PDA

View Full Version : prenatal vitamins and biotin capsules in shampoo?

cdonald2
February 19th, 2014, 12:32 AM
a friend told me that they put biotin capsules and prenatal vitamins in their leave in conditioners and shampoo. Anyone else do this?if so what kind of results did you get?

Panth
February 19th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Sounds pretty pointless to me. You'll wash off anything in the shampoo when you rinse it out (vitamins and suchlike probably not binding to the hair like, say, 'cones). Leave-ins are principally for the hair strands, not the scalp ... so adding vitamins to that is silly as well. Hair is dead, you can't physically nourish it by applying stuff to it.

ositarosita
February 19th, 2014, 12:57 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119947 ..... try there, it's growth rate experiments.. no one has brought it up yet but to me it's pointless.. maybe someone will give it a try

Verdandi
February 19th, 2014, 01:52 PM
As Panth said, hair is dead. The quality or growth rate won't be increased by putting things in it/on it, the only thing you can do is try to damage it less and nourish from the inside. Your best option is probably to eat the vitamins and capsules instead (as a complement to a well balanced diet, of course) and leave the shampoo alone :)

Firefox7275
February 19th, 2014, 02:03 PM
Ill thought out plan. I can't see how you'd grind tablets small enough to dissolve properly, both tablets and capsules are full of fillers, dead hair and the skin barrier cannot directly absorb or utilise many micronutrients anyway.

Ambystoma
February 20th, 2014, 05:11 AM
Yep - put the vitamins inside you to nourish the living growing bits! Plus, you get nice skin and nails from making sure your daily needs are met, so it will benefit more than just your hair :)

cosmic crusader
April 14th, 2014, 11:52 PM
My friend told me this was given to her as a growing tip as well! For fun, tonight I crushed up two prenatals and mixed it with my shampoo. If anything, it was exfoliating, so that's good! I'm going to experiment with it.

clioariane
April 15th, 2014, 07:43 AM
This is an old wives' tale with no evidence-based research behind it. Save your money and take a good multi-vitamin in addition to a healthy, balanced diet.

Marika
April 15th, 2014, 10:28 AM
I agree with others, I don't see how this would work. But was it aspirin mask that used to be popular..? I can't remember if it was for face or hair.. or what it was supposed to do :D

clioariane
April 16th, 2014, 03:59 AM
I agree with others, I don't see how this would work. But was it aspirin mask that used to be popular..? I can't remember if it was for face or hair.. or what it was supposed to do :D
Aspirin face masks are used to reduce redness because of its anti-inflammatory properties.

Night_Kitten
April 18th, 2014, 08:33 AM
As vitamins don't absorb into hair strands nor coat the hair and stay on it (which might have improved shine or look like cones do), and I assume the time the shampoo spends on the scalp is too short to have any vitamins absorb through the skin either, I don't see a point in adding them to shampoos...
If you know any of the vitamins can be absorbed by the skin, perhaps adding them to a moisturising treatment (mask / SMT...) that stays on your scalp for a long while would make some sense...
Though I agree with the previous posters about the most benefit coming "from the inside" by taking the vitamins rather than adding them to hair-care products...

That said, if you have some left-over pills that are nearing their end of use date and you don't want to eat them, I see no harm in adding them to a conditioner or hair mask instead of throwing them away :)