PDA

View Full Version : Protein how often?

Lila_grace
February 20th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Hi all!

after describing the condition of my hair (highlights and a waxy feeling when wet but feels fine once dried) in a previous post it was suggested to try some protein but not to "over do it".......so I guess my question is what it overdoing it?

currently I use sauves everlasting sunshine S&C with the CWC method. I also need to wash everyday. I was at the store today and the vo5 moisture milk passion fruit line was on sale so I picked some up. It says both the S&C contain "soy mi'k protein".

so I guess I'm wondering with my current routine of everyday CWC how often should I use the vo5? And what is a sign of too much protein?

Firefox7275
February 20th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Is it hydrolysed protein? If not it is likely useless. Protein overload affects different people in different ways: changes in curl or wave pattern, a 'dry' or rough feeling even when wet, wet frizz, dry frizz, tangling .... There is no one size fits all frequency and it can often vary seasonally/ with the dew point.

Do be aware shampoo and conditioner ingredients can combine to cause a compound that builds up, CWC is a risk for this.

Anje
February 20th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Totally depends on the person. Some people do great with those sorts of products (including when they have hydrolyzed protein), used constantly. On the other hand, I find I need to read ingredients lists, because anything with protein on the ingredients list can't be used more than on rare occasion without causing problems.

If your hair starts getting stiff, tangly, and grabby, clarify. If it's still like that afterward, switch to some protein-free products for a while. It's far easier to let your hair dictate what is working for it and when something needs to change than it is to schedule it in advance.

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I struggle with this too. I alternate now. I just switch back and forth depending how hair feels.
I think the passion fruit smoothie has soybean extract listed near the very bottom. If that is the case it is not going to do much so I wouldn't worry about overdoing with this one.

swearnsue
February 20th, 2014, 02:33 PM
You can also control the protein on your hair by diluting the conditioner and shorten or lengthen the time it is allowed to soak into your hair.

I use a protein rich conditioner as needed, probably once a month, and I leave it on my hair for about 30 seconds. This way, if it didn't make a difference I can just use it again next shampoo for another 30 seconds.

I only apply from my ears down and don't put conditioner on my scalp. It makes my scalp just a bit itchy afterwards. But that is just my experience.