PDA

View Full Version : Ok so I'm weird

berr
September 11th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I don't think I caused offense. There was a woman at work today that had really nice hip length hair pulled back in a pony tail. She was also about 6' tall so I'd hate to guess how long it actually was in inches. The ends were so thick and there wasn't a split end to be seen.

I complimented her on her beautiful hair and the condition of her ends. She said that she had just cut off 7 inches in april. That would have made it mid-thigh length at least. She seemed good natured about my attention.

I sometimes wonder if I should say anything at all because I read things here where people get a compliment or a remark and it makes them uneasy or they don't like it. I just can't help myself. If I see great hair, I have to tell them I think it looks good. :D

If I see her again I might drop a hint about this site. She truly had amazing hair.

Dianyla
September 11th, 2008, 08:01 PM
As long as you're not being pervy or overly weird about admiring her hair, you most likely weren't causing her offense. :)

Magicknthenight
September 11th, 2008, 08:09 PM
As long as you're not being pervy or overly weird about admiring her hair, you most likely weren't causing her offense. :)

I agree. who doesn't like compliments?
I never feel uneasy because its something i really care about and i like it when people notice it. -as long as its genuinely nice
what a lucky sight to see :D

Jean_Grey
September 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Hair compliments always make my day. And they always seem to come right when I'm contemplating "chopping it all off" or thinking I'm having a bad hair day. :)

Zombiekins
September 11th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Aww, compliments are always welcome. It's the "creepy stuff" like touching strangers or saying something weird like "I bet you'd be pretty mad if someone came up behind you and snipped it off!" that upsets people. ;)

Teazel
September 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
saying something weird like "I bet you'd be pretty mad if someone came up behind you and snipped it off!" that upsets people. ;)

:eek: :scared:

Zombiekins
September 11th, 2008, 08:37 PM
:eek: :scared:
Yeah, some lady at a CompUSA walked up to my boyfriend and I and that was the first time out of her mouth. It's the only time I've gotten something "weird" said to me. Well...unless you count that one time some guy told me I should shave my head because it would look sexy. But that was before my hair was even past my shoulders, so it wasn't long hair specific. :p

longhairedfairy
September 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I can't imagine that she would have been offended:) It was a nice compliment!

berr
September 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Yeah, but pervy or weird are subjective. People interpret things in different ways. I hope she didn't take offense. It certainly wasn't meant that way. I really wanted to feel it but I didn't. People (especially little old ladies) feel my hair often and their curiousity doesn't bother me at all. They will say something along the lines of wishing they could grow their hair long or they'd had long hair when they were young and miss it. I've seen others write that having their hair touched offends them. I respect that. Personally I feel more invaded by close talkers. LOL

LadyG, I'm glad to know it makes your day. I hope I made her day. :D

ChloeDharma
September 11th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Oh i've actually chased people before to give them a compliment. Last time was a woman in the local shopping centre wearing what i can only describe as my ideal wooden platforms......so i chased her down, complimented them and asked where she got them....thinking they might even be in a sale or something....but no, Spain she said....but she was grinning like a Cheshire cat at the compliment.

I don't think people mind genuine compliments, if they do then that's really not your problem....i'd love to receive hair compliments but never do, i used to when i hennad more and the colour was brighter but now it's always in a bun and not often hennad they have dried up.
Actually i complimented an Indian lady behind the ciggy kiosk in sainsburys the other day, she was really chuffed and it provoked a chat on Indian haircare and face mask recipes.....i was in heaven!

cuddledumplin
September 11th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I'm sure she was overjoyed with your comment. I don't think a hair compliment has ever offended me, so I'm sure she was cool with it.

berr
September 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Oh i've actually chased people before to give them a compliment. Last time was a woman in the local shopping centre wearing what i can only describe as my ideal wooden platforms......so i chased her down, complimented them and asked where she got them....thinking they might even be in a sale or something....but no, Spain she said....but she was grinning like a Cheshire cat at the compliment.

I don't think people mind genuine compliments, if they do then that's really not your problem....i'd love to receive hair compliments but never do, i used to when i hennad more and the colour was brighter but now it's always in a bun and not often hennad they have dried up.
Actually i complimented an Indian lady behind the ciggy kiosk in sainsburys the other day, she was really chuffed and it provoked a chat on Indian haircare and face mask recipes.....i was in heaven!

