PDA

View Full Version : How does ACV bring out red hair?

prettyinpink
February 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Hey guys!

I have been trying to figure out how its possible that ACV rinses bring out the red in your hair. I do notice my hair is more red since ACV rinses. Do you know why? or if its permanent? Do you know if the vinegar has to be the raw/unfiltered kind, or can I get the big cheap gallon of it?

The same thing with cinnamon! They say it lightens and reddens hair. I understand the peroxide in cinnamon lightens, but whats in cinnamon that reddens hair?

Thank you so much!! :o

Anje
February 17th, 2014, 10:46 AM
I'm under the impression that ACV deposits some coppery (ACV-colored, LOL) residue. My guess would be that if you switched to white vinegar, it'd eventually go away, but I can't say so for certain. ETA: I've heard some dark-haired folks claim that ACV has lightened their hair. I'm inclined to believe that it's actually this deposited color, but it's worth considering if such a thing would be horribly upsetting to anyone.

As for cinnamon, no idea. I haven't looked into it particularly. It seems plausible that the reddening some people report is just the tendency for lots of hair to do warm orange and yellow tones as it bleaches.

swearnsue
February 17th, 2014, 10:53 AM
A million years ago when I was a kid, I was told that vinegar rinses brought out the natural red highlights in people's hair because it helped rinse out the soap scum from the hair.

I was also told that eating the bread crust makes hair curly.

And if I could kiss my elbow I would turn into a boy!

So, for what it's worth, that is my 2 cents on vinegar and red hair.

Valkyriejae
February 17th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Cheap "ACV" (the stuff that comes in big clear jugs) is often just acetic acid with colour and flavour added. If you're using that, it's possible that it's the food colouring that they use to turn the vinegar red that's making your hair look more reddish...

spidermom
February 17th, 2014, 12:38 PM
ACV has always made my hair look more red, so when I do use vinegar (rarely), I use white vinegar. I don't like vinegar very much. It makes my hair crazy fly-away!

swearnsue
February 17th, 2014, 06:18 PM
Cheap "ACV" (the stuff that comes in big clear jugs) is often just acetic acid with colour and flavour added. If you're using that, it's possible that it's the food colouring that they use to turn the vinegar red that's making your hair look more reddish...

You're kidding! Can't even trust that vinegar is vinegar anymore! What's the up with the food supply???? Geez. I'm going to have to get some serious reading glasses when I go shopping.

Valkyriejae
February 17th, 2014, 06:25 PM
It's still vinegar - it's just white vinegar(acetic acid solution in water) with stuff to make it taste/look/smell like they got it from apple cider instead of straight ethanol...
It's pretty easy to spot though - just check the ingredients :)

You're kidding! Can't even trust that vinegar is vinegar anymore! What's the up with the food supply???? Geez. I'm going to have to get some serious reading glasses when I go shopping.

askan
February 17th, 2014, 08:40 PM
I wonder if anyone has tried red vinegar? I suppose it has a more purple-ish colour, like red wine, but it would be interesting to know if that would deposit colour as well? And of course, if it has the same benefits as ACV..

prettyinpink
February 17th, 2014, 09:13 PM
I'll give red wine vinegar a shot and let you know what happens! Thanks everybody

MaryO
February 18th, 2014, 03:06 AM
I have been using ACV and haven't really seen any colour change in my hair but that said it seems like the types that are found in America are red? Mine is sort of an apple juicy colour (light yellow), maybe that's why?