PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Anti - dandruff shampoo completely changed my hair texture! Is this normal?

Luna12345
February 20th, 2014, 05:10 PM
Hi, I have been experiencing an oily scalp for the past couple months, I mean severely oily to the point that daily washing wasn't helping so I figured I need to get a special shampoo. I have very thick curly hair which is dry, it's only my scalp that's been oily.
i bought a shampoo which is an imitation of Selsun blue but it's the life brand. It contains 2.5 % Selenium Sulfide.
I noticed when I was using it that it smelled like Nair (the hair removal cream.) and when I got out of the shower and started combing my hair I realized the texture is completely changed....especially the top of my hair, closer to the scalp...it's like I have a good 4 or 5 cm of almost completely straight hair....heck I don't mind cuz it will help cut blow drying time but I really don't think
think this is normal. ...is it? I mean my hair still smells like Nair and I'm just afraid that if i continue to use this my hair might start falling out or something. Has anyone had a similar experience with anti dandruff shampoo?

Luna12345
February 20th, 2014, 05:12 PM
I bleach my hair, could this also have something to do with the texture change?

Firefox7275
February 20th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Bleaching and heat damage can both affect curl pattern. Dandruff shampoos are generally for mild seborrhoeic dermatitis, not simple excess sebum production - they tend to be pretty harsh since sebum feeds the yeast that is implicated in SD. Anything that harsh can damage hair especially if it is already weakened.

Try being gentler on your hair and skin, the scalp can end up pumping out more sebum in a desperate attempt to protect itself from chemical attack. Be sure to treat your scalp from the inside with a nutrient dense very low glycaemic index diet.

Ingredients beneficial for damaged hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol.