PDA

View Full Version : Odd Question: How Do I Get Floppy Ends?

rcblinn
February 22nd, 2014, 09:01 AM
Let me explain since the title may seem a little odd. My hemline used to be silky with the ends soft, smooth and pliable. Now they are brittle, stick straight out and remind me of the bales of hay in my grandparent's barn . What happened? When I was a teenager I used piles and piles of silicone conditioner and my hair was fabulous with very little build up. My favorites were the old Pantene, Tresemme Vitamin E, Aussie Moist and Aussie's leave in conditioner. I've tried all of these since then and many were re-formulated. My ends are still not happy and are still stiff. I've clarified several times to no avail. How can I get those wonderfully floppy ends back? I have used many natural conditioners but hardly any gave me enough slip. I do like Trader Joes Spa Nourish but it isn't quite moisturizing enough. Any suggestions, specifically for products or treatments? My hair behaves like it is low porosity and easily gets build up on. Thanks so much! :blossom:

hairpleasegrow
February 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Same thing happened to me , but I know why. I just went through a post pregnancy shed, and I've put my hair through alot (chemical/heat/mechanical damage)

I just chopped off 7 inches to get rid of that "hay" look and to get that flop at the ends. I had so many splits and bends and white dots. My hair is alot better but not perfect.

Now I shampoo and condition with "Intelligent Nutrients" shampoo and conditioner (I use Pure Luxe shampoo with Harmonic conditioner) I have fine 1a hair and I find this line has really improved my hair quality. The same guy that started Aveda started this brand, it has very low toxicity levels. I also religiously cat nip rinse. I find the cat nip rinse and my products takes away the need to use silicones. (I used to use silicones all the time)

My ends still don't flop but I think it'll take a while just becasue there still is so much damage to my hair.

Maybe ask yourself if you've changed anything with your hair in terms of shampoos/ conditioners/water changes/ colour or dye changes..... maybe try to S and D and deep condition.

Firefox7275
February 22nd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Chelate (remove mineral build up). Don't only use oils (natural or silicones) leave in the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants): emollience = softness, to a lesser extent slip and shine. Don't overuse or underuse hydrolysed protein, don't be obsessed with 'moisturising' (adding or increasing water) especially not using humectants in low dews, porous/ damaged ends do not need more water they need less.

If that doesn't work you may need a trim.

lunalocks
February 22nd, 2014, 10:43 AM
You may need a trim. Even 1/4 inch may help.

I have smooth ends again after using catnip tea as a soak for ends and a rinse for all the hair, and a drop of generic baby oil to the ends while still damp and on ends at night before bunning. Baby oil is really cheap and worth a try. One little bottle lasts a long time.

Llama
February 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
I hadn't had "floppy ends" for a while. I got a trim last week and I've had floppy ends ever since. I only got a quarter of an inch cut off. Maybe that's what you need also? :)

HairFaerie
February 22nd, 2014, 05:30 PM
I use Redken All Soft and it really did make my hair very soft, from root to tip! I got the shampoo, conditioner and leave it spray. I used to have "crunchy" ends, but I have been using these, no more...just softness!

Weewah
February 23rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
I think you should try chelating and if that doesn't work, go for a small trim. :)

Ambystoma
February 23rd, 2014, 10:14 PM
Chelate (remove mineral build up). Don't only use oils (natural or silicones) leave in the major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants): emollience = softness, to a lesser extent slip and shine. Don't overuse or underuse hydrolysed protein, don't be obsessed with 'moisturising' (adding or increasing water) especially not using humectants in low dews, porous/ damaged ends do not need more water they need less.

If that doesn't work you may need a trim.

This! go out and grab a good swimmers shampoo (Joico K-pak is my favourite) and try and simplify your routine - if you're prone to build up like me then using aloe and oils and this and that all at once will make your hair very stiff, dry feeling, dull and grumpy. Also, silicones aren't necessarily evil - there are lots of members here who use them, in fact some even co-wash with the more easily washed out ones (I think amodimethicone is one off the top of my head). You can also try something that works for me, once I apply conditioner, I put all the hair under a shower cap and leave it there while I do all the other shower stuff, this takes 5 minutes at bare minimum, some days more like 10. I find my hair feels softer if it gets to have a nice long soak, plus I find that rinsing really well helps increase shine and softness.

Nope
March 7th, 2014, 07:42 AM
If it's a lack of moisture, I would recommend adding some banana -and honey if you don't live in a dry climate like me- to conditioner (you can blend it up or use baby food) and leaving that in for like a half hour, followed by a light silicone conditioner or leave in. Works for me :)

Mizumi
March 7th, 2014, 10:07 AM
One thing that ever made my ends floppy was deep conditioning with egg and olive oil. Try it if your hair likes proteins

Remi
March 7th, 2014, 11:26 AM
I would try coconut oil overnight, then wash/condition in the morning.