PDA

View Full Version : Rapunzel, Rapunzel!

threadOfGold
February 20th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I have been watching tangled every day for about a month. (yep) So on one of these days it occurred to me that:
If I happened to be in a very tall tower, and prince charming came to rescue me and asked me to chuck all my hair down, instead of romantically gliding up strong silky hair he would end up in a heap on the floor surrounded by my clip in extensions. So then I decided, it's time to grow my hair.
Maybe not 70 ft long. But still.

Since that day I'd been your typical wash every morning, blow drying, curling, bleaching girl, and I was pretty happy. My hair would stay at one length but I didn't really mind because I just clipped in my extensions and my perfect length was instantly achieved. Until two weeks ago when I put a stop to it ALL and started my long hair journey.

my rules are as follows:

[*=center]No heat
[*=center]multi vitamins daily

[*=center]wash every two days

[*=center]no brushing when wet

[*=center]Only washing with cold water

[*=center]drinking lots of water

[*=center]no dying

[*=center]no trimming

[*=center]weekly oil masks

And ooooh was it HARD. Finding ways to make my hair look half decent after being so used to styling it daily took some getting used to. It's now two weeks later and I'm seeing a difference in thickness already. Let it grow!
P.s: I won't be letting any strange men climb up my hair don't panic. Think of that BREAKAGE.

So my question is: why did you decide to start your long hair journey?
Elle x

Madora
February 20th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I fell in love with those beautiful (false) auburn braids of Judy Garland in "The Wizard of Oz" back in 1958. However, my real hair journey began in 1960 when I read my first article on Dr. George Michael, "Czar of Long Hair". I was hooked!

tlover
February 20th, 2014, 02:31 PM
hmmm I have had "long hair" from I was about twelve (about APL back then) But I started to care about my hair and wanted to really grow it ot this january when I was trying to find ways to wash my hair withot Chemicals and I was directed here from a Swedish hair forum.

I started Reading, started to take more care of my hair and suddenly I started to love my hair.

So my "start" was at 98 cm/38,6 inches just past TBL but I Count it as my start since from "half long" to now I have hated my hair and I have not taken care of it at all.

(I also loves tangled)

Nadine <3
February 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM
I got a choppy, layered cut because the lady at the salon said it would "give my thin hair volume and movement" and she highly recommended I take off more than I wanted to because fine, thin hair can't grow long. I hated the cut, it flipped out everywhere and I couldn't make it look right without a blow fryer and even then, it still flipped out weird and my fragile ends went frizzy and crispy from all the blow drying. I swore off going having short hair. Anyone can have long pretty hair, even if it is thin!

arelrios
February 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I got a choppy, layered cut because the lady at the salon said it would "give my thin hair volume and movement" and she highly recommended I take off more than I wanted to because fine, thin hair can't grow long. I hated the cut, it flipped out everywhere and I couldn't make it look right without a blow fryer and even then, it still flipped out weird and my fragile ends went frizzy and crispy from all the blow drying. I swore off going having short hair. Anyone can have long pretty hair, even if it is thin!

This haircut happened to me in October 2011 .... I had past BSL hair ... the lady left me with super layered collarbone hair... my hair is coarse and frizzy ... so.... I promised myself that I would never go back to that hairdresser or a scissors happy hairdressers again :run: ... since then I've been trimming my own hair... and letting it grow... I hope to reach waist someday... :eyebrows::joy::pray:

LMB
February 20th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I've always had hair past my shoulders and I always dated guys who liked long hair so I kept it long.
My hair always seemed to grow to BSL, the ends would look 'ratty' and I'd get it cut to APL and start the cycle again!
I actually found the site when I did a search for Nioxin for my fine hair, and lurked for just over a year before I really started reading and taking some of the advice. I then lurked for longer before actually joining!
To me, long hair is very feminine (not saying that shorter hair isn't; i know lots of people who have, and suit shorter hair, it just doesn't not suit me at all) and I have a very 'girly' kind of style so I figured if I was going to have long hair then I wanted it to look as healthy as it can be.

YamaMaya
February 20th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I've always had my hair long, but it was a horrible frizzy mess because my mother didn't know how to care for it. I eventually got a short cut just because I fancied it for a change, but I soon fell out of love with short hair and the upkeep. I also dabbled in bleach with disasterous results, and decided I wanted my long hair back, so I started my journey in 2008 by first cutting out all the awful damage, then started my growing in earnest in 2009, but I got scissor happy and gave myself some face framing layers, and never really let my bangs from my short cut grow out, but when I found LHC I decided on a new goal, to grow out all my hair to classic length, and I've gotten the longest part of my hair to waist, still a long way to go.

