PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk misting!

Crumpet
February 20th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I've been using my mister this winter to keep my hair pliable since I only wash once each week and it is DRY where I am. I've been putting catnip tea in it for split ends and occasionally adding lavender EO. I often mist at night before bagging my hair in its sleep cap and before bunning, but its not a completely regular habit.

Some questions occurred to me that wise forumites might be able to answer:

(1) Why does it help to mist my hair?
(2) Is there any fear of hygral fatige?
(3) What do you put into your mister?

Mellybee
February 20th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I used to put rooibos tea and rosemary in my mister...
But I bought a new one, and I think, because it's metal, it's reacting with the tea and making it smell horrible. I kept my other potion in my mister for ages before running our or deciding I should change it.

I should probably go back to plastic, but I like my metal one so much :(

Sorry I'm not much help, can only really answer no. 3

harpgal
February 20th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Adding extra moisture onto your hair, especially if you live in a very dry climate, allows for more flexibility of the hair shaft and therefore less breakage.

(2) Is there any fear of hygral fatigue?
I know this term is used a lot around long hair sites these days. I think it is a bunch of bunk (imho). After all, how do our mermaid sisters have such beautiful hair? ;)

I use distilled water in my mister. I mist my braid before putting it into a bun or wrapping it around my head. I do not have any split ends...none.

Crumpet
February 20th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Ooh, thanks for the replies! I'll keep on misting in this case. It makes my hair feel so much better this time of year!

DweamGoiL
February 20th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I use a mister during the Summer months. I put in distilled water mixed in with sea salt for waves, a small amount of light conditioner, and a light gel for some hold. I will spray in the mornings to make my hair bouncy and wavy.

swearnsue
February 20th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I use rosewater as a base then add filtered water and a couple of drops of an oil. It helps with static and smells good. I use it on my dogs when I brush them too. That's why I add water to the rosewater, to save money!

slynr
February 20th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I use distilled water, a few drops of argan and camillia oil, and a mix of EO. I usually mist before I put it up in the night and sometimes just to refresh my hair. It really helps in the winter.

milque
February 20th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I recently started misting. I use de-ionized water (can't find distilled water in the UK!), a few drops of rosemary EO and a tiny bit of aloe vera gel. Seems to control the frizz and poofiness.

Thinthondiel
February 20th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I don't mist my hair, because my experience with my skin is that the more I put water on it, the drier it gets, and when my eczema flares up I have to stay away from water as much as possible because it dries my skin out so much (this explains why water is drying for skin: http://dermatology.about.com/od/anatomy/ss/sc_anatomy_8.htm). Because of this, I can't help but think that it would be drying for hair too, even though I don't know for sure. But in any case, water by itself isn't moisturising without something to seal it in, because it evaporates. I suppose it might help to add oil in order to seal in the moisture, but I prefer just using a leave-in conditioner rather than misting (because in my mind, water = drying).

As for hygral fatigue, someone linked to a study not long ago where one of the findings was that people who let their hair dry naturally acquired a type of damage to their hair that was not seen in those who blowdried. I'd say it's logical to assume that it's because their hair was wet for a longer amount of time, so it would likely be either because of hygral fatigue or because hair is weaker when it's wet.

ooglipoo
February 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM
Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1064) is an extensive LHC thread on misters/misting.

I like orange blossom water in mine right now. The other has dilute conditioner and rose water. Another has just rosewater. The options are endless!

I use misters year round, in summer to help control frizz, and in winter to get rid of static.

lapushka
February 20th, 2014, 10:45 AM
(2) Is there any fear of hygral fatige?

I used to only have my hair misted for wave formation, nothing more. Once a day is about enough, IMO, so as not to overdo it. IMO you cannot get hygral fatigue if you use water normally. From regular washing / misting, it can't get hygral fatigue. You'd have to pretty much overdo it on water to get hygral fatigue. I used to have either distilled water and a splash of conditioner or half / half water / glycerine in my mister bottle.

ExpectoPatronum
February 20th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I mist my hair between washes because it starts to look dry and poof up after a day or so. I currently only use water, but I want to experiment with adding some EOs. I usually just mist it lightly, apply a tiny bit of oil to seal it in, then braid it! It really helps keep my hair looking nice. I don't think it will cause hydral fatigue, especially since you're not soaking your hair.

MeowScat
February 20th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I'm just wondering, what are the benefits of Rosewater and where can it be bought?

Crumpet
February 20th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I'm just wondering, what are the benefits of Rosewater and where can it be bought?

I'm not sure about the benefits beyond smelling amazing -- someone else may have more information there. You can get cheap rosewater at lots of ethnic food groceries (Indian and Middle Eastern).

Misschilly
February 20th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I use plain water and lavendel EO right now. Sometimes I mist before an updo or before oiling.

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 01:32 PM
I don't mist my hair, because my experience with my skin is that the more I put water on it, the drier it gets, and when my eczema flares up I have to stay away from water as much as possible because it dries my skin out so much (this explains why water is drying for skin: http://dermatology.about.com/od/anatomy/ss/sc_anatomy_8.htm). Because of this, I can't help but think that it would be drying for hair too, even though I don't know for sure. But in any case, water by itself isn't moisturising without something to seal it in, because it evaporates. I suppose it might help to add oil in order to seal in the moisture, but I prefer just using a leave-in conditioner rather than misting (because in my mind, water = drying).

As for hygral fatigue, someone linked to a study not long ago where one of the findings was that people who let their hair dry naturally acquired a type of damage to their hair that was not seen in those who blowdried. I'd say it's logical to assume that it's because their hair was wet for a longer amount of time, so it would likely be either because of hygral fatigue or because hair is weaker when it's wet.

I have to open this link! My face gets quite dry when I mist with water.
So far on my hair has been fine with sporadic misting but I do wonder how much is too much.

I mist out of shower with bottled water, glycerin, aloe, jojoba and creamy leave in conditioner mixed up. I have on occasion remisted later in the day with no ill effects but I am curious about if it drys hair also after seeing results on my face.
I wonder if the oils and conditioners help pull moisture in and not allow to be pulled out plus more..anyone know for sure?

LMB
February 20th, 2014, 03:05 PM
At night I use distilled water and a few drops of Argan oil, bun my hair to do my skincare routine, remove my spin pin and put on my sleep cap.
I recently got a new mister, which turned out to not be a mister at all and shot a big squirt of water in my right eye! Must remember to check the nozzles before I buy next time! :D

Kimberly
February 20th, 2014, 03:45 PM
When my hair is puffed up and I want it to hurry up and ringlet I mist with a little rose essential oil mixed in tap water. The rose oil doesn't seem to make a difference to my hair, but my cat comes running to get spritzed. I spray some on my hair, on her, and on her sleeping spot, and on my pillows, too!

ravenheather
February 20th, 2014, 07:54 PM
My hair likes the mister. I use rosemary essential oil and tap water. Sometimes add a little camellia oil or rub some nightblooming panacea on my ends.

BambooBeauty
February 20th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Rosewater smells amazing but it also adds some moisture to the hair. I also use rosewater to refresh my scalp.

cathair
February 20th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I recently started misting. I use de-ionized water (can't find distilled water in the UK!), a few drops of rosemary EO and a tiny bit of aloe vera gel. Seems to control the frizz and poofiness.

Car places still distilled water:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=distilled+water&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

But I guess going to Halfords for hair stuff is a little on the weird side :D

Natalia
February 20th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Posting to subscribe. I should keep an eye on this since my washing has been limited past few months. Need to figure something out as my scalp can be a bothersome mess.