PDA

View Full Version : Is my hair going curly?

diddiedaisy
February 23rd, 2014, 02:36 AM
Can you help me type my hair please, since it has grown another 1/2 inch, it seems to want to be curly. I've typed myself as having a slight s wave.

Before growth

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11614&attachmentid=9343

Pic 2 whilst damp

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11614&attachmentid=9342

Pic 3 after blow dry

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11614&attachmentid=9344

lapushka
February 23rd, 2014, 05:29 AM
That looks like 1c to me.

Magalo
February 23rd, 2014, 05:33 AM
For a hair typing pic you should clarify, don't use conditionner and let it dry naturally without touching it. Otherwise it's no accurate.

diddiedaisy
February 23rd, 2014, 06:34 AM
For a hair typing pic you should clarify, don't use conditionner and let it dry naturally without touching it. Otherwise it's no accurate.

Thanks. Tangly frizz ball is what it will lol like :D

ravenheather
February 23rd, 2014, 06:46 AM
I think it is acceptable to condition hair but definitely air dry with no touching to type hair. I am guessing you maybe a 2a though.

Firefox7275
February 23rd, 2014, 10:36 AM
You say hair is damp, how did you get it there from dripping wet? Waves are easy pulled out, I am 2a-2c yet mine will go to vague elongated S with a towel turban and very wide tooth comb then air dried. You really have to leave your hair alone after washing to type it, I think it's legit to scrunch out the excess water with hands rather the squeeze down the length as this somewhat reverses the effect if water weight when rinsing.

diddiedaisy
February 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
You say hair is damp, how did you get it there from dripping wet? Waves are easy pulled out, I am 2a-2c yet mine will go to vague elongated S with a towel turban and very wide tooth comb then air dried. You really have to leave your hair alone after washing to type it, I think it's legit to scrunch out the excess water with hands rather the squeeze down the length as this somewhat reverses the effect if water weight when rinsing.

I left a towel on for about 25 minutes, combed through with a wide toothed comb then left it to air dry without touching it.

vanillabones
February 23rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
My hair was 1c when it was your length and as it grew it got very straight (as I knew it would) and is 1a/1b. I would type you as 1c right now but you'll have to wait and see it'll either go straighter or wavier!

Firefox7275
February 23rd, 2014, 11:49 AM
I left a towel on for about 25 minutes, combed through with a wide toothed comb then left it to air dry without touching it.

You did touch, with the towel turban and comb. Water breaks some of the protein bonds in hair which contribute to wave pattern. If you do anything to stretch out hair at this time the bonds reform straighter than before. Equally if you support the natural curl or wave of hair (scrunching, clipping, plopping, diffusing) they will reform with maximal wave.

I bet you are a 2a at least but you won't know until you wash then leave completely alone to air dry or try the Curly Girl method.

MeAndTheMaz
February 26th, 2014, 08:33 PM

Ugg. If I tried that, I'd NEVER be able to rake a comb through my hair. I've always thought of myself as something in the 1's, b or c, maybe (I usually comb through a few times while it's drying), but following the don't mess with it while it's drying directions, I think I wind up more in the 2's. It's surprising what a difference it makes.

BTW, Magalo, I really like that two-tone braid you've got in your sig. Looks like it's been carved out of a piece of fine exotic wood.

Panth
February 27th, 2014, 04:16 AM
See here for how to hair type (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252).

Doing a stripping (e.g. clarifying) wash and following up with no conditioner or leave-ins used to be the recommended method, but it's not now the "official" recommended method. This is because it's not really the most "natural" state for your hair (the strong wash removes sebum as well as product) and it's not terribly relevant to your normal everyday hair.

However, you definitely must not manipulate your hair and combing it DEFINITELY counts. Even putting it up in a towel for more than a few seconds is going to flatten it. You should just throw a towel around your shoulders and quite literally leave it to drip-dry. Do not comb it. Do not brush it. Do not finger-comb it. Do not even touch it, or fluff it or anything. Nothing, until it is completely dry. Then, photo it and do whatever you like to it.

The point is not to wash your hair normally - i.e. to get clean, conditioned, nice-looking hair that is manageable. It doesn't matter if your dry hair is so tangled you can't get a comb through it. The point is to have as un-manipulated hair as possible for a single photo opportunity. If it does make your hair unable to be combed, just jump back in the shower after you've taken your photo and do a normal wash with conditioners, leave-ins, your normal drying routine, etc.