PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone gone back to more frequent washing?

arr
February 21st, 2014, 08:09 PM
Before LHC, i washed my hair every other day. Since i joined I've been washing every three to four days, because i got the impression that stretching washes was somehow better for hair. Lately, however, i find myself slowly drifting back to every other day. I find that i really like the smell and feel of freshly washed hair. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Also, is there something inherently wrong with more frequent washing? They say it can wear out and dry out hair, but how is that possible if i do pre and post wash oiling, use a good moisturizing conditioner and a leave in? The hair is only stripped of oils and conditioning agents very briefly after shampooing for a few seconds before slathering on the conditioner. I will say that my hair is in pretty decent condition, no unusual damage, so maybe it depends on what a person is dealing with?

Cheyne
February 21st, 2014, 09:51 PM
I believe that you need to be comfortable with your hair care routine, and if that means washing daily or monthly that's what you should do.

I have been washing every other day since November, but will be back to every day next month. My job requires me to work with fertilizers and chemicals outside in the dust and heat and I cannot leave my hair unwashed when I get home from work. In my circumstance it would be unhealthy for me to try and stretch washes.

If you like your hair to be freshly washed then go ahead and wash it! It's your hair and you need to enjoy it every step of the way.

Leslieslsa
February 22nd, 2014, 12:13 AM
I try to stretch washes but I have to at least rinse pretty much everyday because I go to the gym and do rigorous exercise. So I usually wash it every three or four days, but I rinse it almost everyday. Reason being I don't want the sweat to clog my follicles and hinder growth.

ExpectoPatronum
February 22nd, 2014, 12:42 AM
I tend to go back to frequent washing in the warmer months due to me constantly being in the pool. I don't want to leave that icky chlorine water in my hair! If that means washing every day, then so be it. :) You gotta do what works for your lifestyle.

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2014, 05:34 AM
I've said many times that stretching washes is not all it's cracked up to be. It's something that's become ingrained in the collective LHC mind. Some swear by it but I found it was detrimental to my hair plus my hair looked like crap most of the time and that wasn't good either. When I say it was detrimental I mean I had an itchy, zitty scalp. Also not washing as often made my ends super dry. My hair needs moisture and the way to get it is getting my hair wet and using conditioner. For years I washed every single day and then after coming to LHC I tried backing off on my washing frequency. After a while I could see that my ends were becoming super dry and brittle. I concluded my hair was simply thirsty for moisture. So I went back to washing it more often. By more often I mean I went from washing my hair 2-3 days a week to washing it 3-5 days a week. I often do a pre wash oiling the night before I wash, shampoo on the scalp only, and then load on the conditioner for at least 10 minutes. It's working very well for me. So don't feel bad if you want to wash your hair more often and don't feel guilty for doing it just because many people here think it's a bad thing to do. I love the smell and feel of freshly washed hair too and I love wearing my hair down which I only do if it's been washed that morning. I see we have very similar hair types so I think if you hair is like mine you will be fine washing it as often as want.

jacqueline101
February 22nd, 2014, 06:07 AM
I tried monthly washing my scalp itched the last week so I went back to weekly washings. My hair seems oilier then it did. I'm going to have to work on it.

MeganE
February 22nd, 2014, 06:16 AM
I'm an every day to every other day washer, and my hair is fine. I just oil regularly, CWC, and trim regularly. No crispy ends here!

PrincessBob
February 22nd, 2014, 06:18 AM
Lol, I have been washing more often recently, more like every seven days than the previous 10. not even because my hair is too dirty or oily, but more because I have been using leave-ins more frequently and they make my hair too slippery for some updos. To be honest, you should do what works for you. You experimented with stretching washes and it didn't work for you so well? Chalk it up to experience. I find that stretching washes helped my growth. Since my goal is extreme lengths, I could use to maintain all the moisture I can without spending tons of money on enough product to re-moisturize all my hair frequently. But note that my hair is fairly thick, and somewhat coarse. I have already established through experimentation that my hair likes to be left unwashed for days on end and I am so glad I did those hair experiments.

I also learned that my hair and scalp thrive on ACV rinses, whereas I know many people on the boards who find ACV rinses to cause unpleasantness to occur. The best lesson to take from this wonderfully informative forum is this: Your Mileage May Vary. What works for one, may not work for others, what is expected to work for all, won't. Whether it is a question of the best hair accessories, detangling tools, products, or washing methods, most people will latch on to things that work for them and shun things that did not. in sharing our opinions we can inform the choices and experiments of others, but in the end we must decide for ourselves what we like best. It is impossible to convince your hair to thrive on coconut oil if it causes your hair to break off, you cannot expect fine hair to maintain volume with heavy leave-in.s and a scalp that is unhappy when left unwashed is an unhappy scalp, period. Regardless of what works for your virtual neighbor's hair.

