PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you detangle your hair in a day?

JCM
February 22nd, 2014, 03:21 PM
I brush/comb the tangles out of my hair right after I wake up but within a few hours my hair is tangled up again.
The tangles are not as bad as when I first wake up so I just use my fingers but it is still time consuming

How many times do you detangle your hair in a day?
Are there some days where you just do not bother to detangle your hair at all?
Is trying to keep your hair detangled at all times like fighting a losing battle you will never win?

Madora
February 22nd, 2014, 03:24 PM
I detangle when I get up. Takes 2 minutes. Never wear it down so it doesn't get tangled.

I have gone several days w/o combing/brushing...never again. Getting the lint tangles out took 3 days..but it took forever to do it gently.

Always detangle at least once during the day...and use a comb so you're sure you get out ALL the tangles.

divinedobbie
February 22nd, 2014, 03:27 PM
I generally detangle when I wake up, takes less than 30 seconds but my hairs not very long right now (BSL). Then I put it up or braid it and I recomb it when I change styles at night, another 30 seconds.

When I was wearing my hair down, I never won the tangle battle. I'd detangle, and ten minutes later my fingers would get stuck somewhere in my hair.

Marbid
February 22nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
I only detangle in the morning also. Never wear it down either, unless in braid. And sleep with satin sleeping cap. So even in the morning there are barely any tangles to take out.

p.s. Ive gone up to 3 days on nothing bur a braided bun without brushing or combing. It got fuzzy... But not really all that tangled even then.

JCM
February 22nd, 2014, 03:31 PM
I saw this reporter on the news earlier who I am sure must have spent some time styling her hair this morning but since she was outside in the wind reporting on a story her hair was a mess and blowing all over the place so she was probably better off not doing anything with it in the morning.

She should have just put it in a ponytail or gone to work with bed hair because the wind totally destroyed any style she might have spent her entire morning in the bathroom trying to achieve. :(

Pierre
February 22nd, 2014, 03:31 PM
Once or twice a week. The rest of the time it's up in braided buns. Sometimes I adjust the buns, but I don't need to detangle until I get in the shower to wash my hair.

MeowScat
February 22nd, 2014, 03:45 PM
I try to remember to do it once per day. I wear it in a bun on top of my head all day and night, but sleeping still causes some scalp knots sometimes. If I go two or more days, I have a nice little jumble of tangles that takes some time to get out.

Your post reminded me to detangle, thanks! *grabs wide tooth comb*

tigereye
February 22nd, 2014, 03:46 PM
In the morning, if I've slept with it loose. If I sleep in a braid (all spring, summer and fall as I easily get too hot in my sleep), I only really need to do it 2-3 times a week. I always detangle before showering, and very gently when I put it up afterwards (because I don't have time to sit for 12 hours waiting for it to dry, nor the patience for a cold blow-dryer - when put up wet, it comes down well-behaved once its dry and doesn't freeze in the cold temps we have at the moment when I go out with it freshly washed) so that's twice in a day.
So 8 times a week in winter, 4-ish in summer

Weewah
February 22nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
I detangle before and during showers. And when I'm at home and feel like playing with my hair. When I'm out in public with styled hair I do not touch it at all because it's wavy and will poof up. When I used to straighten my hair i would have to constantly brush it with a travel size brush I kept in my purse because it would constantly snarl up.

Parelli4life
February 22nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
I wear mine down at night and brush it in the morning every day and maybe once again in the evening if it needs it. But it depends what I do during the day. If I'm out skiing or horseback riding oh yeah it needs to be detangled!

HazelBug
February 22nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
1 to 2 times a day average. But I've been sleeping with my hair up and wear my hair up during the day. Sometimes I skip a day of combing because I'm lazy and probably not leaving the house anyway. I usually comb it before washing and after so it will dry in less than 6 hours. My hair isn't very long yet though.

Firefox7275
February 22nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
I brush/comb the tangles out of my hair right after I wake up but within a few hours my hair is tangled up again.
The tangles are not as bad as when I first wake up so I just use my fingers but it is still time consuming

How many times do you detangle your hair in a day?
Are there some days where you just do not bother to detangle your hair at all?
Is trying to keep your hair detangled at all times like fighting a losing battle you will never win?

None if I am wearing my hair wavy. One if I am wearing my hair straight-ish but up. If its straight-ish but bed head wild (thanks boyfriend) I finger detangle unconsciously as and when.

Yes with naturally wavy hair it's a losing battle that results in poufy dull looking hair.

LauraLongLocks
February 22nd, 2014, 06:25 PM
If I'm wearing it down (rare) then I need to detangle it almost constantly. If it's up all day, I detangle upon waking and before bed. There are usually no tangles.

Scarlet_Heart
February 22nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
I finger-comb in the morning and then wear my hair up all day so it doesn't get tangled. I'll finger-comb before I wash it, and then when I put a few drops of oil in it, while it's still wet, I comb it through. It's the only time I actually comb my hair.

