PDA

View Full Version : Short Hair Article

Michiru
February 18th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Interesting Perspective: http://www.newstatesman.com/laurie-penny/2014/01/why-patriarchy-fears-scissors-women-short-hair-political-statement?fb_action_ids=10203665542466074&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B347906675349623%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

divinedobbie
February 18th, 2014, 10:00 PM
That was a very interesting read. Still trying to come up with something good to sum up what I think...

I agree that men do typically find long hair more pleasing on women - but to each their own. And even if that was fully true, I don't think women should grow their hair long for that reason. I'm growing long hair because I want it. I also agree that even if women don't cut their hair short to make a political statement, it usually is seen as one.

Macaroni
February 18th, 2014, 10:14 PM
I disagree with the statement that long hair takes "work". Since I've grown mine, no more cutting, curling, spraying. It's long, it's straight and it's all mine.

HazelBug
February 19th, 2014, 02:42 AM
That article seemed a bit angry to me. If you are cutting your hair to spite men then you are still doing your hair for men. I do think most men like the look of medium long hair. But most women who have long hair have it because they enjoy it. I love to be able to play with it and braid it. Short hair is boring to me since I hate heat styling or hair spraying.

It seems to me that there is an extreem version of feminism that's really angry and antagonistic towards men. And that article seemed to drip with venom.

Tini'sNewHair
February 19th, 2014, 03:03 AM
Ah ok, she seems pretty upset there and biased.

All of this comes to individual choice, we all have our reasons as to why we want a certain look/hair length/makeup etc.

redredrobin
February 19th, 2014, 03:15 AM
Thanks for posting.

The article or viewpoint didn't seem particularly extreme or venomous to me. But it did seem misinformed, and used that one, insignificant article that most people would never even know about, let alone read, and used it as some sort of proof that people go around actively hating and being horrible about women with short hair (I'm sure some do, I'm sure most don't even notice).

However, I do find her viewpoint very juvenile. The sort of thing you think when you are a teenager, when you are learning about life, and you want to be a punk, and it's pretty straightforward- short hair is punky and cool, long hair is patriarchal! Then you grow up and realise no one really cares that much, and having a short, textured style actually takes time and effort.

Also, she presents OTT comments about caring for long hair (serums, mousses, regular blowdrys, etc) as facts. That's fine, but in an article criticising other uninformed view points, it's a bit annoying.

But I enjoyed reading, thanks.

tlover
February 19th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I didn't read it all but I know two women who kept their hair long for there men.

The first is my grandmother who's 84 and just past waist (but she wants to cut it becouse it's really thin) she has long hair becouse my grandfather wants her to.

the second is, or was me. For less than a month ago I really hated my hair, but I didn't cut it becouse my husband loves my hair (and I'm lazy, and scared becouse I have never had short hair)

So shes not all wrong.

redredrobin
February 19th, 2014, 03:44 AM
I didn't read it all but I know two women who kept their hair long for there men.

The first is my grandmother who's 84 and just past waist (but she wants to cut it becouse it's really thin) she has long hair becouse my grandfather wants her to.

the second is, or was me. For less than a month ago I really hated my hair, but I didn't cut it becouse my husband loves my hair (and I'm lazy, and scared becouse I have never had short hair)

So shes not all wrong.

I don't doubt that some men prefer long hair and their partners keep it to please them. So are you saying you only kept your hair for him, but now you've changed you mind and also like having long hair? Or are you thinking of cutting it?

tlover
February 19th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I don't doubt that some men prefer long hair and their partners keep it to please them. So are you saying you only kept your hair for him, but now you've changed you mind and also like having long hair? Or are you thinking of cutting it?

It was not only for him it was also lazyness, now on the other hand I love it.

Neneka
February 19th, 2014, 09:18 AM
It is true that there is many men who think a woman isn't even a human being if she doesn't look like or try to look like their ideal picture of a woman. Well, I doubt they even think any woman to be a human being. It's fairly new that women are able to decide things about their body themselves and I think mostly we still are not there yet if we think about the whole world. The article was only about hair and there is things I disargee with but it's good to be reminded that we are free to be ourselves and pleasing some idiots is no longer our duty. I love the LHC idea that "I am not here to decorate our world". The article was a bit harshly written and there was misconseptions about long hair but still this theme is important. Women are not completely free yet.