I just looked at your profile picture and I can't believe you don't get compliments. You have beautiful hair. I love the color. I'm a bit partial to red.

I'd be in heaven, as well, if I could find someone to discuss long haircare in person.

ilovelonghair
September 11th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I complimented her on her beautiful hair and the condition of her ends. She said that she had just cut off 7 inches in april.

Some women have difficulties accepting compliments, the kind of thing when you compliment someone with her dress and she says: 'oh but it's just an old rag'. In this case she said: 'I just cut 7 inches off'.

Teazel
September 11th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I hardly ever get compliments in RL either, only here on LHC. It's funny, because if I wear my hair down in public I catch peoples' eyes sliding hurredly away when I turn around... I mean they must be looking, simply because hair as long as mine is so unusual, whether they like the look of it or not. But for some reason they're not open about their interest, and certainly don't venture a comment. The only compliment I remember in years and years (apart from close friends and family) came from a lady who looks after the showers at Singapore airport. We had a good old chin-wag about hair care. :lol:

So yeah; in short, I don't think compliments get given enough. You should feel good that you gave one. :flower:

psycho
September 11th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I imagine she was fine with it :)

I also love compliments, though little old ladies are the ONLY ones who can get away with touching my hair...same as I don't mind when older people touch my shoulder when they talk to me but it makes me uncomfortable when anyone else does, not sure why.

I can only think of one compliment that ever made anyone uncomfortable, and it wasn't the person receiving the compliment...it was my SO being uncomfortable. Hey, I can't help it if I can't resist commenting when I see a guy with great long hair ;)

ilovelonghair
September 12th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hey, I can't help it if I can't resist commenting when I see a guy with great long hair ;)

They need compliments too :)

Arctic
September 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
At least here in Finland I think people should give more compliments to each other. Almost everybody loves getting genuine compliments, and they can not only brighten the day of the receiver, maybe even change the way s/he perceives her or himself in a positive way.

Arctic_Mama
September 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM
As long as the compliment is genuine it might cause some bashfulness but the very best kind. No matter how funny or embarrassing it feels to receive a compliment it's ALWAYS better to be generous with them. You never know how badly someone might need that little encouragement and appreciation from a stranger.

ChloeDharma
September 12th, 2008, 03:23 AM
I just looked at your profile picture and I can't believe you don't get compliments. You have beautiful hair. I love the color. I'm a bit partial to red.

I'd be in heaven, as well, if I could find someone to discuss long haircare in person.

Awww bless you hun.....thankyou :smooch:

Chrissy
September 12th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Just yesterday I was at a shopping center and saw a woman with an incredibly beautiful bun. It was wrapped several times so I wanted to comment on how pretty it was. It is hard because you don't want people to think you're weird. A good thing was a bit earlier I had seen two kids in a cart and there Mom (the lady I'm speaking of) was just a ways away. One of the boys was standing up in the cart trying to reach this toy. So I told him to be careful and not fall! I handed him the toy. Then later I ran into her in another aisle and commented on that it was me that handed him the toy. She told me her son had said the lady gave me this toy. I told her it was me. We talk a bit about our kids. This kind of opened up a conversation. It was still hard to complement her as I didn't want her to think I was strange. I told her her hair was beautiful and asked her how long it was. She indicated it was thigh length. I would have loved to have seen it down. I bravely told her about our little place here and assured her it wasn't a place for hair ******es. She said she may check it out. It was still a bit akward but I did it anyway. So I hope she checks us out!!! I guess it's just a chance you take and hopefully the person you are complimenting wont feel uncomfortable. If I get a good vibe from the person I share the web address here.

Solange
September 12th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I think it would be very rare that a compliment would be ill-received if it is given respectfully. Even if a person seems shy when complimented, it doesn't mean it's not appreciated. It's a small risk to take to brighten a person's day.

Xandergrammy
September 12th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I think this world needs more compliments, so I don't think it's weird at all. I just blurt it out and any time I say something nice, it's usually well received.

berr
September 12th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I think this world needs more compliments.

Ditto that!!

Thanks for the replies. I don't feel so weird now. LOL

LadyLongLocks
September 13th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I compliment people on their hair a lot. They seem to appreciate it. Funny thing is, mine is hidden in a bun so they have no clue how long mine is and they usually don't notice anyway.
I think that if you take the time to compliment someone, they shouldn't be upset, disturbed or annoyed. If they are just smile and move on.
Maybe the woman missed her length being it was cut 7", but it does explain the blunt thick ends. Her hair sounds nice.

FrannyG
September 13th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I think you can never go wrong with a genuine verbal hair compliment. I've yet to meet anyone who didn't seem happy to be complimented.

CopperHead
September 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
There is a little girl that rides her bike in my neighborhood. She has the most amazing hair I have ever seen. Long, thick, wavy and sun streaked. One evening she rode in front of me and I told her she had beautiful hair. She thanked me as she rode away, and I hope it will encourage her to keep that incredible hair. She had it in a single braid that was about tailbone length. Sometimes a compliment means the difference between cutting or keeping long hair. I cut my hair many years ago from long to very short and my co-workers had a fit. They never said anything before or I might have changed my mind.

Kat
September 13th, 2008, 03:49 PM
The only compliments that annoy me are those vague "your hair is so long!!" comments. I never know how to respond. "Thank you" seems like I'm thanking them for pointing it out, as if I didn't know, like it was a tail light out or something. But I never know what else to say. I mean, it's not really a compliment--at best, it's an observation, at worst, they could mean it in a bad way. (any ideas about how to respond? I always want to gasp and look behind me while shrieking "IT IS????" or maybe say "oh damn, did I forget to cut it again?" or maybe just a sarcastic, "very observant of you. Sorry, I'm all out of prizes today though.")

One thing about compliments is that sometimes it seems people are saying I have "beautiful" hair just because it's long, and not because it actually looks good. I mean, come on--the time I went to the farmer's market just after washing my hair and left it down to air-dry, and it was hanging half-wet and stringy down my back? I wondered if the guy who said "your hair looks good" was being sarcastic. He had to have been--it looked awful! (I believe the way my friend put it once when I was in middle school and showed up to an orchestra rehearsal with just-washed, still-damp hair--and this was when it was only shoulder-length, if that!--was, "oh, you just washed it? Okay. Because I was gonna say, you look like you just crawled out of a rat hole or something.")

Teazel
September 13th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Kat, your post just gave me a few good cackles - and I haven't even had my coffee yet! :lol:

Yes, that old "Your hair is so long!" It flummoxes me, too. I've been known to respond with, "Well, that's what happens when you don't cut it". I mean, what the heck are you supposed to say? :hmm:

aprilmay
September 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Compliments are fabulous! What a fortunate person to have hair that long with thick, undamaged ends.

sneakybea
September 14th, 2008, 01:11 AM
"You're hair is so long" is always challenging to respond to, because you don't really know whether it's a compliment. I tend to interpret it as one and say thank you, and if I'm wrong, I don't want to know!
I think a lot of people don't know how to react when they receive compliments, but maybe if we give them more freely (and sincerely, of course), they will get more used to them and learn! And even acting uncomfortable doesn't mean they don't appreciate the compliments.
Sneakybea

SparklePi
September 14th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I hope the lady took it as a compliment, I sure would!

Kat that was soo funny! Great comebacks.
Maybe I'd use them if I had the occasion, except no one says anything about my hair! It's not *extremely* long and I don't wear it down and loose often..but still, you'd think longer than waist length, good condition hair would occasionally be noticed. *shrug* Even if they just say "that's some long hair" i'd be happy :)

I do give compliments to men on their hair, not long hair, just in general, because men so rarely get compliments on their physical attributes. And you KNOW older men with all their hair are quite vain about it! LMAO!!
I mean, women compliment each other, as friends, co-workers, just girls in the restroom LOL! For example: "hey that is a great lipcolor on you" or "awesome shoes!!", but men don't get that. IMO!
I do try to brighten other peoples' day on a regular basis. You never know when you are the difference between the depths of depression and getting through the afternoon with a smile. You never know what is going on in someone else's life! That checkout girl who is grumpy may be standing on blistered feet with underpants cutting into her butt and her bra wire poking her too (lol!) or her husband just lost his job or her kid is ill. Ya just never know. You being nice could be the difference.