Sillage
February 22nd, 2014, 06:45 PM
Once in the morning before I put my hair up for the day and then again at night when I take my hair down, right before I sleep. I also detangle before I wash my hair and after, when I'm blowdrying it and putting in all my leave ins.

neko_kawaii
February 22nd, 2014, 06:53 PM
Usually once in morning and once in evening. It is braided and/or bunned other times so detangling takes less than a minute. However, there are times when I toss my sleep braid into a bun and forget about it till evening or when I'm sick it will likely stay in the same braid for days. That takes some work to detangle.

dancingpoet
February 22nd, 2014, 06:59 PM
For me, it depends on the day. I could have a day when I don't leave my house and stay in pajamas, and I won't bother with it at all, but that's not really the norm. If I have work, I brush it before work, and it generally will not get brushed again unless it gets wind blown (if its down) or if there is a huge amount of static, resulting in a wonderful nest. At least I have developed the common sense to put my hair up on more windy and static-y days (sometimes the wind will catch me off guard, though). If my hair has been up all day, I generally won't detangle afterwards (unless I just feel like it). I usually brush it before/as I'm putting it up because I like it to go back smoothly, unless, of course, it has been up, is sort of coming down, and then I just have to fix it. Also, I always detangle before washing and after washing.

jeanniet
February 22nd, 2014, 08:38 PM
My hair isn't that long now (about shoulder), but I only detangle in the shower and wear my hair down nearly all the time. So I detangle about three times a week. Takes maybe 30 seconds.

Rio040113
February 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
Once or twice a day usually, three times on a wash day. I detangle when I wake up and put it up in a bun for the day, then detangle again before I braid it for bed. On wash days I detangle after I've washed it as well. If I wear it loose to go out for a special occasion then I'll detangle it once I get home, so that I can bun it again for the rest of the day (unless it's late when I get home, then it gets detangled and goes into a braid and into my sleep cap) :)

ETA - Even if I'm ill and my hair is constantly in a braid I'll detangle and redo the braid at least once a day, just to be safe. Also it's definitely a battle won by me :lol: my hair can't hold a tangle to save its life, unless there's some pretty extreme wind!

spidermom
February 22nd, 2014, 08:59 PM
Most days, twice.
Before bed.
When I get up.

Indigo Girl
February 22nd, 2014, 09:01 PM
Twice. Once in the morning, and once right before bed. Because it's always up it almost never gets tangled.

insilentharmony
February 22nd, 2014, 09:07 PM
About three times. When I get up, at least once throughout the day (unless I'm working a 16-hour shift), and before bed. I wear my hair down more often than up, so it helps to detangle in the middle of the day.

Nadine <3
February 22nd, 2014, 11:56 PM
Twice when I wear it down. I've kept the same braids in for a few days before and didn't detangle for a few days though. Just depends on what I'm doing that day.

Snidget
February 23rd, 2014, 01:12 AM
Once in the morning, before I put it in its style for the day (braid, bun, or pony). It usually takes a minute or two. Then I try to brush before bed but I often forget. The only other times I detangle is a brush before washing it, then sometimes I'll comb it with conditioner in, and then I brush it once its completely airdried.

MinderMutsig
February 23rd, 2014, 01:48 AM
At night before bed and in the morning before I put it up. Also before a shower but that usually replaces one of either washes.

If I wear it down I try to detangle at least twice during the day but don't always manage. In those cases I just put it up when I notice my hands get tangled in there and detangle it at home at night.

tlover
February 23rd, 2014, 01:54 AM
about once a day, sometimes twice (on wash Days) and sometimes I don't need to in the morning.

I Always wear my hair up

Rinna
February 23rd, 2014, 03:31 AM
I only detangle my hair when I wash it once a week and I always wear it down.
My hair wasn't prone to tangling at all until I went on CG & grew it past BSL. I've just recently realized it's only the split ends that cause any tangles, so I'm going to try and fix that!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 23rd, 2014, 03:47 AM
I detangle my hair on wash day. Which is once a week. I have my hair up all the time, either in an updo or a sleeping cap so it never gets the opportunity to tangle.

Teazel
February 23rd, 2014, 04:02 AM
Once a day if it's lucky.

Verdandi
February 23rd, 2014, 04:11 AM
Twice a day, maybe a third if I need my updo to look really neat and polished. I sometimes go for days with the same braid, though.

embee
February 23rd, 2014, 04:40 AM
Twice a day - when I get up I comb out the night updo and make the day updo. When I get ready for bed I comb out the day updo and make the night updo. :)

Before washing I brush well to remove any loose stuff, but I'm either NW/SO (winter) or WO (summer) so this doesn't happen often. ;)

Misschilly
February 23rd, 2014, 04:46 AM
I detangle with a wide toothed comb in the morning and BBB, then I have it up and finger comb quickly in the evning. I comb before washing and when it's dry again.

joflakes
February 23rd, 2014, 04:57 AM
When I get up, when I go to bed and in the shower a few times a week. So about 17 times a week. That's a lot!

sarahthegemini
February 23rd, 2014, 07:05 AM
Usually just once or twice a day (morning and before bed) Although tbh my hair rarely tangles, if anything it's just the ends that tangle a bit.

