PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as the LH routine honeymoon phase?

longishhair
February 23rd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Hi,

I just completed my first hairwash going with my new routine and using the advice I've gotten hare so far.

After pre-oiling my hair for hours with a castor/grapeseed mix, today I

slathered it in conditioner (to remove the oils) and let sit for an hour
rinsed my hair, then shampooed with a teaspoon of sulfate free shampoo
conditioned and put it up for 10 minutes
gently finger detangled it
rinsed
gently squeezed some water out
applied a dime-shaped amount of my homemade leave-in (ratio: 1/2 tsp castor oil, 1 tsp grapeseed oil, 1 drop lavender eo, 10 squeezes leave-in conditioner)
combed it with my WTC
put it up in a cinnabun
let it air dry

Differences I noticed compared to previous washes:

I lost about 50 hairs (as opposed to 200 previously)
finger detangling used to be impossible
my hair feels way softer than it used to
my hair is way shinier without me having to glob on tons of hair gel
my hair isn't a dry bush of doom anymore:p

Sooo - is this somethiing you noticed and liked as well, and did the effect wear off after a while or do you still feel that you're much nicer to your hair than when you were rougher with it (if you ever were, that is!)

Thanks!

LadyCelestina
February 23rd, 2014, 08:28 AM
Pre-oiling with my HESH Jasmine oil (it's actually a mix of mineral,coconut,castor) always makes my hair very shiny,soft,and easy to detangle.Gels make my hair rough and tangly after a few hours.
You also did an hour long treatment with a conditioner so that might contribute to all the nice effects you listed as well.

I'm glad you found something that works for you :)!

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2014, 08:54 AM
I know going back to what works for me pre wash oilings and co washing has made a massive difference I tried cwc but my hair was starting to look awful.

ositarosita
February 23rd, 2014, 10:11 AM
Once something works, it works.. at most you will need to clarify or chelate every so often (different for every person) to remove any buildup so your routine will work like new again

ravenreed
February 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM
As my hair has gotten longer its needs have changed a bit here and there. For the most part, I am still using the same routine I found when I first hit LHC.

longishhair
February 23rd, 2014, 11:32 AM
Once something works, it works.. at most you will need to clarify or chelate every so often (different for every person) to remove any buildup so your routine will work like new again

I'll probably use clarifying shampoo for every fourth CWC -

Week 1: CO - CO - CWC
Week 2: CO - CO - CWC
Week 3: CO - CO - CWC
Week 4: CO - CO - CclWC

Firefox7275
February 23rd, 2014, 12:18 PM
Yes there is a honeymoon. For many of us its simply increasing conditioning of hair, be that by cleansing more gently (less shampoo, co-washing), leaving wash out conditioner on longer, doing more intensive conditionings, using a leave in conditioner. It's a bit of a running joke on LHC how many bottles of conditioner we use compared with shampoo.

My hair looked and felt better the first week of switching from sulphate shampoo to co-washing, and from a silicone detangler to a proper creamy conditioner (both leave in). Clearly my hair didn't get healthier in such a short time frame, just decently conditioned for the first time in years.

Pynasta
February 23rd, 2014, 12:20 PM
As for me my routine just seems to bring me better results with time, but I've only been serious about this for about a year or so, and I've learnt a lot since I started.

Suze2012
February 23rd, 2014, 01:20 PM
I noticed an instant improvement when I began co washing (2 years ago in May)..

I've had a few setbacks with trying conditioners and products out but my hair is in better condition now than it has even been. I admit I am rubbish at treatments though and probably should do them more often..

I hadn't used sulphate shampoo for a year and a half and it was feeling like it need it (just a couple of weeks ago) so I did an overnight oiling and shampooed and it sorted it.
I've put that shampoo in the fridge so it keeps for the next time (a year I expect) when I need it again.. :)

LaFlor
February 23rd, 2014, 02:04 PM
I would say that as time has passed I have become more lazy in my routines and hair care in general. I don't feel like the results I got from my initial routine changed any, but rather I didn't feel like following such an over-the-top washing, conditioning, oiling, and protective styling ritual every few days for the rest of my life.

I know I'm not the only one that got over the initial "honeymoon" phase of overdoing and complicating everything.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 23rd, 2014, 02:16 PM
I have certainly become more lazy about the LH routine, these days I just wash, condition, apply a tiny bit of oil as a leave in, then it just stays in an updo until next wash day. Don't even de tangle these days except on wash day. It's up so just doesn't tangle anyway.

ETA Now, if I could just become a little more lazy in buying hair toys....lol

sarahthegemini
February 23rd, 2014, 03:28 PM
I would say that as time has passed I have become more lazy in my routines and hair care in general. I don't feel like the results I got from my initial routine changed any, but rather I didn't feel like following such an over-the-top washing, conditioning, oiling, and protective styling ritual every few days for the rest of my life.

I know I'm not the only one that got over the initial "honeymoon" phase of overdoing and complicating everything.

I'm definitely one of those people too!

animetor7
February 23rd, 2014, 05:24 PM
I will say that I have changed my routine several times since I first joined the LHC because I was trying to find what worked for me, my hair, and what was feasible for my lifestyle. So in that sense there is an end to the "honeymoon phase". But personally I'd call it more of finding something that works after trying different things and thus an end to the "experimentation" phase.

PrincessIdril
February 23rd, 2014, 06:02 PM

This is very much me! And I didn't even alter my pre LHC routine that much.
I honestly can't be bothered moving my bun round my head (plus it feels so uncomfortable if it is off centre) or changing my style regularly. Tea rinses got stopped because they increased wash time too much and I struggle to motivate myself to do an overnight oiling every week. I think my approach to hair care is very much Keep It Simple!

Hairitic
February 24th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I started with WEN Cleansing Conditioners before I found TLHC and didn't realize it was a form of CO. It left my hair waaaayyy less tangly and soooo much softer. I did however get wiry greys. After discovering Henna4Hair and TLHC, I started using henna. Wow, what a boon for the condition and strength of my hair. In addition, away went the wiries and I look much better without that mousy brown/grey hair. I add a simple herb tea/ACV rinse at the end of my cleansing and get great shine. If I'm particularly energetic, I'll add a leave-in & oil the ends but not all the time. It's a relatively simple routine and I've been in my honeymoon phase for 2.5 yrs now. :p. Guess I'm sticking with it.