The only thing I will outright tell people they *should* do in their hair washing routine is learn to wash your hair without piling the length all up on top of your head and scrubbing it into a tangled mess with a big handful of shampoo. The cliff notes version of what I mean is this: you wet all your hair and dilute your shampoo in a good amount of water to allow it to spread easily as you massage your finger pads through your canopy to wash your scalp. The surfactants then get moved down the length with the additional water used for rinsing and will continue to move the oils and debris downward and off your hair and use your hands to guide and move the shampoo suds all down the length. So much less tangling to undo once it dries this way, and much less breakage from the mechanical damage caused by "traditional" washing methods (ie: piling all your length on top of your head and scrubbing like a madwoman). But then again, ymmv. ;)

Wosie
February 22nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
I cannot stretch out my washes all that much, due to my skin disorder. I can go two, three, four days if I'm lucky, without washing. If I try to push it any further, my scalp gets extremely itchy (imagine the sensation of having mosquito bites all over your head... not the most wonderful of feelings). :*c

Teufelchen
February 22nd, 2014, 06:28 AM
When I came here I stretched my washes to 2 times a week, but it looked gross on washing day, so I decided to go back to wash every other day. I just feel so much better with that.

Scarlet_Heart
February 22nd, 2014, 08:07 AM
I wash every other day. When I wash less, I shed more.

Anje
February 22nd, 2014, 08:33 AM
I just wash when my hair needs washing. In late fall/early winter that tends to be relatively frequently, on the order of every 2-3 days. Now it's more like every 4 days, and by summer it'll be every 5-6 days (unless I end up in a lake). Seasonal fluctuations in sebum production ftw!

Marika
February 22nd, 2014, 08:36 AM
Every other day works best for me and I did manage to grow my hair tbl+ with no problems. And believe me, I've tried every washing schedule there is over the years. Just be gentle with your hair and use products that work for you! :flower: My hair has grown from shoulders to almost waist in 1.5 years and I wash every other day or 3 times a week.

diddiedaisy
February 22nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
I'm a daily washer. It doesn't go greasy if I don't wash but as a fine haired gal it just looks a mess and doesn't feel nice. It also looks dull. My hair probably needs the moisture.

ravenheather
February 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
I wash every other day. When I wash less, I shed more.

This is the issue I am debating right now. I wash every other day with an overnight preoil. I have tried a couple of times to stretch a third day and it seems like I shed more. Not sure if its a stretching thing or if its going one more day without neelibringhad oil. I am debating trying a water rinse on the night of day 2 or just keep washing every other day.

MeowScat
February 22nd, 2014, 10:01 AM
I've been trying to stretch washes for a couple years and its not working. My scalp is really stubborn.

If you're worried about washing more often, try sulfate free shampoo and / or CO washing. If not every time, then maybe every now and then?

ravenheather
February 22nd, 2014, 10:18 AM
I use rhassoul clay, amla and catnip. So if I wash more frequently at least I don't worry about damaging my hair. But convenience and using less would be nice.

clioariane
February 22nd, 2014, 10:42 AM
I experimented with stretching washes for a few months but decided it wasn't for me. My hair looks, feels and smells best when I wash & condition it every other day.

jeanniet
February 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
The #1 rule is: there are no rules. Do what you want if it makes you happy with your hair. There is no point in having long hair if you don't enjoy it. If the rule was "You must wash every day," some people would be fine with it and others wouldn't. Stretching washes is the same way--if it works for you, go for it. If not, do what you please.

bunnylake
February 22nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
I am a daily washer and I'm done fighting it. I've tried stretching washes but it's just not for me! Once in a while I skip a day, but I love the look and feel of freshly washed hair. I never damaged my hair at all by frequent washing, it never became dry or anything like that. I actually think it helped grow my hair at it's optimal rate because I'm keeping the follicles clear and massaging the scalp every day in the shower.

ExpectoPatronum
February 22nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
For those of you with an itchy scalp trying to stretch washes, I had the same problem. I was an every other day washer for a while because trying to go every two days would make my scalp annoyingly itchy. But I've found something that not only helps, but feels wonderful on an itchy scalp.

I've found that giving my scalp a good scritching session when it starts to itch to be EXTREMELY helpful. Not only does it feel like heaven on an itchy scalp, but when I'm done, my scalp hardly itches again. That alone has helped me get another day out of my washes.

