PDA

View Full Version : Vogue: "The Superlong Hair Phenomenon"

clioariane
February 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Apparently long hair has been spotted at some shows during NYFW and will be a 'trend' this year, according to Vogue magazine.

http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/superlong-hair-beauty-trend/#1

Stiria
February 18th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Superlong?:confused: None of the pictures showed hair longer than hip. It is not uncommon where I live, but perhaps it is in other parts of the world? Thanks for the link:)

truepeacenik
February 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM
And it's with "three foot extensions," per the first cutline.

Magalo
February 18th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Eeek. Very long extensions on apl/bsl hair are so ugly. They have to layer the crap out of them so they blend in and it look like s**t.

Madora
February 18th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Just another fad in the fashion world. Not many want to spend real time growing their hair even to waist.

dancingpoet
February 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
I love their liberal usage of the term "super long" :rolleyes: I don't think they make actual super long hair extensions...

GrowingOut
February 18th, 2014, 10:46 AM
So... Does that mean we're trendsetters who grew it first? :)

muddblood21
February 18th, 2014, 10:58 AM
If you listen really hard, you can hear the salons that offer extensions warming up their cash registers. sigh.

I am a little jealous that my hair probably wont be long even by these standards (I [I]might[I] get to BSL by the end of the year) to enjoy it being considered "in style" LOL

tetisheri72
February 18th, 2014, 11:10 AM
Well, I guess if you consider shoulder or APL as long, then hip would be superlong? Of course, I'm at hip and I don't think it's superlong. I barely think it's long.

milque
February 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Just curious, and somewhat off-topic. How can you guys tell that the girls in the pictures are wearing extensions? I'm not doubting or anything, but I genuinely think I'm missing something here. Like just the other day my friend and I were at a bar. She pointed to a girl who I thought had gorgeous hip-length hair, and said "She's so wearing extensions". I can't for the life of me tell. :confused:

Back on topic, I think it's awesome that "super" long hair is a trend now, however brief the trend is. :agree:

RapunzelKat
February 18th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Just another fad in the fashion world. Not many want to spend real time growing their hair even to waist.

^^ This. One of the things I like about my long hair is that it can never really be a "fad" or "trend." Trends pass so quickly that no one would ever have time to grow out their hair just for one fashion season - you'd have to wear extensions. (To each their own of course, but I like my long hair that is *mine*) :)

And while I would definitely consider hip length long, I wouldn't call it super long. That could just be my LHC hair dysmorphia talking though - I've been hanging out on the Classic to Knee thread :D

Stiria
February 18th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Just curious, and somewhat off-topic. How can you guys tell that the girls in the pictures are wearing extensions? I'm not doubting or anything, but I genuinely think I'm missing something here. Like just the other day my friend and I were at a bar. She pointed to a girl who I thought had gorgeous hip-length hair, and said "She's so wearing extensions". I can't for the life of me tell. :confused:

Back on topic, I think it's awesome that "super" long hair is a trend now, however brief the trend is. :agree:

I am curious too. I can never tell if someone is wearing extensions, even when it is obvious to others..:eye:

HairFaerie
February 18th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I didn't see any pics that jumped out at me and said "extensions, obviously". If any were extensions, they are very well done!

Again off topic sort of...I was at the mall yesterday and saw a few young girls sporting obvious, cheap extensions. Their hair was lumpy at the scalp and you could see where it was separated that is was extensions. I personally thought they looked horrible, but to each their own.

These pictures looked nothing like what I saw. Only one was suspect but maybe not. The others looked very much like real hair.

Personally, I would rather have short hair until my hair grows out. I am sure once it is waist+, people will point and stare and accuse me of having extensions too. Oh, well. I will know the truth.

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 11:37 AM
The presence of extensions doesn't jump out at me, either. But the article mentioned extensions 3 or 4 times.

RoseofCimarron
February 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Oh no! I might be in the realm of "trendy"! Someone get me the scissors! :lol: Thankfully, I might be a little too long to qualify..

