PDA

View Full Version : So it happened to me -- hair stylist cut off too much

Sillage
February 18th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Is this like an LHC right of passage?

I asked for three inches off and she cut off at least FIVE, taking me from waist to mid back. So lame to no longer be at waist but I have to admit my hair looks so much better now. My ends were really scraggly and split... quality over quantity I guess.

Skade
February 18th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Sorry that happened to you. Been through it too and it sucks. But nice that you can see the positive about it. Quality beats quantity yes :) Hope it grows out quickly for you.

woodswanderer
Sadly, I think it might be an LHC rite of passage, along with being bothered about donating hair, and buying a real hair toy. Wonder what other rites of passage would be?

Kiminath
I went to a hairdresser recently for a micro trim. She ripped a hard brush through my hair from top to bottom, probably creating more splits than she cut off. I went home and did a massive s&d. I know I should have said something to stop her.

redredrobin
February 18th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Sorry that happened. It is annoying, but I think it's sometimes difficult for hairdressers to get it exactly right, and they are probably not used to clients being too picky about length so just go with what visually looks about right to them (I'm sure some are just bad hairdressers who don't listen, but not the majority). I don't think they mean to do it.

That said, you totally have my sympathy that you didn't get what you wanted and lost too much length. I'm in mid-back and it's kind of a bleh length on me. Glad you are enjoying the fresh ends though.

JessicaAnn
February 18th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Ugh, I'm so sorry! I just scheduled my first trim since the big chop and even though the lady I'm going to is usually really good I am terrified. But I'm hoping this is the only trim I need to get before summer.

MeowScat
February 18th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I'm so sorry that happened, I wish a "rewind" button could be installed at every salon.

That has happened to me so many times, I've lost track. I haven't been to a salon in over four years. I'd rather do a not-so perfect micro trim on my hair than have a perfect straight line where I lose several months of growth. I'm so thankful that I've tried Feye's Self Trimming Method and bought a Crea Clip.

If you decide to go back there one day, show her on your or her finger how much you want cut off. My index finger joints (where they bend) are about 1 inch between them. I measured them years ago just for hair cuts, haha!

So if I wanted 1 inch off, I'd show her on my finger instead of saying 1 inch. If I wanted 3 inches off, I showed her my entire index finger. The visual was better than the words or showing her by making a letter "C" with my index finger and thumb and saying, "THAT much".

One more thing to try...have her cut it dry since wet hair stretches.

ooglipoo
February 18th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Drat! I hate that it happened to you, too!

Tini'sNewHair
February 18th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Its good that you see the positive after all but i would of been in tears - I remember one time (and many other times) when i was at waist and i asked for a trim, a verrry small trim, this hairdresser "trimmed" my hair all the way to BSL and my hair was NOT damaged, i just simply wanted fresh ends and thought i was due for a trim anyway. AHHHH to many bad experiencess here.

chen bao jun
February 18th, 2014, 03:47 PM
One word. BARBER. they listen to you.

Kherome
February 18th, 2014, 05:36 PM
When I go to the salon, before I sit in the chair I say "There are two thing you will not do or we'll have a big problem. #1 you will not rip a brush or comb through my hair #2 you will not cut more than the exact amount that I will SHOW you." I've never had a problem since I've been doing that.

kdaniels8811
February 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I trim my own hair, no hairdresser for me! Feye's self trim method rocks.

Chiquita Banana
February 18th, 2014, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry that happened to you. Ugh. You're right though in that it is good to have super healthy ends - way to turn a bad situation into a positive!

kidari
February 18th, 2014, 06:59 PM
I agree at least you are focusing on the positive- nice fresh healthy ends to grow back even better than before when you reach waist again! Next time I ever go back to a salon I really want to try one of the George Micheal ones as a treat.

swearnsue
February 18th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I trim my own hair, no hairdresser for me! Feye's self trim method rocks.

Yep, I second this! It saves money and it's very empowering!

ErinLeigh
February 18th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I don't have much to say. Just wanted to be supportive :)
I'm glad you like your fresh new ends but can understand how frustrating it must be to not be a waist at the moment
I bet you will be there quickly though.
Is the length still working for your updos or can you notice a difference?

melesine
February 18th, 2014, 08:01 PM
It happened to me too many times, which is why I started trimming my own hair. But I've since quit trimming. At least until I hit tailbone than then I'll evaluate if I want to maintain there or keep going.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 18th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Maybe someone has already thought of this and opened one...but how great would it be to have longhair salons? Where you could get microtrims...sulfate-free washes...oil scalp massages...deep conditioning treatments made from organic natural real-life ingredients...s&d services...and actual good hair advice???

So sorry about your chop! I always feel like they add an inch or two to my request too. :( I mostly self trim or ask my parents to do it (and I'm in my 30s!)

Alun
February 18th, 2014, 10:10 PM
One word. BARBER. they listen to you.

Unless you are a man. Then you are better off at a salon.

Sillage
February 18th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the support everyone! :grouphug:

Is the length still working for your updos or can you notice a difference?

Yes! I'm not at all proficient with updos but I can all the ones I know. The buns are much smaller unfortunately, but at least they're still there. I have to get out my bun makers and see if I can get some more volume in my updos. :redgrin:

HazelBug
February 19th, 2014, 02:26 AM
I had this happen to me once. I asked for a trim. Maybe an inch off the ends. The person cut more like 5 or 6 inches. I was flabergasted by the stylist's inability to inderstand a basic unit of measurement. I didn't like the chop I got. That happened when I was a teenager trying to grow my hair out.

lapushka
February 19th, 2014, 07:18 AM
If you just say "trim" then hairdressers always assume that fairytale ends or thinner ends are "damage". That's just the way they are. They always want to go for a thicker hem. It's how you phrase it. But if you did make it very clear and she *still* cut more than you asked, then she is fully to blame! In any case, I'm sorry it happened to you. :flower: We all have our share of terrible hairdresser stories.