PDA

View Full Version : What's the trend where you are?

RancheroTheBee
February 20th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I realized the other day it's going to be years until I get my first "your hair is so long" comment. Not because I don't think I can reach my goals, but because around where I live, many women have very, very long hair. I attend university, and I'd say about 30% of the female student body has waist or longer hair. Where I work, only two people (including myself) have hair shorter than chin, and that includes men. I used to live out West, and maybe because it was so dry, but you'd rarely see anyone with hair longer than APL.

What's the trend where you are?

MeowScat
February 20th, 2014, 12:57 PM
It seems to be APL and shorter. Occasionally, I'll spot someone with longer hair, but I've seen a lot of pixies and bobs and most of them look like they color it. I wish there was more long hair eye candy to drool over. A girl needs some inspiration every now and then!

Aderyn
February 20th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I'm also at a university. Average seems to be shoulder-BSL. Waist or longer is around 5-10% I'd say, 5-10% for shorter than shoulder too.

hanne jensen
February 20th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I'm seeing more people with long hair here in Dk. Maybe it's the economy? Average hair length is APL or shorter, but MBL or longer isn't that unusual anymore.

Anje
February 20th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I'm also at a university. Average seems to be shoulder-BSL. Waist or longer is around 5-10% I'd say, 5-10% for shorter than shoulder too.
We're somewhere in this neighborhood, too. My hair's notably long because it's past hip. On the other hand, people just seem to have noticed that my hair is long recently, after I dyed it dark. Apparently red and long are mutually exclusive?

tlover
February 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM
BSL and shorter is the normal what I can see, some have down to waist but I only know of two who have hip or longer in the Town and surrounding area (12 000 people) But there can ne more who you dont see out on the Town or who covers their hair (the two with longer than hip that I know of is me and my former acting teacher)

blue_eyes
February 20th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I'd say girls in my city typically have APL or BSL hair, depending on their age (typically women I see that look 50+ will have short hair). Anyone with WL hair really stands out.

Synnovea
February 20th, 2014, 01:27 PM
This isn't length related, but something I noticed since moving to the East Bay Area is the number of women who allow their hair to go grey naturally. It's nice to see so many women who aren't constrained by marketed beauty standards and who look great to boot.

Nadine <3
February 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM
We have a wide range of hair around here. I see pixies and a lot of mid back lengths. I don't see a lot of people with average hair around here though, like mine. Mines creaping up on APL. It's either way shorter or way longer lol I live on campus, so it's mostly students I'm seeing.

muddblood21
February 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Although I don't attend the University, I live an a University town as well and I see lots of BSL hair dyed super dark/black and lots of "ombre" colors. I actually have "accidental ombre" hair at the moment since I am growing out color, so I guess I am "accidentally stylish" for the moment. I was happy to see a few college girls in the grocery store with longer hair (length ranged from mid back to past hip) that appeared to be their natural color (one a pretty caramel brown and the other two a nice neutral medium blonde). It was refreshing to see hair that was not flat ironed within an inch of it's life and colored to death!

diddiedaisy
February 20th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Where I live shoulder to apl seems average, however most high school girls have bsl to waist length hair.

tlover
February 20th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Oh among older ladys it's really rare to have long hair here. The only one I know of who have long hair (waist) among older ladys here is my grandmother (84 years)

Auburndreaming
February 20th, 2014, 02:05 PM
a little while ago it was really popular for people to have ombre hair, i dont take so much notice on hair length but I don't see many people with hair much shorter than shoulder length very often, or I guess I don't really take much notice maybe? I don't see many people with hair thats waist length or longer either, and when I have i've questioned weather it might be hair extensions.

LMB
February 20th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I would have to say average would be about APL-BSL here too, shoulder and above for most older ladies.
I have BSL hair and I have the longest hair in my office.
A lot of girls here dye, straighten/curl or have extensions.

shutterpillar
February 20th, 2014, 03:15 PM
I'm in the eastern United States and see a fairly wide range of lengths, but I'd say average would be in the APL-BSL categories. However, over the past year or so I am seeing more and more waist length+ hair. The only people who have told me "Wow your hair is long" have been my family, but probably because they are not used to seeing it past BSL on me.