I have dated men with strong preferences to short or long hair or certain coloured hair. I did try to please them but it didn't really make me any happier. It made me miserable.

blue_eyes
February 19th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Hmmm I'm not entirely sure what to think...I do think the article had kind of an angry tone to it.

I think a lot of it just has to do with basic attraction & that can't be helped, it just happens. Some women don't find long hair attractive on men, and not every man is going to find short hair attractive on a woman. I'm sure there are also people who don't care one way or the other. Maybe most men just find long hair more attractive, is that really their fault? I don't think they consciously say "I am ONLY going to like long haired women.", I think that they just find themselves drawn to it. Same can be said for men who like short hair, or women who like long or short hair on men. I certainly have physical preferences for men that I didn't consciously choose...it's just what I happen to find attractive. Do I think that men should change to fit my perception of what is attractive? No. But I also don't think I should be blamed for not being attracted to them.

Nedertane
February 19th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I think that the replies saying that "cutting your hair short to spite men would be just as bad" are kind of missing the point. This article is not saying that you must abandon long hair if you want to be a feminist, it's saying that whichever choice we make unfortunately does not exist in a vacuum. While we may say "I like long/short hair due to convenience/style," it doesn't get to be taken that way in a patriarchal society. In a patriarchal society, which we live under, your choice has to become some statement (no matter how ridiculous), about your sexuality, your politics, and basic identity and personality. While the article she quotes may seem far out of left field, they aren't often so far from "regular" society, and it should be noted that the article quoted is one of those articles about, "game" which does hold some popularity among younger males.

Also, for anyone saying the author is off-base because they say that long hair takes work, please note that she distinguishes between "normal" long hair, vs. the kind that is idealized (ie. "Victoria's Secret model" hair).

redredrobin
February 19th, 2014, 02:25 PM
I think that the replies saying that "cutting your hair short to spite men would be just as bad" are kind of missing the point. This article is not saying that you must abandon long hair if you want to be a feminist, it's saying that whichever choice we make unfortunately does not exist in a vacuum. While we may say "I like long/short hair due to convenience/style," it doesn't get to be taken that way in a patriarchal society. In a patriarchal society, which we live under, your choice has to become some statement (no matter how ridiculous), about your sexuality, your politics, and basic identity and personality. While the article she quotes may seem far out of left field, they aren't often so far from "regular" society, and it should be noted that the article quoted is one of those articles about, "game" which does hold some popularity among younger males.

Also, for anyone saying the author is off-base because they say that long hair takes work, please note that she distinguishes between "normal" long hair, vs. the kind that is idealized (ie. "Victoria's Secret model" hair).

I'm not sure she does distinguish between long hair and model hair, not explicitly anyway (she does say her sister has naturally lovely hair, but doesn't make any comment regarding this, just that she was upset to lose it due to illness). The author states that to look like Kate Middleton, you have to take ages doing it, and says she has friends who do this daily. She says these women are otherwise regular women going about their business.

I've seen that hair (the natural version) on here. And it was made with sock buns or rags. I wonder if some of her friends have just had a sock bun in and told her "yeah, this took hours" :D

woodswanderer
February 19th, 2014, 02:43 PM
She is so misinformed about long hair care that it is hard to take the article seriously. She has some points she tries to make, but things are never as black and white as the way she presents them. Just for one example, I highly doubt that most people who cut their hair short today are trying to make a political statement. It's a Hollywood trend now, for goodness sakes, and many people are doing it to be fashion forward.

Tangle or Curl?
February 19th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I experienced all of the things she described when I had a pixie for three years. Including my cousin gay shaming me right after I cut my hair. I really don't see what hair had to do with my sexual orientation and although I think people should not be bullied for being gay I happen not to be so it came as quite a shock. I can understand why she is so bothered. What she described is pretty much why I am growing my hair long agin. I just couldn't take it.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I think it was very telling that she said she cannot grow past shoulder, and that she sees long hair as a lot of work. She is uneducated about hair care and is left frustrated. Like long hair is a secret society she cannot be a part of so she needs to prove she didn't want in the club anyway.
I sense an inner angst and desire for it to be long, but since it "can't be" she needs to have a statement about having it short.
She does not seem as at peace with her hair as she claims. I find it one of those "she doth protest too much"

When my hair as been short it has either been because I was removing damage, or trying a new look. I never thought about sexism nor did I get any erratic reactions. I think it is more how you carry the look. If you walk around looking hard people will see you as hard. Hair doesn't put the chip on the shoulder. Life experience does.

