PDA

View Full Version : question about layers??

susieq998
February 19th, 2014, 10:06 PM
OK, so I have pretty heavy layers in my hair right now about half of my hair is layered the shortest layer is at neck length. I know my hair is very healthy. I barely have and split or damage, in fact I just got it cut to remove the last of the damage in it. The problem is with my layers being frizzy. I have straight fine but dense hair and at one length always looked smooth. Then I got the layers put in a year ago and they look frizzy especially right after washing. Usually it will smooth out after I sleep on it. But I hate them so much. But I cant just cut them all out I would have no hair so I have no choice but to deal with them while they grow out. My hair is APL length right now but does anyone if when it gets longer it might help with the frizz. I think one of the problems im having is that i keep trying to trim the layers to get rid of the frizz but that of course didn't work. Is it because the hair is just so light and just needs more weight. I would use silicone but they just really dried out my hair and alot of oils don't work with my hair. So those are out every time i tried an oil it was to heavy or made my hair even more dry and frizzy. The only things i do to my hair is wash condition and use moisturizing cream called phyto 7 and then let it air dry. Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated:)

MinderMutsig
February 20th, 2014, 12:58 AM
Sounds like waves trying to pop up!

DragonFlyPie
February 20th, 2014, 01:39 AM
My first thought was that you actually have wavy hair, too. That is how my hair is. Always looks puffy/frizzy, unless I bun it while slightly damp & leave it that way all day (or overnight I suppose, depending on when you wash your hair.) Then it will be sleek, smooth & shiny, with lovely bun waves. If i let my hair air dry, down & loose, it looks awful - dull & frizzy from a distance, though each hair is shiny as can be up close with minimal/no damage. So it definitely benefits from being bunned. I also use silicones in my conditioners (amodimethicone is the one I stick with) & only use shampoo a couple times per month. I CO-wash every 2-3 days. You may also try manipulating your hair while it dries by twirling it around a finger in a corkscrew shape. I do that sometimes & it helps smooth the surfaces as it dries. I part my hair down the center & just twist each side around & around (not rough or anything damaging.) It usually ends up drying in sort of a corkscrew curl form & then i just do whatever with it. (My hair is thick, TBL & layered.)

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 02:15 PM
I have this same issue. I have waves that want to come out also but with the layers it doesnt work.
If you air dry i would suggest damp bunning the hair and not touching or combing it until dry. (comb before bunning of course)
This eliminates a lot of my frizz layers. It also leaves me with some wacky curls so the looser the bun the better. I find hairsticks work best for me getting something that is passable in public once taken out. I can bun looser with them.

As far as a product, I have had great success with Pureology Precious Oils serum. It is oil but it is so nice and light. No cones. I makes my hair soft and shiny and my natural hair is anything but. It is my HG product.
If you want to find ways to make oils work to combat frizz I suggest trying them in a mister bottle with water and a little of the leave in conditioner. I apply leave in and then a squirt more to mister, tsp of oil, add water and shake. This gives me frizz protection without heaviness.

Growing out layers sucks. They tend to be the driest and frizziest! I have not clue why but it makes me crazy. I keep trimming them to make them look better for now so the cycle continues. The best thing you can do is try and beat the frizz so the urge to cut is less.
Keep hair conditioned and moisturized. Its a start. Sealing is a must for me so hopefully these suggestions help a little if you are keen on trying any of them.

ReneeG
February 21st, 2014, 03:04 PM
I have what sounds like the same hair type... and the same problems! Its APL with layers although not as many, and when I leave it down to dry at night (satin pillowcase) its smooth but wavy. If I airdry... frizz. Crazy frizz, but it doesnt have any damage really. Like Dragonflypie said, smoothing it into twisted/corkscrew curls works really well for me and keeps it smooth (plus its kind of fun to twist it into the curls!). It gives a really pretty curled look to the ends without damaging your hair, and tames any frizz that would happen otherwise. I use "Miracle 7 Silk leave in mist" and that makes my hair pretty smooth, but only kind of helps the frizz if I let it dry for a few hours.

Decemberrose
February 23rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
My layers are also a bit dry/frizzy... I put a leave in conditioner in while it's damp and again when it's completely dry. It helps a bit.
I also have the urge to cut it, but have to try not to, otherwise it will never grow out :(
I'm sure it will be over with the frizz when it is all the same length.