PDA

View Full Version : Shed hairs from combing/brushing is different length than shed hairs from shampooing?

JCM
February 20th, 2014, 11:43 PM
When I comb or brush my hair my shed hairs (9 times out of 10) are the actual length of my hair length which right now is approaching the middle of my back.

My shed hairs after shampooing my hair are all different lengths from half an inch to the actual length of my hair and everything in between.

Why do my hair shed lengths differ when combing/brushing and when shampooing?

divinedobbie
February 21st, 2014, 12:06 AM
Check the ends of your hair for a small white bulb which would be the hair root. This means your hair has naturally shed.

If the shorter hairs you are shedding do not have the root, that means they are breaking off. It seems weird to me the shorter hairs would fall out during your shower. I would normally think they'd be breaking off while youre combing your hair because of mechanical damage rather than when you are washing. Are you rough when washing or do you manipulate your hair a lot when washing? Since hair is weakest when wet, maybe any movements during washing are damaging enough to break off fragile hair even if it seems you are being gentle.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

JCM
February 21st, 2014, 12:31 AM
Right now I go to a salon for shampooing because it is more convenient for me with my constantly changing schedule.
They are not rough on my scalp from what I can tell while I am seated in the shampoo chair.

Thankfully all of the ends of my shed hairs have the small white bulb on them.

Firefox7275
February 21st, 2014, 08:00 AM
Your head hairs are not all one length: they are in various growth cycles, if you have a blunt cut the underlayers are shorter than the canopy. Agree check for root bulbs, also consider when both shampooing and brushing all your head is getting equal attention, many people focus on the sections they can see in the mirror and access with their hands. This nay require sectioning. Some feel certain cleansing products increase shedding of hairs prematurely - this varies from person to person, everything from sulphate shampoos to co-washing have been implicated.