AmyBeth
February 23rd, 2014, 10:44 AM
Most days, once in the morning before I put it up. If it's in a braid or I've oiled it, I may go 2-3 days without taking it out to detangle. I love to leave it alone as much as possible. It's weird, how much my "hair values" have changed since joining LHC. Pre LHC, I would have been disgusted to leave my oily hair in the same braid for 2 or 3 days, now I consider it a treat for my hair!

ositarosita
February 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
I only detangle once .. that's when its wet just out of the shower with leave in/ detangler and serum .. after that I don't touch it with a comb

DweamGoiL
February 23rd, 2014, 11:16 AM
Most days, when I get up. I usually wear my hair down, but throughout the day, I will finger comb if I feel any snags or if I am wearing any grabby fabrics. Before bed, I detangle and then put my hair up and into my sleeping cap. Repeat in the morning. On wash day, in the shower after applying conditioner and then again after I remove my towel turban and before applying any styling products.

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2014, 11:21 AM
Once a day if it's lucky.

I've gone from brushing three or four times a day to this mainly detangle with a comb about every other day brush now.. Less splits.

Bloom
February 23rd, 2014, 02:02 PM
I detangle before I wash my hair, and then while it's still wet. On days I don't wash my hair, I detangle about once or twice a day.

meteor
February 23rd, 2014, 02:49 PM
Once a day, as I always wear it up.
I notice the less I detangle and manipulate hair, the less it tangles and the fewer hair problems I have.

ravenreed
February 23rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
I detangle when I first get up, before bed, and any time I redo an updo or braid. If I am wearing it loose, I finger comb it several times until that stops working well and then I break out the brush. I don't know how my hair manages to get tangled while up or in a braid, but it does it. It's like a super power, except not helpful...

hikarilu
February 23rd, 2014, 03:24 PM
On wash day, i use my TT on my wet hair and when it's dry in the morning and then just before putting it into a braid on evenings.
On non-wash day it varies from once to twice a day depending on my schedule (if i have to go out or not)

GrowingOut
February 23rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Every 2-3 days, it's always in twin braids otherwise.

Jumper
February 23rd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Usually morning and night... If I braid it for the day or sleep in braids it's easy, but it almost always needs it because I ride horses almost every day of the week plus working retail means moving around a ton.

I may have an office job soon so maybe I'll need to detangle/brush it less (I can't seem to kick my brushing habit so I at least bought a goody tangle fix for the moment).

I have noticed that if I am not doing something active I am more likely to leave it loose than I was before I joined. It's a start from keeping it in a ponytail all the time but it does mean it's just as tangled as in a ponytail.

excentricat
February 23rd, 2014, 07:04 PM
I detangle properly every morning. If I redo it into braids for bed, I will do either a finger detangle or a full one. If I wore braids for the day, I'll probably just leave them in. If I attempt leaving my hair down, I will detangle again around noon when I get annoyed and put it up.
If I wash before bed, I will detangle before washing, and then braid the damp hair without detangling again until morning when it is dry or nearly dry.

Ambystoma
February 23rd, 2014, 10:02 PM
Once in the morning, and once before bed, although the evening one is more out of habit since if I've not worn it down that day outside it's not necessary. I also detangle before washing, and go through it again with a wide tooth comb after but that's to help relax the natural wave rather than remove tangles.

Larki
February 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
After I wake up, before showering, and before going to bed.

jacqueline101
February 24th, 2014, 07:04 AM
I wear mine up or confined so I comb once a day to detangle. I tried to for go combing or anything but the knots were bad.

Chocowalnut
February 24th, 2014, 07:11 AM
Most days I don't at all because I lose curl definition and my hair gets bushy. I usually detangle only after I wash.

ExpectoPatronum
February 24th, 2014, 10:53 AM
At least 2-3 times a day. I'm a big of a comb junkie.

I usually comb before I put my hair up, before (and after if I wash) I shower, and before I go to bed. I'll comb it if I have to redo my braid at all during the day too.

Katrine
February 24th, 2014, 11:34 AM
If I'm not going to leave the house some days I just leave it be and wear it down. Otherwise on wash day I finger comb before I put it up, or finger comb and oil if I'm not going to wash before I put it up. At night I may finger comb the ends gently after I've taken it down and then put on my sleep cap.

Aderyn
February 24th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Twice, usually. Once in the morning with a horn comb. Then later on before I go to bed, usually just finger detangling. I wash my hair at night twice a week and follow the same protocol. Occasionally, I'll go in with a tangle teezer.

sumidha
February 24th, 2014, 02:14 PM
If I'm wearing a very secure hairstyle I can go around three, maybe four days before the tiny escape hairs start to seriously knot up. If it's down, at least once a day. I think the most I've ever gone was a week, which required a massive oiling to detangle.