PDA

View Full Version : Keratin conditioners? Benefits? Long lasting?

MissHair
February 23rd, 2014, 07:12 PM
Today I bought my first ever Keratin deep conditioner. The brand is PH Argan&Keratin (from Italy) and it's supposed to do miracles to hair (LOL marketing...) Does anyone here regularly apply keratin and are the benefits of it only temporary?

cheetahfast
February 23rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
I would assume the benefits are temporary.

I used to get keratin treatments (salon straightening) and they lasted about 6 months. That was without using extra keratin products. I'm not as savvy as some other members here, but my impression is that it is basically just a type of protein treatment.

Now I do not regularly apply it since my hair does not need that much protein.

MissHair
February 23rd, 2014, 07:22 PM
Interesting, thank you. So keratin basically is a protein that the hair absorbs when it's damp? Is it supposed to make it thicker or just stronger? This is all new to me. I heard about the brazilian blow-out but never understood how it was applied. Argan oil ALWAYS makes my hair sticky and coarse so I was a bit hesitant about this combination.

Firefox7275
February 23rd, 2014, 08:00 PM
Keratin is the main protein in hair and nails.

Is the keratin hydrolysed? If not the molecule is too large to be of use. Hydrolysed protein can both penetrate and stick to the cuticle and has multiple properties: strength, body/ volume, patch repairing, film forming for shine and slip, acting as a weak humectant.

Most people's virgin root area doesn't need the strengthening or patch repairing effects, in a shampoo its largely volumising whereas in a conditioner the damage mitigating effect is more important. Do be aware hydrolysed protein can be overused leading to dry feeling or tangly hair.

MissHair
February 24th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Ah I never knew this, thank you for the info! This is the day after my wash and I have to admit my hair feels SMOOTHER but it's still very puffy and light. I think it's because of my hair texture.

duchess67
February 24th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Some days I use It's a 10 miracle with keratin leave-in. It does make my hair very smooth. I don't know what it does to the hair, but I like it.

divinedobbie
February 24th, 2014, 08:14 PM
I use keratin treatments every once in a while. I use the one which you just leave in your hair instead of washing it out, and my hair feels absolutely amazing when I use it. It is soo shiny, soft, and slippery. But I do find that after I wash it, I don't really *see* any benefits although I'm sure it does do good in the longterm.

Angela_Rose
February 24th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I use the Suave keratin conditioner sometimes. I like the smoothing effect I get out of it, but I try to take it easy with it because I don't want to over-protein my hair.