CavySong
February 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Looked at the pics of the Rodarte show. Some were long, lots looked like extensions, many closeups showed fried hair. But the funny part is if you get to the last 5 of the 38 shots, they have graphics from starwars on the skirts. A death star, full length photo of Luke Skywalker, Yoda, C3Po, etc, like 70s tee shirts reborn on silk and satin skirts, too much!

muddblood21
February 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM

I can usually spot them, but it depends on how they are attached and how well they are blended. I have no ill will toward extensions, it just disappoints me to know that a lot of people who are totally capable of growing really great hair will flock to get extensions just because it is the "in" thing to have long hair...and they just don't want to invest the time. But, to each their own, right? ;)

Nedertane
February 18th, 2014, 08:48 PM
You know, I initially thought "Lol, their hair isn't even that long!" But I guess if you think about it, it might be long for a professional model? Not so much in the sense of "oh, they only have apl-bsl hair, so anything waist+ is superlong to them," but in a sense of proportions. I mean, most of those girls are usually 5'8 and above, so what's waist or hip on them might be tailbone or longer on us not-so-statuesque folk.

blue_eyes
February 18th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I really don't understand how very long hair can suddenly become a trend when it takes so long to grow it. Something about that drives me crazy. Anyone wanting to jump on the bandwagon has to get extensions and I feel like that's cheating :P I say this as someone who had extensions for a couple years about 5 years ago. It was a horrible experience and I'll never go through it again. I was trying to grow out a bob but was desperate to have long hair...extensions seemed like the best option at the time, but I'd never do it again. Ever since I used them I've usually been able to spot them on other people. Anyway, to each their own, but in my experience there is nothing like having hair that is 100% yours.

Michiru
February 18th, 2014, 09:27 PM
OK I can't be the only one who was expecting knee length.

BlueMajorelle
February 18th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Funny, if superlong hair is the fashion this year, I wonder if it will catch on for a long time? It's not something that can be a brief trend since it takes years to accomplish!

Tini'sNewHair
February 18th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Haha to funny, ah well at least for one season i will finally fit in :p

Sillage
February 18th, 2014, 09:53 PM
This is the weirdest article. Long hair is always in fashion. You always see on the runway, you always see it in ads, you always see it in editorials.

Springlets
February 18th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Huh, I had recently read about Taylor Swift cutting her hair to above shoulder, and that was supposed to be a sign of short hair cuts being popular this year. This is why I don't follow trends. :/

Sarahlabyrinth
February 18th, 2014, 10:49 PM
What's the bet that next year the trend will be for the pixie cut?

0xalis
February 19th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Nobody actually wears runway clothes though??? :confused: The fashion world confuses me.

Edit: This comment may not have made much sense. What I mean is that even if for a brief time they show long hair on the runway and such, I'm pretty sure that's not going to effect real people's choices.

White
February 19th, 2014, 12:49 AM
LOL, hip is not super-long. My hair is brushing hip and it doesn't feel or look super long to me. Nor to my friends and family. Where I live many girls have BSL or waist length hair, hip isn't uncommon either, almost every day I see at least one girl with hip length. But I can see why is uncommon in the fashion world, with all that frying and bleaching and dying the hell out of it it can't be long, after all.

I don't like extensions. Why do people want somebody else's hair on ther head? The very idea repels me.

divinedobbie
February 19th, 2014, 12:50 AM
This is the weirdest article. Long hair is always in fashion. You always see on the runway, you always see it in ads, you always see it in editorials.

Yes, I'm in agreement with you. As far as I'm concerned, long hair is always "trendy". When was the last time you saw a (womens) shampoo commerical featuring a bob? Or the last fashion show where a model showed off a pixie cut? I rarely watch TV but I can't say I've ever seen a model with short hair. And even in daily life, if I did a survery of girls at the university I attend or a survery of my facebook friends, I would say atleast half have waist long hair and another quarter would say they wish they did. I just think that long hair is always "in" or at least that's the perspective where I live. (I am referring to "long" as a standard outside of LHC - usually BSL+).

White
February 19th, 2014, 12:57 AM
In the truest sign of a trend in the making, the extreme look has been making its way to the street, where, in turns both minimalist and bohemian, it certainly evokes a dramatic statement-making effect.

Hip long hair is extreme? :rolleyes:

HazelBug
February 19th, 2014, 02:12 AM
I don't think waist to hip is super long. Maybe classic to knee though. I can never spot extensions unless they are really bad. I don't mind if someone wants to use them. But I would hate to have long hair and have people snickering over my nonexistent extensions. I figure that everybody has the choice of what to do with their hair and if they don't want to maintain long hair for real that's their thing. I personally don't enjoy having short hair.

It would be fun if really long hair was the in style for some time. But I think shorter hair will always be just a bit more in fashion since it's easier for most to maintain.

hairpleasegrow
February 19th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Eeek. Very long extensions on apl/bsl hair are so ugly. They have to layer the crap out of them so they blend in and it look like s**t.