It might not work for everyone, but I think it's worth a try...And did I mention how amazing it feels? :)

Lady Neeva
February 22nd, 2014, 12:11 PM
I have to wash every other day. Because of my oily skin type and scalp, the dirt and oil accumulates quicker. I lather up about 3 times in the shower with shampoo because it seems really hard the wash the oil off.

My hair's fine, though. Except for the massive shedding and slip.

Wosie
February 22nd, 2014, 12:18 PM
For those of you with an itchy scalp trying to stretch washes, I had the same problem. I was an every other day washer for a while because trying to go every two days would make my scalp annoyingly itchy. But I've found something that not only helps, but feels wonderful on an itchy scalp.

I've found that giving my scalp a good scritching session when it starts to itch to be EXTREMELY helpful. Not only does it feel like heaven on an itchy scalp, but when I'm done, my scalp hardly itches again. That alone has helped me get another day out of my washes.

It might not work for everyone, but I think it's worth a try...And did I mention how amazing it feels? :)

My scalp is way too sensitive for scritching... As I have small wounds and flakes all over, scritching this area would just aggravate my eczema. I have to try to keep any sharp objects away from my scalp. I can't even use boar bristle brushes regularly, due to the fact that it may cause itchiness afterwards.
I wish I had an easier solution than using Ketoconazol (Nizoral in US), but it's the only thing that's working somewhat decently at the moment. :/ It's really drying out the hair, though, so one has to be careful...

walterSCAN
February 22nd, 2014, 12:25 PM
The best lesson to take from this wonderfully informative forum is this: Your Mileage May Vary. What works for one, may not work for others, what is expected to work for all, won't. Whether it is a question of the best hair accessories, detangling tools, products, or washing methods, most people will latch on to things that work for them and shun things that did not. in sharing our opinions we can inform the choices and experiments of others, but in the end we must decide for ourselves what we like best. It is impossible to convince your hair to thrive on coconut oil if it causes your hair to break off, you cannot expect fine hair to maintain volume with heavy leave-in.s and a scalp that is unhappy when left unwashed is an unhappy scalp, period. Regardless of what works for your virtual neighbor's hair.

The only thing I will outright tell people they *should* do in their hair washing routine is learn to wash your hair without piling the length all up on top of your head and scrubbing it into a tangled mess with a big handful of shampoo. The cliff notes version of what I mean is this: you wet all your hair and dilute your shampoo in a good amount of water to allow it to spread easily as you massage your finger pads through your canopy to wash your scalp. The surfactants then get moved down the length with the additional water used for rinsing and will continue to move the oils and debris downward and off your hair and use your hands to guide and move the shampoo suds all down the length. So much less tangling to undo once it dries this way, and much less breakage from the mechanical damage caused by "traditional" washing methods (ie: piling all your length on top of your head and scrubbing like a madwoman). But then again, ymmv. ;)

Truer words have not been spoken, especially the part I bolded; very well said, PrincessBob!

divinedobbie
February 22nd, 2014, 12:35 PM
Pre-LHC, I washed every single day. Then came along LHC and of course you're surrounded by lots of people saying you need to stretch washes, that it's bad to wash every day, etc. So I stretched to every 2nd, then 3rd, then 4th, then 5th day. By the time I got to the fifth day I was so miserable, then I went back a step and washed on a 3-4-3-4 cycle. Now I'm on a 3 day wash schedule because of going to the gym often and work.

I'm fine with stretching my washes a few days. I believe that it does prevent damage from the hair cuticle swelling and shrinking every time you wash it, plus prevents protein loss. I love the feel of clean washed hair, but if being a little unhappy because my hair doesn't "feel" clean (even if it is) and that my hair cleavage is more obvious on the 2/3 day can help me ultimately grow my hair, then I will suck it up and put my hair up which is better for it anyway. I wasn't able to grow my hair past MBL washing every day, so hopefully this along with some other changes will help.

If stretching washes is not working for you, then ofcourse wash more often. You just have to do what is best for you.

Nadine <3
February 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
I'm washing every 4 days. I used to be an every day washer and my hair was a poofy, fried mess. It can't handle being washed that often. My head gets a bit itchy and slightly greasy on the last day so I do a nice scalp massage, then I wash my bangs, dry shampoo the rest and throw it into braids and leave it until the next morning when I wash. This works well for me, but if you feel like stretching isn't working for you or you just like having freshly washed hair all the time then I say go for it. Every ones hair and scalp is different and what works for some people, won't work for others and that is okay.

