PDA

View Full Version : Should I go back to cones?

glittergloss
February 18th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Hi,
Everytime I wash my hair my hair turns really dry and very tangly. I use sulfate and cone free herbal shampoo and a sulfate free, cone free conditioner. I've started the routine of shampoo first then conditioner and then conditioner wash again due to the dryness and very tangled hair I get. Before I switched to cone free shampoo and conditioner my hair would feel very soft and manageable but now they feel like fried hair. If I switch back to cones should I use both cones shampoo and conditioner or just cone conditioner?
Thank you.

Kherome
February 18th, 2014, 04:38 AM
I'm guessing the problem could be that underneath that plastic-y coney coating you were keeping on your hair, the hair got progressively drier and drier which was masked by the silicone. Since you've discovered this, I think the most important thing you can do now is work to correct the problem rather than cover it up again. Have you tried a really good long/strong SMT? You really need to get the moisture back in to the hair. Once the dryness is corrected (which could take over a month of careful moisturizing) you could consider going back to cones, but you'd need to manage them carefully in order to prevent this from happening again. (Chelating shampoo at least once a month to assess what is under there again etc.)

I think you'll find lots of people here who found what you found under the cones they'd been using. That's why cones get such a bad rap around here. They mask a problem quite easily.

ETA: You have chelated since you use SLS free products, right?

glittergloss
February 18th, 2014, 04:59 AM
The reason why I quit using cones was that I've started getting very bad itchy scalp.
I've heavily oiling my hair before wash which is once a week and oil my hair after my hair dries but the result is still very very dry and impossible to comb.
I wanted to try the SMT but I've read somewhere that it's not advisable if you live in a dry warm climate coz it sucks all the moisture out of your hair from the honey.
Maybe I should find other cone free brand shampoo and conditioner. I have 2 herbal shampoos but they both make my hair really dry.

glittergloss
February 18th, 2014, 05:09 AM
ETA: You have chelated since you use SLS free products, right?[/QUOTE]

They don't sell any chelating shampoos here so I just washed my hair w/ sulfate shampoo for the last time.
I've also been doing vinegar rinse every wash.

Kherome
February 18th, 2014, 05:33 AM
You can eliminate the honey from the SMT if you want, it won't affect it much.

What sort of oil are you using? Oil doesn't really provide moisture to hair, and certain types can make hair feel crunchy for some folks.

Wosie
February 18th, 2014, 05:36 AM
Oil doesn't really provide moisture to hair, and certain types can make hair feel crunchy for some folks.

...Especially if you put the oil on dry hair. That's why I always wet my ends before I oil them these days. :)

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2014, 06:10 AM
If you really want to go back to 'cones, a leave-in might be a better idea if you tend to react badly on your scalp during washes. However, your hair getting dry now is probably either a) residual damage or b) build-up. Winter is also hell on hair, and you might also need another clarifying wash.

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 06:16 AM
Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right products for your hair type. A couple of years ago, I was using the Petal Fresh brand, and it made my hair feel like you're describing - dry and tangly. Then I found Renpure Originals Luxurious argan oil formula shampoo, conditioner, and leave in on sale, and my hair has been as close to perfect as it has ever been since then. The leave-in does have cones along with the argan oil, and it makes my hair feel wonderful - soft and silky. I don't buy anything else now, except for a clarifying shampoo (VO5 kiwi lime squeeze) that I use once every other month or every third month - whenever my hair goes limp and dull. I don't use the leave-in every time I wash, and when I do use it, I use it sparingly - maybe 4 or 5 drops finger-combed through my length.

I also coconut oil the night before washing about once per week, and about once per month I do a deep conditioning treatment with Regis Designline hydrating balm.

glittergloss
February 18th, 2014, 10:13 AM
You can eliminate the honey from the SMT if you want, it won't affect it much.

What sort of oil are you using? Oil doesn't really provide moisture to hair, and certain types can make hair feel crunchy for some folks.

I use different kinds of oil. I thought it was the coconut oil that was making me hair dry so I didn't put it on my hair. I alternate the oils that I use but always w/ castor oil on the scalp. I use brahmi oil, oil from India that smells like lemongrass (it's in the kitchen but I'm holding my baby right now so can't check out the name of the oil), amla, mustard seed oil, olive oil. When I henna my hair though, my hair gets so shiny and soft. I just use a cone free conditioner after washing the henna out.

glittergloss
February 18th, 2014, 10:16 AM
If you really want to go back to 'cones, a leave-in might be a better idea if you tend to react badly on your scalp during washes. However, your hair getting dry now is probably either a) residual damage or b) build-up. Winter is also hell on hair, and you might also need another clarifying wash.

I'll try clarifying on my next wash and see. Thanks.

truepeacenik
February 18th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Cones can also be seasonal. I've noticed a few posters talking about light cones for winter.
I requested a conditioner while a friend was at Costco, and disco peered it has dimethicone.
So, I use it carefully, and find I like the slip.

Sure, it's basically WD40 for hair, but in winter, it's working.

(And my hair isn't all that picky about cones one way or the other, it's me and thinking about waste water)

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Hair feeling 'dry' or rough is not necessarily the same thing as hair lacking water: could be build up, damage, failure to condition effectively, etc. Too many of us are shocked at the true condition of our hair when not loaded in silicones.

Sulphate free shampoos can be gentle or harsh depending on the ingredients and pH, silicone free conditioners can be super light or super rich and conditioning depending on the ingredients and pH. Oiling can be over emphasised on LHC, it can be overdone or be unsuitable/ unnecessary for some hair types. Castor oil is sticky and can be difficult to shift. Remember that natural oils are 100% active ingredient, conditioners are 90% water so less can be more.

