PDA

View Full Version : Using a demi-pernament dye on previously bleached hair - damage?

divinedobbie
February 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I've been growing out my natural hair for two years (my anniversary is in three days actually :D). The ends of my hair nape down were bleached and redyed to my natural brown with a permanent dye. It has since faded very badly and is very orangey. Actually more very yellow (slightly green) now because I attempted to tone it with koolaid but that didn't work.

I bought a box of Clairol Natural Instincts Brass Free semi permanent dye (28 shampoos) a year ago to redye it but haven't found the courage because I fear more damage. I also recall one other time I dyed my hair with a semi-permanent and it washed out very quickly. I'm afraid I'll put my hair through the dye but it won't be worth it - but then again this time I won't be washing daily and definitely not with an SLS shampoo.

My hair is already very damaged on the ends so I kind of have the "it's not like it can get much worse anyway" mentality since I'll only be applying the dye to the ends. What do you guys think - to dye or not to dye? What if I saturated my hair in coconut oil first? How damaging is semi-permanent dye since it does still have peroxide?

Here is a pic of what I am talking about (this is before kool-aid so imagine it a bit more on the yellow/green side now):
http://i847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/divinedobbie/784bc36b-3957-4ad3-9afd-96abfb8145ac_zpsb5509a7e.jpg (http://s847.photobucket.com/user/divinedobbie/media/784bc36b-3957-4ad3-9afd-96abfb8145ac_zpsb5509a7e.jpg.html)

cheetahfast
February 16th, 2014, 09:55 PM
I had a demi done on "bleached" ends and it took a long long time for it to lighten. I've never done it on my own.

If I were you I'd go for it. What is the point in growing out your hair if you are not happy with it :wink:.
The other option is trimming the ends off since they are "very damaged" as is. I did a big chop before I joined here (I had bad bad heat damage).

0xalis
February 17th, 2014, 11:01 PM
My ends are bleached as well. I redyed my hair back to brown in the summer of 2012 (I'd chopped my hair into a pixie that April, due to bleach damage) but apparently my bleached ends are showing again and idk if I should re-dye them.

When I went brown again I did not get any damage, and my hair looked a lot better, haha.

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Strand tests on shed plughole hair then hidden head hair, don't use your whole head as a laboratory. Consider the effect of repeat treatments. I don't know whether demi permanents are strong enough to eat through coconut oil: hydrolysed wheat or soy protein is also proven to reduce damage.

A high pigment semi should take well on porous bleached ends and does not contain peroxide so is non damaging, some types are actually conditioning since they contain the same major emollients as conditioner. I use the fashion colour type (eg Manic Panic) and mine lasts months with careful cleansing (co-washing in cool water, leave in not wash out conditioner).

divinedobbie
February 18th, 2014, 03:51 PM
The kool-aid has washed out so my hair is back to the colour as in the picture. I did a major S&D session yesterday and I've notice my hair doesn't necessarily have a lot of split ends but tons of those annoying white dots where hair has previously broken off. I was also thinking of trying a deposit only like manic panic but I can't get it anywhere within a 500 km radius of where I live and I don't like to do online shopping. I tried both kool-aid and food colouring as toners but neither worked.

I can't decide whether I want to use the demi or not. I have an interview very soon so it would be nice to have presentable hair but I could just as easily wear it up.

cheetahfast - I love the idea of chopping off my ends and starting fresh but I'd need to chop to my shoulder or even chin. I cut my MBL hair to APL when I decided to grow out the dye and trimmed frequently since - my fine hair is just so stubborn on accumulating damage.

Firefox7275
February 18th, 2014, 04:43 PM
If you have white dots it would not be a wise move to use any peroxide or alkaline agents at all IMO. Hydrolysed protein for strengthening damaged or fine hair.

BrendaLoan
February 18th, 2014, 05:07 PM
I had the ombré look like 2 years ago, and redyed my ends 2 or 3 times back to my natural color with Wella colour touch. I loved it! My ends were always shiny and looked really healthy

Scarlet_Heart
February 20th, 2014, 09:27 AM
You can minimize damage by going to a beauty supply store and buying the dye and developer seperately. If you get level 10 developer, it has just enough peroxide to lift the cuticle of the hair to deposit the color, but not enough to lighten your hair at all. I have done this and it works out nicely. Try an ash tone to counter the brassiness.