DarleneH
February 22nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
I tried all this winter to wash as little as possible and I recently started back more often because I was seeing bits and flakies. I was sucking it up and tolerating the sore spots, but white bits all through your hair, visible to other people, is just yuck. I could scritch and preen, but all that did was lift the bits from my scalp but scatter them throughout my hair where they would be trapped. Soon I'd have to start back washing more anyway, because of being out doing sweaty yard work. I'll do water only and CO when I do wash.

So I'm going for obviously clean over questionably clean.

Lyv
February 22nd, 2014, 02:09 PM
I was trying to stretch my washes to twice a week but I think I'm going to go back to every other day. I don't like the feeling of oily hair and I get really itchy by the time wash day comes.

spidermom
February 22nd, 2014, 03:01 PM
I am in favor of wetting the hair only when absolutely necessary because of hygral fatigue, a real problem for those of us with porous hair, which is a natural state for me. My hair isn't porous because of chemical treatments/coloring the hair, etc, so there's nothing I can stop doing to eliminate the problem. I have to minimize the number of times I get it wet, and I have to get it dry quicker than it would dry naturally. So I wash about twice per week. I wish I could get it down to once per week, but I can't stand the degree of oiliness I attain by the end of a week.

ErinLeigh
February 23rd, 2014, 12:36 AM
I try to stretch washes but I have to at least rinse pretty much everyday because I go to the gym and do rigorous exercise. So I usually wash it every three or four days, but I rinse it almost everyday. Reason being I don't want the sweat to clog my follicles and hinder growth.

I have always been under the notion that if i am going to get it wet, I may as well condition it too. My hair is so porous it needs help when wet. I have never tried WO rinsing. Do you think it is better? Does it help leave more oils or something?
Not meaning to hijack thread, just never thought about only rinsing and am curious now.

ErinLeigh
February 23rd, 2014, 12:37 AM
stutter....

insilentharmony
February 23rd, 2014, 04:10 AM
I wash daily and to be honest, I don't have any intentions of stretching washes. I feel like I shed more when I don't wash, and I really like the feeling of freshly washed hair. This may seem strange, but when I don't wash my hair but do wash my face and body, it feels as if I haven't washed my face or neck at all. It feels as if my skin is just as oily as it was before I got in the shower.

Another reason I wash daily is that my job is physically demanding, and I can only recall a handful of days where I didn't work up a sweat. My job requires that I wear a "gown" that covers me head to toe and provides little ventilation. So I generally feel sweaty and oily, and it's really nice to take a shower and wash my hair.

ravenheather
February 23rd, 2014, 07:23 AM
I have always been under the notion that if i am going to get it wet, I may as well condition it too. My hair is so porous it needs help when wet. I have never tried WO rinsing. Do you think it is better? Does it help leave more oils or something?
Not meaning to hijack thread, just never thought about only rinsing and am curious now.

If I do a rinse between washes I wo on my scalp and co the length. It's the best of both worlds for me.

Marian
March 3rd, 2021, 06:25 PM
I wash every day and while it may not be advisable, it makes me happy and I enjoy my hair more!

Bri-Chan
March 4th, 2021, 02:05 AM
I used to wash just once a week in the past. Probably because I had the combo dyed hair + being 24/7 in a city without a lot of smog.
The things changed when I started going every day to another city for university. A city with a way dirtier air. I washed on day 6. But since I'm growing my virgin hair, obviously it's now more frequent, like I wash between day 4 and 5. I'm ok with that, but sometimes I feel like I could go again to a full week... sometimes I stretch it to day 6. But I like to wash my hair so now I'm washing twice a week for an year.

Finda
March 4th, 2021, 10:57 AM
I've tried weekly washes for a long while, but even after several months I never adapted to that rythm. I need a wash at least twice a week to feel comfortable with my amount of sebum production. Someties three times a week when I have appointments or special events in between. Although I have never tried stretching washes with the help of a BBB.

foreveryours
March 4th, 2021, 11:36 AM
YES! Trying to extend the time between hair washes (albeit to the extreme of over a month occassionaly) was I think one of the worst things I've done to my head since beginning. At least 2X weekly works well for me now especially as the weather warms

Ylva
March 4th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Back when I joined here, I was insisting on washing no more often than every 72 hours (3 days). I would often try to stretch it another day. However, since starting to grow out my virgin hair, sebum started travelling down the hair shaft much more easily and my regular washing rhythm became 48 hours (every other day). For the past over a year or so, I've given myself permission to wash daily if I feel like it because I really enjoy the feeling of a fresh, clean scalp, and my scalp stays the happiest and healthiest that way. But for me, scalp health is not just about washing frequency but also the absence of stearate in shampoo.

foreveryours
March 4th, 2021, 12:47 PM
What happens with stearates?:confused:

Ylva
March 4th, 2021, 03:34 PM
What happens with stearates?:confused:

Stearate is primarily what makes a shampoo opaque rather than clear. My scalp just gets very itchy when I use a shampoo containing stearate. It does not seem to be a matter of harshness of shampoo as I'd previously thought.

foreveryours
March 4th, 2021, 04:54 PM
Stearate is primarily what makes a shampoo opaque rather than clear. My scalp just gets very itchy when I use a shampoo containing stearate. It does not seem to be a matter of harshness of shampoo as I'd previously thought.