Verdandi
February 20th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Girls my age have either around shoulder length bleached/highligthed hair or BSL-waist, some very natural and some obvious extensions, I rearely see hair between shoulder and BSL for some reason. I live in a middle-sized (150 000 people) university town in Sweden. The older women get the shorter their hair, seems to be the trend.

YamaMaya
February 20th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I've not seen natural hair past BSL, but extensions are common, as is the mandatory short cuts for older women. I don't get any comments on the length of my hair as of yet, but it's usually up most of the time in public these days. It's also common to see girls with a cringeworthy tangled mess for hair.

SleepyTangles
February 20th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I attend university, too: lot of long haired girls, and a lot of boys with longer hair (enough to tie them in ponytails, or coil them into small buns, which in my experience is very uncommon for italian boys) or very long dreadlocks :grnbiggri.

Last year trend for ladies was either "very long" hair (midback and beyond) or very short/alternative lifestyle cuts. I don't know if anything else is boiling in the pot of the fashion industry, sorry... :shrug:
The average lenght was and is still anything between shoulder and BSL ;).

MeAndTheMaz
February 20th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Around here (central Maryland), it seems like the norm is shoulder to APL. I've been noticing lately that there seems to be more longer (if not long by LHC standards) hair out and about. A couple weeks ago at the grocery store there seemed to be a lot of BSL+ hair there.

sumidha
February 20th, 2014, 04:50 PM
I live in northern California, and I'd say between hippies, mountain folk, immigrants, and a recent overall trend towards longer hair, most people around here don't notice long hair until it's classic or longer. Not that everyone has long hair per se, but people are used to it. It's not something to cause comment. :)

ETA: I'm no mathematician but I'd say average hair length for most women is probably around APL? There's lots of dreads and 'unusual' hairstyles too, though. I think around here's there's honestly a pretty even spectrum of hair lengths, from short punk/alternative partial buzz cuts to long tailbone/classic hair.

alexis917
February 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM
APL-BSL and colored is the norm!
The longest hair in my school is a girl with blonde, hip-length extensions. They're really pretty on her though, a cool medium, gold blonde color!

jacqueline101
February 20th, 2014, 05:56 PM
It's a variety in length but the wild colors are really hip.

Ashflower89
February 20th, 2014, 06:09 PM
I'd say the average in my area is shoulder-APL. I don't see many people beyond that...maybe 15% are past APL. I see a lot of terrible bleach jobs and weird multiple-colored heads that make me sort of cringe and glad that I don't dye anymore. I automatically think about how hard and awkward its gonna be to grow that mess out.

divinedobbie
February 20th, 2014, 06:29 PM
When I went to highschool, most girls hovered a few inches +/- BSL, most on the longer side. There was probably no more than 5-10% with hair longer than waist. Most hover between APL and BSL (50%) and the other 45% is probably distributed evenly between those end brackets, those who are between shoulder-APL and BSL-waist.

And now that I typed that, I want to see how accurate my guesses really are so I am going to go tally five years worth of grad class photos from my yearbooks...girls only sorry, all the guys except for two had short hair. I am going to try putting it per year into a table not sure how its going to work out
................................2009...2010...2011 ...2012...2013
up to shoulder(%).......20.......7........4.........2... .....3
Shoulder-APL(%)........20......18.......17.......33.......5
APL-BSL(%)...............29.......22......27.......24. .....22
BSL-Waist(%)............22.......43......37.......34.. .....30
Waist & longer (%).....8.........9.......15.......17.......40

It's interesting to see that "in general" the trend is leading towards an increase in hair length. It's interesting to see how wrong I was too by estimating :D ahh human error.

ositarosita
February 20th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Seems to be shoulder - APL .. waist and beyond is very rare. Women here don't really take care of their hair. They take it from black to blonde, shampoo daily, heat style, don't DC etc. so their hair just seems to be stuck and really really scary

Scarlet_Heart
February 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I live kind of in the sticks of New Hampshire, so while very long hair isn't completely uncommon, it's not the norm either. I would say most hair is pretty typical here. Most women keep it APL or shorter and many appear to frequent salons for highlights and things. There is one guy who works at the local Walmart who I would swear was Gumball but I know he isn't because Gumball lists his location and it's nowhere near here. But this guy's hair is TBL at least and I always check out his hair (not him, I'm married haha) when I can sneak a peek, but I'm pretty sure he's caught me a few times and thinks I'm a weirdo. Which, honestly, I am. How does our saying go? LHC: the few, the proud, the mildly creepy? Hahaha :gobblecheese:

