PDA

View Full Version : Struggling not to cut bangs tonight

ErinLeigh
February 18th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I have a serious urge to cut bangs into my hair tonight.
I know I will regret it if I do but my fingers are itching to grab the scissors.

I am envisioning lovely side swept bangs that angle from mid nose to jaw.
I think they would work better for my face. The issue is I hate having hair in my face, and my bangs never lay correctly once the humidity hits. I want them though!

What to do, what to do

renia22
February 18th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Wait three days & reevaluate if you still think it's a good idea after some time passes. :)

Ingrid
February 18th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Waiting two weeks before making the final decision is even better :P That's my rule of thumb for dealing with insatiable perpetual urges to cut bangs!

LaurelSpring
February 18th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I have been there so many times. Just yesterday I angled in some stupid looking fringe which I said I wasn't going to do again but then did and now of course I regret it. I don't know how many times I have to do something before I finally realize that what I think it is going to look like is rarely the reality of it.

RainbowBowser
February 18th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I share this urge and have been resisting for the past 3 months DX just can't decide!

Carolyn
February 18th, 2014, 08:57 PM
If you can't stand hair in your face DON'T DO IT!

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 11:14 AM
I resisted last night. But the urge is still there.
Good advice. If I hate hair in my face I won't be happy.
I look better with long bangs but my go to comfort style is all hair up in a stick. I would lose that and I wear that far to often to not regret bangs.
Tough call. Looks or comfort. How does one choose.

I will take everyone's advice on the 2 week minimum while I sort out my feelings in vanity vs practicality.

Sillage
February 19th, 2014, 11:23 AM
1DON'T DO IT GIRL!!!!!!!

I usually go for looks over comfort but not when bangs or feet are involved. Just like painful shoes will always show on your face, annoying bangs will too. Not worth it!

Lyv
February 19th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Wait two weeks and then still don't cut them haha. Seriously bangs are such a pain to grow out and if you don't like anything in your face they'll just drive you crazy and you'll end up wanting to grow them out and pinning them back all the time.

AmberlynAsh
February 19th, 2014, 12:10 PM
I don't recommend bangs...they are high maintenance & a pain to grow out. Have you considered clip on bangs for fun? I got some from a local salon they are made of human hair you can dye them any color & the lady cut them for me to suit my face. The only problem is I dyed them a brownish purple & now I'm growing my natural color out which is much lighter so they don't match anymore =(

schnibbles
February 19th, 2014, 01:13 PM
1DON'T DO IT GIRL!!!!!!!

I usually go for looks over comfort but not when bangs or feet are involved. Just like painful shoes will always show on your face, annoying bangs will too. Not worth it!

This. A thousand times, this...

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I'm a fan of bangs but I want to stress it's important you pick bangs that will flatter and not annoy you. I know people who have side swept bangs and were drove insane by them being in their eyes.

ExpectoPatronum
February 19th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Wait two weeks. If you still want it, I'd have a stylist cut them because side swept bangs can be tricky. I tried to do them on myself and it was a disaster.

I cut blunt straight across bangs in my hair in January - after waiting two weeks, of course - and honestly it was the best thing I did for myself. Bangs bring a balance to my facial structure that isn't there when they're grown out. I knew this from having bangs in the past, so I already knew they would look good on me when I cut them. Also, I like that they give a little style to my hair, and it looks nice with updos.

But again, definitely wait two weeks. They're a pain to grow out :)

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I have been there so many times. Just yesterday I angled in some stupid looking fringe which I said I wasn't going to do again but then did and now of course I regret it. I don't know how many times I have to do something before I finally realize that what I think it is going to look like is rarely the reality of it.

i sooooo relate to that! Thank goodness bangs seem to grow the fastest of any part of hair :)

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 02:59 PM
1DON'T DO IT GIRL!!!!!!!

OMG you nailed it. That made me laugh.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 03:05 PM
I don't recommend bangs...they are high maintenance & a pain to grow out. Have you considered clip on bangs for fun? I got some from a local salon they are made of human hair you can dye them any color & the lady cut them for me to suit my face. The only problem is I dyed them a brownish purple & now I'm growing my natural color out which is much lighter so they don't match anymore =(

no never considered them. Where do you clip them at? That is an idea actually.

Lyv..haha good advice.
ExpecttoP..soo correct. I have never successfully cut bangs. For them to truly blend into my cut I would need to run to stylist. I hate when my bangs don't look like they belong with the cut. I need blending bangs or I feel like a 1st grader. My mom cut horrible bangs when I was young :)

I think all of you are giving me the same smart answer. Bangs are like a bad relationship. You think about it, then you dive back in and regret. I wear glasses a lot of the time so I could see me getting frustrated with them tangling in the frame also. That's the worst. Bangs with shredded tips.
Woe is me with my egg shaped head. I need bangs to hide it but they simply don't work with my levels of fussiness when it comes to them touching my face. gah
I need to find about about these clips ons!

Anje
February 19th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Ack! Don't do it! Bangs are a nightmare, in my opinion. They never lay right, they quickly end up too long or else you cut them too short, they distract from the polishedness of your updos, and they'll spend ages sticking out of your hair at inopportune moments and angles when you do decide to grow them out. You'll get mascara on them. They'll get greasy when you moisturize your face and/or will give you forehead zits. Growing them out will be a pain -- they'll get caught in your glasses hinges, won't stay behind your ears, or will flip out dementedly between your ears and where you've gathered your hair.

LOL. Can you tell I'm growing out impulse bangs?

hairpleasegrow
February 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Ack! Don't do it! Bangs are a nightmare, in my opinion. They never lay right, they quickly end up too long or else you cut them too short, they distract from the polishedness of your updos, and they'll spend ages sticking out of your hair at inopportune moments and angles when you do decide to grow them out. You'll get mascara on them. They'll get greasy when you moisturize your face and/or will give you forehead zits. Growing them out will be a pain -- they'll get caught in your glasses hinges, won't stay behind your ears, or will flip out dementedly between your ears and where you've gathered your hair.

LOL. Can you tell I'm growing out impulse bangs?

I can't agree more. I cut impulse bangs. BIG MISTAKE. I think I can remember about 5 key days where I had "good" hair days. The rest were bad bad bad. What happens is that I became dependant on heat styling. I had to blowdry this way or that way to get them just right, then flatiron after. I see that you have similar hair to mine- fine 1a hair, and I don't know about you but my hair doesn't do well with alot of heat and handling.

And when you grow out bangs you will also have the urge to cut layers into the rest of your hair to get the bangs to "blend" more. I spent alot of time and salon visits trying to get the blend just right with dying and cutting and more cutting. I just cut off a bunch more inches because I was sick of the layers I cut into my hair to blend my bangs in. Now my hair is SL (the same length as my bangs were years ago) , and if I had just left it the way it was THREE YEARS AGO I would have been way better off and on my way to WL at this point.

Give your scissors to a friend for 3 months. The growout is too brutal. If you get them cut, you'll tell yourself you like them but deep down you'll regret it. bangs are reserved for a seldom few, personally I think those with high foreheads and thick hair do better with bangs. Look up Olivia Wilde and you can see in pictures her painful growout over the last couple years

There;s my really long rant on bangs!!!!

kganihanova
February 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM
If you're committed to the idea GO FOR IT. otherwise, you're gonna have a bad time. That said, when I had mine, I loved how they looked. I just wasn't committed to the upkeep- so make sure you are okay with getting them trimmed!

shutterpillar
February 19th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Don't do it if you know you'll be miserable. I waited the advised two weeks before getting bangs myself, and while I loved them greatly and they were a nice change for a couple months, I'm too lazy for that nonsense and also don't like having hair in my face. Now they are just being irritating to grow out. :rolleyes:

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Breakouts on the forehead! Mascara! I forgot about those.
See why these threads are important.