I'd never have guessed. Glad you got it sorted out.

lapushka
March 4th, 2021, 06:36 PM
I wash every day and while it may not be advisable, it makes me happy and I enjoy my hair more!

It's absolutely perfectly fine to wash as often as *you* like or your hair prefers. You're happier that way, because guess what? If your hair feels fine to you, you feel so much better.

I weekly wash, and that's fine too. Whatever works, but it's not like, say, a *must* on this forum that you have to stretch out your washes. If you need to do it daily, you do you!

kittywmittens
March 4th, 2021, 10:40 PM
I'm somewhat new here (meaning I have been lurking on and off for years without posting, trying to follow the wisdom preached on the forum) and although I have tried stretching washes, I just can't do it - my scalp is an itchy, greasy mess, my ends are dry, but if I oil them, its all just an oily mess. In the end I feel like crawling into a cave and hiding. (Admittedly this has been an option for almost a year, but hey, a girls gotta feel pretty. :) )

All in all, I end up feeling like when I stretch washes, I am doing it 'right' and when I give up and don't, then I feel like I am doing something 'wrong' paired with this inexplicable guilt. :rolleyes: And I have to say I am done with that! :D From now on, I am going to try and do all I can for my hair, but I refuse to turn into Smeagol.:D

itskate
March 4th, 2021, 11:17 PM
I'm so happy to see this thread first thing upon logging back in for a long time! I was just thinking recently how fed up I'm getting with stretching washes, but was worried washing too much is bad... I'm not sure it is actually "better" for my hair to go without, and looking at pictures of my hair on day 3 or 4 I cringe that I have been going to work so often with such a greasy scalp! I love the feeling of day 1 and 2 hair, and I might go back to every other day, at least for the upcoming warmer months. What I like about that thought is how much better about myself it would make me feel, which is worth more than negligible benefit to the hair, I would imagine.

lapushka
March 5th, 2021, 06:03 AM
I'm somewhat new here (meaning I have been lurking on and off for years without posting, trying to follow the wisdom preached on the forum) and although I have tried stretching washes, I just can't do it - my scalp is an itchy, greasy mess, my ends are dry, but if I oil them, its all just an oily mess. In the end I feel like crawling into a cave and hiding. (Admittedly this has been an option for almost a year, but hey, a girls gotta feel pretty. :) )

All in all, I end up feeling like when I stretch washes, I am doing it 'right' and when I give up and don't, then I feel like I am doing something 'wrong' paired with this inexplicable guilt. :rolleyes: And I have to say I am done with that! :D From now on, I am going to try and do all I can for my hair, but I refuse to turn into Smeagol.:D

Nowhere here have I ever felt it a "must" to stretch washes. I mean, yes it's important if you use, say, hot tools on your hair (not counting a simple blow dryer that you can easily set on warm/cool), but with the gentle drying methods most of us use on here? If you condition well enough after (if your hair has the length for it), then there is *no* problem with washing more often. I don't think that can be said enough.

I mean just check out the frequent washing threads!

kittywmittens
March 5th, 2021, 10:27 AM
I am afraid you might have misunderstood me lapushka - never meant the LHC pressured me into anything. If anything the pressure to stretch washes is more in my head than anywhere else. :)

MusicalSpoons
March 5th, 2021, 11:04 AM
I am afraid you might have misunderstood me lapushka - never meant the LHC pressured me into anything. If anything the pressure to stretch washes is more in my head than anywhere else. :)

That's understandable, especially as one of the first pieces of advice for dry lengths is to wash less frequently. That does require sufficient moisturising during the actual wash as well though, which seems not to be common knowledge outside of LHC or sites geared towards curly hair! Ultimately though, each of us has to do what's right for our scalp and hair; there's no right or wrong (except baking soda - that's always wrong :lol:) :flower:

Finda
March 5th, 2021, 11:46 AM

That sounds so familiar. Especially this winter, I thought that not just my scalp, but also my ends needed an additional wash because afterwards they looked and felt super smooth again.

kimgeas
March 5th, 2021, 11:55 AM
This is my thread. After a year of trying to stretch washes I ended up with scalp inflammation. :wail: I wash every other day now, used to be a daily washer. I must admit that frequent washing does dry out my length, but my scalp absolutely needs it. When I put out washing my hair it sheds like crazy. Unfortunately I haven't had much success with scalp only wash either, it leaves a residue kind of feeling on my length.

foreveryours
March 5th, 2021, 12:41 PM
This is my thread. After a year of trying to stretch washes I ended up with scalp inflammation. :wail: I wash every other day now, used to be a daily washer. I must admit that frequent washing does dry out my length, but my scalp absolutely needs it. When I put out washing my hair it sheds like crazy. Unfortunately I haven't had much success with scalp only wash either, it leaves a residue kind of feeling on my length.

