PDA

View Full Version : makeover opinion?

ErinLeigh
February 17th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Which style do you like better - the before or after..and why.
http://www.totalbeauty.com/content/slideshows/straight-listless-style-gets-major-makeo/page1

I like both looks, I was just surprised the stylist gave her a cut that would take effort to style as the girl liked wash and go hair.
She admitted she wanted a change however but sometimes I think there is a better "happy medium" between the extremes. I don't think this cut will work well in day to day wear unless styled and curled which will give her heat damage she never had to deal with before. I wonder if she will grow it out?

I like short cuts, I just hate to see someone who wants simple get something more complicated than they may want to commit to.

Syaoransbear
February 17th, 2014, 10:24 PM
I like the before. She looked her age before, but now she looks 35. And maybe it's just the smile but I think the long straight hair made her large cheeks look less round.

Crumpet
February 17th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I prefer the before also. A small trim would have been worthwhile but the new cut? Shudder!

0xalis
February 17th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I laughed because they bleached her hair and she thought it looked/felt healthier afterwards!! I still think she's cute in the after but I'm still biased towards long hair.

divinedobbie
February 17th, 2014, 10:42 PM
I much prefer the before...I don't see how the after style is easy to maintain. She'll need to go back for cuts and to even out her layers as they grow at different rates. She'll need to heat style and touch up the colour as it grows out. Plus she just looked better with her original hair style.

Weewah
February 17th, 2014, 11:05 PM
This is what happens when you tell the hair dresser they can do whatever they want. Something high maintenance.

Hele
February 17th, 2014, 11:16 PM
aww, i much prefer her original look. The new cut is aging, and once she gets sick of maintaining that look it's going to be a mess to grow out. She started off a natural beauty and now she just looks kind of typical, which sounds mean of me to say. But as long as she's happy with it that's all that matters.

Lyv
February 17th, 2014, 11:26 PM
I liked the before better. I think the after made her look older and looks like it'll take a lot more effort to do the before was more natural and fresh imo.

redredrobin
February 18th, 2014, 03:04 AM
Thanks for the link, I like reading about makeovers.

I noticed that they said her hair was chemical free and a blank canvas, which I was surprised about, it looked like it had some colour in it, and then later it said she had partial highlights.

Also it was all about her getting a simple style and then they gave her something that needed to be curled to give it the 'texture'.

I think they had to do something very different for the sake of the feature, but I'm not sure it was the best thing for her needs. Personally I prefer the before.

Tini'sNewHair
February 18th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I like the before because I think it made her look younger, it was softer on her facial features and it was easy to maintain. There is a HUGE difference between a cut and a styled cut, without heat and products, her style will just be plain and maybe even odd if they added crazy random layers in. I wouldn’t like it. She looks older in the after photos, the cut and fridge gives her facial features a harsher look.

inanna
February 18th, 2014, 04:05 AM
I think this is a perfect example of just how specific you need to be if you tell your hairdresser you want something that is wash and go.

The article says:
"
Because her hair is naturally stick-straight, Mekertichian said the cut would create natural texture for Caitlin and a natural bend in her hair.

"She won't really have to work it," says Mekertichian. "Just a spritz of texturizer and scrunching her ends a little will do the job. It's modern, simple, sexy and sophisticated."
"

Just a spritz of texturizer will make her 1A hair magically transform into the 3A hair they turned it into with a curler?

I'm sure the hairstyle might look nice with minimal styling, but it would have been nice to see what would have happened if the stylist didn't glam it up too much. Then again, she did say she wanted a change! :)

glittergloss
February 18th, 2014, 05:15 AM
I like the before but her hair needed a little cutting though for some volume.

Wosie
February 18th, 2014, 05:21 AM
Heh, I honestly think she looks younger in the after picture, but I still don't think it was the right cut to get if you want a low maintenance one. This cut will probably not look very good without some products in it and a flat iron to boot... shudder:

NuclearApple
February 18th, 2014, 05:22 AM
I like the before, she looks older after :( and yeah that cut needs to be heat-styled every single day, since her hair is stick straight. She looked so natural and beautiful, what a pity in my opinion.

