PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying = Better Hair?

Arwenlily
February 17th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Why does my hair always feel amazing only after I clarify? No matter what conditioner I use after, my hair is almost instantly better. But in between clarifying sessions, my hair looks like crap. Why is this? Am I using the wrong products?

ositarosita
February 17th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Clarifying removes product build up. So when clarifying it's like using your products again for the same time. Nothing wrong with your products.

sweet&sourkiwi
February 17th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I would wager a few reasons:
1) As stated, you're removing product build-up. If your hair does better without those products, or with just one "fresh" application, they may be building up on you. Conditioner counts. So can certain shampoos—especially those with silicones. Even herbs and oils can build, but I'd look at silicones as culprits first since they're pretty tough. I would rotate through ONE shampoo/conditioner/product each week or so to see what might be building. If not building, move on. If building, there's your answer! I'm guessing this is the most likely reason.

2) You may be chelating when you clarify. Are you using a clarifier that also chelates? Is your water hard? It could be you have mineral buildup that finally comes out in chelation.

3) You may be using a protein clarifying wash and maybe your hair likes proteins and doesn't ever get them otherwise. I put this one last because I think proteins only really adhere well in a deep treatment but it's worth considering!

4) If none of that works...there may just be something in your clarifying wash your hair really likes—panthenol, higher acidity, certain type of protein, even sulfates!

clioariane
February 18th, 2014, 01:41 AM
Great advice, kiwi!

Arwenlily
February 18th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I would wager a few reasons:
1) As stated, you're removing product build-up. If your hair does better without those products, or with just one "fresh" application, they may be building up on you. Conditioner counts. So can certain shampoos—especially those with silicones. Even herbs and oils can build, but I'd look at silicones as culprits first since they're pretty tough. I would rotate through ONE shampoo/conditioner/product each week or so to see what might be building. If not building, move on. If building, there's your answer! I'm guessing this is the most likely reason.

2) You may be chelating when you clarify. Are you using a clarifier that also chelates? Is your water hard? It could be you have mineral buildup that finally comes out in chelation.

3) You may be using a protein clarifying wash and maybe your hair likes proteins and doesn't ever get them otherwise. I put this one last because I think proteins only really adhere well in a deep treatment but it's worth considering!

4) If none of that works...there may just be something in your clarifying wash your hair really likes—panthenol, higher acidity, certain type of protein, even sulfates!

Thank you so much for the great advice. Recently I have been using a shampoo that is sulfate-free and is full of different oils. I was also using a conditioner with a decent amount of protein in. It is possible that everything was getting built up and when the clarify I'm starting fresh again. For reference, I used Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo to clarify, I don't think it chelates.

I'm going try to do what you said and figure out what might be building up. Thanks :)

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Many ingredients can build up: butters, silicones, certain polyquats, hydrolysed proteins, waxes including cetyl esters ... Many need to use less protein in winter/ lower dew points.