Try a gentle shampoo free of all anionic surfactants (olefin sulfonates are especially harsh) with a low acidic pH, not oiling just focussing on the basic conditioning agents/ major emollients (fatty alcohols, cationic surfactants). Consider ingredients that are known for their slip or patch repairing damage, and are suited to your hair properties and dew points/ humidity. You may consider leaving some conditioner in.

ErinLeigh
February 18th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I am going through this exact same situation and trying to decide as well
I bought some water soluble coney conditioner and a water soluble coney leave in to experiment with. I am going to try those soon in different combinations and see what I think. I am starting with water soluble ones as I am not ready to completely give up my current routine. I want to bounce back and forth.

Personally I stay away from cones in shampoos. They tend to make my hair feel dry yet oily.
I also don't like scrubbing cones into my scalp.
I think conditioner or leave in is plenty without having to add them to shampoo. I want shampoo to remove possible buildup, not add more things in. Just my opinion on the matter.

I am also finding my hair needs different ingredients during different times or seasons. That's another thing to consider.
I say clairify in case you have oil buildup and see what you think. If hair is still the same you could always experiment for a week or a month with cones and see how you feel. You may find there is a time and place for all things on your routine.

I wish you luck finding what you seek. I know how hard it is to start cones back after going cone free
Initially I loved cone free and didn't want to let that go. I developed an almost negative reaction to cones in my mind. Its hard to shake that. Yet I do think cones really do work and I am starting to feel I can have it all with just a bit more awareness this time around.

As far as shock of cone free hair, that wasn't it for me. When I first went cone free my hair felt and looked better. Very soft and shiny. I haven't changed my routine but it just seemed over time the dryness and tangles started setting in. I clarify often so it's not buildup. I also chelate. I use oils and seal and everything I am supposed to do. It's just something is changing in my hair and I need to address it. I guess it may be seasonal or something but its enough of a difference I too am wondering about adding cones back for now.
I totally get what you are describing.

Let's hope clairifying helps. But if it doesn't isn't great there are cones to fall back on when needed :)

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 01:18 PM
I am going through this exact same situation and trying to decide as well
I bought some water soluble coney conditioner and a water soluble coney leave in to experiment with. I am going to try those soon in different combinations and see what I think. I am starting with water soluble ones as I am not ready to completely give up my current routine. I want to bounce back and forth.

Personally I stay away from cones in shampoos. They tend to make my hair feel dry yet oily.
I also don't like scrubbing cones into my scalp.
I think conditioner or leave in is plenty without having to add them to shampoo. I want shampoo to remove possible buildup, not add more things in. Just my opinion on the matter.

I am also finding my hair needs different ingredients during different times or seasons. That's another thing to consider.
I say clairify in case you have oil buildup and see what you think. If hair is still the same you could always experiment for a week or a month with cones and see how you feel. You may find there is a time and place for all things on your routine.

I wish you luck finding what you seek. I know how hard it is to start cones back after going cone free
Initially I loved cone free and didn't want to let that go. I developed an almost negative reaction to cones in my mind. Its hard to shake that. Yet I do think cones really do work and I am starting to feel I can have it all with just a bit more awareness this time around.

Silicones are often in shampoo to make it feel gentler/ disguise the effects of harsh surfactants.

glittergloss
February 23rd, 2014, 05:43 AM
Thank you all for responding.
I finally clarified my hair and I used a conditioner twice to prevent dryness. The result is the same. My hair is very dry and very tangled. I hate wash day now coz I always lose a lot of hair just to detangle my hair and I'm stuck w/ dry yucky hair. I will buy a different cone free shampoo and conditioner this week and see if the result is still the same. If so, then I will switch to cones again.

bunzfan
February 23rd, 2014, 05:48 AM
Thank you all for responding.
I finally clarified my hair and I used a conditioner twice to prevent dryness. The result is the same. My hair is very dry and very tangled. I hate wash day now coz I always lose a lot of hair just to detangle my hair and I'm stuck w/ dry yucky hair. I will buy a different cone free shampoo and conditioner this week and see if the result is still the same. If so, then I will switch to cones again.

It can just take awhile to see results ive been cone free for 3 weeks , if you are struggling with dry hair try this http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Firefox7275
February 23rd, 2014, 10:29 AM
Hi,
Everytime I wash my hair my hair turns really dry and very tangly. I use sulfate and cone free herbal shampoo and a sulfate free, cone free conditioner. I've started the routine of shampoo first then conditioner and then conditioner wash again due to the dryness and very tangled hair I get. Before I switched to cone free shampoo and conditioner my hair would feel very soft and manageable but now they feel like fried hair. If I switch back to cones should I use both cones shampoo and conditioner or just cone conditioner?
Thank you.

Sulphate free shampoo and silicone free conditioner are HUGE categories, ranging from harsh olefin sulfonate shampoos to gentle glucoside ones and humectant laden lightweight conditioners to heavy butter and wax laden ones. Some products are known for their slip, others not so much.

Different hair types respond to different ingredients, it can also be a shock seeing and feeling the true condition of your hair. Persevere, choose new products in a methodical or logical manner, read ingredients lists.

What are your hair properties (coarseness, porosity, elasticity)? Are you using ingredients that replace the properties of silicones? Are you using ingredients that build up such as excessive hydrolysed protein?