I am not committed to the fuss deep down. Peanut head it remains.
Oh I wish I had a better hairline. And I am sooo tired of the 2 frizzy spirals that grow from the underside of my temple.
If I could correct those things I wouldn't even consider bangs.

georgia_peach
February 19th, 2014, 06:09 PM

LOL. Can you tell I'm growing out impulse bangs? I am so going to copy and post this on my bathroom mirror!

ositarosita
February 19th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Don't do it .. I've been growing mine out since the moment I cute them .. October 31st last year

ExpectoPatronum
February 19th, 2014, 07:28 PM
Just wondering...Am I the only one who likes having bangs? lol. Mine take even less maintenance than the rest of my hair does, to be honest. I just comb them out and I'm good to go.

arr
February 19th, 2014, 07:36 PM
No, expectopatronum, you are not the only one. I love my bangs. I think they add interest to my updos and i find them easy to care for. I trim them myself, wash them when they need it, and use the flat iron on them. The only time i dont like them is on a very humid windy day like today was, they looked just awful and there was nothing i could do about it! I think i will pull them back with a headband on days like this.

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Maybe? lol
No,I like bangs, I just don't have the hair for them. I watched one of your youtube videos and you have that nice thick hair that lays correctly. Mine would never look like that I get frizzy wisps that determine their own part and don't stay where they should without a ton of hairspray. I like fluid hair and won't use spray, so as much as i long for them they aren't practical.
hmmm unless I try the texture powders on the market :)

I think most people like bangs until they decide to grow them out. Then they become obnoxious.

ositarosita
February 19th, 2014, 07:42 PM
reaching a goal is like growing out your bangs. It gets ugly, and sometimes you want to give up. But someday it will all be worth it... I read this today and it made me think of this thread

Firefox7275
February 19th, 2014, 07:50 PM
You will look different when/ if you stop heat styling and start wearing your natural waves. I have an unusually small head and look way better with wavy hair pulled off my face loosely than straight hair which inevitably has less volume.

Weewah
February 19th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Don't do it! I trimmed my bangs last night because they kept going in my eyes, and now they look derpy lol

ErinLeigh
February 19th, 2014, 10:26 PM
You will look different when/ if you stop heat styling and start wearing your natural waves. I have an unusually small head and look way better with wavy hair pulled off my face loosely than straight hair which inevitably has less volume.

I wore hair wavy when it was one length and when lightly layered. Until the extreme layers are gone its not feasible.
The bottom lays stick straight now and the layers form a giant poof around neck. I like wavy and straight so I'm not against either, it's just I have to work with the cut I have.
I had such extreme damage after keratin the layers were a must to start over. They truly cannot be worked with wavy. I have tried. I have 1/3 wave. 1/3 curl 1/3 stick straight. Its a weird combo and just doesn't work. The cut was for straight hair for sure. Time will fix that but in the meantime it's been frustrating. I've been maintaining to keep removing the rest of the damage also so I'm kinda dragging the whole process out.

My hair and I are not friends right now. I am eager to go back to days of being happy with it.

Chocowalnut
February 19th, 2014, 10:45 PM
I have that problem too.. I think my face looks really good with bangs but my hair type isn't suited for them, it's too thin. :(

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 11:17 AM
I forgot to mention the keratin has also effected what will wurl and what won't, and what will frizz and what won't.
It's really hard to get to know your hair and get a routine when it is ever changing from growing out keratin and damage.
Frustrating!
I still want bangs. Sigh. I just am so glad I have been reminded why they won't work right now. I needed to hear that because I get very depressed over "bad hair." If they didn't work out I would be very hard on myself.

turtlelover
February 20th, 2014, 04:35 PM
I love bangs, so I will be the rare one to say "go for it" HAHA! I suggest wispy ones and not cutting them back very far on your head, however, so they are easier to blend w/ the rest of your hair if you decide to grow them out.

For styling, I straighten them w/ a flat iron, but any damage gets cut out, so who really cares? If I want to spray them, I cover the rest of my hair w/ a towel. Works like a charm! They get greasy a bit quicker, but three sprays of dry shampoo fixes that.