Tini'sNewHair
February 20th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Haha good to know that you wont let strange good looking man climb on your hair :p. Ive always grown my hair to long, short and long again - ive had it at possibly classic length, lots of times at hip, waist etc. I call that experimenting and om glad I did it but now I want it long indefinitely. I think long hair suits me so much better, I love the way it looks, I like takig care of my hsir because it relaxes me. I love my virgin hair :)

divinedobbie
February 20th, 2014, 06:57 PM

This haircut happened to me in October 2011 .... I had past BSL hair ... the lady left me with super layered collarbone hair... my hair is coarse and frizzy ... so.... I promised myself that I would never go back to that hairdresser or a scissors happy hairdressers again :run: ... since then I've been trimming my own hair... and letting it grow... I hope to reach waist someday... :eyebrows::joy::pray:

This happened to me too. Honestly, what fine haired person does this not happen to? :eek: It almost seems like hairdressers are taught that the only way to cut fine hair is to hack layers into it.

So why did I decide to grow long hair? Well I have always admired it and wanted long hair of my own. I was always trying to grow it out but didn't realize how much damage I was doing by washing every day, sulfates, damaging hair dos, mechanical damage, etc not to mention my heat and dye phase so when I found LHC, I found the support and information I need to seriously begin growing out my hair.

HazelBug
February 20th, 2014, 11:45 PM
I've gone back and fourth between growing my hair long and chopping it all off. Every time I chop it I regret it. I hope I've finally learned! The thing that made me really want long hair was a girl I saw in my walking pe class (yes I took walking for pe. I enjoyed being the fittest person in the class and lapping everyone. In a regular type of pe I would have been the slow kid). This girl had classic length brown hair. I loved walking behind her and watching her hair. it was super pretty!

ArienEllariel
February 21st, 2014, 12:26 AM
I've vowed to not cut my hair for 3-5 years. It'll be interesting to see how long it gets in that timeframe. (s&d is allowed but no real "trims") Rapunzels unite!

Haybop
February 21st, 2014, 01:48 AM
I spent 16+ years with my hair never venturing below chin (or if it did brush my shoulders it didn't last for long) so, just over a year ago now, I decided I wanted to see how long my hair would grow. The idea of being able to do more with my hair than simply attempt to coax it into spikes (too thick to hold so that failed) and the fact I always love historical & fantasy dramas and the hair in that is just amazing.... so grow it is :D

Wosie
February 21st, 2014, 03:27 AM
Hmm, I haven't really thought much about the reason to why I want long hair, but... I guess it's 'cause I was long haired for all my childhood and I really miss many aspects of my childhood, so I want a part (or reminder) of it back. I don't know. I also love the look of long hair in general, it can be so romantic... Long, wavy, golden hair is my dream. :love: Sounds much like Rapunzel, eh?
I'm also curious about how long I can get my hair before it starts tapering overly much, that'll indeed be interesting. It's been so long since I last had really long hair (at least 12 years), so there's a possibility it'll look way different now.

milque
February 21st, 2014, 08:56 AM
I've never had hair longer than MBL before, and then I saw a certain YouTuber who has gorgeous long black hair and since then I have aspired to get that length while maintaining the health of it.

goldenlady
February 21st, 2014, 10:51 AM
I had long hair as a child, which I then cut into a bob at about 12. I hated it and have not had it short since.. My reason for wanting ultra long hair is definitely Tangled! A child I was babysitting told me I look like her and so that made me want my hair even longer! Rapunzels unite!

GoddesJourney
February 21st, 2014, 07:29 PM
I always had it between APL and maybe just past waist. About a year and a half ago I cut it off to just shorter than it is now, hated it, then cut it to maybe two inches the most. That was cool for two or three weeks and miserable ever since. I always meant to grow to maybe TBL but something would always get in the way. For example, I bleached it like crazy for a year or two as a teenager so I could dye it crayola colors. It stopped growing faster than it was breaking so I grew it all out to virgin BSL. I guess long hair is part of my identity. I love my poofy mane and it looks weird when it's short. I have always loved my hair and I suppose that is one of my few arguably feminine traits. It's beautiful and makes me feel beautiful. I love how it grazes my back. I love having a long braid. I love the weight of it when it's down. I love the many colors and textures of my mixed genetic roots and the wild feel it has when I leave it untamed. Also, I love how incredibly easy it is to have it long, cut it myself, and never bother to style it. :)

It doesn't behave anyway so I might as well let it be natural and do what it wants. ;)

Wosie
February 22nd, 2014, 03:16 AM
It doesn't behave anyway so I might as well let it be natural and do what it wants. ;)

I like this quote! This is exactly how I'm treating my hair these days as well--just letting it be and allow it to do its thing. My hair is very floofy and stubborn but at the same time I guess you can say that it is lively and not just lying there without a movement. It has a strong 'personality'. ;)

Federica
February 22nd, 2014, 03:59 AM
I've always had this thing about long hair since I was a child.
My mom used to cut it in a layered bob with fringe that looked horrible to my curly hair. I had soooo much hair envy to one schoolmate who had this amazing hip lenght ginger hair, so I decided that I wanted my hair to grow as long as I could.
First chop was several years later, during the first year of middleschool. A total genius in my class decided to cut off literally my entire tbl braid in one single cut with some massive gardener scissors for no reason.
So I grew it back again for 8 years, gone past classic and had some bleaching accidents when I was 20 and I had to cut it to shoulder.
Now I'm back to almost-hip lenght and, well, learned my lessons:
no heat
no chemicals
no loose braids while some idiot is hanging around with huge scissors
no hairstylists, like, never more

Generally put my hair up and wait, wash once a week and trim twice a year.

