PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...Why do you measure the length of scalp when measuring hair length?

FallingDarkness
February 18th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I part my hair in the center on a daily basis. I put my tape measure there, and I roll down to the end of my length, and that's my total number of inches. But I saw a pic of someone on here going from the front of their hair, by their forehead, going back across their head and down their back for hair length. If I do this I'll have 23 inches of hair instead of 17, but it doesn't make sense to incorporate scalp length(?) into hair measurement... Can someone explain this to me please? :P

Sarahlabyrinth
February 18th, 2014, 07:00 PM
It is because your hair does run all the way from your front hairline down to the ends of your hair's hemline at the end of your length. Also, measuring from your hairline at the front gives you a consistent point to measure from (unless you have a receding hairline).

ETA: Wouldn't you rather have 23 inches of hair rather than 17? :)

FallingDarkness
February 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
23 definitely sounds more impressive :) That totally makes sense though; I never thought of it like that!!!

HairFaerie
February 18th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I often wondered about this too. I would think that if you took the hair that is along your front hairline and draped it back, it will be way shorter than the hair growing from the nape since it has to travel along your skull. :shrug:

0xalis
February 19th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Yeah, I thought it was silly as well until I learned that it's to have a consistent starting point.

Panth
February 19th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Lots of people don't have partings. Or change their partings often.

You need consistency for the measurements to be worth anything, and this way it's easier to be consistent.