Luna12345
February 20th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I also live in Canada, in Montreal and I find that different age groups have different hair styles.
I've noticed most high school aged girls have very long hair..mostly below the shoulder and some to the waist but I find university aged girls tend to have shorter hair. I find so many girls in their 20 actually have super short hair here, like the miley Cyrus trend. Lol.

divinedobbie
February 20th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I also live in Canada, in Montreal and I find that different age groups have different hair styles.
I've noticed most high school aged girls have very long hair..mostly below the shoulder and some to the waist but I find university aged girls tend to have shorter hair. I find so many girls in their 20 actually have super short hair here, like the miley Cyrus trend. Lol.

I live in BC, and it's funny because when I went to university, I found that even more girls had long hair. It's actually not normal to have hair shorter than BSL here because most girls have waist long hair.

AmberlynAsh
February 20th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I live in BC, and it's funny because when I went to university, I found that even more girls had long hair. It's actually not normal to have hair shorter than BSL here because most girls have waist long hair.

I'm your neighbor over to the right!:waving:
Alberta here! I live in a big city so there is all kinds of hair over here. I notice the over styled & colored look too often & horrible bleach jobs. All my close friends have BSL or longer &/or wanting to grow longer. I've noticed recently a lot of men at my gym seem to have longer hair so I'd have to say longer hair is on the rise but still not super common around here. I see the odd native & east indians with beautiful classic + length. Lots of alternative styles on the younger people.

cathair
February 20th, 2014, 08:34 PM
The majority of people here probably have shorter than BSL hair, maybe even shorter than APL. But... it's not uncommon to see people with longer hair either. I routinely see people with waist to hip length hair and often see people with classic length hair if I look for it. So I don't think it would be likely I would get a 'your hair is so long' comment any time soon either, even if my hair was a foot longer.

It's also not particularly unusual to see men with long hair or long dreadlocks here either. It's by no means the norm, but it's unusual to not see any in the city centre.

Lady Neeva
February 20th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Lowerclassmens are usually BSL or longer, upperclassmens maintain their hair to about UBL.

Natalia
February 20th, 2014, 10:14 PM
My age majority are BSL or shorter, over 40's usually have SL, I have seen a few TB or longer ladies around. Most men have shaved or shortly trimmed hair though you do see about 30% with 3-4 inches of wavy/curls. We are near the ocean so there is a certain subset with a surfer vibe.

Snidget
February 20th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Where I live, most people have shoulder length to BSL, but there are still a few WLs around. There aren't many past that though. The longest I've seen is tailbone.

Islandgrrl
February 20th, 2014, 11:09 PM
I'd say hair length around here is pretty varied, but mostly shorter than BSL. interestingly, there are two other women at the hospital where I work who have beyond classic hair, I think mine is the longest right now, but not by much.

pixldust
February 21st, 2014, 02:09 AM
I work in a shop, so I do a lot of hair-observing :D For teenagers it seems to be long and natural. There doesn't seem to be a lot of evidence of heat styling or colour. Women in their 20's is a mixed bag; either more of the long/natural look or styled and coloured to within an inch of its life. It seems to depend on their overall style though. Natural seems to go with a preppy kind of style, styled with the fake tan and heavy make up look. Women in their 30's seem to have it apl or above and generally layered/styled. Older than that and it's either the obligatory crop once you get to 50+ or before that a bob or shoulder length style. Men predominantly seem to have short hair. I live in a small town though, the kind of place where everyone knows everyone else, and I think pople tend to stick to whatever's considered acceptable or the norm.

Juniper.
February 21st, 2014, 03:23 AM
For girls and women in their teens and twenties I've noticed that long, natural hair is becoming very popular. Infact it seems the majority of teens I see are at least at MBL. For everyone else I'd say it's a mixed bag of everything really.