Lol so true. Say it like it is !!! :cool:

sunrider_bby
February 19th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Looked at the pics of the Rodarte show. Some were long, lots looked like extensions, many closeups showed fried hair. But the funny part is if you get to the last 5 of the 38 shots, they have graphics from starwars on the skirts. A death star, full length photo of Luke Skywalker, Yoda, C3Po, etc, like 70s tee shirts reborn on silk and satin skirts, too much!

woooow, how in the hell did I miss that!!!! :D I want that collection!! It will be super fashion with my trendy almost-WL super super long hair. ;)

Nae
February 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Hmmm.

I am not sure that they actually understand the definition of "superlong."

MaryO
February 19th, 2014, 04:50 AM
I honestly can't tell who on this pictures are wearing extensions and none of the hair are exactly long by LHC standards but I do love the look. That's where I'm going. Obviously the fad will long have passed by the time I reach that and I'm not in it for the fashionability of it but it's nice to see non-LHC pictures of longer hair (even if it's not in great condition!)

Rinna
February 19th, 2014, 04:55 AM
I think it's safe to assume that most runway models with long hair are sporting extensions.
With the way their hair is always being styled, colored, cut and tortured, it'd be so hard to keep a decent head of long hair.

emilia1992
February 19th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Do you remember last year when it was so fashionable to cut hair? People (at least in the magazines) were having long hair cut off and it was seen as so 'daring' (think Karlie Kloss, Jennifer Lawrence etc), and now I presume they will be all snorting Biotin.

Okay, that last part was only joking (I hope). But it does show how fashion is removed somewhat from the capabilities of normal human beings to follow it exactly. Therefore, this Vogue article is good in two ways: it tells us that long hair can be fashionable (we already knew that!) and that we should do what we like, according to how we like to look, because fashion changes and is just fun, not aesthetic dogma.

apolloinlove
February 19th, 2014, 05:20 AM
this thread seems very judgmental :(

clioariane
February 19th, 2014, 05:25 AM
I know most people on this forum don't think it's very long, but for fashion standards, hip-length is absolutely 'superlong'. Short (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/the-most-stylish-short-haircuts#slide=1) is considered above shoulder, medium (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/best-medium-length-haircuts) length is collarbone and long (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/the-prettiest-long-haircuts#slide=1) is BSL+

Anyway, I think the street style pictures in the article are actually real hair, and the ones at Rodarte & Nascimento are extensions as mentioned in the article. Most models don't grow their hair that long because of constant coloring and styling, plus agencies want girls to have a versatile cut so they can be booked for a lot of different jobs.

MinderMutsig
February 19th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I honestly can't tell who on this pictures are wearing extensions and none of the hair are exactly long by LHC standards but I do love the look. That's where I'm going. Obviously the fad will long have passed by the time I reach that and I'm not in it for the fashionability of it but it's nice to see non-LHC pictures of longer hair (even if it's not in great condition!)

Don't worry, I remember the last 4 times long hair was trendy. You'll be right there next time it comes around. First we'll get medium lengths, then super short pixies, a couple of variations on those and then: presto! Long hair is totally trendy again out of the blue!

Carolyn
February 19th, 2014, 06:27 AM
The extensions have to be pretty bad for me to tell they are extensions. I am seeing lots of waist and even close to hip length hair in real life these days. I've never looked at one of those women and said OMG those are extensions. In any case I love this current long hair trend. It's great to be trendy every decade or so. As someone who doesn't aspire to what we at LHC call super long lengths, I think seeing other people with waist and hip length hair is awesome. I think it's sad that many people these days don't have the patience to grow the real thing for themselves. I'm fine with substitutes for many things in life but for long hair I want it to be mine. I think any positive press for long hair is a good thing. I see way too many articles stating that long hair is lank or listless and needs to be cut off. Long hair being fashionable is great for those of us who intend to be long haired for life.

veryhairyfairy
February 19th, 2014, 07:27 AM
OK I can't be the only one who was expecting knee length.

You're not! I was so excited to see crazy long extensions on fashion models... but the best part about that article is that my hair is officially longer than what Vogue calls "superlong", and my womanly worth is validated for one more season. ;) :p (kidding, of course)

I'll say, I hope that extensions don't become even more popular than they are now. I feel terrible for the uninformed women who get their hair horribly damaged (and possibly lose hair for good in spots) by bad extensions.

