I don't really suit bangs. My excuse for bangs are little wispy bits at my hair line that go to chin-level that don't grow any further, that I always tuck behind my ears because I can't stand hair in my face.
I just have the wrong shape of face for most types of bangs, for the same reason I feel I suit my hair better up than down. And both have the annoyance of hair in my face which I cannot stand. I'm better off with wispy tendrils at the back or half-ups if I'm desperate to have my hair down

**Vera**
February 24th, 2014, 01:19 AM
Like the look, hate the upkeep

KittyBird
February 24th, 2014, 01:30 AM
Well, one reason was that bangs didn't suit me at all. The other was that my hair is wavy, and the bangs absolutely refused to lay right even after I used a flatiron on them. It was impossible. No matter what I did, the bangs parted in the middle and the corners flicked up like on a fancy moustache. Like this (http://thepuffinblog.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5501c1be88833019b008b12b6970c-pi), just bigger and on my forehead. :rolleyes:

Weewah
February 24th, 2014, 01:32 AM
Long side swept bangs are easier to deal with than full on fringe. I regret cutting my long bangs into a fringe, I feel like I look younger/dorkier with them now and they never lay right so I pin them up a lot.

Juniper.
February 24th, 2014, 01:53 AM
My face suits a fringe and no fringe. The only reason I'm growing mine out is because I'd had it about 3yrs and was simply bored. My fringe is never usually much hassle, I was just ready for a change. Now it's at mid-neck length and I can't wait for it to blend in better with the rest of my length.

When I get bored with being fringeless I'll have no problem with cutting it in again.

Snorman
February 24th, 2014, 02:03 AM
Because I wear glasses, hate having hair in my face, and have some wild cowlicks that make bangs misbehave wildly.

Haha same here. That awkward phase when the bangs just get caught in the frames all the time, and instead of lying nice and soft over the glasses, they just stand right out as if the frames were a shelf.... :P

Also, I hate the fact that every morning I have to wet it down to get it were I want it to be. After a nights sleep my bangs stand right out from my forehead...
And well, there's the fact that bangs seem to get greasy faster than the rest of the hair...

Otherwise I love how my face looks with bangs. Much more stylish. It's just hard to maintain...

MaryO
February 24th, 2014, 02:03 AM
I ALWAYS want a fringe and when I have it I HATE it! I think that might just be me being me (full of crap...) but I wear glasses and it just feels wrong. I have never done the actual fringe I want to hopefully I'll be able to try again after having my eyes fixed and be content. ;-) Also it is a bit of a pain growing out, lots of bobby pins and other things to keep the hair out of your nose...

Bagginslover
February 24th, 2014, 03:00 AM
I cut some long bangs in the beginning of December, and by xmas I was cursing myself! If id cuththem thinner, they'd be ok, but I used too much hair, they aren't the fine, part anyway I like bangs I'd envisioned.

They are making my updos more interesting though, as I'm forced to do somesort of accent braid or pouf to contain them, and stop them from annoying me. thats a bonus I suppose.

NoRush
February 24th, 2014, 04:02 AM
I regretted my bangs because they either lay disgustingly flat against my forehead or they split in the middle and coil in nice 80's/90's wavey bangs.... not cute.... And needed styling every day. I like them much better now that they've reached chin length, they frame my face without the mess :)

Haybop
February 24th, 2014, 04:09 AM
My fringe constantly needs trimming, gets greasy quicker than the rest of my hair and tends to enjoy splitting down the centre after the first day of behaving. On top of this most of the different dos I tried don't look as good with a fringe :(

Cederin
February 24th, 2014, 04:13 AM
I love my bangs! I've had them for like six years or something now, I could never imagine myself without them. :) They frame my face, and I can make them look poofy and cute when I wear updo's :)

lapushka
February 24th, 2014, 04:26 AM

Ditto! Glasses, hate having hair in my eyes (not to mention it's annoying with... yes, the glasses). And the cowlicks, don't get me started on those. I would need to have the bangs styled *every* single day. And that is just a waste of time, not to mention bloody annoying. Plus, bangs get greasier so *so* fast! Hair would have to be washed much faster, and don't nobody want that!