Mnementh
February 22nd, 2014, 04:48 AM
Here's my story from a mans point of view.

I have always admired long hair and all the coolest guys I saw had it like pirates and bikers. I kept my hair short as most lads do, to avoid it turning into a dry curly frizzy mess and to avoid all the negative comments.
As I grew up I started noticing ladies with gorgeous long hair, waist length and beyond which really sparked my interest in very long hair.

In September 2012 I started college and used this as a 'new start' and decided not to cut my hair. My original goal was to be able to tie it in a pony tail. I hit this goal and thought ' my hair is still short'.
I am now nearing APL and I love my hair more the longer it gets.
Everyone on here has such beautiful hair I want some of my own.

Interestingly, now it is long I get very little comments on it. And I feel more like myself with long hair. Makes me regret not growing it sooner, but at least I got there eventually.

To waist length and beyond!

woodswanderer
February 22nd, 2014, 06:49 AM
Hrmmm, I've always had long hair, so my journey has been about improving the quality of my hair, and the trials have been more about products my hair didn't like. Glad you were inspired to grow your hair.

mindwiped
February 22nd, 2014, 07:15 AM
I've always had this thing about long hair since I was a child.
My mom used to cut it in a layered bob with fringe that looked horrible to my curly hair. I had soooo much hair envy to one schoolmate who had this amazing hip lenght ginger hair, so I decided that I wanted my hair to grow as long as I could.
First chop was several years later, during the first year of middleschool. A total genius in my class decided to cut off literally my entire tbl braid in one single cut with some massive gardener scissors for no reason.
So I grew it back again for 8 years, gone past classic and had some bleaching accidents when I was 20 and I had to cut it to shoulder.
Now I'm back to almost-hip lenght and, well, learned my lessons:
no heat
no chemicals
no loose braids while some idiot is hanging around with huge scissors
no hairstylists, like, never more

Generally put my hair up and wait, wash once a week and trim twice a year.

I would have cold cocked that idiot! Whatever anybody thinks about someone's hair, they have no right to cut it against the wishes of the person who's hair it is. I did see a jerky classmate trim another classmate's hair with an exacto knife. I completely and regretfully ratted him out...he wasn't the type to be carrying an exacto knife responsibly anyways.

Lostsoule77
February 22nd, 2014, 09:27 AM
I've had long (bsl +) hair almost my whole life. Partly because of my mom and partly because I liked how it set me apart. I think of it as my prettiest cosmetic attribute. As a child my mom always trimmed my hair and then my sister did. When my sister moved away it just tended to get longer. Then I found this site a couple times while searching for different things and decided to actively grown it longer and healthier. So partly circumstances, partly laziness, and partly vanity I guess. :hmm:

pixldust
February 22nd, 2014, 10:06 AM
I cut my hair into a pixie when I was 16 and dyed it with permanent dye (purple) for the first time. From then on I dyed my hair every month without fail. My poor hair never had any time off from chemicals for about 14 years. As you can imagine, that coupled with bad hair practices and a general 'couldn't care less' attitude towards it resulted in my hair being in seriously bad condition. I yo-yo'd between crops and shoulder length during that time, believing that my hair would never grow because it was too fine, listening to hairdressers telling me the same, while secretly yearning for long hair. Then last summer, after spending ages looking on the net for help and advice on how to get your hair to grow, I decided to go cold turkey on the dye. At first, nobody believed that I would do it. Not even me! But I'm 8 months dye-free and that, combined with the excellent advice on here, has resulted in my hair being in its best condition for years. And it's past my shoulders and still growing. So take that, hairdressers who told me that you can't have long, fine hair! I'll see you when I'm at waist. Or longer :D

longishhair
February 22nd, 2014, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

I started because I love my hair and want more of it :)
People tend to comment on it all the time - how beautiful it is, how I should straighten it, how it must be a huge annoyance to detangle, how I HAVE to trim it, how this and how that. I decided to ignore all the negative comments and to just do my thing with it. I decided to continue swimming against the tide and doing my hair the way I like it because that's the only thing that should be relevant.

No "short hair because it's practical", "dye with chemicals because that's what you do" or "trim because it'll make your hair grow faster" for me...:p

OrangeStripe
February 22nd, 2014, 11:02 AM
I have always had long hair, because my older sister always kicked up such a fuss whenever I said I wanted a hair cut. It didn't matter when, I would always be accused of trying to copy her. SO, long hair it was. I never really thought about being 'long haired' until I joined LHC.

mindwiped
February 22nd, 2014, 11:17 AM
UNregrettfully...silly fingers were working faster than my brain