Sillage
February 19th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Nobody actually wears runway clothes though??? :confused: The fashion world confuses me.

Edit: This comment may not have made much sense. What I mean is that even if for a brief time they show long hair on the runway and such, I'm pretty sure that's not going to effect real people's choices.

LOL I'm a real person and it effects my choices :flower:

BTW, it's not just that they show long hair on the runways for a brief time-- it's that they do it, without fail, season after season after season.

shutterpillar
February 19th, 2014, 09:12 AM
I must be one of the few who desires NOT to be trendy. ;) My having long hair would set me out of the crowd and that's a plus for me. Hopefully my hair looks real enough to where no one would ever think I was wearing extensions... it would be a shame to have two year worth of all this hard work to have real long hair of my own if someone just thinks I'm following a trend and wearing extensions.

harpgal
February 19th, 2014, 09:46 AM
"Fashion" is fickle. It changes too often for models to grow to very long lengths, therefore the extensions.

I've never been one to follow the herd. I like my hair just the way it is, so I keep it. For me, trends are something to look at. If there is something I like, I choose it. Sorta like looking through the produce in a grocery store. It doesn't matter what others think.

Agnes Hannah
February 19th, 2014, 10:55 AM
way hay! according to vogue I have long hair!!!( doesn't feel that long yet though. Waist here I come!)

meteor
February 19th, 2014, 02:34 PM
I'm really loving the long-hair trend, because more people will know about gentle haircare if they want to grow it long.

I know most people on this forum don't think it's very long, but for fashion standards, hip-length is absolutely 'superlong'. Short (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/the-most-stylish-short-haircuts#slide=1) is considered above shoulder, medium (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/best-medium-length-haircuts) length is collarbone and long (http://www.allure.com/hair-ideas/2013/the-prettiest-long-haircuts#slide=1) is BSL+

Anyway, I think the street style pictures in the article are actually real hair, and the ones at Rodarte & Nascimento are extensions as mentioned in the article. Most models don't grow their hair that long because of constant coloring and styling, plus agencies want girls to have a versatile cut so they can be booked for a lot of different jobs.

This! ^
The only supermodels I can think of that had long hair starting out (e.g. Gisele Bundchen or the late Ruslana Korshunova) eventually were cutting it shorter and shorter... I suspect, the unavoidable damage from styling was at least somewhat to blame.

jacqueline101
February 19th, 2014, 02:39 PM

I agree on this.

sarahthegemini
February 19th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with all of you saying hip length hair isn't long - maybe not according to LHC standards but in the 'real world', hip length hair is long. I swear so many people on here think hair is only long if it's at least knee ...

woodswanderer
February 19th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Wonder what Vogue would say about the heads of hair on here? I must have the LHC dysmorphia too because I expected super long to be longer. I must be super stylish now by Vogues's standards. I wonder if my trendy hair makes up for my ugly comfortable shoes...

HairFaerie
February 19th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Wonder what Vogue would say about the heads of hair on here? I must have the LHC dysmorphia too because I expected super long to be longer. I must be super stylish now by Vogues's standards. I wonder if my trendy hair makes up for my ugly comfortable shoes...

They would say it's "vaguely creepy" or something such. Hahahaha!

woodswanderer
February 19th, 2014, 03:15 PM
You're probably right, sadly.

Sillage
February 19th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Sorry but I have to disagree with all of you saying hip length hair isn't long - maybe not according to LHC standards but in the 'real world', hip length hair is long. I swear so many people on here think hair is only long if it's at least knee ...

Could not agree more!!!

Ambystoma
February 20th, 2014, 04:44 AM
I know most people on this forum don't think it's very long, but for fashion standards, hip-length is absolutely 'superlong'.

Exactly - I know we're all super jaded here and stuff but out in the real world people flip out over how long even my hair is, and it's pretty much "medium length" by LHC standards :laugh:. I also don't give a fig if people on the street think that I'm sporting extensions, and I don't begrudge those who do wear them - I just think long hair looks pretty and I'm always happy to see positive attitudes towards it!

CurlMonster
February 20th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I consider hip-length hair to be long, but not 'statement-making' or 'extreme'. And to say long hair "somehow, miraculously, worked" really implies that you would expect hip-length hair to never be able to look good. I feel the article is acting as if hip-length hair is really 'pushing it' or being as bold (or even bolder!) than the runway clothes... It's a weird stance to take in my opinion because, yes, hip length hair is long, but we've all seen it in real life before. We don't freak out about what statement it's making. That's why I think many of the comments are along the lines of "hip length hair isn't that long" - it's not that hip length hair isn't long, it's that it isn't as long and outrageous as they're playing it up to be, even from a non-LHC viewpoint.

Anje
February 20th, 2014, 08:14 AM
What's the bet that next year the trend will be for the pixie cut?
I think I'd be surprised if it doesn't alternate between "superlong" and pixie for a couple years, just to frustrate the efforts of anyone trying to do this with their own hair.

Stiria
February 20th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I consider hip-length hair to be long, but not 'statement-making' or 'extreme'. And to say long hair "somehow, miraculously, worked" really implies that you would expect hip-length hair to never be able to look good. I feel the article is acting as if hip-length hair is really 'pushing it' or being as bold (or even bolder!) than the runway clothes... It's a weird stance to take in my opinion because, yes, hip length hair is long, but we've all seen it in real life before. We don't freak out about what statement it's making. That's why I think many of the comments are along the lines of "hip length hair isn't that long" - it's not that hip length hair isn't long, it's that it isn't as long and outrageous as they're playing it up to be, even from a non-LHC viewpoint.

^^This exactly. I think of hip length hair as long, but not superlong or extreme.

I think I'd be surprised if it doesn't alternate between "superlong" and pixie for a couple years, just to frustrate the efforts of anyone trying to do this with their own hair.

Haha, they do it on prupose don't they?

Lady melissa
August 29th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Superlong? it's hardly midback or just past their shoulders LOL....it's like when you google images of long hair and you get APL or BSL hair....that's not long!! hahahaha

Angela_Rose
August 29th, 2014, 07:03 AM
We here at LHC have a collective dysmorphic definition vs. the conventional definition of "long hair," as we all know. My definition of "super long hair" or "extremely long hair" falls around mid-thigh and longer. Of course around here we see photos of beautiful knee+ length hair all the time, so we're a little skewed.
Personally, runway fashion or looks have little bearing on my personal style (which sometimes looks like I walked out of medieval England), so it's no biggie how long are the extensions on 6'0" tall, 120lb models.

EdG
August 29th, 2014, 07:10 AM
In the time it takes to grow super-long hair, this "trend" will have come and gone several times. :ponder:
Ed

Madora
August 29th, 2014, 08:21 AM
In the time it takes to grow super-long hair, this "trend" will have come and gone several times. :ponder:
Ed

Truer words were never written, Ed G!

Johannah
August 29th, 2014, 08:42 AM
Ed

Good point! :toast:

Entangled
August 29th, 2014, 09:09 AM
As I have neither the time, money, tastes, skill, or desire to follow fashion trends, it's a bit ironic to think of my hair being trendy, as I normally associate that with dye, highlights, layers, and bobs. In fact, I was almost a little nervous after reading this article, before common sense kicked in. Long hair, by its very nature, cannot be a trend or a fad. In the time it takes to grow Vogue's super long hair, the trend would be long finished. So, I don't have to worry about being the last one to have long hair!(I've always wanted hair at least twice my length, and I want long hair so badly. I suppose I've always had mini hair dismorphia, since I fell in love with the tailbone length hair of a classmate in first grade. All hair shorter than that doesn't pass the barrier of being extra-long (i.e. longer than average) for me. For me, even if other's hair looks longer via extensions, at least I know mine is itself, and grew to get there. That's not to bash on extensions or the people that wear them, but they're not for me.

Now, that's not to say long hair cannot be trendy. Updo wise, there are a multitude of trendy ways to style it. I especially love the braid craze, since it puts pictures and tutorials online for me to learn.
(Except for that braid formed by sliding two strands up the shaft of the third strand. It makes me shudder every time.)

chen bao jun
August 29th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Would it even still be a 'trend?' the article was written in February or so. I would think that all these months later, Vogue must have already moved on.

neko_kawaii
August 29th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Would it even still be a 'trend?' the article was written in February or so. I would think that all these months later, Vogue must have already moved on.

As Sillage kept trying to point out up thread, long hair is frequently present on the runway, someone noticed in February and wrote an article on it. I have a friend (hairstylist in fact) who loves fashion as art and long hair. She is constantly sharing beautiful fashion/art images on Facebook and the bulk of them have long hair, even what WE would consider extremely long. It is out there and you will see it if you look for it.