LMB
February 24th, 2014, 04:56 AM
I used to have really nice side swept bangs, I loved how they looked when they were cut and for about the first hour or so each day. (I am a daily washer anyway so the upkeep for me wasn't too bad)
I had them when I lived in Sydney and Memphis, and the heat combined with my thin hair made them just look like a couple of greasy strings because I would be moving them back off my face.
I've often thought about getting some cut back in now that I am in Scotland and it is not as hot, but I think I would still play with them too much and end up looking piecey and not nice.

Magalo
February 24th, 2014, 05:30 AM
I don't understand neither... The whole "don't cut them because growing out is a pain!!" because I never intend to grow mine out. Long pulled back hair is boring from the front no matter what happen in the back. My bangs make my long face look way better and I don't mind trim/styling them. I used to wash, blow dry and heat style my hair every day... Just doing my bangs take 3 min and it just look 1000% better: it's worth it to me!

shutterpillar
February 24th, 2014, 05:42 AM
On having bangs: I love having bangs, but I do not love the maintenance that it requires to keep them up. If I had a personal stylist that would style my bangs for me every morning and trim them every 3-4 weeks, then yeah, I'd have bangs all the time. However, the reality is that money and time are tight, and I do a sucky job at trimming my own bangs. That said, I think the biggest reason why bangs are not for me is because I have oily skin and my face (especially my forehead) breaks out something fierce when I have bangs.

On actually growing them out: it's a pain to me up until they finally get to shoulder or collarbone length. Anytime before they get that long is usually spent trying to find ways to keep them out of the way or help them blend in with the rest of my hair. I don't want hair that is all one length, as you mentioned in your original post. I want hair that blends with the other hair, and that's not easy to accomplish while bangs are growing out. When they are finally collarbone length then I will get some face framing layers to help them blend better and add interest to my hair. I am not looking for my hair to be all one length.

Theobroma
February 24th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I just don't get why some people see them as such a pain? Whats the deal?

You can't generalise from one hair type to another. Depending on one's texture, fringe upkeep may simply be more trouble than it's worth.

I had a fringe for about 15 years and loved it for most of that time even though I had to heat style them every day to make them look presentable. I could tolerate that as long as I only had to do it in the morning. But over time my texture became wurlier and at some point the fringe became unruly enough that I had to blowdry it around a round brush every few hours or it would develop weird kinks and look absolutely ludicrous. So I grew it out and will never have a fringe again.

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2014, 06:42 AM
I like bangs myself but I guess people don't like them for many reasons. Some don't like the up keep or the hair in their face.

UP Lisa
February 24th, 2014, 06:44 AM
I finally decided "no more bangs!" a few years ago. My hair is just too thin in the front. My bangs get oily so fast, and look so stringy, and never stay in place.

Also, I'm always surprised to see that people with even 1c hair say their bangs are wavy, and won't lay down. My bangs are stick straight. My hair doesn't wave till it gets longer.

Snorman
February 24th, 2014, 06:49 AM
I don't get the growing out-pain that many seems to have...
I love my bangs, they are annoying, but I love them.
I also love the growing out phase, cause my bangs just falls perfectly around my face
at every stage of the growing out phase.
Maybe I'm just lucky :D

neko_kawaii
February 24th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Maintenance, breakouts, glasses, hair touching face, reduced circumference, grow out time.

Carolyn
February 24th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Bangs. How I hate thee. Let me count the ways.

1. High maintenance. Daily and sometimes twice daily washing plus blow drying.

2. I can't stand hair hanging in or on my face.

3. Side swept bangs would make me insane. They never stay in place without hairspray. I'm not anti hair spray but it's a pain to have to use it daily.

4. I found it was almost impossible to get a stylist to leave them long enough. A lot of stylists cut mine above my brows which I hate hate hate. When I cut them myself they were never perfect.