SkyChild
February 20th, 2014, 09:56 AM
What Scarlet Heart says. Try and get a professional dye and developer because then you can control the mixture. I've used wella's professional colour like this and it works a treat! (A demi should cover it and will last a long time)

katiebeans
February 20th, 2014, 10:04 AM
You're trying to tone down the orange tones, correct? After lightening my hair in the past I was reluctant to create further damage using a toner + developer and found the solution to use blueberries. I boiled 1 cup of blueberries in 2 cups water which gave me a very purple/blue water after straining the blueberries out. Let cool, pour over hair and rinse. After doing this 2-3 times all the orange tones were gone!

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 10:26 AM
Semis do not contain peroxide so I think its worth trying.
It may fade to a undesirable color but since you are working with that anyway I say why not.
You won't see or feel any visible damage doing this. No clue about under a microscope though :)

If the color bothers you do it, or try henna for a cool ombré! Then it will look intentional instead of old dye growing out :)

Semis make my hair feel better actually. Gives it more substance.
Just be careful the color you put in. All of my visible dye damage came from getting a color I hated and trying to "fix" it.
Use a protein filler (Sally's sells for $2) to ensure even coverage. You can even get a red one to neutralize the green you have.

Good luck. This may help you enjoy hair while you slowly trim off the dye.

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 10:29 AM
You're trying to tone down the orange tones, correct? After lightening my hair in the past I was reluctant to create further damage using a toner + developer and found the solution to use blueberries. I boiled 1 cup of blueberries in 2 cups water which gave me a very purple/blue water after straining the blueberries out. Let cool, pour over hair and rinse. After doing this 2-3 times all the orange tones were gone!

That's creative! I remember in OPs kool aid thread thinking the experiment would have actually worked with a purple/blue kool aid instead of the green. I didn't think the hair was orange enough for green to work. I can totally see how blueberries would work. Cool tip :)

If I recall from pics OPs hair is not orange anymore. It went yellow/green.
Raspberries anyone?

katiebeans
February 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
If I recall from pics OPs hair is not orange anymore. It went yellow/green.
Raspberries anyone?

You're right, I totally missed that she said that :doh: Interestingly enough I had a green hair issue once as well. My solution: ketchup.

ErinLeigh
February 20th, 2014, 01:28 PM
You're right, I totally missed that she said that :doh: Interestingly enough I had a green hair issue once as well. My solution: ketchup.

I have ketchup on my hair as we speak! I cannot believe you just said that! I just applied and logged in. I am glad to hear it can work. How long did you leave it on? I have only 40mins before needing to shower for work. My highlights have a khaki tone to them grrr.
Also, I am not 100 percent sure about peroxide in semi so figured I better correct that. It could be low level. I think semi is the deposit only and demi is low peroxide but someone can correct me if wrong as I haven't looked it up yet.

SkyChild
February 20th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Ketchup is great for that! Leave it on for the 40 minutes. If it ends up too orangey then you can koolaid it out. I have it on good authority *wink*

Seriously? I think 40 is maybe a bit much. Looking at the time of your post though, I suspect this post is too late

divinedobbie
February 20th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Blueberries are an interesting suggestion and might work because the green faded and it's now back to the same orange colour. I did do test strands with both a purple-blue koolaid and green. The purple-blue came out very mahogany whereas the green was ashier so I went for it, but unfortunately it didn't turn out as well on my head. I have some frozen blueberries in the freezer - did you use them fresh? I think I will try them anyway and see what happens. How many washes do the blueberries typically withstand.

The semi dye I have does contain hydrogen peroxide. I didn't think it did but I looked at a second ingredients list and it is there, not sure what level though.

Firefox7275
February 20th, 2014, 07:37 PM
If there is peroxide it's a demi permanent not a semi AFAIK.

divinedobbie
February 20th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Oops sorry, I did mean to say demi. I got started on the right foot in the title and then I confused myself in the description. Sorry for any confusion!

katiebeans
February 21st, 2014, 08:53 AM
I have used both fresh and frozen blueberries, both are effective. I am not sure of how many washes this withstands as I have only done this over bleached hair to achieve a more true color with pink and purple dyes :)