PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Softeners?

Mahars
March 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I read a post on the old LHC that there are some ingredients used in conditioners that are also used in fabric softeners. The post said that they make the hair feel artificially soft and pliable but that they ultimately weaken the hair overtime. I don't remember what the ingredient is, but I think it was something like methosulfate. Has anyone heard this or have any thoughts on it?

akurah
March 19th, 2008, 12:22 PM
It's silicone.

Mahars
March 19th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it was something else the other post was referring to. It didn't say the ingredient blocks out moisture like a silicone - it said the ingredient makes the hair soft and spongy and weak. I just wish I remembered what it was.

alys
March 19th, 2008, 02:20 PM
On a somewhat related topic that's a little scary, it's common knowledge that propylene glycol is often used is most mainstream shampoos (it helps as a foaming agent). It's also one of 3 main ingredients found in antifreeze (the green stuff you put in your radiator). Funny how we dont mind using it.
Here is a list of commonly used fabric softener ingredients and a link to the site I found them in:
Alpha-TERPINEOL /ETHANOL / BENZYL ACETATE / ETHYL ACETATE**/ BENZYL ALCOHOL /LIMONENE*** /CAMPHOR /LINALOOL/ CHLOROFORM / PENTANE*
www.ameliaww.com/fpin/fabric1softeners.htm (http://www.ameliaww.com/fpin/fabric1softeners.htm)

*Pentane is used in shaving gel as well as fabric softener. (endocrine disruption, irritating to the skin, eyes and lungs)
** Ethyl Acetate is used in nail polish remover, toothpaste and fabric softener. (carcingoen, reproductive & developmental toxicity, skin irritant)
***Limonene is used in shampoo, hair color, fabric softener, facial cleanser, any lots more. (allergen, organ system toxicity, immune system toxicant)

Thats all I've got time for, but the info is out there for those that care to read it.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/)

Sian100
March 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I would probably try it to see for myself :oops: if most fabric conditioners didn't have a horribly overpowering fragrance. I don't use them on my own clothes (I wear a bit of perfume every day and it would clash anyway) but I can tell my work colleague does as I can smell fabric conditioner when she passes me. :bigeyes: Not bad on clothes, but imagine that in your hair.

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 09:07 AM
On a somewhat related topic that's a little scary, it's common knowledge that propylene glycol is often used is most mainstream shampoos (it helps as a foaming agent). It's also one of 3 main ingredients found in antifreeze (the green stuff you put in your radiator). Funny how we dont mind using it.
Here is a list of commonly used fabric softener ingredients and a link to the site I found them in:
Alpha-TERPINEOL /ETHANOL / BENZYL ACETATE / ETHYL ACETATE**/ BENZYL ALCOHOL /LIMONENE*** /CAMPHOR /LINALOOL/ CHLOROFORM / PENTANE*
www.ameliaww.com/fpin/fabric1softeners.htm (http://www.ameliaww.com/fpin/fabric1softeners.htm)

*Pentane is used in shaving gel as well as fabric softener. (endocrine disruption, irritating to the skin, eyes and lungs)
** Ethyl Acetate is used in nail polish remover, toothpaste and fabric softener. (carcingoen, reproductive & developmental toxicity, skin irritant)
***Limonene is used in shampoo, hair color, fabric softener, facial cleanser, any lots more. (allergen, organ system toxicity, immune system toxicant)

Thats all I've got time for, but the info is out there for those that care to read it.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/)

Fascinating. You know what ELSE is a primary ingredient in anti-freeze? WATER. Everybody better stop drinking it ASAP!

Magdalene
March 20th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Fascinating. You know what ELSE is a primary ingredient in anti-freeze? WATER. Everybody better stop drinking it ASAP!

lol. Way to put things back in perspective :D

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM
lol. Way to put things back in perspective :D

A number of those "toxic" ingredients (I see at least two, arguably three) are main components of a number of essential oils. One of them is actually edible and won't hurt you much more than getting drunk will.

Granted, some of them probably aren't the best things for you, but unless you're eating it, I suspect you won't be hurt by it.

If you're going to be concerned about the chemicals you put in or on your body you need to do a lot more research and reading up on them than what a single site provides, because many of those "educational" sites are fearmongering sites in disguise.

Magdalene
March 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
A number of those "toxic" ingredients (I see at least two, arguably three) are main components of a number of essential oils. One of them is actually edible and won't hurt you much more than getting drunk will.

Granted, some of them probably aren't the best things for you, but unless you're eating it, I suspect you won't be hurt by it.

If you're going to be concerned about the chemicals you put in or on your body you need to do a lot more research and reading up on them than what a single site provides, because many of those "educational" sites are fearmongering sites in disguise.

I was actually agreeing with you. I think we get a little too uptight about all the random chemicals we MIGHT come in contact with in passing sometimes. Caution is good, but it can be taken too far.

akurah
March 20th, 2008, 10:46 AM
I was actually agreeing with you. I think we get a little too uptight about all the random chemicals we MIGHT come in contact with in passing sometimes. Caution is good, but it can be taken too far.

Oh I knew you were agreeing, my apologies if I was unclear. I was clarifying for others who didn't have the time to run a-googling or whatnot for more info.

I'd give a flower but I'm posting from my phone and have yet to figure out the fine art of emoticons as it pertains to my Sidekick.

Magdalene
March 20th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Oh I knew you were agreeing, my apologies if I was unclear. I was clarifying for others who didn't have the time to run a-googling or whatnot for more info.

I'd give a flower but I'm posting from my phone and have yet to figure out the fine art of emoticons as it pertains to my Sidekick.

No worries :):flower:

:brainbleach:I just found this smilie. It's called "brainbleach"!