Very similar. You might check out lapis_lazuli's most recent blog post. No need to even wet the length.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=142708

Sparkles122
March 5th, 2021, 07:17 PM
I keep attempting to stretch washes. I just cant do it. Both my hair and my scalp love more frequent washing, and honestly I love my hair more with more frequent washing.

Ulessa
March 5th, 2021, 10:37 PM
I used to stretch washes because it seemed to be what was recommended everywhere but I've recently started to just do what fits me and my hair :) My major issue is that I'm extremely prone to tangling and it causes so much breakage, so I just decided to start conditioning every time I got my hair wet. (Which is most of the time I shower, about everyday) I don't always use shampoo though! Just when I notice my roots are starting to get a bit oily. Plus it has the benefit of always smelling amazing. I do have very thick and resilient hair though, so I don't have too much trouble with buildup.

AutobotsAttack
March 8th, 2021, 10:59 PM
I tried it. Scalp resisted me every step of the way. I’ve also noticed that my face and scalp behave similarly. So as much attention as I pay to my face, I also pay towards my scalp. I shampoo my roots every other day. Day 3 is really pushing it though. My length is usually braided up. So long as I put moisture back to my longer lengths I can use shampoo as much as needed without worrying about dryness

Dark40
March 15th, 2021, 07:21 PM
I do it all of the time. I only shampoo the scalp three times a week. Or, every other day too like what AutoBotsAttack is saying. After every wash I always apply some type of moisturizer to both the scalp and length to prevent dryness.

spidermom
March 15th, 2021, 07:33 PM
I've recently been trying once again to extend time between washes. In cold weather, I hate having wet hair hanging all over me for the hours that it takes to dry, and I don't always want to spend half an hour or so with the blow dryer. Once my scalp starts itching, though, that's it. First I try combing/brushing in the inverted position. If that doesn't work, it's time to shampoo. I usually get to the 4th or 5th day. I'd like to get to the 7th day.

knobbly
March 15th, 2021, 08:13 PM
I have been a weekly washer for awhile but I washed after four days last week and my scalp is getting itchy again so I think it might be time to do the same again tomorrow (as in it will be four days since my last wash.) I assume that this is hormonal stuff because I’m at the very end of a pregnancy and things in my body are just wack as he** lol. I’m mostly just lazy and dislike the amount of time it takes to do the whole washday rigamarole, but hopefully once my hormones settle down I can get back to my preferred schedule.

Bri-Chan
March 16th, 2021, 02:14 AM
Do someone wash more frequent not because of the scalp, but because the lengths and ends get drier and drier with days no matter what? I was trying stretching my washes to almost once a week. Tomorrow we'll be a week, but I think I'll wash today because all my dyed/bleached section feels dry. I also applied a leave in conditioner several times during the days! My scalp could make it to tomorrow instead.

floridaorchid
March 16th, 2021, 06:08 AM
Do someone wash more frequent not because of the scalp, but because the lengths and ends get drier and drier with days no matter what? I was trying stretching my washes to almost once a week. Tomorrow we'll be a week, but I think I'll wash today because all my dyed/bleached section feels dry. I also applied a leave in conditioner several times during the days! My scalp could make it to tomorrow instead.

Hey! Try a really deep conditioning mask before you wash! It should help give your ends an extra boost of hydration for your wash.
You could also try conditioning first, then shampoo, then condition again. It might seem a little crazy, but I feel like it adds a protective layer from the shampoo over the dyed/bleached sections.

Bri-Chan
March 16th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Hey! Try a really deep conditioning mask before you wash! It should help give your ends an extra boost of hydration for your wash.
You could also try conditioning first, then shampoo, then condition again. It might seem a little crazy, but I feel like it adds a protective layer from the shampoo over the dyed/bleached sections.