Tota
February 21st, 2014, 03:36 AM
In my home country Slovenia everything past APL and BSL is usually "sooooo long":) But I just recently moved to Germany and here WL is no big deal, quite common. Variety here is just amazing :) I have yet to see someone past WL though.

milque
February 21st, 2014, 04:31 AM
Here where I am hair length trends are around APL to MBL, with the younger age groups sporting longer hair and the older age groups sporting shorter hair. I do see waist to hip length hair around, but nothing longer classic. A lot of them are styled and coloured. And the men generally have short hair.

Stray_mind
February 21st, 2014, 04:40 AM
I see a lot of long haired ladies in my country. They have all kinds of lenghts, but usually from bsl to hip lenght...

Jasperine
February 21st, 2014, 05:49 AM
I daily see waist length hair, generally long hair, straightened :) I'm in a university city.

door72067
February 21st, 2014, 06:03 AM
BSL or shorter with LOTS of layers

and color

even women in their 90's sport deep chestnut brown and black hair

I get "noticed" more for the fact that my hair is all one length, more than what the length actually is

I suspect I will be asked about *when* I will be coloring my hair at some point (I recently went virgin and I have many silvers, including a thicker streak {that I adore!!})

gillybeanxo3921
February 21st, 2014, 06:06 AM
I'd say at my highschool, the majority are BSL. There are a lot of waist and beyond, but most of those girls have extensions, not natural hair. The new trend has been to cut to shoulder, but still only a small amount are doing that. Most girls have by normal (not LHC) standards, long hair.

browneyedsusan
February 21st, 2014, 06:58 AM
I'm in a moderately wealthy suburb --I am not wealthy, but the school district is fabulous, so here we are! There are good and bad people everywhere, really, but that is a whole different topic...--
I see a lot of stacked bobs in women my age; longer in front, and shorter in back. Also, shoulder length haircuts and heavy highlights/lowlights. Lots of color. (We are all probably graying, so that explains a lot!) A sprinkling of pixies, but not too many. The younger generation is sporting long, straight hair. BSL or WL on the kids. A lot of the kids are also coloring or bleaching.

neko_kawaii
February 21st, 2014, 07:08 AM
Trends. . .
Length is all over the board. My hair won't be unusually long till I pass Classic, for instance. Bright colors, dip dye, dreads, micro braids, bleached and fried. It all out there.

Fancy accent braids are fairly common. The little lace braid along the hairline and tucked behind the ear and pinned in place is pretty common. I've seen bow buns in the elementary playground!

Winterkatze
February 21st, 2014, 06:24 PM
BSL is considered long where I live and there are not much people with longer hair. :(

palaeoqueen
February 23rd, 2014, 08:07 AM
When I went to highschool, most girls hovered a few inches +/- BSL, most on the longer side. There was probably no more than 5-10% with hair longer than waist. Most hover between APL and BSL (50%) and the other 45% is probably distributed evenly between those end brackets, those who are between shoulder-APL and BSL-waist.

And now that I typed that, I want to see how accurate my guesses really are so I am going to go tally five years worth of grad class photos from my yearbooks...girls only sorry, all the guys except for two had short hair. I am going to try putting it per year into a table not sure how its going to work out
................................2009...2010...2011 ...2012...2013
up to shoulder(%).......20.......7........4.........2... .....3
Shoulder-APL(%)........20......18.......17.......33.......5
APL-BSL(%)...............29.......22......27.......24. .....22
BSL-Waist(%)............22.......43......37.......34.. .....30
Waist & longer (%).....8.........9.......15.......17.......40

It's interesting to see that "in general" the trend is leading towards an increase in hair length. It's interesting to see how wrong I was too by estimating :D ahh human error.

I love that you've calculated this!

Diamond.Eyes
February 23rd, 2014, 03:47 PM
Ombre hair, middle-parted long layerd hair (think Mary-Kate Olsen), a sock-bun sitting atop ones head, loose waves/curls, the ever-popular bleach blonde hair, varying shades of red dyed hair, the "lob" (long-bob) haircut and blunt fringes all very popular where I live. :flower:

Amygirl8
February 23rd, 2014, 08:34 PM
There's been a huge shift to long lengths at the school I attend in the last couple years. Waist length is very common, and there are many girls with hip/TBL length hair. A couple even have classic length.
It's pretty cool.