CurlMonster
February 18th, 2014, 05:36 AM
I'm almost never a fan of make-overs. I think they are interested more in shock-value than in actually giving the person something they will enjoy. If she likes low-maintenance hair it is clear she will not enjoy her new cut.

missbexy
February 18th, 2014, 05:41 AM
I also prefer the before and can't imagine that new style being low maintenance at all no matter what the stylist said. I'd like to see what the after cut looks like without being professionally styled.

millyaulait
February 18th, 2014, 05:52 AM
I think the after picture made her cheeks stand out more and definitely aged her but the hair in the first is lanky, unflattering & lifeless looking. I think they could have just taken a few inches off, added some face framing layers, freshened up the colour and cut in better side bangs. Both look bad, IMO. I can't say which I like least.

walterSCAN
February 18th, 2014, 06:00 AM
aww, i much prefer her original look. The new cut is aging, and once she gets sick of maintaining that look it's going to be a mess to grow out. She started off a natural beauty and now she just looks kind of typical, which sounds mean of me to say. But as long as she's happy with it that's all that matters.

^This. But, I personally really don't like the after cut. It is a little aging on her and to me it makes her hair look thinner somehow, and in my opinion is closer to 'listless' than the before picture was. The before picture just looked like it needed combed a little. :shrug: To each her own. I'm glad she seemed happy with it after it was all over with, but I wonder if she's still happy with it now?

Also, I really wish they'd make an effort to get the same lighting and facial expression in before/ after photos like this. I find it rather disingenuous that after photos always have a beaming smile and great lighting while before photos are always dimmer and their facial expression is usually rather drab-- it's possible to look past those effects, but some people won't, and if the changed style really is a lot more flattering on the person they shouldn't need to try to skew the viewer's perception like that.

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 06:05 AM
Like millyaulait, I don't like either style. I don't think she'll have to heat style every day, though. She could probably just finger-comb some gel or mousse through and scrunch for a bit of texture.

restless
February 18th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Without clicking the link I can say I dont really like this thread and whats going on here.

What I like about this forum is that the members always seem genuinely nice. People are supportive and kind. It doesnt really matter what pictures are being posted because people will find something pretty about it and compliment it instead of writing out the negative things...

But this thread is about a girl who did not post these picture(s) here herself. I bet this girl isnt even a member here and still, grown up people are bashing her looks, saying she now looks old, it was better before, her face looks harsher, her cheeks rounder, its thin looking, "both pics are bad" etc. Never would those comments show up if a member here posted a picture and said she had just had a hair cut- good or bad- and wanted to show it off. From what I can tell from your comments, the girl like the new make over, right? So... why knock her down? She cant even defend herself here.

I dunno, I just had to vent my feelings about this.

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2014, 07:44 AM
restless: I understand where you're coming from. I kind of also get how some people on this board are navigating a culture that tells them that long hair is a symptom of "giving up" or being fixed, dull, etc, and I sense people want to depart from that sort of attitude. Naturally, it manifests badly sometimes (present company excluded) and I can see where "I prefer the before look" can often stray into "the new look is not as good/ageing/etc". You bring up a good point, is what I am getting at here.

Anyway, I'm never super excited by the prospect of makeovers because they always tend to sort of end up in the same place; highlights, layers, texturizing spray, etc. To be honest, I do like the end result on her, but I don't think that means the first picture was bad by any stretch.

Peggy E.
February 18th, 2014, 08:35 AM
the before. maybe she would have been happier with it had it more fullness/height on top - bend at the waist, brush it and whip it back up may well have done the trick.

now she's limited to a problem style that is going to take all that time to mess with, doesn't look that great when done, imho, and she can't do a whole lot more to style it. that's what I love about long hair, being able to do so much with it - hard to get all that bored, unless you do the same thing every day, which is easily possible.

bet she misses her long, gorgeous hair very soon....

Scarlet_Heart
February 18th, 2014, 08:45 AM
I think the after looked nice, but of course they styled it at the salon. The before is her natural un-styled hair. I think putting all those layers in her thin hair, if she doesn't style it like that every day, will look very limp and blah now. I think she should have stuck with the long locks. But if she's happy, that's all that matters.

lapushka
February 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
It's the same old, same old. Of course we think the before is better. It's more natural, and long. And these make-overs need to "shock" after all, what do you expect? :shrug:

ErinLeigh
February 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the link, I like reading about makeovers.