Do men prefer long hair? Maybe..who cares. I see plenty of married women with short hair so it just gets silly really. If a man only wants you for what he thinks your hair represents you have bigger issues to worry about. I found it interesting she thinks her short hair weeds out a certain type of man. Maybe shes right but its more her strong political views..and its hard for me to think people see hair so politically.
I am reading this article twice to see if she can convince me to think more on it.

As far as general public, You cannot please everyone and most people truly do not care as much as she thinks they do. I find people prefer like a kind face, nice clothes, good posture, and confidence. If everything else feels approachable, hair alone shouldn't stop things. Is more the total package than "just hair." I mean this quote "If you've a ladyboner for sexist schmuckweasels, short hair isn't going to help, although they might let you administer a disappointing hand-job. "
Hair alone isnt going to weed those out. There are feminine short cuts. Its the attitude you project that will weed folks out. Even man-pigs can dig short hair, I have seen it.

I found this article hard to follow really and I am not sure why. It went all over the place but really didn't move me to feel anything.

I just don't view my hair politically. I view it as I do clothes. Something I work with to look nice on me. Maybe I am a living in a bubble.I just never felt I was treated differently when I went short and I say this as someone who has shaved her head and still as hit on constantly. Even by man-pigs.

As much as she tries to speak out on stereotypes I feel she is falling into them without knowing. Just the feel I walk away with after reading this.

EDIT: Reading that others HAVE experienced it has me wondering if where you live has a part of it?

cathair
February 19th, 2014, 04:19 PM
It's funny, the most 'Neo-misogynist' man I can think of did want me to cut my hair short. But I can assure any one reading this that although I want to care for my hair to make it long, I don't give it all my 'energy and money and attention' (that's what my cat has) and it is 'naturally wild, or frizzy' (perhaps that is why he wanted is short?).

I don't think that having short hair is the only way you can upset men with your feminist tendencies. But I love her spirit :D

kganihanova
February 19th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I really hate it when long hair is called patriarchal because its such flawed logic. If you're cutting your hair to stick it to men, its the same thing as growing it for men. I don't get it.

QMacrocarpa
February 19th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I enjoyed her article on 'Sherlock'. :-)

I definitely got a different response from the public at large when I had quite short hair in my teens. Most memorably, a lot of complete and utter strangers asked me if I was a boy or a girl (if you're tempted to ask, you're not on the need-to-know list!).

Horrorpops
February 19th, 2014, 09:29 PM

+1 this is how I read the article as well. Not as angry at men or long hair, but honest about the patriarchal system that means women's bodies are still seen, by at least some people, to exist only to please and gratify men.

I coped a fair amount of this when I had a shaved head, Mohawk and pixie.

Horrorpops
February 19th, 2014, 09:37 PM
...I just don't view my hair politically. I view it as I do clothes. Something I work with to look nice on me....

EDIT: Reading that others HAVE experienced it has me wondering if where you live has a part of it?

Totally agree! I never viewed my hair as a political choice but I was surprise how many people (particularly older Caucasian males, but some young ones too) that treated me like it was!

I also think maybe you are on to something - this was in a semi rural town in Australia where I grew up. Perhaps larger, more liberal cities would be different.

maborosi
February 19th, 2014, 09:44 PM

This, very, very much.

I noticed that only when my hair gets longer do I get that weird attention/catcalls/harassment from men.
I was practically invisible when I had chin-length hair, excluding the occasional abrasive comments from people about growing it out. As it creeps closer to waist, I get more of that unwanted crap from random men who think they can tell me how to be/how I meet their expectations, or whatever.

You just can't win, no matter what you do. I wish it would change. It's good to see this dialogue happening, though. That's a good step in the right direction.

~maborosi~

RapunzelKat
February 19th, 2014, 10:47 PM
An interesting read... :hmm:

While I do appreciate her perspective, personally, I just do what I want with my hair. I've had it very long and very short. It's never been a political statement, and I've never changed my hair with the intention of attracting or pleasing men. (DF does love my long hair, but it's just a happy coincidence that we both like it long.) I've never really gotten a lot of unwanted feedback on either long or short hair. But then, I've been told that I give off a very strong "don't mess with me" vibe :lol: