PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Hair Guru says Long Hair is not versatile- Prove him wrong!

hypersensitive
February 20th, 2014, 11:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWU-_iZnOrY

Theodore Leaf on Youtube, a Hollywood hair stylist advises a viewer to cut her belly button hair because he says that length is not versatile to work with.

Who here would like to disagree with him!!

Tell him in the comments how much fun long hair is, and how much more we can do with it!

MinderMutsig
February 21st, 2014, 01:17 AM
Opinions are like ... ;)
I do like his advise about the face framing layers. I agree with him that it looks silly if they layer the entire front section. Doing just the top layer makes much more sense.

mz_butterfly
February 21st, 2014, 01:24 AM
With a statement or self given title like that, he obviously thinks higher of himself than he really is. He doesn't deserve the title of Hair Guru. Blower of hot air maybe, but not Hair Guru! Not for nothing, but his hair looks like Johnny Bravo stuck his finger in a light socket, and what is the guy.....20? He isn't a Guru of anything at his young age.

lapushka
February 21st, 2014, 02:22 AM
With a statement or self given title like that, he obviously thinks higher of himself than he really is. He doesn't deserve the title of Hair Guru. Blower of hot air maybe, but not Hair Guru! Not for nothing, but his hair looks like Johnny Bravo stuck his finger in a light socket, and what is the guy.....20? He isn't a Guru of anything at his young age.

Totally agree with this! ^^

Dziip
February 21st, 2014, 03:00 AM
I just don't agree about the age thing.
It's not an ABSOLUTE criteria, I think.
But he is no real guru for me neither.

Ticky
February 21st, 2014, 03:33 AM
I am pretty sure he is a ''hair guru'' because every beauty person on Youtube is called a guru. Could be wrong.

Also, since he is a hair stylist, of course he would rather suggest haircuts and styling as opposed to keeping it to one's belly button in protective styles. It's trendy and people who want his advice probably want a (trendy) change, although I do not agree with him. She doesn't have to run outside and chop her hair off just because of what he said. After all, it's just his opinion. (Colors and cuts bring money, too.)

Different strokes, different folks.

MissBubble
February 21st, 2014, 04:40 AM
I laughed so much... :D

milque
February 21st, 2014, 04:52 AM
I am pretty sure he is a ''hair guru'' because every beauty person on Youtube is called a guru. Could be wrong.

Also, since he is a hair stylist, of course he would rather suggest haircuts and styling as opposed to keeping it to one's belly button in protective styles. It's trendy and people who want his advice probably want a (trendy) change, although I do not agree with him. She doesn't have to run outside and chop her hair off just because of what he said. After all, it's just his opinion. (Colors and cuts bring money, too.)

Different strokes, different folks.

This ^^

While I don't agree that belly button length hair is not versatile, I think his opinion is tailored to the trendy types who follow Hollywood styles, which doesn't usually resonate with LHC advice. That's his viewership and it works for them.

Saying that, I like what he said about the layers and the fringe.

XcaliburGirl
February 21st, 2014, 05:25 AM
I couldn't bring myself to watch any further than "Hey dolls... " :rolleyes:

door72067
February 21st, 2014, 06:05 AM
I couldn't bring myself to watch any further than "Hey dolls... " :rolleyes:

quoted for truth

RapunzelKat
February 21st, 2014, 07:13 AM
I have to admit, he pretty much lost me at the title, "Should I cut my hair like Kim Kardashian?" Um, no... Not ever :lol: Not for me!

From the bit I watched though, it sounds like the girl wanted to cut her hair, so I expect his advice on layers was sound. :) I had layers when my hair was much shorter and quite liked them.

But as far as long hair not being versatile? I think this guy needs to watch a few torrinpaige videos. :D

Firefox7275
February 21st, 2014, 07:45 AM
If he was a genuine hair guru he would have sufficient knowledge and imagination to be able to style waist length hair in a variety of ways. Bet he calls naturally wavy and curly hair 'frizzy' too, translating as "I have no idea what I am doing".

Edit: "I had a neighbour like this once" .... Seriously is that the only 'super long' hair he has worked with?

spidermom
February 21st, 2014, 08:01 AM
When my hair was super-long, my husband commented that there were only 2 things I could do with it: pull it back or leave it down.

Now that I'm keeping it shorter, I'm not so paranoid about possible damage, and there are more things I can do with it - blow it straight, use the hot rollers and curl it, plus - of course - pull it back or leave it down.

Nightshade
February 21st, 2014, 08:16 AM
I'm sorry, I can't take anyone seriously, much less a self-proclaimed "Hair Guru" who has chosen to rock duck butt hair and then condemn anyone else for picking long hair :P

Madora
February 21st, 2014, 08:17 AM
Some "guru"!! I wouldn't trust him to groom a stuffed horse. I left a comment for him.

chen bao jun
February 21st, 2014, 08:40 AM
I'm not his target audience.
I'm his grandma (figuratively speaking) so of course I think he's an idiot but I wouldn't bother to leave him a comment or view him, it's giving him too much attention, in my opinion.
Hopefully one day he will grow up.
His audience certainly will.

milque
February 21st, 2014, 08:50 AM
I'm not his target audience.

Most people on LHC aren't, hence the negative reaction to his video on here. I personally don't mind it, and for some people what he says works for them.

PrincessIdril
February 21st, 2014, 08:58 AM
Why are people so annoyed at him calling himself a "Hair Guru"? Any youtubers who do beauty related vids are called "_____ guru", that's just how the youtube community works.

MeAndTheMaz
February 21st, 2014, 09:01 AM
A guy with a do like he's got going probably shouldn't be giving advice on hair. He looks like he's stuck in a wind tunnel.

Nightshade
February 21st, 2014, 09:02 AM
Why are people so annoyed at him calling himself a "Hair Guru"? Any youtubers who do beauty related vids are called "_____ guru", that's just how the youtube community works.

Mostly because it's self-aggrandizing. And while there is some quality content on YouTube, for the most part it's 90% derp.

Emmental
February 21st, 2014, 10:03 AM
I'm not a long hair-or-die type of person, but I do think long hair is far more versatile than short(er) hair. It may not be as modern, but it is more versatile.

Mostly because it's self-aggrandizing. And while there is some quality content on YouTube, for the most part it's 90% derp.

Someone can correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but I believe when YouTube was new-ish, YouTube gave the designation of "guru" and even though they removed it, the term stuck.

Madora
February 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
A guy with a do like he's got going probably shouldn't be giving advice on hair. He looks like he's stuck in a wind tunnel.

^^^ Made my day! Thanks for the chuckle, MeAndTheMaz!

Agnes Hannah
February 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM
ha ha more like hair grrrr than hair guru.

tlover
February 22nd, 2014, 05:20 AM
maybe someone should Point him in torrin paige's direction

woodswanderer
February 22nd, 2014, 06:41 AM
Glad to hear my hair is even longer than "super super super long" apparently. He hasn't a clue.

LaFlor
February 22nd, 2014, 07:38 AM
Coincidentally, I also have a neighbor like this. Seriously, she has hip length hair (all one length), only knows one hairstyle (high pony), and was always complaining:
"I want to change my hair but I don't want to cut it off."
"I don't know if I should get layers (or highlights, or bangs, or color, or a perm, etc.)"
"I don't know what to do with my hair."

I tried pointing her to LHC and threw some ideas at her about trying a braid or a bun or some other style. I even curled her hair for her one time, but she was stuck in the mindset of "I can't do ANYTHING with my hair, poor me and my long hair." *whine whine whine*

Some people just don't get it :shrug:. That was like 3 years ago and she still has the same hair and sports the same high pony :lol:.

That said, I'm not a fan of the guy in the video.

sourgrl
February 22nd, 2014, 04:27 PM
This was me before I found LHC. I was clueless about the many different bun and braid possibilities. This lack of knowledge seems common place unless you stumble upon it or seek it out. Now that I know I have so many options I share with any one that will listen!

Coincidentally, I also have a neighbor like this. Seriously, she has hip length hair (all one length), only knows one hairstyle (high pony), and was always complaining:
"I want to change my hair but I don't want to cut it off."
"I don't know if I should get layers (or highlights, or bangs, or color, or a perm, etc.)"
"I don't know what to do with my hair."

I tried pointing her to LHC and threw some ideas at her about trying a braid or a bun or some other style. I even curled her hair for her one time, but she was stuck in the mindset of "I can't do ANYTHING with my hair, poor me and my long hair." *whine whine whine*

Some people just don't get it :shrug:. That was like 3 years ago and she still has the same hair and sports the same high pony :lol:.

That said, I'm not a fan of the guy in the video.

Kimberly
February 22nd, 2014, 05:15 PM
That guy can't be a real guru until he's made a thousand quality posts! ;)

MeAndTheMaz
February 22nd, 2014, 05:23 PM
That guy can't be a real guru until he's made a thousand quality posts! ;)

And so far, I'd say he's at exactly zero.

ErinLeigh
February 23rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
When my hair was super-long, my husband commented that there were only 2 things I could do with it: pull it back or leave it down.

Now that I'm keeping it shorter, I'm not so paranoid about possible damage, and there are more things I can do with it - blow it straight, use the hot rollers and curl it, plus - of course - pull it back or leave it down.

I have heard what your husband said so many times when asking stylists or friends about growing out hair. They say you can only wear it UP (can mean anything) or DOWN (which is inferred as "hanging there") Although hair lovers can see the differences in all the various buns and braids, to most folks that is all in the category of UP and is all the same look.
--------------------------------------------------------
TBH, I think most ALL cuts offer the exact same versatility. With any cut, if you are willing..you can curl, straighten, crimp, color, change the part, wear up, wear down. It is the same for all cuts - super short pixies excluded. I just don't understand what else you can do? You can do these things at SL or TBL. Even chin or long pixies can be pinned back for an UP look. Too me it is all the same. Length is a personal preference. Maybe to keep a certain length you limit yourself from certain styles by choice? But you could if you wanted to, do any of the versatile styles.