0xalis
February 23rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
Fried, flat-ironed hair of any length. Although I've been seeing more and more people wearing their hair in it's natural form, so perhaps healthy hair will be the next trend :D

I see a lot of long hair, but rarely anything past TBL. I actually see quite a few elderly people (not just women, men too!) wearing their hair APL or longer, and that makes me very happy. ♥

vanillabones
February 24th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I see everything from shaved to knee length. I live in the northeast USA. The average I'd probably say I see is BSL-Hip. There's a LOT of long hair around here. I see waist+ daily it's not surprising to see and I notice all hair.

mrs_coffee
February 24th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Women my age have short hair, typically.

veryhairyfairy
February 25th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Goodness, I sympathize, OP. At least you can feel accomplished for how healthy your hair is thanks to good care, and I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of comments about that! :)

I can't honestly say what the 'trend' is where I live, because the demographics are weird. I live in a mid-size city/town with a fairly mixed population in terms of ethnicity, income, and age, but we also have a junior college that brings in a lot of young people from all over the area.

At the college: I notice a LOT of long hair. BSL is very common, mid-back to waist is less so but still not out of the norm, and there are at least three girls with (sadly, very damaged) TBL+ hair. I really see a lot of diversity in the hair at school; there are several young men with hair down to their mid-back, as well as several young women with shaved/buzzed heads. I think the only thing I've noticed as a trend are certain styles; teased and poofed up topknots, and braided headbands/styles.

I don't spend much time around people outside of school, but I have noticed a lot of long hair in the area (saw classic length a couple times!). Part of it, I think, is that the city has lots of nearby farm land and culture, and that may contribute to a more conservative and less trend inspired culture.

Jesabel
February 25th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I'm not too sure about length-wise, though I do see a lot of long hair at university and those without it do wear extensions it seems. Though my hair dresser said, much to my surprise and delight (since I don't heat style and have somewhat wavy hair) that stick straight, straightened hair is out of fashion now apparently, and natural textures and tousled waves are in.

longishhair
February 25th, 2014, 11:47 PM
Females:

Up to around 30: every color of the rainbow, every length and many long (not by LHC standards - BSL and longer) hairdos
30 to 50: short spikes or short moussed-up blond hair on top, brown very short hair in back (it looks horrid IMO)
50 and up: short (1-2 inches) gray perms (not my thing either, at all...)

Males:

Any age: Any length, cut and color, the above 50's tend to only sport brown/black/gray
Long hair is considered weird quite often, unfortunately.

Autumnleaves25
February 26th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Teens and young adults in Norway now have embraced the long hair fashion 95%, I see A LOT of waist length hair in the streets of Oslo. I guess some have extensions, but I see many with their own, long hair too. Long straight hair is the most common style.

Effy
February 26th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Same in Germany, at least in the city i live in. There are a lot of waist lenght hair in the streets - or even longer. Not all of it looks good, some women could need a bit of advice, but I still prefer (more or less) natural long hair to very short and overstyled hair, which many older ladies wear here.

Remi
February 26th, 2014, 11:22 AM
In my area, there are a lot of college age people, and BSL is about the norm. Whenever I see longer lengths it is most likely extensions. Most of the girls who are 20's have badly damaged ends, and alot of bad dye jobs. Not too many older women like me over 50 who have hair past shoulders.

queenovnight
February 27th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I live in the south and it seems that every time I go into a store, I see a woman with knee length hair. I don't see this too often around the city, but in the more isolated areas (where I live) these women and their glorious hair are everywhere! Totally makes me a little jealous.

LongHairLesbian
February 27th, 2014, 08:35 PM
There are plenty of teens and young adults that have long hair where I live; BSL-waist is very common. Past waist is rare; at just past waist, I'm often the longest-haired person in the room. But my high school brother's girlfriend has BCL hair, which gives me hope that really long lengths will begin to become more acceptable! As most posters have noted, at around 30 you start to get pressure to have your hair short. Or whenever you become a mother. My Nan is 65 this year and has shoulder length hair, which causes people to think she's much younger than she actually is! Things my Nan has taught me: DO NOT chop off all your hair just because that's what society has deemed "age appropriate", you actually tend to look younger if you can maintain long, healthy hair as a mature woman. That, and always wear sunscreen, even in the winter. :D