I noticed that they said her hair was chemical free and a blank canvas, which I was surprised about, it looked like it had some colour in it, and then later it said she had partial highlights.

Also it was all about her getting a simple style and then they gave her something that needed to be curled to give it the 'texture'.

I think they had to do something very different for the sake of the feature, but I'm not sure it was the best thing for her needs. Personally I prefer the before.

I could have written this word for word. Same thoughts.

spidermom
February 18th, 2014, 11:47 AM
I think this is a perfect example of just how specific you need to be if you tell your hairdresser you want something that is wash and go.

The article says:
"
Because her hair is naturally stick-straight, Mekertichian said the cut would create natural texture for Caitlin and a natural bend in her hair.

"She won't really have to work it," says Mekertichian. "Just a spritz of texturizer and scrunching her ends a little will do the job. It's modern, simple, sexy and sophisticated."
"

Just a spritz of texturizer will make her 1A hair magically transform into the 3A hair they turned it into with a curler?

I'm sure the hairstyle might look nice with minimal styling, but it would have been nice to see what would have happened if the stylist didn't glam it up too much. Then again, she did say she wanted a change! :)

I don't know where you see 3A, which is ringlets. The "after" picture (#7) has a bit of wave to it; not a curl to be seen.

Unofficial_Rose
February 18th, 2014, 12:23 PM
All of the 'afters' just seem to make the wearer look older, even though they're quite nicely done. Her before hair is my dream hair, seems such a shame. It still looks good, but kind of like everyone else now!

sweet&sourkiwi
February 18th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I can't imagine doing a magazine makeover! I feel like a little change is huuuuge to the person wearing it. Then they make it seem like you like it...no magazine would ever say, "afterwards, she wasn't such a fan of her new look." I can say that, I've worked for magazines!

I honestly felt clipping in bangs was almost as much of an update for me as when I went from BSL to super-short crop (which I will probably never have the guts to do again!). I think for real-life makeovers you should work up to it. I feel like she would have gotten enough "change" from a push bang or a few inches off or a little layering or something. But...as pointed out...that does not sell magazines!

But personally, I would have preferred to see her get what she asked for...a low maintenance update that wasn't too shocking!

ErinLeigh
February 18th, 2014, 12:49 PM
I can't imagine doing a magazine makeover! I feel like a little change is huuuuge to the person wearing it. Then they make it seem like you like it...no magazine would ever say, "afterwards, she wasn't such a fan of her new look." I can say that, I've worked for magazines!

I honestly felt clipping in bangs was almost as much of an update for me as when I went from BSL to super-short crop (which I will probably never have the guts to do again!). I think for real-life makeovers you should work up to it. I feel like she would have gotten enough "change" from a push bang or a few inches off or a little layering or something. But...as pointed out...that does not sell magazines!

But personally, I would have preferred to see her get what she asked for...a low maintenance update that wasn't too shocking!

I totally agree. She all but said what she was seeking even tho she gave carte Blanche for the article.
BSL with layers going to APL and some blended bangs could have given her the change she wanted and styling ease for day to day life. Its a pet peeve of mine when stylists go for wow factor of what it looks like walking out of salon with little regard to how it will work for the wearers lifestyle.
I know these articles are published so we can see drastic changes but for once I would like so see something more "middle of the road." A great cut AND something that fits with the person's desires.
Lapushka is right. It's always the same.

Something with this makeover stuck with me enough to post. Usually I look, enjoy and move on. This article leaves you with a sense she secretly didn't like it. The feeling I walked away with was she likes it but knew it would be tough to keep up with. Just my feelings from the tone of it.

bunzfan
February 18th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I prefer the before the after is so blah like every other style out there.

YamaMaya
February 18th, 2014, 02:46 PM
What did they need to bleach for? She's already blonde :roll:. At any rate, I prefer her before, and I take exception to straight hair being called "listless".

woodswanderer
February 18th, 2014, 02:49 PM
Could they ever show a before and after haircut without adding makeup, fancy clothes and a smile to the after pic? It really doesn't give an accurate representation of which looks better.