Note: There is a risk! Men so seldom hear anything nice like this that they figure you are hitting on them. Now that i'm 30's and am pregnant AND have a kidlet with me all the time, it's not taken as hitting on the guy as often. :D

InDarkestKnight
September 14th, 2008, 04:21 AM
I would love to give compliments to the people I see around sometimes with long hair. Thing is, I never know what to say. How to sound genuine without coming off creepy... If only I could think of the right thing to say!

Kat
September 14th, 2008, 07:17 PM
That checkout girl who is grumpy may be standing on blistered feet with underpants cutting into her butt and her bra wire poking her too (lol!) or her husband just lost his job or her kid is ill.

I'm glad someone thinks this way! When I worked at McDonald's, sometimes when I'd complain about a jerky customer, my mom would say "maybe they're having a bad day." I'd always retort, "Maybe I'M having a bad day too! For all they know my whole family just died, and they're being a jerk and making my day WORSE?" I never thought being on the "wrong" side of the counter was an excuse to treat someone like crap--some folks would argue that "that's what they get paid for" but if that were true, they'd be making a hell of a lot more than minimum wage to be treated like that! (Unfortunately I'm one of those idealists who doesn't think a person has the right to treat another person like crap without the other person deserving it...and few people subscribe to that philosophy. I just have a hard time accepting "that's the way things are" as an excuse for bad stuff in the world. Sure, how things "should be" isn't always how they "are," but why does that let us off the hook for TRYING to make things as they "should be"??)

Gumball
September 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Not weird at all. Sometimes a compliment, in good terms, can really be a highlight of a person's moment, day, or more. Usually people can tell when it's sheer kindness and that tends to be the best thing. Some may get uncomfortable, but maybe some just aren't used to it and may not know how to react?

Kaeri
September 15th, 2008, 08:37 AM
To the 'Your hair is SO long' comments. I tend to just smile and say yeah. It usually leads on to the 'How long have you been growing it?' Question which I have no idea how to answer - 'It's just kinda been growing' doesnt go down too well :)

I'm one of those people who never know how to take a compliment and tend to half freeze and give an awkward smile if someone does actually compliment me but it still gives me a warm feeling inside - I'm sure the woman you complimented saw it as one no matter how she reacted.

aprilmay
September 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I think that sincere compliments are great. I am sometimes self conscious about the length of my hair, but when people say nice things about it, I appreciate it.

psycho
September 15th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I usually respond to "your hair is so long" with "Thanks! I've been really trying to grow it" or "Thanks! I've been working hard on it". I just consider long in itself as a compliment, since many people don't even know what to look for in a healthy vs. unhealthy head of hair.

I think the best compliment I've gotten recently was "Wow! Your hair is incredibly long". That's the first time that has happened...I still don't think it's "incredibly long", but maybe I'm just too used to seeing all the gorgeous pictures here of knee-floor length hair? At any rate, a compliment is a compliment (and the way she said it was apparent it was a compliment) so I'll take it :D

catekat
September 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Everyone's different, but with a compliment like that she must have been pleased. Sounds like she has really nice hair. :p

Kat
September 22nd, 2008, 05:45 AM
I think the best compliment I've gotten recently was "Wow! Your hair is incredibly long". That's the first time that has happened...I still don't think it's "incredibly long",

If it's past your shoulder blades, it's "incredibly long" in this society! When I've seen "long hair" said about shoulder-length in hair articles....yeah. LOL.

I love when people ask, "have you EVER cut your hair??" Uh, yeah! It's long but come on, this isn't 25 years of growth! I bet they're surprised when they hear that from about 4th grade through high school, it was chin length...I never know what they want to hear, do they want me to say I've never cut it for religious reasons or something?

NeilTheFuzz
September 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
It's strange actually. Because like you say, I tend to get a bit defensive about people I don't know talking to my about my hair, partly because something tells me when this happens I normally think that the person in question is taking the piss out of me - especially young people.

However, I do think it's good that you compliment peoples hair, so long as you make it quite clear that you're just being nice rather than an idiot who thinks they are funny - unfortunatley there are plenty of them around where I live.

Neil