I often do WCC, and I use a deep conditioning mask as first conditioner. But it seems like during the days my hair gets drier and I need to WCC again because the dryness is too much for only a leave in conditioner. Also if my scalp still feel nice... I guess it's better for me to stay on twice a week washes instead trying to stretch.

floridaorchid
March 16th, 2021, 07:32 AM
I often do WCC, and I use a deep conditioning mask as first conditioner. But it seems like during the days my hair gets drier and I need to WCC again because the dryness is too much for only a leave in conditioner. Also if my scalp still feel nice... I guess it's better for me to stay on twice a week washes instead trying to stretch.

Hmm. Have you tried reconstructive masks? Maybe they are needing protein?

ccsdg
March 16th, 2021, 07:30 PM
I skip days according to laziness... otherwise I went back to washing every day. But only really working into the top of my head... the rest I keep braided during the wash, shampoo touches it but not intensively worked through. Is braided washing a thing? I use a very small amount of water/conditioner in the morning, not rinsed out, before I brush it for the day. Just a standard conditioner. Is that a thing too? Does it count as less frequent washing because the shampoo is only 1/5th of my hair and conditioner is when it's mostly dry?

(Some context: Our area was in a drought for a while, we were told to keep showers to 4 minutes long.)

Bri-Chan
March 16th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Hmm. Have you tried reconstructive masks? Maybe they are needing protein?

I already do. But I'm wondering if I need a thicker leave in conditioner (I apply it after washing and in general when I feel it dry).

JasminxCat
March 16th, 2021, 11:05 PM

Yes same here. I get more moisture from conditioning on wash days but I'm never able to retain that moisture long enough to make a point out of stretching washes, and the longer I wait, the frizzier and dryer it gets. Not only that, but my scalp stays happier with regular washing. It's because we have high porosity hair types (assuming you do because I can relate) so moisture absorbs easily, but is also lost easily. I would try sealing your leave ins with a non penetrating oil that sits as a sealant e.g. jojoba oil, works well for me after leave ins

Also, on days when I feel I would rather not strip my hair with shampoo, I'll co-wash then finish with an ACV rinse (without washing out) as ACV helps mitigate the effects of high porosity hair, sealing the cuticle

Chromis
March 16th, 2021, 11:26 PM
I did the opposite! I grew up washing once a week and then after I moved out from home when I was much younger, I got it into my head that people were "supposed" to wash it daily? My poor scalp hated it and I landed up going back to about weekly and it is closer to monthly right now. I do wash the rest of me daily or so though since I must admit that part felt quite nice! My skin doesn't quite agree and I still have to stretch washes in summer when water is scarce. (We do a lot of lake swimming then!)

Bri-Chan
March 17th, 2021, 02:27 AM
Yes same here. I get more moisture from conditioning on wash days but I'm never able to retain that moisture long enough to make a point out of stretching washes, and the longer I wait, the frizzier and dryer it gets. Not only that, but my scalp stays happier with regular washing. It's because we have high porosity hair types (assuming you do because I can relate) so moisture absorbs easily, but is also lost easily. I would try sealing your leave ins with a non penetrating oil that sits as a sealant e.g. jojoba oil, works well for me after leave ins

Also, on days when I feel I would rather not strip my hair with shampoo, I'll co-wash then finish with an ACV rinse (without washing out) as ACV helps mitigate the effects of high porosity hair, sealing the cuticle

Yes, I have high porosity hair! Not only because I've bleached hair, but also my virgin hair "seems" high porosity... I should try the oil! I usually use a gel or a mousse for styling that obviously doesn't help.
I did the ACV final rinse for years in the past, then I realized it made my hair heavy. But I've never tried it at this amount of damage... Also, I don't know, I have the sensation that my hair in general had a lower porosity when I was younger.

baanoo
March 17th, 2021, 05:19 AM

I don't wash more frequently because of the lengths, but I baby the lengths if my scalp still looks good. I usually wash twice a week, and most days add a little avocado oil to the last ~8-10" - I use a heavy leave-in and coney serum combo and that has been working well for me.

knobbly
March 17th, 2021, 05:39 AM
I don't wash more frequently because of the lengths, but I baby the lengths if my scalp still looks good. I usually wash twice a week, and most days add a little avocado oil to the last ~8-10" - I use a heavy leave-in and coney serum combo and that has been working well for me.

What leave-in do you use?

baanoo
March 17th, 2021, 02:21 PM
What leave-in do you use?

Right now I'm using L'oreal total repair leave-in 5 plus a John Frieda frizzease serum "for coarse and curly hair" (lol yes, that's me, manifesting my dream hair over here)

knobbly
March 17th, 2021, 02:48 PM
Right now I'm using L'oreal total repair leave-in 5 plus a John Frieda frizzease serum "for coarse and curly hair" (lol yes, that's me, manifesting my dream hair over here)

Hahaha I feel you. I used curly girl stuff for ages and now I’m finally just accepting that especially if I want to keep it long, it will never be anything but straight.

baanoo
March 17th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Hahaha I feel you. I used curly girl stuff for ages and now I’m finally just accepting that especially if I want to keep it long, it will never be anything but straight.

