PDA

View Full Version : okay, I am new, and I need help. lots of it. :)

Steph0087
September 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Hey everyone, this is my first time here, but I have been reading a lot of the posts and am impressed with how serious you guys are about taking good care of your hair!

So here is my situation: I don't know how long it is precisely, but it is a bit past my shoulders. I have layers, but the woman razored them. My hair is super fine, full of split ends, all different lengths (some as short as my chin) - so razoring, in my mind, was not the way to go. I don't know why hairdressers seem to get a kick out of making it look terrible. :( I am also losing quite a bit of hair for some reason - an excessive amount to be honest. When I wash my hair, sometimes I feel like I am pulling out handfulls. :(

Please, please tell me what I can or should do to begin improving the quality of my hair. To be honest, I am not looking for it to be down to my waist - but down my back, and healthy, would be fantastic.

Thanks!

manderly
September 11th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Welcome!

Well, to start off, razor cuts are usually known for causing split ends and other problems, especially if the stylist used a dull razor. I would suggest doing micro trims of just a couple milimeters at the bottom of all your razored ends every so often until you manage to get the razored bits gone into regular blunted ends. This should help with the split end situation for now.

Can we get some more info on your routine? What products do you use, how often do you wash, how do you style your hair? All these things can help us diagnose your shedding. :)

Steph0087
September 11th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply! :)

So my routine is not going to make me too popular here, but here goes:

I wash and condition every morning; let air dry for about 30 minutes, and finish with a blow dryer. Then I straighten the bottom layer to neaten it up, and leave the top layers wavy (my hair is naturally wavy). Or, sometimes, I straighten all of it. When my hair is longer, I feel like I can get away with the wavy look a lot more, but it looks terrible shoulder length. I've been straightening my hair for gosh, probably 5/6 years, so yeah, I know that's not helping.

DiyaC
September 11th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Hi Steph0087, welcome to the LHC. From your post I gather you already know what you're doing wrong and the only way you're going to have great hair is to stop doing those things - blowing your hair dry everyday and straightening. I also suggest that you start wearing your hair up and protecting the ends so that damage can be avoided in the future. You should also use a mild shampoo and conditioner. You could try oiling your hair, that works wonders for most people. You could experiment with routines and find one that actually suits your hair. You will find a wealth of information on these boards that will help you. Happy growing! :)

justgreen
September 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
If you have to wash every day, why not try diluting your shampoo? That is the most harsh thing that comes in contact with your hair, sulphates for cleansing. I put about a tablespoon of shampoo in an applicator bottle with a nozzle tip, add about 3 ounces of warm water. Finger over the tip, shake well and you'll get TONS of lather that still clean excellently. I can go a week without washing (I try not to go that long) and one shampooing with diluted shampoo gets my hair VERY clean.

longhairedfairy
September 11th, 2008, 10:15 PM
A bit more detail might help assess the problem.
Do you scrub your hair roughly while washing and do you always wash the entire length?
Do you scrub your hair with a towel?
Do you brush while wet?
How, exactly, do you detangle?
How close do you hold the dryer and what heat setting do you use?
Do you pull your hair very much while detangling, drying, and styling it?

Pierre
September 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM
To get rid of the split ends, you can cut them off. Since you have fine hair, this will take a very long time. Carry a small pair of scissors around, and whenever you have some time and good light, like waiting for a bus, look for split ends and snip them off.

As to shedding, people shed from time to time; you may just be going through a shedding phase. Or you may be deficient in something.
Protein: total protein is usually not a problem, but keratin contains lots of cysteine, which you can get from onions and relatives.
Sulfur: to prevent the cysteine from being broken down for its sulfur, you can take MSM.
Silicon: strengthens hair and connective tissue.
Biotin: I didn't notice much when I tried it, but lots of people say it makes hair grow faster.

brok3nwings
September 12th, 2008, 08:08 AM
hmmm...
I think you should stop using any kind of heat on your hair, at least for now (your hair is probably weak right now) and start washing less times
Also it is important that you always care for your hair as something sensitive, that can break, never do something harsh like pulling it with your comb or trying to make your hair into something that its not.
What is your type of hair? And what products do you use??
:)

TambourineDream
September 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
I know how hard it is to give up styling habits like straightening, but it really does help in the long run! When it is all shiny, healthy and hair-advert-esque, you will love your natural waves! Maybe start with a rinse of diluter cider vinegar after washing, I found this increases the shininess of my hair looooads. :D

On the shedding front; I have quite a serious shedding problem and recently found out it's because I'm anemic due to a poor diet. Make sure your diet contains lots and lots of iron and protein, hair loves that stuff. Just basically ensure you're eating a healthy, balanced diet in general - I think this is one of, if not THE, most important factor in achieving and maintaining healthy hair - you can only get so far with surface treatments.

Wow that sounded a little preachy :/

Nightshade
September 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Steph- Perhaps you may want to take a look at the damaged hair article in my siggy. There might be a few good ideas in there :flowers:

sherigayle
September 12th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I got a razor cut a few years ago and it was the only time in my life that I had split ends. Razor cuts are evil. I agree with the other poster who said to keep some scissors with you and snip off the split ends whenever you see them. Eventually you will get them all and your hair will feel better. Until then, just try to be more gentle with it and try to lay off the heat.;)

sahiba
September 12th, 2008, 08:50 AM
HI and welcome to LHC :). With all the advices above I just want to add using a wide toothed comb , it really helps especially if you are a daily washer .

ladyloo
September 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I don't straighten or blow dry and my hair is still thin with split ends, even after i snip them off or go for regular trims. My hair is half way down my back and never grows past that because i keep getting in trimmed. I have tried coconut oil and not washing as often. Nothing works! So i know how you feel.

ladyloo
September 12th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Oh and i'm new too!

FrannyG
September 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Well, you seem to know exactly what you're doing wrong. I agree with Justy about diluting your shampoo, or going to Conditioner Only washes. I haven't used shampoo for over two years, and I don't miss it a bit.

As far as your existing splits go, I suggest regular tiny trims, so that you keep growing while you trim away those ends.

Good luck and welcome! :blossom:

Steph0087
September 12th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thank you so much - all of you- for all of your tips. I guess I just need to make more of an effort to take care of my hair. I will try out your tips, and see how it goes!!!!

Elphie
September 12th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I have to say, even though I'm new as well, I've been reading and using some of the ideas here for about two months and I've never seen my hair in better shape.

Kirin
September 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
if you continue to loose a lot of hair, do try dilluting your shampoo WAY down (very watery, it will still foam believe it or not) and cut out conditioner in the shower. Instead, use the conditioner (like a dollop in your hand) after your shower and work it into the damp length, and leave it in.

Some (myself included) shed TONS when using conditioner in the shower if any gets on my scalp, its horrendous.

danacc
September 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Welcome to all the new folks!

Steph0087, others have given some good ideas on the shedding problem. It may just be a normal shed, in which case it will subside on its own. But if you're getting enough iron, protein, and B vitamins, and you've tried keeping the conditioner completely off of your scalp, and you're still shedding, think about things that you changed at the same time the shed started. Your scalp may be reacting if you're putting something new on it.

Katze
September 16th, 2008, 01:33 AM
there are some basic "getting started" articles here that talk about the general principles of better hair care.

Gentle treatment is key. This means no heat (iron, dryer), no rough treatment (including elastics with metal) and maximizing your hair's moisture. The problem is finding your hair type and what works best for it.

If your hair is fine, as mine is, you will have to be extra careful and extra gentle. That's just the way it is.

Otherwise, you've come to the right place, so grab yourself a big mug of your favorite beverage and start surfing!

welcome!

Katze

Kaeri
September 16th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Hiya, I'm quite new here too and tho I already have quite long hair its not in the best condition (yet)

All of the above sound like great ideas, I've just recently started oiling my hair, diluting my shampoo, got rid of my small cheap crappy plastic comb *sob* and have started CWC (condition wash condition), we'll see how my hair likes that shortly. I was going to try CO washing but havent managed to get a cone free shampoo yet (if your shampoo has silicones or you are still using hair products with silicones in apparently the Conditioner Only wash might have a harder time cleaning your hair)

Apart from that if you havent found the articles bit look on the left on the home page - theres some realy cool stuff there (No I'm not being sarcastic - It took me quite a few days of reading through the forums hunting for information before I found that bit :) )

Basically read this as a Hi *waves* message from another newish person here and Happy reading :)

Shanarana
September 16th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Hello, and welcome to the forums. There really is not anything I can add. You got some great tips and hope that you will use them. Your hair will thank you for it.

Happy growing!!!!

BlndeInDisguise
September 16th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I don't straighten or blow dry and my hair is still thin with split ends, even after i snip them off or go for regular trims. My hair is half way down my back and never grows past that because i keep getting in trimmed. I have tried coconut oil and not washing as often. Nothing works! So i know how you feel.

Do you use a hair scissors to cut off split ends? If you use a scissors that's not meant for hair, (usually they're duller) it'll just make your hair split again.

If you want it to keep growing, stop getting trims. ;) There are some people on here that don't trim at all, just snip off split ends. :)

Speedbump
September 16th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Steph0087, can you tell if the hair coming out is breaking off or falling out from the scalp? If it's falling out from the scalp, harsh products and highly chlorinated water could be culprits. If it's breaking off, then products, styling (especially heat styling), how you brush/comb and if you brush/comb it wet can be culprits.

Good luck and happy foruming! ;)

Speedy

ItalianFlower
September 16th, 2008, 06:31 PM
...thread jack, I think: what's this about conditioner causing shedding?

danacc
September 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM
...thread jack, I think: what's this about conditioner causing shedding?

Some people report an increase in shedding when they apply conditioner to their scalp. This usually occurs when trying the CO method of washing; in other wash methods, there is usually no reason to put conditioner on the scalp.

Others have reported no increase in shed when using the CO wash method, and yet others have reported less shedding. So, it's a try-it-and-see, individual sort of thing. (Like most things hair-related, as it turns out...)

mimi1153
September 19th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I've recently started using Biotin Leave In Conditioner on just the last 6-7 inches of my hair (TBL) and it's really making a great deal of difference, I am very pleased.

Just stay tuned on this site and you will learn a wealth of information - I know I have. I have grown my from a razor cut also and like I said earlier, its TBL now in 6-years. :cheese:

Good luck with your hair.