5. Bangs subtract from pony tail and braid volume. Not good.

6. I think bangs are often childish looking on women of a certain age. Me.

7. I want to see faces, not hair hanging in faces. Mine included. Our mothers were right when they said get that hair out of your face. I want to see your pretty face.

8. Sweaty bangs look like crap in hot weather and after exercise.

9. Growing them out is such a pain. I don't want to have to rely on headbands and bobby pins to keep my hair out of my face.

10. Bangs and glasses don't work for me.

clioariane
February 24th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Speaking for myself, I loved having bangs for about a year but quickly got irritated by how much maintenance it required (i.e. frequent trims, daily styling, having to wash it more often, greasy forehead, etc). The growing out process sucks and took a year or so but I'm happy I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Chromis
February 24th, 2014, 07:57 AM
Well, one reason was that bangs didn't suit me at all. The other was that my hair is wavy, and the bangs absolutely refused to lay right even after I used a flatiron on them. It was impossible. No matter what I did, the bangs parted in the middle and the corners flicked up like on a fancy moustache. Like this (http://thepuffinblog.typepad.com/.a/6a00e5501c1be88833019b008b12b6970c-pi), just bigger and on my forehead. :rolleyes:

That is a fantastic description! Mine always tried to do the same thing, only they don't flip evenly due to cowlicks.

Also I am seeing the blowdrying and flatironing seems to be needed for many people, which might explain a thing or two about why my bangs looked more like a demented sheepdog. These are objects not found in my own and I'm pretty sure any attempt to use either by me would result in a trip to the burn unit. (I've used blowdryers for exactly two reasons: shining my shoes and defrosting freezers.) Plus I doubt they would work. I recall in the late 80's/early 90's trying to get that swooping wall o' bangs look. I went through gallons of gel and hairspray and even just combing it over since I didn't have a blowdryer all that happened was that my natural part and cowlicks reasserted themselves. You can imagine how *awesome* that looked :lol:

My problem has nothing to do with the growing out part and everything to do with the actually having having them in the first place part!It's your hair, but if asked I would not recommend them (maybe unless I really disliked you, but that's not generally how I roll :p)

Chocowalnut
February 24th, 2014, 08:07 AM
For me it's because the image I have of how I want my bangs to look, is never how they look. I love thick, straight across bangs. So I always debate on whethe rto get my bangs cut or not. Because my face also looks really good with bangs. But my hair type doesn't cooperate- it's too fine so I don't get that thick, full look I love most of the time, and my hair is naturally wavy/curly, so they don't ever lay right unless I straighten them and even then they still don't look right.

JessicaAnn
February 24th, 2014, 09:34 AM
This is me all over. My bangs grow out pretty fast. They were above my eyes 4 1/2 months ago and now they are pretty much at my chin. I like having some layers starting between my chin and shoulders so even when my bangs are growing out they fall and blend really well with the rest of my hair. I generally get them cut a few times a year and rock some version of bangs at all times. I love wearing my hair in a ponytail so they help soften that look up and they give me a nice frame around my face when my hair is down. I love have and growing bangs all around.

I don't get the growing out-pain that many seems to have...
I love my bangs, they are annoying, but I love them.
I also love the growing out phase, cause my bangs just falls perfectly around my face
at every stage of the growing out phase.
Maybe I'm just lucky :D

naopll10
February 25th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Mine get in the way all the time:(

Monkshood
February 25th, 2014, 04:15 AM

Hilarious. That's exactly how my bangs look right now... well, most of the time, really. I only put up with them because I think I look worse without.

Merrybethable
February 25th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Bangs (OK lets be honest I really mean fringe coz I am an Aussie) always looked terrible on me. I have baby hair curlies on my temples. When I have a fringe I have curly hair 3a ish then baby whispys on my temples then a wierd shraightish fringe. I also don't like the feeling of hair on my face. Some people do look better with a fringe, but if you find they don't work they take a long time to grow out to the lenth of your long hair.

