PDA

View Full Version : Any Gym Rats?

Jean_Grey
September 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I need help! I'm being very good now and going to the gym regularly, 5x a week. And my hair is completely and utterly rebelling! I am sweaty and gross when I get done.

My current routine is a mixed bag. I'm trying to switch to CO, but unfortunately I made the decision right about the time I jumped into the gym with both feet. I decided it was time to take care of Me for a bit. My eating has also drastically improved.

I did henna my hair earlier this week. I'm hoping that will improve some of the flyaway ends a bit. My hair was very sunbleached in parts from a summer I basically spent at the pool. My hair is naturally healthy and thick looking to this length, and here's where I end up chopping it It's about at my waist now.

Anyway, suggestions? I have done a brief search, but didn't find what I was looking for immediately, and thought, well, I did make an account, might as well jump in with both feet right? :)

Zombiekins
September 11th, 2008, 08:31 PM
What is it you're looking for help with? Cleaning post-workout hair or handy updos?

Here are a couple of topics I found on search, including one very recent one:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7201&highlight=workout+hair
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11504&highlight=workout+hair
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11858&highlight=workout+hair

Jean_Grey
September 11th, 2008, 08:45 PM
I was going for post workout care. A good braid works for me to keep it during the workout.

Thanks for the help!

CurlyOne
September 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM
How is it rebelling? During workouts, after, in general? If it is during I would suggest a good braid with aloe to keep flyaways down. And afterwards you could just rinse well, sweat is water soluble so it isn't like oil, it will just come off. Use a nice smelling body wash and I highly doubt anyone will notice. If you are washing with shampoo every time after you are done that could be part of your problem.

zeelin
September 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM
My hair is the same. I work out 6 times a week and have to wash it every other day if not I look like someone threw a bucket of oil in my hair.

danacc
September 13th, 2008, 11:08 PM
If your hair is rebelling, I recommend backing away from CO for now. Otherwise, you won't be able to tell if it's contributing to the rebellion. Go back to your previous washing method, and tweak from there. At least you know how your hair responded to it before the more frequent work-outs. (One of the "tweaks" could be to try a CO on some of the days between "normal" washings if you find you need to wash more frequently.)

Once you get your hair back to a happy place based on your previous haircare routine, then you can start testing more changes to it.

Jean_Grey
September 17th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the advice!

While I'd love to just do one experiment at a time, something needs to be done.... so maybe I'll have to go to simply rinsing it afterwards? I was washing my scalp only once a week/twice a week with shampoo.

As far as how it was rebelling -- my scalp is breaking out. If I don't wash it, it smells sweaty and is lank and gross feeling. When I washed it afterwards, it would tend towards flying away and frizzing all over the place. It's not used to me washing it so much, even only with conditioner.

Bunnygirl
September 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm a runner, so I wash my hair everyother day, and I don't wash it saturday or sunday. However, it looks super greasy during days off, so I just put it in a bun and deal with it.

Have you tried a pretty headscarf or fabric headband?

Jean_Grey
September 18th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Nope, but that is an idea, something to soak up that sweat.