MaryMarx
February 23rd, 2014, 02:48 AM
^ I agree, stop calling women 'dolls'!

SleepyTangles
February 23rd, 2014, 04:34 AM
My hair needs to grow a lor more before being at bellybutton lenght :D!
When my hair was shoulder lenght I had three hairstyles to choose from, in the morning: a) loose hair; b) low ponytail; c) high ponytail.
The a) option had 3 variants: a1) loose and natural; a2) loose and flat ironed (not good, for a bunch of reasons!); a3) loose and scrunched up with mousse to make it more curly/wavy.
I didn't feel like I had many option, to be honest. If you don't want to tease, fluff, pin it into the desired shape every morning, its not versatile at all.
Now I'm still low maintenance, but my go-to hairstyles surely have increased dramatically.

walterSCAN
February 23rd, 2014, 08:33 AM
I have heard what your husband said so many times when asking stylists or friends about growing out hair. They say you can only wear it UP (can mean anything) or DOWN (which is inferred as "hanging there") Although hair lovers can see the differences in all the various buns and braids, to most folks that is all in the category of UP and is all the same look.
--------------------------------------------------------
TBH, I think most ALL cuts offer the exact same versatility. With any cut, if you are willing..you can curl, straighten, crimp, color, change the part, wear up, wear down. It is the same for all cuts - super short pixies excluded. I just don't understand what else you can do? You can do these things at SL or TBL. Even chin or long pixies can be pinned back for an UP look. Too me it is all the same. Length is a personal preference. Maybe to keep a certain length you limit yourself from certain styles by choice? But you could if you wanted to, do any of the versatile styles.

This is always how I've thought about it, too-- unless it's a very short cut, if you have hair you have two options: UP or DOWN. Length doesn't really enter into it, once you have enough length to bobby pin back somehow or another. :shrug:

^ I agree, stop calling women 'dolls'!

Ugh, yes! This too!

Bloom
February 23rd, 2014, 01:50 PM
I mean, I kind of get what he's saying. In a society where girls love to blow-fry, curl, straighten, bleach, and dye their hair, long hair isn't the best option for conventional hairstyling. But long hair is definitely versatile! This guy has no idea how cool long hair can be, without any heat or damage at all. I've been amazed at the half-ups and buns I've seen on long hair forums, and there are endless possibilities.

lapushka
February 23rd, 2014, 03:05 PM
OMG he didn't just say "hey dolls" at the beginning, no he proceeded with keeping it up. Yuuuuuuu*U*ck!

ErinLeigh
February 23rd, 2014, 07:08 PM
Dolls has annoyed me ever since the Kardashians tried to make it happen. Hey Doll. Hi Doll. What's up Doll? Ugh.

Kristabeth96
February 23rd, 2014, 08:34 PM
Call me crazy but a hair guru saying long hair isn't versatile is like a sword master saying the only good sword is an English long sword or a World wide famous chef saying the only food worth cooking is Italian. Why call yourself a hair guru if you can't make the best of all hair?

LauraLongLocks
February 23rd, 2014, 08:53 PM
I couldn't stomach his voice, or his dialect. I do agree with his advice about not taking off the corners when doing face-framing layers. I left a comment about hair becoming more versatile as it becomes longer.

kaydana
February 24th, 2014, 03:15 AM
I'm not an emotionless, dull piece of plastic whose sole purpose is to be dressed up by other people, so I don't care about fashion advice for "dolls". I especially don't care about fashion advice from the sorts of people who call other people dolls.

Maybe long hair isn't versatile for dolls, I wouldn't know. It sure is versatile for human beings though.

NoRush
February 24th, 2014, 04:29 AM
I'm going to tell him no such thing because I don't feel like it's necessary to defend or impose my hair choices, he's hardly the one with the truth in his hands after all and neither are we.

Firefox7275
February 24th, 2014, 04:40 AM
I mean, I kind of get what he's saying. In a society where girls love to blow-fry, curl, straighten, bleach, and dye their hair, long hair isn't the best option for conventional hairstyling. But long hair is definitely versatile! This guy has no idea how cool long hair can be, without any heat or damage at all. I've been amazed at the half-ups and buns I've seen on long hair forums, and there are endless possibilities.

A huge amount of what a stylist does is damaging to hair, even some cutting methods (eg razoring) which we think of as beneficial in removing severe damage. By and large they aren't healthy hair oracles, knowledgeable on common ingredients/ long hair care/ curly hair care etc. I'm not overly impressed by the basic professional training in the UK or US, and I lack respect for many stylists as a result. It's a shame more don't engage in continuing professional development, plenty of info online for those who want it.