~Abi~
February 26th, 2014, 01:35 PM
I'm really having trouble because I think my face would look better with some side-swept bangs especially for updos. But every time in my life that I've had bangs, they NEVER behave or look right. I probably just don't know how to cut my own properly. :O And some days my hair will be wavy, and then my bangs would flick out on the end at odd angles. I don't own a flat iron, and I don't want to go buy one just for my bangs! Besides, the last thing I want to do is get bangs cut and then have to go through the pain of growing them out yet again, while they look stupid the whole time. So...I want bangs, but I don't want bangs...what to do? LOL

blue_eyes
February 26th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Ugh bangs. I have such conflicting feelings about them. I have an oval face and thought that bangs would make my forehead look less long, so I'd get bangs cut. Then I'll see all these celebrities with similar foreheads (Gisele, Megan Fox, Angelina Jolie) who do NOT have bangs, but have long hair and look fantastic. So I'll think to myself 'maybe I'd look better without them!" and I start growing them out. After they've been growing for about 6 months I start thinking that I may look good with bangs again (and the cycle begins over again). I've always gotten some bangs cut every once or twice a year, so I can't actually sat I've never had bangs at all (they're usually long and side swept). I'm trying to grow them out completely now while I'm growing out dye, and maybe I will end up liking my 'look' a lot more without them. That's all it really comes down to for me.

Tangle or Curl?
February 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I used to cut them in to soften up my look. Unfortunately then my curl shrinkage would sproing them up and my forehead and my nose would then look three times as long. They also have too much life of their own. They wouldn't lie properly, sticking out in odd clumps of curled ficken mess. But if I could make them behave themselves without a ton of styling and stay that way regardless of humidity I would be really happy with bangs.

jupiterinleo
February 26th, 2014, 07:49 PM
I think I look best in bangs, but I have weird under-waves around my face that would make them curl outward on one side, no matter what I did. It was a pain having to worry and fuss about how I slept on them, too. Life is just easier without them, in my case. That said, I am growing them out now, and in a few months they'll be long enough to fit back into my braid. I can't wait for that! I'm so over having hair curling up into my chin and mouth all the time.

Stormynights
February 26th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I ordered some human hair, fake bangs. I can't wait to get them. If I don't like them, I can throw them in a drawer.

SnowbirdRose
June 13th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Bangs don't suit me either. My 'moustache' looks more like Bofur's from the Hobbit movies. This I think is due to a high forehead and a small widow's peak with opposing cowlicks. Lovely.

sarahmargera
June 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I know for me personally, I have two cowlicks right on my hairline, so I ALWAYS have a bald spot on my bangs. But I also have such a big forehead I feel the need to HAVE bangs. It's an ever-loosing battle.

leilani
June 13th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I recently cut bangs. I do it every 3-4 years. I almost always grow them out again not because the bangs are bad, but because the growing out is even better. They look great at every stage and it's a pleasurable journey!

queenovnight
June 13th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I personally didn't like having bangs because I naturally have curly hair, and they just didn't look good with my spiral curl pattern. I then realized that bangs take forever to grow back. The front sections of my hair already grows slower than the rest, so it took forever to get to a wearable length.

StellaKatherine
June 13th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I have long forehead and bangs do look very good on me IF they are MADE to look good. My bangs need to be shaped, straightened and such, the wet/hot weather make them all curly and stand up. Winter time with using hats is dreadfull as my bags get all static and we have cold weather for about 8 month a year hehe I want bangs and after getting them I love them for a couple of days and enjoy working with them for a couple of days, but then I start to hate them and grow them out. This has been happening several times.

The other thing is, that with bangs my braid looks thinner..... :)

Nightshade
June 13th, 2014, 01:41 PM
I was born in 1980, and if '80s bangs don't traumatize bangs straight out of you, nothing will :lol:

I grew out my mom-enforced bangs when I was 12 and never, ever, ever looked back. Bangs are great. On other people.

Sharysa
June 13th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I liked side-swept bangs, but I didn't like having to straighten them even more than I needed to straighten the rest of my hair to make them lie flat. One-length hair is a lot easier to manage and style, especially since it turned out my hair's wavy.

Decemberrose
June 13th, 2014, 02:04 PM
I had short U-shaped bettie bangs 7 months ago, but decided to grow them out. Just 2 weeks ago I cut them back in because I needed a change :) can't really decide if I regret it a little though... maybe I do regret it, they were finally almost down to my lips.
But then again, I like them on me. Cut it the same day I decided to do it. Maybe I should have waited those 2 weeks...
Hmmm, but now I have something else to think about/style and not focus so much on the damn length all the time.

I like my short U- shaped bangs, it gives something to my personality, but I don't know how long I will keep them this time around ;) I change my mind about it from day to day, hour to hour... Some people (like myself) are in this circle... cut - regret - cut - regret... can't break out of it!

meteor
June 13th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I think people sometimes regret them simply because they take a long time to grow out, more so than layers. With hair, patience is key, and you need even more patience with face-framing hair that gets in your eyes.

MINAKO
June 13th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Because they take away from the overall amount of hair and are a pain in the ass to manage on wavy/frizzy hair, lol.

DweamGoiL
June 13th, 2014, 06:47 PM
I had bangs for most of my young and young adult life. I had to blow dry them to get them to lay straight and when they got even a little bit greasy since my hair is fine, they just lay limp and looked horrible. As they were growing out, they took forever and all the in between stages until I could tie them back were not good. My hair was a bit too wavy for bangs to behave without heat every single day.

Wildcat Diva
June 13th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I don't want them. Don't want the hassle of taking care of them. Wavy hair bangs? Yikes, no. Also apparently DH has a very negative opinion about bangs, which I never knew about before the topic randomly came up recently. Maybe the Eighties really did ruin bangs for us.

Flightyness: Now that I think about it, I do kinda miss my hydrogen peroxide streaked Asymmetrical Bangs constantly covering up my right eye.

Gah eighties nostalgia begone! Tempt me not.

Tosca
June 13th, 2014, 07:05 PM
(I've used blowdryers for exactly two reasons: shining my shoes and defrosting freezers.)

My father and I have a question. Exactly how does one use a hairdryer to shine ones shoes?

On a less sidetracked note, I think I looked great with a fringe (straight cut above my eyebrows) but I found it was making me break out and my forehead was oilier, two not great things if you have dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking).

Lady Una
June 13th, 2014, 09:29 PM
I had bangs until I was ten; I liked the look in general, but they bothered me for a number of reasons:

1) I could never find someone who would cut them to the right length.
2) When too long, they always seemed to get in my eyes.
3) My forehead is really high so it always seemed like half my face was bangs.

I'm glad I grew them out when I did, before I hit my teens and got glasses, braces, and acne! My face had enough to deal with without bangs! That part of my hair is still a struggle, though. The sections that used to be the bangs don't grow very fast and are pretty thin and break easily. This might just be because they get more wear and tear though.

I wouldn't either advise or discourage bangs for anyone. I think it's good when it makes people happy. For me it was too much of a pain.

MandyBeth
June 13th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Bangs may not be the best shape as I'm cursed with a very round face combined with steroids for my immune system rebellion.

But, either I cut them or that section snaps which I push it behind my ears. Mostly from my glasses, my hair likes to sneak into the hinges. Thus, well cut bangs are better than the snapped off weirdness.

Granted, I refuse to give up my shaping. I have serious love for my vangs. Mine aren't quite as severe as Wednesday Mourning, but they're pretty obvious. Since I flat ironed them with a protein conditioner on - minor faking of a formaldehyde straightening deal - they're pretty much wash, make sure they are laying right and go. I'm a daily washer anyway, so that's not a big deal.

MandyBeth
June 13th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I was born in 1980, and if '80s bangs don't traumatize bangs straight out of you, nothing will :lol:

I grew out my mom-enforced bangs when I was 12 and never, ever, ever looked back. Bangs are great. On other people.

Hey! I'm an 81 model and never had mall bangs.

Ok, fine. Not from lack of trying, but my hair just giggles at any attempts to be big. Then I started giggling about mall bangs - the higher the hair, thw closer to God. I will laugh in your face if you are smuggling not only a hamster but also his running ball right behind your mall bangs.

And even tragic bangs look better than the hamster smuggling style.

Chromis
June 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM
My father and I have a question. Exactly how does one use a hairdryer to shine ones shoes?

On a less sidetracked note, I think I looked great with a fringe (straight cut above my eyebrows) but I found it was making me break out and my forehead was oilier, two not great things if you have dermatillomania (compulsive skin picking).

First you clean any dirt off, then apply a thin layer of polish. Then I give it a bit of spit and buff with a cloth. Next I put on another thin layer and then you aim the blow dryer at it to melt the wax in before you buff again. And then maybe another spit shine and they should shine like glass! You will need to do this several times to get them really shiny at first (especially combat boots), but after that it should be easy to give them a touch up now and then and have them gleaming in the sunlight. A heat gun also works really well. Some folks even like to set thetin on fire, blow it out and use the melted wax that way, but I think it's a bit wasteful.

I recommend Kiwi Parade Gloss, or better yet Lincoln Wax. I used to have a tin of it big enough to double as a curling stone :lol:

Next week stay tuned as I ramble on about how pantihose can keep you from getting nasty blisters in your boots on marches!

SnowbirdRose
June 20th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Well, in my case, my bangs didn't lay right, they were always getting sweaty and sticking to my forehead, and I wasn't a big fan of how they looked on me. Ditto. Even when I curled mine with a curling iron they would still misbehave.

Anje
June 20th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Next week stay tuned as I ramble on about how pantihose can keep you from getting nasty blisters in your boots on marches!
Please tell me you shared this tip with the guys. Or learned it from them!

skeletonous
June 20th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I have a cowlick where my sideswept bangs are and the greasier they get, the more it separates. Trying to grow them out now with the rest of my hair so I can just have a side parting. :) I might consider a few face framing pieces in the future.

AspenSong
June 20th, 2014, 10:13 PM
I both love and hate bangs. I like them on myself at times and have had bangs mannnnny times. However a few things have outweighed those other things for me the last few years - I hate getting them caught in my glasses, if I stretch washing - still have to keep up with the bangs being clean so they look okay, more forehead breakouts...etc. Also, the little bit of hair that was my bangs adds a smidgen of extra thickness to my thin hair. Every hair counts. lol. Who's to say I won't cut them again though. *shrug* I may get bored and honestly I'd cut those back before I ever considered a length chop.

HintOfMint
June 20th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Since I flat ironed them with a protein conditioner on - minor faking of a formaldehyde straightening deal - they're pretty much wash, make sure they are laying right and go. I'm a daily washer anyway, so that's not a big deal.

Please elaborate on this!

Shock and D'aww
June 21st, 2014, 03:34 AM
I'm actually considering cutting my own bangs and doing it right (no blunt ones). Thing is, I don't remember what it's like to have them. I must have hated them if I grew them out.
Then again, I might actually be able to style them now... Dilemmas, dilemmas:rolleyes::mad:

Chromis
June 21st, 2014, 06:17 AM
Please tell me you shared this tip with the guys. Or learned it from them!

Oh yes, this tip I learned from the guys. In return I taught people my magical shoe polishing powers. I used to charge for shining them, but I didn't mind sharing my secrets. I know all the secrets of starch and ironing too, but used to swap someone else for that. I'd shine, she'd iron! Her creases could cut glass.

Also it is amazing how much you can get away with if you kept your uniform and bunk super tidy. Oh So-and-so is a good soldier...they couldn't possibly be slacking off! Works frighteningly well in the civilian world too.

stargazer616
July 1st, 2014, 11:14 AM
I cut bangs around this time last year. Right now I'm growing them out. The main problem I had is that they looked really really weird unless they were pretty much pin straight, which is way more effort than I want to put into them. I also didn't like them getting in my face when I'm doing stuff.
Right now I have kind of a long sidebangs thing going on, which is actually pretty nice. They're easier to pin out of the way and I think they look even better than the bangs did, and I think they make me look better with my hair up than I did without bangs. Main problem is I still have to straighten them- looking forward to the point in which I can just give them a couple of swipes with the flat iron and say "good enough."