MeowScat
February 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Another vote for the "before" hair. That cut made her hair look thin. She'll have to style it and get frequent trims to maintain the style. It looks like she will have to use styling products, too. If had she kept it long, she could just run a comb through it and be done. She lost the option of simple updo's to get it out of her face.

jeanniet
February 18th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I like the after look, but agree that it will take some work for her to repeat it. I imagine she would have been just as happy with a few inches off and some light layering with some framing around her face, but then if she wanted a change, maybe this much change is really what she was looking for.

The after hair is definitely not 3A. Maybe 2b.

Carolyn
February 18th, 2014, 04:08 PM
I greatly prefer the before. I think she looks like a soccer mom in the after. Definitely much older. Her before hair looked messy. If it had been freshly washed and dried it would have looked great. At the most a small trim was all that was needed. I would kill for 1a hair. I don't see any problem in discussing her make over. It was posted on a beauty site for public viewing and discussion. It's not like someone secretly snapped before and after pics of someone at a salon and posted them here for us to discuss. I've seen a lot of pics posted by LHC members of their makeovers. The comments are always positive and supportive. However I've personally found many of those pics to be totally cringeworthy so I don't comment since the subject is a member here. In my opinion there is a difference in dissing make over pics that were publicly posted for discussion and dissing pics posted by a member of this site.

velorutionista
February 18th, 2014, 04:10 PM
I like the before pic better just because the after makes her look so much older! Also, the new look is a lot more maintenance/work to create (I'm way too lazy for daily makeup and heat styling, so that's just my own personal preference though!)

torrilin
February 18th, 2014, 04:40 PM
I know I wouldn't be happy with that final cut. My hair is straight enough and fine enough that that cut would wind up looking weird and blocky. And the bangs would get caught in my glasses. Ew. I could see someone with more 2b/2c hair really enjoying a well done dry cut that worked with her texture and had similar shape to that.

It's hard for me to judge whether I think the woman involved is happy. They don't really show us any pictures of styles she wanted, or pictures of how she liked her hair best before. And they don't really discuss how the teaching part went. So chances are like most "makeovers" she's not really going to be satisfied 6 months down the line, unless she keeps working with the expensive magazine stylist. Trying to maintain a curly or wavy look on straight hair is something that takes a fair bit of skill and work.

Tini'sNewHair
February 18th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Agreed! Plus, this just shows that even the high payed professional stylist wont listen to its customers wishes, he did whatever HE wanted with her hair.

I greatly prefer the before. I think she looks like a soccer mom in the after. Definitely much older. Her before hair looked messy. If it had been freshly washed and dried it would have looked great. At the most a small trim was all that was needed. I would kill for 1a hair. I don't see any problem in discussing her make over. It was posted on a beauty site for public viewing and discussion. It's not like someone secretly snapped before and after pics of someone at a salon and posted them here for us to discuss. I've seen a lot of pics posted by LHC members of their makeovers. The comments are always positive and supportive. However I've personally found many of those pics to be totally cringeworthy so I don't comment since the subject is a member here. In my opinion there is a difference in dissing make over pics that were publicly posted for discussion and dissing pics posted by a member of this site.

Kristabeth96
February 18th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Definitely loved it before, in fact if she did more with that and gave her hair more attention and maybe some jazzy make up, she may not have felt the need for a change.

Nadine <3
February 18th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I think the first time she tries to just wash it and go she'll get frustrated with it. I've gone from her original cut to the short layered cut before. I love it until I get home and wash it for the first time and try to let it just dry...at least mine sticks out all over the place :/ As long as she's happy, who cares what I prefer? It's her head.

ErinLeigh
February 18th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Restless this was just an opinion post. The article was posted online so obviously she knows people will have opinions about it that may be discussed.
You cannot put things on the Internet and expect people not to have thoughts and opinions about them if asked. That is just the way I see it. If it really upsets you though hopefully mods will remove it. I just don't think she is being bashed. Nor do I think she needs to defend herself. Its opinions about a makeover. Hair does change what your face looks like. The whole point of a great cut is to accentuate certain features. Some cuts do make cheeks looks rounder. I know certain cuts and colors on me simply do not work with my face. The girl in question is beautiful with either style but it does change her overall appearance, which is the point of a makeover. Some expressed the changes they personally saw. There are many many articles written about what cuts flatter different face shapes so I felt posters were just expressing what they thought did or did not work about the cut. I don't understand the harm but I am very sorry this post is offensive to you. I will take time to think about it though as I find everyone's thoughts and feelings to be valid.

