PDA

View Full Version : Getting hair cut this week. How much?

michelle483
February 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
It's been 4 months since my last haircut. My ends are pretty fried from highlights, blowdrying and flatironing (haven't done any of thesemore than a small handful of times since about June of last year. No more coloring, either). I've done a bit of S&D, but my hair is not long enough for me to do this easily. There are some splits here and there, but more bent and frizzed ends.

I wear my hair up most of the time to try to protect the fragile state of my hair, but some of it has to go. How much do you recommend cutting? As you can see from the pics, I'm growing out layers. The trouble with the layers is that those ends are bit fried, too, so a little will need to go off them. I'm growing them out to be long layers. I like to have some face framing layers and side-swept bangs. My longest layers in the back go down to about chin level. I'd like these far back layers to eventually catch up to the back but I'm in no hurry for that.

1/2" 1 inch? More?

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab191/stoneagemom/CameraZOOM-20140217111257139_zps377dc694.jpg (http://s863.photobucket.com/user/stoneagemom/media/CameraZOOM-20140217111257139_zps377dc694.jpg.html)

michelle483
February 17th, 2014, 10:31 AM
BTW, the above right picture is from 10/10/13, when I last had my hair cut. Left is today.

Crumpet
February 17th, 2014, 10:32 AM
It doesn't look like you need much off to me. Are your ends velcroing? If so, take off a bit more than you mention. If they don't velcro, I think a tiny trim would be fine.

alexis917
February 17th, 2014, 11:25 AM
It doesn't look like you need much off to me. Are your ends velcroing? If so, take off a bit more than you mention. If they don't velcro, I think a tiny trim would be fine.

Second this. Your ends look great.

divinedobbie
February 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM
I agree, your ends look healthy. If you feel they aren't though, I'd take off some but just a little bit.

lunalocks
February 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I'd ask for 1/4 inch off. It is amazing what only 1/4 inch can do.

spidermom
February 17th, 2014, 12:35 PM
No more than half an inch. You do realize that it's really hard to stick to a specific number because every hair on your head has its own growth rate. So while 1/2 inch may be coming off of some areas, to make the cut even, other areas may have only 1/4 or even 1/8 inch coming off while still other areas will be losing an inch. So don't freak out over the longer bits you may see on the floor after the cut.

lapushka
February 17th, 2014, 04:26 PM
It all depends. Can you live with the damage? Is there a lot of it there? Would you be able to solve that by doing S&D sessions instead of trimming? In that case, no trim is necessary. If not, then I'd have 1/2 to 1 inch cut.

GoddesJourney
February 17th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I'd ask for 1/4 inch off. It is amazing what only 1/4 inch can do.

This. Half inch the most.

Chiquita Banana
February 17th, 2014, 05:20 PM
Yep - your hair looks nice. I agree with everyone else. 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch at the most.

walterSCAN
February 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Agreed as well, I's say 1/2" at the very most, and if it were me I'd leave trimming the layers 'til next time. It really doesn't look damaged at all to me, just wavy.

Tini'sNewHair
February 17th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I wouldnt trim at all, just oil it and enjoy the length.

michelle483
February 18th, 2014, 06:39 AM
So I guess a follow up question is how do you know your ends are damaged? The texture of my ends is definitely not all that great. The pic doesn't show it well but they feel kind of straw-like. As far as splits go, I would say about 1 out of every 15-20 hairs has a split end. Another 1-2 out of 15-20 has ragged/bent ends.

I think what I'm going to do is trim off 1/2 inch, then not schedule another appointment. The 1/2 inch gets the worst of it off (the ends that had been processed multiple times).

lapushka
February 18th, 2014, 07:29 AM
Just a straw-like feeling is no reason to cut your hair over. Clarifying should help. Only splits and white dots are damage. Nothing else is, so if you don't have those in copious amounts (just a few), then S&D sessions should be enough! No need to trim in that case!