Jeanettecentaur
July 1st, 2014, 11:45 AM
I'm growing my bangs out and they have finally almost reached my jaw. Worst part about super cute bangs for me? Taking off my helmet after riding my Vespa. Bangs always look like crap out of a helmet. Also, my bangs always require a bit of work before heading out the door. No waking up, throwing hair into a top knot and starting the day. Biggest reason? Because no matter what I do my bangs never look like Kenzi on Lost Girl...:rolleyes:

Wosie
July 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM
Personally I can't wear a fringe even though I love the look of it. :/ I put skin cream on my face every day and my fringe got greasy really quickly when I let the fringe down... Not pretty. Not to mention that my hair is a lil' wavy so it will never lie where I want it to.

I went through a period of time where I skipped the cream on my forehead just so that I wouldn't look greasy as quickly... Wow, the forehead itched like crazy and got extremely dry!
I would wear a fringe if it weren't for my skin condition, it's beautiful. <3

Fericera
July 1st, 2014, 12:10 PM
I like them, but I'm growing mine out for now just to see how that looks. I love braids and it would be handy to have all my hair one length. The only real problem I have with them is that in summer they get sweaty easily, and I think look odd with unlayered hair (which because of braiding purposes I don't want).

I love your bangs, and I think they look great on you. Also your eyes are an amazing green!

Johannah
July 1st, 2014, 12:14 PM
I cut blunt bangs, never regretted them.

Ashflower89
July 2nd, 2014, 02:04 PM
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still going after I posted it 5 months ago! I'm out of the awkward pixie/bob territory and made it to a solid shoulder. I ended up having some bangs cut in again a few weeks ago due to boredom with all-one-length. I can definitely see why some people are against bangs, lots of good reasons, but I just like them too much =P

faellen
July 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
I love my fringe, I only regret not getting it cut in sooner!

PinkyCat
July 2nd, 2014, 02:47 PM
I regret mine - the only part of my chop I do.
When I straighten them - they look cute....but they wipe off my eyebrows. :(
So I'm a pinner-backer/headbander for now.

schatten
July 2nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
I really love bangs, but it just doesn't suit on my hair, it's a bit too curly for that. And i'm lazy, so i won't straighten it every day.

Timea
July 2nd, 2014, 04:16 PM
They make me look too much younger, and make my face rounder. They're also a lot of work. You wake up in the morning and they're sticking straight up and I stuck with it for ages and they never settled down, not even putting water on them or gel would get them to sit still. I like the way they look on some other people, but not on me.

peachyleshy
July 2nd, 2014, 05:01 PM
You have pretty eyes, Ashflower89 :)

I don't do bangs anymore for a few reasons: when I cut them (it's usually me doing it but even if someone else did the same would be true) I just end up not liking how they look on me. They aren't what I had in mind and that's because I was trying to look like someone else, but I didn't have their face or hair so it wasn't the same. Also, they get greasy faster than the rest of my hair (although it's easy just to wash them over the sink). At certain stages it can kinda be a pain to grow out - sadly, sideswept bangs just never worked for me either.
The last time I grew my bangs out however it wasn't a big deal. I would just pin them back at the top of my head in a little bump.
My sister thinks I should get those thick blunt bangs, but I've tried those before and my hair isn't thick enough for that to work. IDK why she thinks that.
Also I like the look of really long hair without bangs best. I think it looks more romantic and old fashioned. That's just me though and what I want.

JamieLeigh
July 3rd, 2014, 12:08 AM
I used to hate bangs, or think I hated bangs. I actually did hate the ones that my mom cut in when I was a kid, because she totally ignored the cowlick I have due to a scar that I received from a dog bite when I was 2 years old. She tried to do the straight-across thick bangs that they loved in the 80's, and they just looked odd on me, in my opinion. Not to mention, I remember feeling hot and sweaty in the summertime and not being able to keep my hair off of my forehead. When I would wear a headband, I would just get the spiky things where the ends of my bangs were sticking up.