But it’s a glorious straightness you have!

knobbly
March 17th, 2021, 07:12 PM
But it’s a glorious straightness you have!

Yeah now that I’ve accepted it I love it. It does take curl and wave well, so all I really need to achieve porn star bed head volume is to keep it up in a twisted cinnabun all day and then spritz some hairspray in it when I take it down.

xkambyx
March 18th, 2021, 10:25 AM
This is what I find so fascinating about reading the threads... Everyone's hair is so different!! I used to wash my hair everyday then it'd be ever couple of days... Its only in the past year or 2 that I've naturally stretched out washes and my hair is loving it... Right now I can't see me going back as its not what my hair wants but from reading the threads this may change!

Siv
March 18th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Meh, I tried stretching washes for awhile to see if it agreed with me, but it didn't so I went back to frequent(er) washing, about every 2-3 days I'd say. Stretching made my scalp ache and triggered tension headaches.

SnowSpot
March 18th, 2021, 11:33 AM
A fine thin hair and oily scalp here. It seems that however long I try to stretch the washes the scalp just doesn't care. It gets just as oily as ever. I haven't used shampoo for almost 8 years now but I do clarify with diluted baking soda from time to time (once in every 2 or 3 months, though I feel I should be doing that a bit more often) because our well water is filled with iron. For about 5 years I've been washing 1-2 times a week, but currently I feel I should be washing 3 times a week. But I never do, at least in the winter, because we don't have a shower in the house, only sauna outdoors. So, basically, I have thought of going back to more frequent washing but haven't actually done it. :D

Trip
March 18th, 2021, 12:04 PM
Since I cut bangs (dumb decision) I've had to pick up more washes to not look like a sewer rat how fast they get oily. Been trying to stick with the bore bristle and tough it out but had to resort to more frequent most of the time. My scalp's been drying because of it :/

Ylva
March 18th, 2021, 01:00 PM
A fine thin hair and oily scalp here. It seems that however long I try to stretch the washes the scalp just doesn't care. It gets just as oily as ever. I haven't used shampoo for almost 8 years now but I do clarify with diluted baking soda from time to time (once in every 2 or 3 months, though I feel I should be doing that a bit more often) because our well water is filled with iron. For about 5 years I've been washing 1-2 times a week, but currently I feel I should be washing 3 times a week. But I never do, at least in the winter, because we don't have a shower in the house, only sauna outdoors. So, basically, I have thought of going back to more frequent washing but haven't actually done it. :D

Baking soda is very damaging to the skin and hair because of its high pH, and it doesn't have any particular cleansing properties. Here (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2018/01/healing-hair-damaging-no-poo-baking-soda-washes/)'s more information about it. But of course, if you are aware of this information and still want to do it, it's totally up to you. :) Just thought to mention in case!

Simsy
March 19th, 2021, 06:53 AM
I’m basically a fortnightly washer these days, mostly because of work. I wash on the weekends that I’m at home, and my preferred schedule of weekly washing just isn’t possible all the time at the moment.

With that said, I’ve found I really need to not touch my hair at all for the 2nd week. It’s oily and tends to feel gunky if I try anything more than simple buns that can hold for a long time. I braid it so it doesn’t tangle too badly and it’s fine, it works well enough. But those weeks when I can wash at the 6-8 day mark are actually heaven. My hair is oily but still easy to handle, the wash doesn’t require the heavier shampoos and I can even consider a CO wash or overnight treatment if things are really running to plan.

SnowSpot
March 19th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Baking soda is very damaging to the skin and hair because of its high pH, and it doesn't have any particular cleansing properties. Here (https://nightbloominggarden.com/2018/01/healing-hair-damaging-no-poo-baking-soda-washes/)'s more information about it. But of course, if you are aware of this information and still want to do it, it's totally up to you. :) Just thought to mention in case!

Thank you for this, Ylva! I did know that it is super damaging if used often but I didn't know all the details. And I also knew that some people using it weekly have an affection in they scalp. Hmm, I wonder what is the effect it has on hair that has a lot of iron build-up, if that makes it any less horrible... my hair is so thin and our water is super soft so it makes my hair - yes, very soft, but also flat and stringy, not flowy. But, with this new and more precise information, I will think about this more. And maybe my experiments with salt spray will lead to some good results in the near future anyway. :)