PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo for split ends?

Kikina
February 23rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
My hair turned out to be really splitty. I had a 1-inch-cut last week, but maybe it wasn't enough. :/
I have a fear of trims, I barely let my mother cut my awful ends. I want to find a way to do less and less trims (if possible - not at all).
I know there is no cure for damaged ends, but I have heard that some shampoos can "glue" them for some time. Even though it's not a permanent solution, it will do, as long as it lengthens the period between trims.

So, what's your opinion on that? Have you tried?

ALSO (correct me if I am wrong)
Isn't the tucked in french braid the best overnight hairstyle to prevent split ends?
I mean, 70% or more is hidden inside. :rolleyes:

Madora
February 23rd, 2014, 09:45 AM
I've never heard of a shampoo that "glues" split ends. But that's beside the point. What you want to do is keep your hair from getting more splits (which can be due to mechanical damage or lack of moisture).

You might also want to investigate catnip rinses for combatting splits:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

As for the "best overnight hairstyle to prevent split ends"...that is wildly subjective. For the sake of your hair, braiding it loosely is better than leaving it loose. Some people prefer buns, or putting their hair in a sleeping cap. To me the whole idea of protecting the delicate ends is only one part of protecting your hair at night. The other part is that wearing it confined lessens the possibility of combatting tangles the next morning...tangles which can lead to breakage if you're not careful when detangling. If you can lessen the tangles scenario, you're way ahead of the game when it comes to protecting your hair.

Your shampoo is meant to cleanse your hair and not to make it clump together. Besides, if there was such a thing as a shampoo that "glued" hairs together, how easily would you be able to comb your hair every day? The very act of combing (or brushing if you use a brush) would separate the strands...so they'd become "unglued" and your splits would still be subject to more damage.

The only way to combat splits is to cut them off. They will keep splitting if you don't.

Firefox7275
February 23rd, 2014, 09:52 AM
My hair turned out to be really splitty. I had a 1-inch-cut last week, but maybe it wasn't enough. :/
I have a fear of trims, I barely let my mother cut my awful ends. I want to find a way to do less and less trims (if possible - not at all).
I know there is no cure for damaged ends, but I have heard that some shampoos can "glue" them for some time. Even though it's not a permanent solution, it will do, as long as it lengthens the period between trims.

So, what's your opinion on that? Have you tried?

ALSO (correct me if I am wrong)
Isn't the tucked in french braid the best overnight hairstyle to prevent split ends?
I mean, 70% or more is hidden inside. :rolleyes:

Shampoo is intended to cleanse the root area of sebum and shift product build up. Most commercial ones contain harsh surfactants that damage hair, especially hair that is already porous or otherwise vulnerable (eg colour treated, old ends). Commercial shampoo is never going to improve the condition if your hair: that is the task assigned to conditioners and treatment products.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Look to use these in leave in type products where possible, water exposure is a key factor in cumulative damage (hygral fatigue). These can penetrate, patch repair, strengthen, increase elasticity, reduce porosity.

You might consider a microscope hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy or Komaza Care to help you assess how much of your ends are damaged beyond salvaging (eg protective cuticle entirely absent). These ends will be 'grabby' and catch on healthier hair higher up damaging that.

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
Madora is quite right you can get split end creams conditioners and shampoo but it's just a repair job I know how frustrating it can be i get them alot but then my hair is dry what has reduced mine greatly is ditching the tt and silicones hair ties I now use a wood comb mostly and a bamboo brush I've also gone back to wkly pre wash oilings and treatments and three weeks later I'm not finding new ones like I used too.

ErinLeigh
February 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
Nexxus makes a product like that. Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod2910029

I think from the ingredients it is just silicones, quats and oils. Nothing magic. Just sealing the hair to help make it appear mended.
If you are already using these ingredients you may not notice a difference. I suppose it would be determined by the amount you currently use.

Larki
February 23rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
Shampoo is intended to cleanse the root area of sebum and shift product build up. Most commercial ones contain harsh surfactants that damage hair, especially hair that is already porous or otherwise vulnerable (eg colour treated, old ends). Commercial shampoo is never going to improve the condition if your hair: that is the task assigned to conditioners and treatment products.

Proven beneficial ingredients for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol. Look to use these in leave in type products where possible, water exposure is a key factor in cumulative damage (hygral fatigue). These can penetrate, patch repair, strengthen, increase elasticity, reduce porosity.

You might consider a microscope hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy or Komaza Care to help you assess how much of your ends are damaged beyond salvaging (eg protective cuticle entirely absent). These ends will be 'grabby' and catch on healthier hair higher up damaging that.
Sorry to jump in, but would a leave in conditioner with silicones be a good choice? I'm thinking of L'Oreal Total Repair 5's Damage Erasing Balm. I also use their shampoo and conditioner, but when they run out I want to try switching to silicone-free or mostly silicone-free.

ErinLeigh
February 23rd, 2014, 09:28 PM
Nexxus makes a product like that. Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod2910029

I think from the ingredients it is just silicones, quats and oils. Nothing magic. Just sealing the hair to help make it appear mended.
If you are already using these ingredients you may not notice a difference. I suppose it would be determined by the amount you currently use.

hairpleasegrow
February 23rd, 2014, 10:20 PM
I've never heard of a shampoo that "glues" split ends. But that's beside the point. What you want to do is keep your hair from getting more splits (which can be due to mechanical damage or lack of moisture).

You might also want to investigate catnip rinses for combatting splits:
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

As for the "best overnight hairstyle to prevent split ends"...that is wildly subjective. For the sake of your hair, braiding it loosely is better than leaving it loose. Some people prefer buns, or putting their hair in a sleeping cap. To me the whole idea of protecting the delicate ends is only one part of protecting your hair at night. The other part is that wearing it confined lessens the possibility of combatting tangles the next morning...tangles which can lead to breakage if you're not careful when detangling. If you can lessen the tangles scenario, you're way ahead of the game when it comes to protecting your hair.

Your shampoo is meant to cleanse your hair and not to make it clump together. Besides, if there was such a thing as a shampoo that "glued" hairs together, how easily would you be able to comb your hair every day? The very act of combing (or brushing if you use a brush) would separate the strands...so they'd become "unglued" and your splits would still be subject to more damage.

The only way to combat splits is to cut them off. They will keep splitting if you don't.

Madora posted that ktani catnip rinse suggestion a while ago on another thread, I tried it with much skepticism but she was right!!! best advice ever!!!!!! I shampoo then catnip rinse then condition.

I gave up the fight against splits and made the painful decision to cut them off. It is discouraging but long term I think it's better for me. This way I can grow it , not worry about splits creeping up my hairshaft ....and with the cat nip rinse it helps prevent future splits.

I know you want to hold onto your length i hope you find the solution that's right for you

Firefox7275
February 24th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Sorry to jump in, but would a leave in conditioner with silicones be a good choice? I'm thinking of L'Oreal Total Repair 5's Damage Erasing Balm. I also use their shampoo and conditioner, but when they run out I want to try switching to silicone-free or mostly silicone-free.

The conditioner from that line can probably be used as a leave in not just a wash out conditioner - I have a couple from the UK version and they work great. No point in purchasing another product if you want to reduce silicones.

You may find different, but I get silkiest results from applying the leave in to hair that has only had the excess water hand squeezed out. Then squeeze more water if desired, then towel turban. Yes that means some product is lost but it is distributed way better.

That shampoo is sulphate laden, not good for hair at all.