I cut my own bangs in a couple of years ago, and so far the longer sideswept bangs are working out really well for me. I keep them between my cheekbones and jawline. I part them on the side where the cowlick is and they stay put nicely. My updos are softened and my giant forehead of doom is diminished!

Also, I do have glasses, but they do not catch my bangs. Probably because there are no hinges on them since the legs do not fold up. I can't wear contacts and I have to wear glasses every time my eyes are open, so I have no need for folding up and storing them...I carry them on my face, not in a bag or a pocket or a case.

My bangs with and without glasses (photos I took when I first cut them, but I have not changed the style of them at all, so they are still relevant):
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss17/Jamichka/Hair%20Stuff/00.jpg
http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss17/Jamichka/Hair%20Stuff/000.jpg

pri108
July 3rd, 2014, 05:27 AM
I've been trying to figure out why so many people here on LHC curse and hate their bangs and get so annoyed trying to grow them out. I had my hair all one length with no layers(thank god) a while ago, and got so incredibly bored with it. I had some small angled side-swept bangs cut in and fell in love. It made my updos look way cuter, and just generally added more personality to my hair. On top of that, when I was bored, I loved to swing my head back and forth and watch the bangs fly around lol. Heres a pic:

I'm currently growing out a pixie and its a few inches above shoulder, and as soon as it does hit shoulder I plan to cut the same type of bangs in. I mean... unless theres some obnoxious long-term reason not to do it? I just don't get why some people see them as such a pain? Whats the deal?

I think it is down to the hair dresser. When a skilled HD has cut bangs for me, I love it. but when it looks bad and doesn't add any value to my look i want to get it off, i.e. grow it back. it is a painful process tho, out of whim and fancy one day you decide to cut your long hair and then look in the mirror every day for it to grow back :( so a good HD is very important.

Ashflower89
July 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
You have pretty eyes, Ashflower89 :)

Awww thank you =3 unfortunately they aren't really mine in that picture on the original post. I wear contacts, and for quite a few years I wore a pair that were colored green. I miss them, but they weren't very healthy for my eyes and I got a lot of infections so, had to switch to clear ones.

CostaRita
July 6th, 2014, 01:06 PM
My hair is curly, so if my bangs are too short they just look messy all the time.

curlylocks85
July 6th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I did not like bangs on myself because they were too much of a hassle to manage and take care of every day. I like having no bangs.

mira-chan
July 6th, 2014, 04:00 PM
I keep playing around with the idea of bangs but then I remember that I hate hair in my face, don't own a blow dryer or a flat iron, and have hair that not only tries to stand up and out when short but is wavy and so coarse it feels like sharp wire when cut. So yea, no bangs here. I'm not up for that interesting just electrocuted look (more so than normal anyway :silly: ).

TurtleWexler
July 7th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I just cut bangs this morning. I was filled with an instant sense of regret.

It just doesn't suit my face shape. At ALL. My face is too short. I look like I've lost half of my face. They look so nice on other people. Dang it. Guess I'll be pinning them back for a while.

One of these days I'll learn to stop making spur of the moment hair decisions. At least the pixie cut looked cute, even if it required way too much maintenance and didn't leave me many options for styling and has been a pain to grow out. The bangs just look dreadful on me.

EmilyBlack
July 7th, 2014, 08:50 AM
I used to have bangs all my childhood, got bored with it, then later, in highschool I tried swept bangs, loved it, but I got bored with it again. I loved it but sometimes bangs get nasty and they're so hard to style. I'm not wearing bangs currently, and don't plan to in the near future, but I love bangs on other persons and I think those bangs suits you. :cheer:

leilani
July 7th, 2014, 11:48 AM
I like 'em but ultimately my forehead is too short. side swept ones are nice, and long curtain bangs down around my cheekbones/jaw looks great.