Dessi
February 27th, 2014, 10:10 PM
Where I live, I've seen woman with knee-length hair only once, Women with classic length - maybe twice. Women with hip length - way more often, but still - is rare. Maybe most common here is Shoulder - MBL. There are some with waist+ but most of them probably wear extensions.

gillybeanxo3921
March 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I'm sure you guys have heard of tumblr right? It's a blog website mostly comprised of pictures that many teenage girls use. In the past couple years thousands of pictures have been posted of long, natural, beautiful hair so that is what is driving the new trend for young people to grow their hair out long and healthy.

http://amazinglonghair.tumblr.com/
http://wehearthair.tumblr.com/
http://longhairdonttcare.tumblr.com/
http://naturallystunninghair.tumblr.com/
http://awwalexandra.tumblr.com/
http://hair101.tumblr.com/

I personally think the long-hipster-hair trend started with Miley Cyrus. She head very long, natural looking (it was actually extensions) for quite a few years, and thousands of teens looked up to her. Then people like the Jenner sisters and other celebrities and models got into it, too. It's hard to see all those pictures and NOT want to grow your hair out.

The new trend is shoulder length hair, which you could argue started with Miley too haha. Lot's of girls are still doing the long hair thing, though.

bunnylake
March 9th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Waist length is popular here with teens and young women. I've seen a few at hip. Most older women here keep their hair above BSL.

MadeiraD
March 9th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Right now the cool girls in New York have quite long hair, where I am Providence, you see RISD girls doing all sorts of funky things (you also see a lot of medium long with bangs ala Zooey Deschanel, but tha's more at Brown university)

HazelBug
March 9th, 2014, 11:27 PM
I think the trend is colarbone to apl. I do see some people with bsl and even waist. But they aren't quite as common. I see short styles like pixies and bobs here a lot.

Shibe
March 9th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I live in Tropical Miami, and it's very common for me to see TBL every day.

Rushli
March 9th, 2014, 11:59 PM
There are 3 different hair groups here. Most people I see in this area are upper 20s to retired age, with most being 40+. They all have shoulder or above, with the exception of a handful of women my age with apl to bsl. I am not really sure about what the teenagers are doing any more, but I do know quite a few have much longer hair than they did a few years ago when I was working at the school. The county over has a large Native American population and I often see braids in the BSL to WL area.

grimsqueaker
March 10th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Mostly shoulder length and shorter, and undyed. I think it's because around here doing anything with your appearance (make-up, nice clothes, long hair, etc.) is considered very vain and shallow.

ichosethis
March 10th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Most girls in my area have shoulder or shorter, a few have between shoulder and APL. I can only think of one who has BSL or longer (besides myself) and hers is a mess, she's admitted it's in terrible condition but won't even trim it to try containing some damage, it's been dyed black on the underside (she's let it fade to a dark and ashy brown) and bleached blonde on the outer layers, her hair is naturally a light to medium blonde. I think she'd have to take off 4 or more inches to cut off the worst damage and she'd prefer long and obviously damaged to shorter and not damaged. (I see her almost every day and it probably bothers me more than it should).

For men, hair is typically pretty short. Few men have hair longer than ear length or so.

cathair
March 10th, 2014, 07:10 PM
I'm sure you guys have heard of tumblr right? It's a blog website mostly comprised of pictures that many teenage girls use. In the past couple years thousands of pictures have been posted of long, natural, beautiful hair so that is what is driving the new trend for young people to grow their hair out long and healthy.

There's some beautiful hair I recognise in the last link! I have forgotten the members name though. Wonder if she knows she is there?

veryhairyfairy
March 11th, 2014, 05:11 AM

<snip>

There's some beautiful hair I recognise in the last link! I have forgotten the members name though. Wonder if she knows she is there?

I recognize it too, I think the member's name is BrendaLoan? Calling the dark, wavy, TBL, khaleesi hair styler. :)

jasper
March 11th, 2014, 05:16 AM
I think longer hair is trendier lately. I see more loose long hair than I used to.

eha
March 11th, 2014, 05:18 AM
long. usually around BSL length but a lot of midback to waist aswell. what you very rarely see is anything above shoulders or even more rarely a pixie cut :D

clioariane
March 11th, 2014, 09:43 AM
In Amsterdam the look is definitely long (BSL to waist-length) and ombré, probably half of the women under 30 I encounter on a daily basis have this look nowadays. Long weaves are also still very popular among Surinam girls.