It's really just to me about a stylist who wasn't listening to what the girl deep down wanted for day to day life. Yes she wanted a change and gave carte Blanche but had stylist been listening she would have offered something that works better for better lifestyle. Its a pet peeve of mine when stylists cut for the wow factor of how it looks walking out the salon without regard for what it will take to keep the look going. Without curls I think the cut will make hair look thin. It's also quite an adjustment to go from wash and go to needing heat styling to get a look. Something about this makeover struck me as not being compatible with lifestyle. In my opinion there was a happy medium. APL layers blending into BSL with long bangs could have given her the change she wanted and offer a lot more styling options . To me its not about length. It is about giving someone a style that works for them. Extreme layering is tough to work with. I speak from experience on that. The article leaves you with a sense on her liking it but having reservations you sense she didn't want to express out loud. That is the feeling I was left with anyway from her wording so I threw it up here to what others felt about it. Zero intent on being offensive.

This was not posted to bash the girl who allowed it to be posted on the Internet. I didn't steal it from her facebook page or anything. It was just asking what do you think of a posted article about a makeover and why.
Again my apologies but I do still have to defend the intent of it. No malice intended whatsoever nor did I feel malice from any responses. I guess it just comes down to how you look at it. Of course if someone posts their own pics here they will get support and kindness. But the article wasn't seeking support, it was purely a before/after makeover article and those do garner opinions. Otherwise what was the point of publishing it? Generally things are put on Internet to get hits or get a reaction.
Sorry if this is long. I just felt the need to explain. I never know to make of public shamings.

arr
February 18th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I like the before better, but that just might be because I'm really into long hair (obviously, since I'm a member of this website!)I also feel like in the after picture her hair looks thinner. Also, her particular cut looks like it will need heat styling to make it look good. Which is fine if thats what you want, but i feel like she mentioned somewhere that she wanted low maintenance and that haircut is definitely not low maintenance.

kidari
February 18th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I was looking through some of the other makeovers and saw one where I loved the after and I realized I used to have that same hair cut for a couple years lol. I agree that the after for this makeover is not exactly "wash and go" which is what she wanted.

inanna
February 18th, 2014, 11:32 PM
I don't know where you see 3A, which is ringlets. The "after" picture (#7) has a bit of wave to it; not a curl to be seen.

My bad! Might just be my straightish hair skewing my view, it looked curlier to me. I'm afraid I'm really not very good with hairtyping. :)

The reason that particular part bothered me is that I've been down the road of trying to reach a completely different hairtype with a new haircut. Like someone said, a cut like that might work great with hair that is wavy to start with but if your hair really is straight and sleek and not just weighed down and combed out, it's unlikely to form waves because you've cut it at an angle.

On the subject of makeovers and always going dramatically shorter, I did that myself some years back and I have to say a radical change can feel wonderful if you feel like you're stuck in a rut. I wasn't enjoying my long hair and I loved the shorter cut - which was done taking my hairtype and its properties into account. But I've also had haircuts that required far more effort than I was willing to put in, and they can look like you've just been wrestling a lawnmower.

YumiYume
February 19th, 2014, 12:13 PM
what I noticed by looking at the before and after picture of her and some of the other girls there i that they are made to look dull, boring and sad about themself in the before wearing black-gray- and picture is dark and somehow a bit lifeless. and in the after picture suddenly they are bright, smiling and shiny and superhappy and suddenly can wear chlothes that is colorful and compliments them

the power of comercial and photos.. ofcourse other people want to be as happy as their after-self and go buy dove products and go to saloons, however, I think you saw thrue that and saw the beauty of the hair instead of how the picture is made to look.

It would be interesting if there were a makeover for people who feel a bit down about their hair and having the same long hair year after year just hanging around or simply pony/braid, but instead of cutting it off, they get to be taught some new updos (without heat/styling products) that is not that hard to do that fit their faceshape, and for each hairstyle they get help finding chlothes that fits them/their personality. I would at least be happy in a situation like that :P .. ahh longhaircommunity makeover ^^, I guess most of us are a part of that "makeover" alredy ;)

MeAndTheMaz
February 19th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Put me in the before column also. I don't understand why you would dye blonde hair. . .blonde. Oh right. Up selling.