Hatsune Miku
March 11th, 2014, 10:30 AM
The majority of girls at my school have BSL-Hip, but I'm probably in the top 10 or even top 5 with the longest hair. I think there's one girl who has classic length, while a few others (including myself) have tailbone.

meteor
March 11th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Long hair (waist to tailbone) is definitely the trend here, but unfortunately only until a certain age. After the age of, I don't know, 30 - 40 women here tend to cut to APL or shorter and style it very heavily. Everything extra-long is considered "ethnic", "religious" or "eccentric".

cathair
March 11th, 2014, 01:13 PM
I recognize it too, I think the member's name is BrendaLoan? Calling the dark, wavy, TBL, khaleesi hair styler. :)

I think you are right :)

CremeTron
March 11th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Where I am in Kent, UK women under 40 tend to have between BSL and waist length hair. The school and college girls like the ombre look too. A lot of the other black girls have their hair in very long braids. I am not sure what percentage are extensions but I would say many and perhaps most have long hair.

Larki
March 31st, 2014, 01:06 PM
Anything shorter than hip length is unremarkable here.

Lady melissa
August 29th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Last two years, i noticed in Belgium, a trend to have long hair (max waistlength - very few longer). Most of them natural but a lot of extensions going around too, that's for sure. Still i definitely see the trend among the little girls and teenagers and students. Long hair is back in fashion. LOL! This bugs me...you might think it is petty of me, but i always find it ridiculous to follow a hairtrend and that people start growing their hair because it's fashionable. I chose to have long hair years and years ago, not just because 'it's in fashion', but because i really have a passion for it. Younger girls come up to me to talk about hairstuff and start bragging about their braidingskills and such and i think to myself: dear, there's nothing new under the sun, i've known this for ages and i can probably do more hairstyles than you ever will, after you've lost interest because it will be OUT of fashion...maybe i'm just getting old, but things like that annoy me LOL

Ingrid
August 29th, 2014, 03:55 AM
The trend here is ombre hair up in a messy top-knot bun. Difficult to tell the average length but I assume it's between waist and BSL, so fairly long. At the same time, there are also more and more girls sporting the half-shaved/undercut look, usually paired with thick-rimmed glasses.

Johannah
August 29th, 2014, 06:07 AM
Everything shorter than waist and I see a lot of ombre hair right now as well.

kganihanova
August 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM
BSLish ombre/dyed and usually straightened. Quite a lot of sock buns too.....

Lady melissa
August 30th, 2014, 01:41 PM
yep the sockbun is definitely stepping up, last few months here in Belgium...they now sell them everywhere and very cheap also, in the beginning they were much more expensive

lazuliblue
August 30th, 2014, 01:48 PM
So I paid attention to people's hair today :p

The trend here is bob-APL, with some verging on BSL. Lots of straightened and dyed hair. I only saw two people with waist length hair, and one was a young child (beautiful, thick Dutch braid.) Sock buns are pretty popular too!

lilin
August 30th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I'm currently in Minnesota. The trend here is kinda sorta long-ish (APL to BSL), highlighted or fully colored blonde, flat ironed until it's stick straight, and either down, or up in a ultra-messy bun.

I'm getting to be on the longer side of what's "trendy," but not entirely past it yet. I have always refused to straighten my hair (and I have had many people run after me with a flat iron). I'm brunette, and no bleach, although I do currently have my hair done up in some craziness doing henna highlights. :D

So, not especially trendy, but also not especially out of the norm.

Avis
August 30th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I live in a Northern California college town and it seems like we have all the trends going on at once! I've seen everything from fully to partially shaved heads to hip length hair. If I had to pick a length that was most popular, I'd say about BSL, but really, there's a lot of different lengths here (I once saw a woman at Target with STUNNING knee length hair. Almost walked into a display, I was so distracted! :o)

Styles I see a lot are high ponytails, sock buns, boho braids, top knots and heat-curled hair. Most ladies seem to wear their hair down the majority of the time. Ever since I've started wearing my hair up nearly everyday, it seems like a bit of a nuisance to have it down so often. Plus I'm much more aware of damage and tangles than I used to be. But hey, you've got to do what makes you happy, right? :shrug:

Dragon Faery
August 30th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I live on a reservation in eastern Montana. When I first moved here, 50% or more of the Native women had Hip-to-Tailbone hair, with a few pushing Classic. Most of the rest had between BSL and Waist, with a few super short bobs and the occasional pixie. Now, 5 or 6 years later, it seems like most Native women are embracing the shorter hair trends, with only a few people longer than Hip anymore. I'd say most are still between BSL and Waist, but the number of shorter than BSL cuts has definitely increased. There is one woman who has Knee-length.

In the nearest town outside the reservation, there is a fairly large Pentecostal population, so I'd say about 20 to 30% of women in that general area grow longer than waist, if not to terminal. I see a lot of Waist to Classic, though it's always up in at least a ponytail so sometimes it's hard to calculate how long it would be when down. And in the same area there is a substantial Hutterite population, so as far as I know they all grow to Terminal. But it's always covered, so I have no idea what their average length would be.

In the nearest city, about an hour and a half away, it's more mixed, as the Native, Pentecostal, and Hutterite populations are joined by a large number of ranchers and a small number of businesspeople. They dliute the longer-haired population substantially, but it's still not QUITE rare to see the occasional classic-length mane let out to air.

My husband, being Native, and having had long hair in the past, won't consider mine really long until Classic or so.

ummyahya
August 31st, 2014, 03:45 AM
In my University BSL is the norm, although when I complimented a couple of students for their very beautiful hair, they confessed it was extensions. :confused:
Once past University years though, most get a chin-length or shorter hair cut, apparently to many it looks more "professional"

sarahchant
August 31st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Where I live, nearly all women have bobs of some sort. Some short and some long. I teach middle school and the teenage girls mostly have longish hair, usually around BSL to waist. There are only a couple women I know with "long" hair and theirs is maybe around BSL. True long hair is rare for me to see.

RachelRose
January 5th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Ombré , middle part, curls reminiscent of the 70s but toned down , scene hair, pixies, very few long hairs

askan
January 5th, 2015, 02:37 PM
I see a lot of girls with BSL-waist length here in Sweden. Maybe it's because I'm meeting a lot of girls between 12-20 years old at the gymnastics club I work for and train with. We are about 50 girls from 9 to 25 (me) who compete (teamgym) and for competitions we all have to have the same hairstyle - fringe frenchbraided to the side and a donut bun + a fancy turquoise scrunchie of metallic fabric. There are only two girls who have too short hair to manage this style so it's usually a looooot of pins and fake hair involved for them.

Also I bike by a highschool every day and I see a lot of BSL to waistlength manes or around that length. Not many past WL though. I've rarely seen people with BCL or longer. Maybe, though, there are just as many or more with shorter hair but I just don't pay them much attention?

Bella-donna
January 5th, 2015, 03:51 PM
I live in Canada, BC and most girls I know have around shoulder- bra strap length hair, and every girl I know straightens their hair every morning.

allierat
January 5th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Between chin length bob and ALP length seems to be popular around here (Midlands UK), but a lot of the young teens have hair around waist (generally worn down with a big poufy quiff, or up in a sock bun). Braids are definitely not popular, which is a shame as they're pretty!

battles
January 5th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Long hair is more common around here lately. I notice a lot of BSL, and quite a bit of waist to hip, on all ages. A lot of the younger ones are still straightening/wearing it down daily, so I think short hair may be back sometime this year..

Nymphadora
January 5th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Intersting topic!! Where I am in the suburb it's VERY rare for women in my age bracket 30s-40sto have long hair. Usually shoulder length. Not many pixie heads lol. High school girls all have long hair. Highlights are very common.

pastina
January 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM
i'm originally from jersey too! (dh and i are both several generations jersey, actually) i just moved to midwestern pa last summer.

so you know that stereotype that jersey girls have big hair? i never want to hear another word about it. out here i've seen puffiness and height achieved that i didn't even know was possible. like, actual breathtaking largeness.